Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outcast - A New Beginning - sequel from original devs and THQ Nordic

Codex Year of the Donut

Murk

Arcane
outcast2.com has a sign-in/log-in prompt like a company's internal site (to me, anyway).

The dev's previous games do not inspire confidence

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Appeal Studios
Appeal is the same developer that made the original Outcast, and the well-received remake.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Appeal

Not sure why they have two Steam developer pages.

Searching (lazily) around more, it looks like they were merged with THQ Nordic -- name change may have happened then?

The website ( https://www.appeal-studios.com/ ) is just a flyer saying this.

I retract some of my previous snark, but given the original was in 99 and the modern day studio has only the remake to praise, I'm not sure what to think.

It's been nearly 17 years since I touched Outcast but have fond memories of it from my teenage years. Who knows, maybe it'll be fine. Unlikely though :(

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Outcast 2 is the poor man's Avatar :|

Edit: They also fucked up the character of Cutter Slade.

2021-09-17-21-32-29.png

ADL

Prophet
I'm really happy that they're targeting current gen spec sheet as a baseline for development instead of being held back by those netbooks masquerading as consoles from last time. Looks pretty damn good for what I assume is a budget title. If a sequel to this happened any sooner it would've been held back by crappy hardware.

Jinn

Arcane
Never played the remake, but love the original. Is the remake worth a buy?

If you feel like replaying the game, except in a much prettier and smoother form, then absolutely. They made it extremely faithfully and I'd say it's the superior version.

Very excited about this announcement. Came out of nowhere for me. I didn't imagine Appeal would get the support to make the sequel like I knew they wanted to do, because of how poorly the remaster seemed to do. I think they'll do an awesome job with it and I am looking forward to it.

Riskbreaker

It's pretty much the original running on a different engine, with new assets. The game as game is much the same down to Outcast's trademark slow projectiles. And it is pretty to look at and is faithful to the original aesthetics save for one are that lost a bit of its specific autumnal look and atmosphere.
I'd say that the original has its peculiar "aura" for its uniqueness at the time, its weird semi-voxely visuals, but this has nothing to do with the functionality.

I do wonder what someone playing the remake/remaster for the first time today would make of it. For in many ways, Outcast is an anticipation of modern open world game. For better or worse. Which is why I'm not too excited for the sequel for it may actually be faithful to the original or the old planned sequel and yet turn out to be something very familiar and mundane, something akin to another Ubisoft-style open world game made on significantly smaller budget.

MasPingon

Arcane

If you feel like replaying the game, except in a much prettier and smoother form, then absolutely. They made it extremely faithfully and I'd say it's the superior version.

Very excited about this announcement. Came out of nowhere for me. I didn't imagine Appeal would get the support to make the sequel like I knew they wanted to do, because of how poorly the remaster seemed to do. I think they'll do an awesome job with it and I am looking forward to it.
No, remake is definitely not prettier nor smoother, play Outcast 1.1 instead. Remake loose a charm of original voxel world, it feels clunky for a modern game and the world of Adelpha doen't give you this wow effect no more . It feels like Unity Engine game it is.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
If there's one good thing to say about it, it's that they actually stuck a "2" at the end of the name, instead of a "The" in front.

I love the original but I really don't like the remake. Looks like plastic, feels like a cheap Unity game, Cutter Slade looks like an even cheaper copy of that smart guy from Unchartered (instead of the grumpy old veteran he is), and the Twon-Ha... the funniest part was to ride this wonky beast and be able to climb every height ny jumping. Who the hell thought it to be a good idea to cut the Twon-Ha's jumping ability in the remake?

Edit: They also fucked up the character of Cutter Slade.

Agreed. He was pure cringe in that trailer.
Yeah, that was the worst part of the otherwise rather interesting trailer. The guy looks and acts like an utter moron.
But I do have to admit I didn't know talan women could become dolotai. In the original game there was a rather strict and rigid social and sexual order after all. Did the liberals take over Adelpha after Fae-Rhan was defeated? Anyway, the landscapes look great.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Meet the Devs of Outcast 2: Game Director Pablo Coma and Technical Game Designer Arno Vanden Branden tell you about how they joined the team at Appeal Studios, why they love working on Outcast 2 - A New Beginning, and more. Are you ready to return to Adelpha?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Meet the Devs of Outcast 2: Senior Concept Artist Raphaël Villegas and Art Director Michaël Defroyennes talk about their first contact with Outcast and their contribution to the franchise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Meet the Devs of Outcast 2: Technical Director Cyrille Wagner and Tools & Systems Programmer Léa Heitz tell you about their first contact with Outcast and how they joined the team at Appeal Studios, why they love working on Outcast 2 - A New Beginning, and more. Are you ready to return to Adelpha?

SlamDunk

Arcane
Outcast 2 material coming on August 12 at the THQ Nordic 2022 Digital Showcase. Hopefully a gameplay clip.

Retweeted by THQ Nordic:

EDIT:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom