Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian = Decline. OwlCat = Incline.

Gradenmayer

Learned
I'd agree if you were comparing Larian games to an actually competent RPG developer.

But Owlcat made 2 mediocre games, with dogshit: encounter design, optimization, writing, companions, level design, balance, visuals and 2 absolutely unnecessary dog-ass management modes.

Owlcat fanboys are more mentally ill than Bethestards, Resetards and regular Retards combined.

They excuse bugs that migrated from previous entry (like Bethestards) , they excuse woke shit being shoveled down their throat by a fucking bulldozer (like Resetards), they ignore every surface level issue with it's design choices, from encounters, to entire mechanics (like Retards do, maybe even beyond).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Did you make sure to pre-buff before making this thread?
He doesn't need to prebuff: with caster level 26 and Greater Enduring Spells, even his 1 round/lvl buffs last 24 hours. :positive:

That's right, all you need to do is pick one of the two mythic paths with one of the four classes and play through more than 60% of the game.
Hey, you asked HIM if he prebuffed and we know for a fact that he is a level 20 lich wizard with harems of succubi.

You need to learn to pick your battles, Sar. Life is not like in D:OS2 where you can just spam a retarded skill like Deploy Mass Traps and kill every enemy regardless of his CR.

Saravan

Savant
Did you make sure to pre-buff before making this thread?
He doesn't need to prebuff: with caster level 26 and Greater Enduring Spells, even his 1 round/lvl buffs last 24 hours. :positive:

That's right, all you need to do is pick one of the two mythic paths with one of the four classes and play through more than 60% of the game.
Hey, you asked HIM if he prebuffed and we know for a fact that he is a level 20 lich wizard with harems of succubi.

You need to learn to pick your battles, Sar. Life is not like in D:OS2 where you can just spam a retarded skill like Deploy Mass Traps and kill every enemy regardless of his CR.

My bad I forgot he starts the game as a lvl 20 Lich.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Fuck balance. D&D 4E is the most balanced tabletop RPG ever and is the most boring tabletop game ever.

I can play PF:WoTR as a baddass half vampire wizard using his own blood to make his necromancies deadlier. Balance is often against immersion and cool factor. VtMB would be more balanced without Tremere and Nosferatu, but would be far worse.

There are mods which automatically cast buffs on your party.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderwrathoftherighteous/mods/4

You don't need to play as a caster to have powerful buffs. Nenio is specialized in illusion which has a lot of powerful buffs. Mainly for low level. And in kingmaker, Octavia was specialized in transmutation, so she could also buff your party too.

My bad I forgot he starts the game as a lvl 20 Lich.

No, I started on lv 1 and just played with no xp share and small party till chapter 3.

Saravan

Savant

Fuck balance. D&D 4E is the most balanced tabletop RPG ever and is the most boring tabletop game ever.

I can play PF:WoTR as a baddass half vampire wizard using his own blood to make his necromancies deadlier. Balance is often against immersion and cool factor.

You don't need to play as a caster to have powerful buffs. Nenio is specialized in illusion which has a lot of powerful buffs. Mainly for low level. And in kingmaker, Octavia was specialized in transmutation, so she could also buff your party too.

You missed the entire point. KM/WotR combat is incredibly overrated. It's just a pre-buff fiesta. Had it been more tied to the action economy it would have been more tactical. But the AI of these two games are too simplistic so the only way to create a challenge is to overtune stats which then require the party to frequently pre-buff to match the numbers.

DoS games aren't exactly great in that respect either with their armor system and lack of commitment to builds as you can just change anything on the fly. But again, I don't see Larian being overrated on these forums, the same can't be said for your Lich-simulator.

Thonius

Arcane
Now listen up, I hate Larian games, every time I buy one, I regret it. DOS1 SHIT could not tolerate it nor its art style, DOS2 kinda played a bit longer mostly due to hype and more tolerable gameplay. And older games are just retarded on a different level. Should've pirate it beforehand.
Now BG3 that's a different game, they toned down on their inane shittery and I can enjoy it. In fact, I'm surprised by the amount of spell and abilities usage OUT OF COMBAT. Sure map design is a total shit theme park faggotry but oh well, it's just one big hub location. Anyhow sure I got gripes with it, but system-wise most of the problems are I see are coming from totally DULL DnD5 edition.
HEY, at least it's not made by Beamdog or Obshitian.

Suicidal

Arcane

I can play PF:WoTR as a baddass half vampire wizard using his own blood to make his necromancies deadlier. Balance is often against immersion and cool factor.

You missed the entire point. KM/WotR combat is incredibly overrated. It's just a pre-buff fiesta. Had it been more tied to the action economy it would have been more tactical. But the AI of these two games are too simplistic so the only way to create a challenge is to overtune stats which then require the party to frequently pre-buff to match the numbers.

DoS games aren't exactly great in that respect either with their armor system and lack of commitment to builds as you can just change anything on the fly. But again, I don't see Larian being overrated on these forums, the same can't be said for your Lich-simulator.

Finally someone gets it. I haven't played WotR yet but my combat experience in Kingmaker could be summed up like this: "If trash mobs = cast AoE CC spell and click on enemy, If boss/big encounter = apply every single buff you have and click on enemy".

Faarbaute

Arbiter
a505a500-d6d9-11e4-95bd-180ba7d2b591_original.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
AI of these two games are too simplistic

Yep. I agree with that critique.

KoTC AI is thousands of times better. Nobody deny that. Additional behaviors for enemies was a incline in WoTR but still far alway from tolerable. I only played KoTC1. In a encounter, I was attempting to use a fire wall to block the movement of enemy undead and ... The undeads pushed my cleric to the wall, knocked her down and she died;

I strongly agree that AI needs a lot of improvements. But also disagree that pre buffing is a problem. It makes sense. Enemies uses it too vs the player. Devour magic is a must have memorized spell as a lich.

don't see Larian being overrated on these forums

DOS 2 above ToEE is not overrated? Temple of elemental evil is a legendary game.

Lich-simulator.

Lich is just ONE mythic path, and is not even the most popular. Angel and Azata are more popular according to steam achievements.

HEY, at least it's not made by Beamdog or Obshitian.

Obsidian would do a better job. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
5 ) Created a anti turn based culture

Now this is bizarre. Nobody has done more to popularize turn-based in the CRPG genre than Larian, while Owlcat had to be strong-armed by modders (and consoles) into adapting it.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My point is that thanks to larian, many people see TB as a slow slog. Anyway, I should't have created this thread. We already discussed it too much. May I suggest move it to retardo land since it is just a low quality rant...

Anonona

Learned
My point is that thanks to larian, many people see TB as a slow slog

I must ask, where do you get this kind of takes? Pretty sure it isn't here in the Codex, haven't seen anyone say TB is shit because of D:OS. Casuals and journos are eating it up as if it was the second coming of christ. Is it Reddit? I thought they pretty much followed mainstream opinions. Adding shit like the nu-Xcom becoming popular, and I think TB is in a relatively good health nowadays, much better than it used to be. I seem to remember there was a period of time when the general public considered TB as death and a thing of the past.

Comte

There both decline faggot :smug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Atchodas

Augur
Another Owlcat shill feels the need to make a thread trashing DOS games and BG3 just so he can cope with how trashy nuCuckfinder is.

You walking Autismius path here :lol:

IF Cringefinder is so good just go and enjoy it, why you losing sleep about what Swen does

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
it's the Pathfinders with their endless trash mobs.

Disagreed. In BG3, I spended over an hour in a single goblin encounter. And in pathfinder?

Here is a powerful monarch of a outsider realm (spoilers bellow) dying in about 2 minutes. Most of the trash mobs, die to one or two negative eruptions and with the rod of greater quicken metamagic, I don't need to spend much time in trash encounters.

The same mob in NWN1 : HotU took 6 minutes and NWN is RtWP

You can have a fast TB combat. As longs the game is high lethality and the animations are fast.

go and enjoy it

Same for your BG3.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Can we trade victor for Desiderius please. They are both broken clocks, but Desiderius was a broken clock limited to 2 threads.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Anyway, I should't have created this thread.
Not all of us have the time to trudge through the inane shit of the waffle eating homosexuals, so I didn't know/remember that they casualized magic. Other points are also informative. Best thread of the week at least.

Atchodas

Augur
it's the Pathfinders with their endless trash mobs.

Disagreed. In BG3, I spended over an hour in a single goblin encounter. And in pathfinder?

Here is a powerful monarch of a outsider realm (spoilers bellow) dying in about 2 minutes. Most of the trash mobs, die to one or two negative eruptions and with the rod of greater quicken metamagic, I don't need to spend much time in trash encounters.

The same mob in NWN1 : HotU took 6 minutes and NWN is RtWP

You can have a fast TB combat. As longs the game is high lethality and the animations are fast.

go and enjoy it

Same for your BG3.

Its not even out yet..

jeesus christ did Swen fuck your momma or something

Why you are so butthurt about the game that is not gonna be released for a year or two

Cuckfinder is not gonna get better if BG3 is bad you understand that?

Saying that Owlcat is incline is such a retarded take after shit they released : writing is trash, combat is trash, plethora of bugs.

STOP COPING AND JUST LET IT GO.

Copefinder IS TRASH nothing is gonna change that

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
DOS 2 above ToEE is not overrated? Temple of elemental evil is a legendary game.

ToEE in itself is pretty overrated here. It's probably the best adaptation of the original tabletop game but other than that it's not really that super-amazing.

My point is that thanks to larian, many people see TB as a slow slog.

I disagree. The notion that TB is slow and boring is much older than any of the divinity games. There is a reason why all Bioware games were real time, or why many series back in the day started moving to real time. M&M from 6 onwards were RT with optional TB mode. Warlords series was replaced by RTS Warlords Battlecry. Original Fallout combat was completely discarded by Bethesda. Obsidian never attempted a turn based game.

In fact I went and checked Codex top 101. So out of 47 games on the list released between 1998 and 2013 there were 37 RT games. By which I mean they either had a RT combat, option to chose RT combat or were just action games. 10 games remain, 3 of which were Japanese and 3 were indie titles. The only major western titles released on the list are Jagged Alliance 2, ToEE, Wiz8 and Anachronox. And this website itself is biased towards more inclined games.

So the bias against TB RPGs didn't start with Larian, in fact I think they might be helpful in turning the trend around. Some people might find these games boring or basic, bur as far as I can tell normies love that shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
Since not everyone seems to be aware, 5e changed how memorizing spells & spellslots work. No shenanigans on Larian's part, they're just implementing the rules.

And he's right that the phrase "spell level" is confusing, because the word "level" is used for so many different things in D&D. This is addressed in the AD&D PHB, FYI
image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom