Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

duanth123

Arcane
You both fail to acknowledge that many people are attracted to fatness in particular (chubby chasers) or don't mind it if it happens to arise. My current ...something is not the fittest person in the world, but I still think he's the most attractive man I've ever seen even though I'm not usually attracted to fat people. Something is "considered" attractive only within a culture and there have been many eras in which chubby women were considered peak sexy. The point of the "fat activists" is not to force people to think they are attractive, but to combat the discrimination faced by fat people that have real consequences. For example, doctors are more likely to dismiss a patient's symptoms if they are fat and only give the advice to lose weight without further investigation. I feel like this is a particularly American issue, however, as the obesity rates there are staggering. I don't see much fat activism here in Germany while I see anti-racism and anti-homophobia activism all the time.

Lacrymas , these opinions of yours are quite a luxury, and tell me you are petit bourgeoisie or otherwise trying to elevate yourself in social status.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Even though I like men as well as women, I don't think my sexuality works any differently than any other person's

Obviously your sexuality does work differently from:
a) people who exclusively prefer the opposite gender, since you prefer both
b) people who exclusively prefer the same gender, since you prefer both

Quite possibly it also works differently from:
a) women who like men as well as women, since you're supposedly a man and your perception and psychology will be different.

It's more likely that those have been artifically put on the forefront. The vast, vaaaaaaaast majority of sex is performed without procreation and attraction doesn't work the way you seem to think.

Of course it does. Nowadays. Historically, no. And even if procreation isn't the conscious goal (and even if it wasn't historically, which I don't care to debate), it is a strong basic need, stronger than the need to preserve your own safety or to eat, as per Maslov's hierarchy of needs. To assume that it has no bearing on the way we preceive attractiveness of potential partners is retarded beyond recognition.

If anything, the present ease of access to contraceptives means it has been artificially put at the backseat. Mind you, I am not saying this is bad. I am merely observing the fact.

Are you talking from the point of evolutionary psychology? A field famous for being rife with pseudoscience and untestable hypotheses? I specifically did not mention it until now because it's an intellectual dark hole that neither one of us can get out of and it will just amount to arguing about the validity of the discipline.

Never heard of it, don't care, sorry. I'm talking from the point of rational analysis of reality.

Have you never been in situation where you don't immediately physically like a person but then find out they are smart/funny/charming/caring/etc. and developed feelings for them either way? It certainly seems that way.

No, I haven't. However, you patented cretin, I have never claimed such a case is impossible. I merely observe that procreational considerations are a significant part of attraction. Obviously not the sole, nor the dominant part.

What you are proposing also fails to account for same-sex attraction and the mechanisms involved or the abundance of non-procreational sex techniques in any group.

Yes, I made a provision for that. To wit:

See, your case obviously is different, as, being attracted to the same gender, your analysis of other peoples' appearence is completely bereft of the natural procreational considerations. That being said, your taste in men is apparently shit anyway. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, right, you are rationally analyzing reality, while all of us are living in a dream. Interesting. What I meant by "you fail to account for same-sex attraction" is that the model of attraction you propose falls apart immediately. And on top of that fails to take into account people who aren't attracted to the mainstream ideal (like the example of chubby chasers I gave). I also don't think gay attraction is somehow fundamentally different than the straight one, as in the inner mechanisms and psychological reactions. Your claims simply don't make sense and can't explain anything when we zoom out from straight men attracted exclusively to skinny women within our current (western) culture.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh, right, you are rationally analyzing reality, while all of us are living in a dream.

"All of us"? Just how many people agree with your opinions, hmm?

What I meant by "you fail to account for same-sex attraction" is that the model of attraction you propose falls apart immediately.

There is no "model of attraction I propose". I merely observe that procreational considerations are a significant natural element of attraction.

And on top of that fails to take into account people who aren't attracted to the mainstream ideal (like the example of chubby chasers I gave).

I also failed to account for JarlFrank and his foot fetish. So what? I never aimed at making a comprehensive model. Obviously there are cases in which other attractors prevail over procreational considerations. This, however, does not mean that procreational considerations shouldn't be accounted for in any such model. Nor does it mean that they aren't present for the vast majority of population (cishet, I believe, is your term for them).

I also don't think

Yes, we noticed. Now kindly
thoth.png

I also don't think gay attraction is somehow fundamentally different than the straight one, as in the inner mechanisms and psychological reactions.

This is perhaps because you are of the bisexual persuasion, which, contrary to misconceptions, isn't simply "gay + straight".

Your claims simply don't make sense and can't explain anything when we zoom out from straight men attracted exclusively to skinny women.

Why don't they make sense again? Because they are not a comprehensive model? Well, they never were meant to. OBVIOUSLY for cases outside the biological standard, the biological standard of procreational considerations does not hold. Duh.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And on top of that fails to take into account people who aren't attracted to the mainstream ideal (like the example of chubby chasers I gave).

I also failed to account for JarlFrank and his foot fetish. So what? I never aimed at making a comprehensive model. Obviously there are cases in which other attractors prevail over procreational considerations. This, however, does not mean that procreational considerations shouldn't be accounted for in any such model. Nor does it mean that they aren't present for the vast majority of population (cishet, I believe, is your term for them).

Since you took my foot fetish as an example, I do find healthy smooth good-looking feminine feet attractive, not whale fins or elephant legs or chunky man toes :M

Diablo 2 Remastered Amazon does not have cute feet.

Harthwain

Magister
I also don't think gay attraction is somehow fundamentally different than the straight one, as in the inner mechanisms and psychological reactions.
"I also don't think" is not really a solid ground for making such statements. You need actual hard data here. Not conjecture.

Machocruz

Arcane
The original Amazon was a potato head, and somewhat masculine, in a white Grace Jones way. Favorite character to play, but never thought "what a babe". Maybe the intent was there, but they didn't have the tools or skills to pull it off.

And people are too quick to cry "sexualization! objectification!" Having bare thighs and a fitted whatever that top is does not automatically equate to sexualization. Neither a shirtless male, muscles, a cute face, etc. These are just states of being, it's intent and context that matter.

But the redesigns fail on an artistic level, imo. Even down to movement and poses. Less expressive, less fluid, less athletic, and less convincing. Old D2 is like Street Fighter 3 (possessing those traits) when it comes to animations compared to D2R's Mortal Kombat (stiff, awkward, mechanically unconvincing).

As someone who is into the genre of social realism, I don't require all or even most characters in a work to be attractive. In fact it would harm the believability and credibility of the piece. But the way the video game industry is going about it is they are making these characters aggressively unappealing, in a way that doesn't ring true. I think that subconsciously perturbs people. These "unattractive" characters are not convincing, they are weird, uncanny lab experiments. Mass Effect: Andromeda immediately springs to mind. I don't see unappealing women who look real, I either people who are bad at modeling human features, or markers of woke ideology. Hardly anyone reacts so poorly to plain or unattractive actresses leading a film -unless it's sword and sorcery, where Chads and Stacis slaying ape-men and giant lizards is the point of the thing. Diablo 2 is sword and sorcery straight from Robert E. Howard and Frazetta, btw...

Lacrymas

Arcane
"I also don't think" is not really a solid ground for making such statements. You need actual hard data here. Not conjecture.
By "I don't think", I'm judging it from my own experience. I don't experience attraction any differently between sexes when I like the person. I register the differences between a man and a woman, but I don't experience those differences when it comes to my attraction to them. If that makes sense. I also don't think the way people process attraction on an internal level can be measured in any way for there to be hard data, you just have to ask them.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
There are many reasons why a shirtless guy isn't considered exploited, but the quick answer is that it's all about framing and how our culture perceives men, their bodies, and their sexuality.
Classic double standards, why am I not surprised?

Reinhardt

Arcane
There are many reasons why a shirtless guy isn't considered exploited, but the quick answer is that it's all about framing and how our culture perceives men, their bodies, and their sexuality.
Reminded how game journos gushed over shirtless boys in ff 15 while screeching about mechanic girl cleavage.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Btw do they castrate paladins?
Because of Lust?

maybe....

I can't fathom a homosexual who'd prefer the walmart fat slob
image005.jpg

793306.jpg

Obese_bathers_sign_petition.jpg

Over....
sexiest_and_most_beautiful_people_04.jpg

sexiest_and_most_beautiful_people_07.jpg

men_31.jpg

original.jpg

For example. Yeah there is a wide variety of human flesh out there but the original ART of the diablo series depicted the heroes in a better light. The asian chong thing is wrong here. This isn't fucking earth, it is Sanctuary; a fucking fantasy world. Find me all the CHONGS in D1 & D2.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fourth Wave Feminazis turning women into men for 10 years. Face it, the original art used attractive characters of both sexes. However, it's only problematic when it comes to female characters. You can't have beauty any longer and have to turn them into men with female clothes. That's all that this is. It literally is a war on women and their femininity.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Those double standards exist because our society is extremely gendered and there is really no way around it atm. According to the discourse, this particular double standard exists because men's bodies are framed (in popular media) as either powerful or funny, never sexy, while women's bodies are specifically put there in order to be sexy or funny because they are not sexy. This gets internalized by people as being a woman's only valuable asset.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Machocruz

Arcane
Old D2 is like Street Fighter 3 (possessing those traits) when it comes to animations compared to D2R's Mortal Kombat (

And they both suck compared to KING OF FIGHTERS 98 (Diablo 1).
Indeed, but most fighters do. Perfect stand-in for D1 too. What KoF98 lacked in fluid animation, it made up with in art, personality, and style, while also being the patrician's choice of its genre/series

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom