Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz6
I am playing a six magic-users party. To my biggest surprise it was a piece of cake so far. Until the Styx river. Now, Houston we have a problem. But I am a little low-level. I have only a Level 10 party: PRI-PRI-ALC-PSI-MAG-MAG

No wonder you need to drink so much from the fountain with that party.
You'll need a Lord, a Valkyrie and a Samurai to wield the best weapons in the game.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
No wonder you need to drink so much from the fountain with that party.
You'll need a Lord, a Valkyrie and a Samurai to wield the best weapons in the game.
wield the best weapons in the game

I tried using the map editor of Cosmic Forge. I edited the fountain. But no effect. Is it only valid for a new game?

Best weapons I always sell for big profit anyway. :keepmymoney:

Next interesting problem: I am using Cosmic Forge for look at the attributes of my characters. I am only see the increased values of resistances (because of level-ups?) if I re-equip the items on my character (???)
So every level-up you need re-equip really?

Lukifell

Educated
Meaning to do a Wizardry 6-8 playthrough. Do I actually have to engage in all this class switching bullshittery to beat the game? How hard would I handicap myself if I didn't? Can't imagine that anybody minmaxxed to that extent in 1990.

No. I ironmanned Wiz7 without much class switching. All you “really” need is to switch your three casters at some point to boost their main spellcasting skill, and you don’t even have to do that.

The problem with class switching melees is their STR/DEX/SPD will take forever to hit 18 again. So they’ll be missing out on extra attacks, +2 hit, +2 AC, +2 damage.

Even class switching casters is bad if they’re not Faerie because you want casters with as high speed/initiative as possible.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Meaning to do a Wizardry 6-8 playthrough. Do I actually have to engage in all this class switching bullshittery to beat the game? How hard would I handicap myself if I didn't? Can't imagine that anybody minmaxxed to that extent in 1990.
No, I have played all of them through without class change.

Now, my six magic-users party has not changed class at all. I am in the Temple of Ramm and I have killed Xorphitus.
Level15 party.
And I am so dumb that I forgot using the Fire Shield spell against the Greater Demons. They are casting fire spells. But that was good thing I was keeping a lot of Ankh of Phyres in my swag.

TO BE CONTINUED
FALL 1991

I finished Wiz6 PRI-PRI-ALC-PSI-MAG-MAG party. All Level16, except the ALC which one was 17.
I did not wear the silver cross and took the Cosmic Forge pen.
Fortunately this time I have not fought the Bane King using wooden sticks. Worst battle of all rpgs ever.

Honestly it was not so great fun as playing Wiz8 with a similar party. Hmmm interestingly it was not harder. In Wiz8 you can use ranged combat so usually you can kill the monsters before they get to you. In Wiz6+7 the monsters is immediately next to you.
Now I am going to try Wiz7 a similar party.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
This is scandal!

I am playing the 6-magicusers party in Wiz7. I created normal characters with 8-9 bonus points which I put into Vitality for more HP. But now I have very few SP.

Wiz7 is much harder using this party than W6.
I bought the inn key for resting in peace. But I was attacked by demented munks during my rest! What kind of inn is this? It would have been better to sleep on the street.

gman42

Scholar
This is scandal!

I am playing the 6-magicusers party in Wiz7. I created normal characters with 8-9 bonus points which I put into Vitality for more HP. But now I have very few SP.

Wiz7 is much harder using this party than W6.
I bought the inn key for resting in peace. But I was attacked by demented munks during my rest! What kind of inn is this? It would have been better to sleep on the street.

Why didn't you just import your completed Wiz6 party? Seems like a waste.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Because I am curious if W7 is winnable using this party from the beginning.
I am Level6 at New City now.
It is good so far, only the few magic points are worrying. I hope learning more spells will change that.
In W6 the party was good at fighting, but here W7 cannot hit a monster.

Lukifell

Educated
Came across a gameplay video of “Wizardry Summoner”. Looks fun, but it’s in Japanese. Looked and couldn’t find any English ROMs. Anyone know if an English translation exists?

Also Wizardry Summoner seems to have a “Guildhall” area in town. When exactly did all the guildhall stuff in JRPGs begin?

Lukifell

Educated
Because I am curious if W7 is winnable using this party from the beginning.
I am Level6 at New City now.
It is good so far, only the few magic points are worrying. I hope learning more spells will change that.
In W6 the party was good at fighting, but here W7 cannot hit a monster.

Offered advice on how to hit monsters better, then realized you’re playing an all caster party. Problem is some monsters (like ghosts) are immune to magic. Don’t know if all caster crew can manage in 7. Can priests use shields in 7?

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
How does Boltac work in PC Wiz1? Does his inventory increase only when I sell items? If I sell him a long sword +2, can I then buy back infinite copies?

Arthandas

Prophet
Um, how do you deal with a party wipe? Do I need to grind another party, get a new blue ribbon, ride down to lv 6 and reach the corpses while running from monsters?
Can the corpses disappear? Can I do it with a full party or do I need to left a spot for a corpse?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The corpses won't disappear unless you delete the characters in the training grounds. You need a spot in your party to pick one of the deceased at a time. Don't try to revive them in the dungeon, it almost always fails.

It's advisable to have reserve party members and keep rotating your party to have everyone at a similar level and not find yourself pretty much restarting the game if this happens.

Arthandas

Prophet
Don't try to revive them in the dungeon, it almost always fails.
I would never, non-temple revives cost 1 permanent VIT point.
It's advisable to have reserve party members and keep rotating your party to have everyone at a similar level
Now that's just stupid, starting from around lv 7-8 you'll need a lot of exp to level up, if I had to split it with another party, then my now-dead lv10-11 party would be lv 8-9 and that's just not on par with what the game throws at you at this point.

I'll just make a new rescue party, level them quickly on Murphy's Ghosts to around lv 6-7 to get HP and some nukes for the mages and that should be enough. Thankfully I can use the elevator and then it's just 1-2 fights along the shortest route to where I died.
Still, what an annoying and time wasting mechanic, and apparently I'll have to do 6 runs with a 5 man party...

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Well, I always keep at least a couple of reserve fighters in town along with a bishop. I also usually leave my gold in town. This way, if I get a party wipe I have money to equip a new party and strong fighters to make grinding that Murphy's Ghost way faster. If you think that's stupid, Arthandas , that's fine. Have fun grinding that first corridor until your dudes are strong enough to grind Murphy's Ghost

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Have fun grinding that first corridor over and over until your dudes are strong enough to grind Murphy's Ghost
Lol, like you need much to defeat those pussies.
I also usually leave my gold in town.
That's actually pretty smart. There's no reason to carry it into the Maze. I had around 30k with nothing to spend it on.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Didn't Wizards & Warriors have Rumphy's Ghost?

lessee

No... not that...

NO!!!

BAH!!! FUCK NO!!!

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Problem is some monsters (like ghosts) are immune to magic. Don’t know if all caster crew can manage in 7. Can priests use shields in 7?

1. I used Dispel Undead against ghosts/undead.
2. Maiden head mace+Golden rod for priests, Cat o'nine tails for mages, they were competent fighters
3. You can summon monsters for raw damage

I have not used shields in W6 for priests, (and in W7 so far)

Arthandas

Prophet
Ok, just so you know, after a party wipe in Wiz1, you'll permanently lose some equipment (both in backpack and equipped).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You'll probably need a third party patch/wrapper for Chronicle. I think there's a thread about the game in the JRPG section with details.
Combatwise it's very hard, and it's the only CRPG I've actively grinded.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom