Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

A horse of course

What do you guys think of fallout 4? I was thinking maybe getting some mods that turn it into a shooter or stalker lite with minimal rpg elements.

Fallout 4 VR is pretty notorious, apparently even worse than SkyrimVR. Odd, since you'd think a firearm-oriented setting would work better, but it was done before Skyrim VR and is even more of a lazy hackjob.

Dexter

Arcane
What do you guys think of fallout 4? I was thinking maybe getting some mods that turn it into a shooter or stalker lite with minimal rpg elements.

Fallout 4 VR is pretty notorious, apparently even worse than SkyrimVR. Odd, since you'd think a firearm-oriented setting would work better, but it was done before Skyrim VR and is even more of a lazy hackjob.
There is a F4 VR "Mod pack" made by as far as I can tell some sort of autistic tranny trying to turn it more into a "Survival" game:
https://www.roadtovr.com/fallout-4-vr-essential-mod-list/
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KjAhJ3RAqUxp5TYivW7fjSC_XVEuAafiJmHfCVnb2VI/
This overhaul is NOT easy, this is meant to be an immersive survival rpg. You can customize things to your liking but the default is a game where there is NO Compass and NO HUD. VATS is turned into BULLET TIME (No auto targeting) The AI is also SMART and WILL USE TACTICS against you, Combat is FAST PACED and DANGEROUS there WILL be Random Ambushes! Radiation is actually deadly.

Dexter

Arcane
REMakes apparently getting VR Mods:

Also the Myst Remake with VR Support released a few days ago:

Razor

Arcane
This could be absolutely terrifying. Bring on Fatal Frame!

Fatal Frame was one of the first VR candidates I thought of when researching test subjects for Vorpx. Sadly no dice although I am surprised they have not developed a Fatal Frame specifically for VR: the camera gameplay is perfect for cheap thrills.

Anything Gamebyro related IMO is a automatic buy default-> plug it in with Vorpx. Mod support is key here as I am not sure how the cash-grab VR versions play along with them. Also you will be paying 60 bucks for a single VR version when for 35 bucks you can rig all of them with Vorpx on top of many, MANY other games more or less successfully.

Last edited:

Arbaces

Novice
I know it's old news, but openmw-vr evokes a sense of wonder that few other games in VR have matched. I couldn't believe how different it felt being in Morrowind instead looking at it through a flat screen. Morrowind's strong point was always the art direction, but in VR it's turned up to 11. All the experiences and sights seem fresh yet familiar: the alien majesty of the Telvanni towers, constant harassment from cliff-racers, dark dwemer ruins, getting ambushed by Fargoth outside the census office. It controls surprisingly slick (after configuring buttons to my taste), and is by far the best retrofit of a complex non VR game I've played that wasn't a cockpit sim. Have there been any other RPGs in VR that can compare?

Dexter

Arcane
Former PSVR tabletop RPG Table of Tales has also hit Steam last week:

Sam & Max: This Time It's Virtual is also out on PC to largely bad user reviews, seems to be a rather bare-bones Port of the Quest version with many bugs and technical issues that entails:

Coming out today (VR version apparently in an Update in October): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcl2-0Jrcc

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Just tried this one, my joints are failing, but its a prettty good indie dungeon crawl. I recommend it to the other old farts who dont care much about money, as its still a bit expensive for what it is.

Dexter

Arcane

Btw. aside from the PSVR2 announced some time ago, there's various rumors of another Valve HMD with possible Linux-based Standalone functionality Codenamed "Deckard" and the long-rumored Apple AR/VR Hybrid hitting in late 2022:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex...hz_markerless_insideout_tracking_for_index_2/

https://uploadvr.com/report-apple-headset-launch-window/
The Information, Bloomberg and analyst Ming-Chi Kuo all claim Apple will release a sleek AR-VR headset as early as 2022 with high resolution color cameras. In February The Information claimed to have viewed images of a late-stage prototype “which show a sleek, curved visor attached to the face by a mesh material and swappable headbands”. The outlet drew an impression:

TheInformationAppleVR.jpg

The report claims the product is in a second phase of prototype testing, with mass production slated for Q2 2022 in time for a launch later in the year.

Arbaces

Novice
The moment the steamdeck was announced, I assumed Valve was working on a standalone headset. It is likely that the steamdeck was more of a trial run to acclimate their engineers to mobile hardware. Luckily for them it happens to be well received. Valve will totally embarrass the OpenPandora team and the rest of the Linux handheld market (lol) by launching earlier than the Pyra, with far higher specs, at roughly same price point. On the topic of Linux: I've found that most VR games work surprisingly well with Proton. I might snatch up an original PSVR headset for cheap when PSVR2 launches because even though it's shit, there is an open source driver in the monado project that I want to try out.

If anyone can bring VR to the mainstream, it is Apple. Even among regular people Facebook has a reputation of being untrustworthy and creepy: not good for selling devices with lots of sensors. I've been waiting for a decent AR headset for ages, but at this point I'm almost willing to pay the apple premium if they've cracked low latency color passthrough. As long as I can use it as a massive private desktop screen when I'm out in public and stream additional cameras like the System Shock Sensaround module I'm sold.

Dexter

Arcane
https://happywarrior.substack.com/p/re4vr
https://nichegamer.com/resident-evil-4-vr-censorship/
https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/10/04/capcom-heavily-censors-dialogue-in-resident-evil-4-vr/
Capcom Heavily Censors Dialogue In Resident Evil 4 VR
Spencer Baculi
October 4, 2021

In what is sure to be a cause for dismay among many, if not all, of the game’s original fans, it appears that the upcoming VR release of Capcom’s classic Resident Evil 4 will feature heavy censorship of the game’s more ‘risque’ and innuendo-laden dialogue.

According to information provided to Bounding Into Comics by an individual who was able to play a recent build of the game and personally reviewed by our staff as well as reported by the Happy Warrior substack, numerous bits of dialogue uttered during Leon Kennedy’s Eastern European adventures have been altered, or in most cases outright removed, ostensibly out of fear of social media backlash.

A list of some of these censorious alterations, as well as transcripts of each given scene’s updated script, can be seen below.

[...]

Additionally, two instances of written text have also been altered.

The first is the ‘Secure the Ballistics’ achievement, awarded to the player for staving off a horde of villagers following the aforementioned conversation between Luis, Leon, and Ashley, which has been renamed to simply ‘Secure Ashley.’
2021.10.04-05.11-boundingintocomics-615b35bb5742c-1340x385.jpg

Source: Resident Evil 4 VR (2021), Capcom

And the second is Leon’s assertion of “Guess there’s no sex discrimination around here” upon his discovery of an impaled body of a female villager early in his quest, which now instead reads, “I guess no one’s safe here.”

2021.10.01-07.56-boundingintocomics-615767da3bc5e-1340x754.jpg

Source: Resident Evil 4 (2005), Capcom

2021.10.04-05.11-boundingintocomics-615b35a96ef06.jpg

Source: Resident Evil 4 VR (2021), Capcom

Further, whether Resident Evil 4 VR’s censorship entails solely the above examples or if there will be more instances throughout the game remains to be seen.

Various examples and videos inside.
Original:
Ingrid Hannigan: Leon, I hope you can hear me. I’m Ingrid Hannigan. I’ll be your support on this mission.
Leon Kennedy: Loud and clear. Somehow I thought you’d be a little older. So the subject’s name’s Ashley Graham. Right?
Ingrid Hannigan: That’s right.

Updated:
Ingrid Hannigan: Leon, I hope you can hear me. I’m Ingrid Hannigan. I’ll be your support on this mission.
Leon Kennedy: Loud and clear. So the subject’s name’s Ashley Graham, right.
Ingrid Hannigan: That’s right.

Original:
Ingrid Hannigan: Leon, it’s been six hours since our last transmission. I was starting to get worried.
Leon Kennedy: Don’t you mean lonely? Anyway, I started to feel dizzy, and then I guess I must have lost consciousness.

Updated:
Ingrid Hannigan: Leon, it’s been six hours since our last transmission. I was starting to get worried.
Leon Kennedy: I started to feel dizzy and then I guess I must have lost consciousness.

Original:
Luis Sera: Small world, eh? Well, I see that the President’s equipped his daughter with ballistics too…
Ashley Graham: How rude! And I don’t believe there’s any relevance with my figure and my standing. Who are you?
Luis Sera: Oh, excuse me, Your Highness. Perhaps the young lady might want to introduce herself first before asking someone his name

Updated:
Luis Sera: Small world, eh?
Ashley Graham: Who are you?
Luis Sera: Ho ho, excuse me, Your Highness. Perhaps the young lady might want to introduce herself first before asking someone his name.

Original:
Ashley Graham: So after you take me back to my place, how about we do some overtime?
Leon Kennedy: Huh…sorry.
Ashley Graham: Somehow I knew you’d say that, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, you know? So, who was that woman anyway?
Leon Kennedy: Why do you ask?
Ashley Graham: Come on, tell me!
Leon Kennedy: She’s like a part of me I can’t let go. Let’s leave it at that.

Updated:
Ashley Graham: So, who was that woman anyway?
Leon Kennedy: Why do you ask?
Ashley Graham: Come on, tell me!
Leon Kennedy: She’s like a part of me I can’t let go. Let’s leave it at that.

Original:
Leon Kennedy: I’ve rescued this subject. We’re returning home.
Ingrid Hannigan: You did it, Leon!
Leon Kennedy: Thanks. You know you’re kind of cute without those glasses. Give me your number, when I get back?
Ingrid Hannigan: May I remind you that you’re still on duty?
Leon Kennedy: Story of my life…

Updated:
(This scene has been completely removed from the VR release of Resident Evil 4.)

Last edited:

illuknisaa

Cipher
Have you guys tried Outer Wilds? Officially it doesn't support vr but some dude made a mod for it. The mod makes the game into a really good vr experience.

It has full motion control support and even index finger tracking (although your character only has 3 fingers). Gadgets are stored on your belt and can be used on either hand (no dual wielding). Button prompts are also shown on your hand ingame so no need to figure out what the controls are.

There are no comfort options. No teleport movement. No snap turning. For me this isn't a problem but for some it might especially considering the game features a lot of zero g environments. For me the game runs well. I don't know my fps but I see no slowdowns unless I use the landing camera. I'm also pretty sure ambient occlusion just doesn't work so I disabled it (it did cause a performance hit). I used the extra performance to bumb resolution up to 150%. The mod also doesn't support the dlc.

As for the game I think it's pretty fun. Sure the gameplay is mostly just walking and reading cave man drawings with light puzzles. The simulation aspect is what really makes the game cool.

Dexter

Arcane
Surprised to see Gayming Churnalists at IGN/EuroGamer etc. actually mentioning that RE4VR has been censored and even spend large parts of their Feature videos actually pointing out what:

EG: https://archive.md/WJAci
IGN: https://archive.md/SoE8Y
Resident Evil 4 VR Cuts Certain Content Including Voice Lines and Animations
Scenes were cut for a modern audience.
YZ4A2119-1588349899392.jpg

By Matt Kim

Updated: 20 Oct 2021 1:13 pm
Posted: 20 Oct 2021 1:00 pm
Resident Evil 4 VR is a full remake of Capcom’s horror classic, except in virtual reality. But some things have been left behind in the past as Facebook confirmed certain dialogue and animations have been removed for a modern audience.

Specifically, Resident Evil 4 VR has removed certain suggestive dialogue related to Ashley Graham, the president’s daughter Leon Kennedy is tasked with rescuing. This includes a line from another character, Luis, referencing Ashley’s body.

Furthermore, you won’t be able to look up Ashley’s skirt during certain areas of the game and the corresponding animation has been removed.

In a statement from a Facebook spokesperson, they said, “Oculus Studios, Armature, and Capcom partnered closely to remaster Resident Evil 4 from the ground up for VR. This includes immersive environments and high-resolution graphics. It also includes select changes to in-game dialogue and animations that we believe will update Resident Evil 4 for a modern audience.”

Ogling Ashley isn’t really a core part of the Resident Evil 4 experience so it’s hard to say that this substantially changes the game. Though if you feel strongly this content still exists in one of the many, many other versions of Resident Evil 4.

Potentially more disappointing is the news that Resident Evil 4 VR doesn’t include any of the extra modes like Mercenaries or Separate Ways. For our full impressions, read our Resident Evil 4 VR review.

Last edited:

Arbaces

Novice
Watching these trailers makes me realize why some of my friends still insist to me that VR is a gimmick. The average game is unappealing: either coasting on artistic direction or a barebones take on a recognizable formula. Trailers are supposed to give you a sample of what a game's about, and half of VR game trailers feel like they're selling you on VR itself: holding hands up to the camera, gratuitous lever pulling, and so on. Unfortunately, that seems to be the only gameplay many of them have to offer. I'm sick of even seeing titles that are like children's toys with pretentious writing when there's so much unexplored design space!

The best analogue to the gameplay of all the VR cash-ins:

At least there are more and more mods for better games to make them into VR. There's a Mechwarrior 5 mod for VR that works well. MW5 is still pretty bad, but it's leagues above any of the VR native mech games I've tried. It's a little hard to get used to the up and down gait of the mechs, but if you've played other jerky cockpit games you should be fine. You can get it on NexusMods and it supports most headsets: https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/531?tab=description

Poseidon00

Arcane

Both of them were bullshit because you needed third party mods to see your whole fucking body. I don't want floating hands.

Properly modded they are some of the best VR experiences but that is because of the modders and not them.

Of course competitive new titles are coming out all the time. There is another RPG and an exploration survival game with a lot of alien wildlife I want to try. Will report on em when I do

Song in the Smoke is the exploration one. Looks like someone put up a video of it. It's only 20 bucks so i'll get it tommorow as a birthday present to me.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So Resident Evil 4 VR is great. Top notch production quality, great visuals for a quest game, gameplay is good. The 3rd person kicks are less immersionbreaking than i thought (they still should be adding a first person option maybe with a normal front kick like in blade and sorcery)

A shame its Quest exclusive. I hope someone ports the game. There are already people who managed to run the game on a Quest1 btw. Nobody knows how the performance will hold up later in the game but so far those players did not experience any framedrops.

Dexter

Arcane
Blade & Sorcery is getting dungeons:

For completeness sake, Varjo released another Business/Prosumer HMD that's compatible with SteamVR and Lighthouses, the HMD alone costs $2000, but it has MiniLED LCD screens with a 2880x2720 resolution per eye and supposedly the best image of any available consumer HMD: https://varjo.com/products/aero/

Supposedly this is a comparison with the Index:
o05wnhhn6uu71.jpg

And this released last week, looks a bit lame but is unique in that it makes good use of Room-Scale and requires a 2mx2m area to be able to play, similar to the Free game Spellbound Spire: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1248270/Spellbound_Spire/

Dexter

Arcane
These are on Sale while the Tabletop Event is still on:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom