Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

RepHope

Savant
That’s a pretty quick turnaround on TOW2 if it’s already playable. I was surprised they announced it so soon since I thought they’d wait until after Avowed came out.

That’s a pretty quick turnaround on TOW2 if it’s already playable. I was surprised they announced it so soon since I thought they’d wait until after Avowed came out.

I assume it uses the same engine and mostly the same assets as the first game, in this case it's not very surprising that it's already playable in some form.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Devs try to make their games playable as quickly as possible. Doesn't mean they're anywhere near complete. He could have been playing a test build with wireframe maps and placeholder character models.

Last edited:

Aoyagi

Scholar
Any idea if that Eternity 2D/3D technology (reused in Torment as well) is going to have some future use? I thought it looked really nice.

Outer Worlds 2 is already playable huh. :M

Could be just a vertical slice.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sawyer is a huge fan of using buffs to pass dialogue checks so it makes sense that will be an element in his Disco clone.
yea that makes some sense. he said many times he wanted "alternative" (non combat) game for him; making a plagiat of Disco would be a solid choice. It's even a game that not just consoles but even tablets could run. if I was Ferg-rus I'd approve it.

meanwhile, their 2 flagships are copies of bethesda fantasy game and bethesda fallout respectively.

a solid strategy for what one could call a "Fallen Empire" studio that can't afford traditional RPGs no more.

a problem I see tho, is that Josh is not an insane estonian novelist.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
Some new writers at Obsidian:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joefiel...ofile:ACoAAAH1zZkBpd63M4-aJWoBHWlPuxf8teXPZCA

Joe Fielder, he has worked on Bioshock Infinite, Deathloop and Ghosts of Tsushima. (+ multiple other games as well).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kdmhoon...ofile:ACoAAAnz7ykBn4IQPCfoDQ2wC085SJFNxK8AV5U

Kelsie Mhoon. 3 years of experience, don't know any of the games she worked on. Now working on Outer Worlds 2. And since for Codex people hair color is everything, her hair color is natural.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lismobe...ofile:ACoAAAp4mn4BddO4pentS2Oa74vMh0NhU_A7Tro

Lis M. (cba to find her full name). Experience from Avalanche and few smaller studios.

There's a 4th new hire as well. I think he had very limited experience (his LinkedIn was open before, now it's closed and can't see it anymore).

Also they hired a guy in suit:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcus-...ofile:ACoAAATA55oBg3JEmtI6Nxm_WbFdIvlEMTqRLtk

Replacent for Parker and possibly in the future for Feargus?

agris

Arcane
Patron

Flou

Arbiter
Also bunch of new artists, producers, audio guys and some animators. Too many to list here. LinkedIn has them at 245 which probably mean they are above 225 now.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Head of Strategy and Operations
Obsidian Entertainment

Jul 2021 - Present 3 months

Los Angeles Metropolitan Area

Lead business operation functions such as HR, legal, communications, and business development for Obsidian Entertainment – a premiere Xbox game studio.

Accountable for creating a studio environment that enables the development of beloved games and delivering a strategy that enables us to reach and exceedingly satisfy players around the world.

Microsoft

2 years 1 month

Senior Manager, Global Product Marketing - Xbox Game Studios

Aug 2020 - Jul 2021 1 year

:lol: It's over for Obsidian's former owners, they messed up so much with Avowed that they have an official babysitter.

Flou

Arbiter
:lol: It's over for Obsidian's former owners, they messed up so much with Avowed that they have an official babysitter.

I don't think he is there just because of Avowed. He is there to actually change the damn culture at Obsidian which by some is quite fucking toxic (if you trust the Glassdoor reviews). They are not independent anymore, so I'm quite sure MS will do an interview on those who leave the company and if they see damn pattern there (Parker, Feargus etc. creating a horrible environment), they will react. Obviously they can't fire Feargus as it would be a huge PR issue for them and probably would cost them a lot of money to get rid of the owners sooner rather than later.

That's a lot of if's though. There are only few recent reviews from Obsidian to begin with. 3/200 people saying it's toxic doesn't necessarily mean it is that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom