Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 announced

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Haemimont Games; Jagged Alliance 3; THQ Nordic

Just when you thought the corpse of Jagged Alliance could finally rest in peace, someone always comes around with a shovel to dig it up one more time, and the results are never pretty.

Whether that will be the same for the freshly exhumed announced Jagged Alliance 3 by Haemimont Games (later Tropicos, Victor Vran) remains to be seen. Right now we only have a cheap trailer and a few vague bullet points from the Steam page to base any speculation on:

Grand Chien, a nation of rich natural resources and deep political divides, is thrown into chaos when the elected president goes missing and a paramilitary force known as “The Legion” seizes control of the countryside. Now, the President’s family has pulled together all their resources, including an arrangement with the powerful Adonis corporation, to hire a group of skilled mercenaries tasked with finding the President and bringing order back to the country.

In Jagged Alliance 3, select from a huge cast of mercenaries all with their own unique personalities, quirks, and backstories. Then go out and explore Grand Chien as you meet new people, earn money, grow your team, and ultimately make your own decisions that will decide the country’s fate.
  • Engage in rich, tactical turn-based combat
  • Recruit from a large cast of unique mercenaries, including many familiar fan favorites
  • Loot, salvage, and customize an arsenal of weaponry and equipment
  • Choose from a wide array of special perks to customize your mercs as they level up
  • Decide the fate of Grand Chien in an open RPG structure
  • Control territory, train the locals, command multiple parties, and defend against enemy forces in an alive, active world
  • Experience the campaign with friends in online co-op mode

At least it mentions "turn-based" for once.

axx

Savant
So judging by the recent JA1 and TQ giveaway we're probably also getting Titan Quest 2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The other announcement trailer did have gameplay footage 1 minute in which consisted of a nu-xcom style over the shoulder view and some npcs wandering around the map.

ye i watched the ronk trailer some faget posted in the other thread, updated the OP with the correct one

at least it has action points and aiming at body parts, but the general nuxcommy looks and awesome button abilities don't leave me particularly optimistic

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The other announcement trailer did have gameplay footage 1 minute in which consisted of a nu-xcom style over the shoulder view and some npcs wandering around the map.

ye i watched the ronk trailer some faget posted in the other thread, updated the OP with the correct one

at least it has action points and aiming at body parts, but the general nuxcommy looks and awesome button abilities don't leave me particularly optimistic
With JA3 getting front page news I'd like to see some Urban Strife content once the demo comes out since it seems to follow the design of JA2 and will probably be more of an RPG than any nu-JA game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This would lose my attention in about 3 seconds if it wasn't made by Haemimont. Tropico was a lot of fun and Surviving Mars is in my Top 10 of the last decade. I was actually looking fwd to their next project.

These Bulgars have tons of experience and they can into games. Cautiously optimistic.

Cross

Arcane
"вот дерьмо" (с.)

nuXcom with base building and crafteng.

pass.
Looks a fair bit more sophisticated than nuXcom. No doubt they dumbed down stuff, but they appear to have retained at least some mechanics of JA2, such as different stances, action points, being able to aim at different body parts and spend action points to improve accuracy.

deuxhero

Arcane
Surprised everyone in the pre-rendered video has trigger discipline. Doesn't appear to be counting rounds in the chamber though.

I didn't realize that was Vicki till the gameplay footage named her. The dreads are new and she looks a lot darker (I always thought she was mixed race, but that could have been a tech limit on colors). Still, she doesn't look or act like generic CURRENT YEAR black woman so, eh. Also Ambidexterity IS her skill and starting equipment in JA2, so there's a reason for her to have two pistols. The brief look at MD's portrait makes him look a bit fat, but it could be an actual plot thing to explain why his cost is so low despite an actual doctorate (MD has developed an eating disorder and has low stamina as a result).

deuxhero

Arcane
Going by the brief look at the recruitment screen, there's room for 96 AIM mercs (more if there's an option for pages, but also possibly less) which is good since AIM in JA2 had only 40

Looks good. Good 'ol Vicki, Ivan, and Fidel seem like they've retained their characters. Hopefully Biff and his MERC org makes an appearance too so I can recruit librarians and drug addicts and give them guns.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Graphically it resembles Desperados 3 (also from THQ Nordic) but it's being done by a different studio (although I wouldn't be surprised if some Desperados assets were used). Might be not that bad TBH.

deuxhero

Arcane
Looks good. Good 'ol Vicki, Ivan, and Fidel seem like they've retained their characters. Hopefully Biff and his MERC org makes an appearance too so I can recruit librarians and drug addicts and give them guns.

If you want to give horrible people guns, the gay pedophile (redundancy) Fidel is confirmed
No. Really. JA1 he says "Fidel no like dis!" if a woman uses the hand on him while males make him say "I see you later, no?", while JA2 has... this.
Sorry I no contact you sooner. They take Fidel's computer. They say the find files of bad pictures. Is not true. I no know how they get there. Right now is good time for job far away. You come to AIM, we talk.
I wonder if they'll actually mention this in the new game

Humbaba

Arcane
XCOM: Jagged Alliance Edition. Hard pass. It's not gonna be better than JA2. Fuck, it's not even gonna be better than XCOM 2 even without the expansion. Also Ivan speaks English wtf????

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Uh-hu, this was unexpected tbh fam. Aiming looks kinda like what is planed for End State, kinda surprising. In any case I estimate the chances of this not being complete shit to be about 5 %. Could have been worse, I guess...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom