Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 announced

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Did anybody say Jagged XCOM yet?
Jag-Com.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Which attempt on making a sequel to Jagged Alliance is it anyway?

Doesn't look anything like a proper sequel to Jagged Alliance, but might be a decent game by itself.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could be fun maybe. The JA spirit comes in other forms anyhow - like Urban Strife and Project Haven.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The other announcement trailer did have gameplay footage 1 minute in which consisted of a nu-xcom style over the shoulder view and some npcs wandering around the map.

Negative on the nuXcom AP system tho, you can see granular 6/14 AP available, for example. Not X-com level of TUs, but acceptable.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Negative on the nuXcom AP system tho, you can see granular 6/14 AP available, for example. Not X-com level of TUs, but acceptable.
It's not enough just to have AP, I want the system to be like JA2 where every turn is a representation of 5 seconds and AP is a measure of how much a merc can do within those 5 seconds and how getting shot/spending more time to aim is represented with loss/extra spending of AP. I want there to be complex simulation under the hood that can be intuitively understood with basic logic.

theLorry

Educated
It's getting late in the year, I could use another dumpster fire to stay warm.
Now, the President’s family has pulled together all their resources, including an arrangement with the powerful Adonis corporation, to hire a group of skilled mercenaries tasked with finding the President and bringing order back to the country.​
And to everybody's shocked surprise, the company will turn out to be all evul and betray the player in 3...2...​

Wizfall

Cipher
Wow...yes far from the first "sequel" but it the first time they dare to name it JAG 3
I like the cinematic, not perfect (in my mind Ivan is more beeffy among other things) but it's funny got the spirit right (Fidel is awesome voice included).

The gameplay on the other hand seems very weak ("small" map, no complex aim system etc..) and i don't like the in gmae graphics and view angle...
So not optimistic about this...

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's not enough just to have AP, I want the system to be like JA2 where every turn is a representation of 5 seconds and AP is a measure of how much a merc can do within those 5 seconds and how getting shot/spending more time to aim is represented with loss/extra spending of AP. I want there to be complex simulation under the hood that can be intuitively understood with basic logic.
Oh ok yeah no way we’ll get that

m_s0

Arcane
Looks a fair bit more sophisticated than nuXcom. No doubt they dumbed down stuff, but they appear to have retained at least some mechanics of JA2, such as different stances, action points, being able to aim at different body parts and spend action points to improve accuracy.
And that one scene transition showing a grid view is distinctly JA1-flavoured which is a nice nod. I think they're actually... kind of trying this time.

Kind of, because that writing sample for Igor is lazy and terrible: he reads more like Steroid than himself.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tropico was a lot of fun

Haemimont Tropico was good mechanically, but they also cut the heart and soul out of it. Tropico was about the Caribbean during the Cold War, but they made it generic. Jagged Alliance is about the whole subculture of mercenaries and bullshitters pretending to be mercenaries writing in Soldier of Fortune magazine in the 1980s. I don't want to be pessimistic, but this again is something that Bulgarians can't possibly understand no matter how much they mean well. And you really need to have experience with French Canadians to fully appreciate "La Malice".

So my guess is this will turn out to be a competent effort at remaking the game mechanically, but without any of the humor of the real thing.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
looks like nuxcom with skins, doesn't look like JA2 1.13 much, AP system looks simplified

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
JA2 v1.13 isn’t the goal and shouldn’t be. It’s modder autism and has no place in the market.

I’m calling you out CRD suck it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom