Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That UI is shit. Even if the game itself is actually worthy of being called Jagged Alliance 3, its going to be fighting that UI so hard.
As to the potential quality itself, I'm going to remain hopeful in the face of adversity. This has got a lot stacked against it, but it also has some in favor. This is probably the first new Jagged Alliance game that doesn't seem like a remake of JA2, which is good. It doesn't look like its ripping off XCOM's crappy mechanics. And even if this company hasn't produced a great tactical game before, well, neither did Sirtech before releasing Jagged Alliance 2.

ArchAngel

Arcane
While I can recognize this is not what JA2 1.13 fans want I will be happy if the maps are not tiny and game will still let us do stealth night missions with night vision goggles like I loved to do in JA2. Crawling on the ground with a knife to stab enemy that does not have night vision was fun.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Rotatable 3d isometric cameras with zoom were a mistake. The fact they usually accompany games with a modest budget makes them even more egregious and the games they feature in unanimously aesthetically unappealing.
Thank God.. I thought I was the only one. This awful perspective implementation and consequent generic aesthetics are ubiquitous across the so-called renaissance, and anathema to the essentials in presentation that made the originals such ineffable joys to engage with. We are expecting the numinous to be delivered by numismatists.

spectre

Arcane
I thought these things can't make me feel anything anymore, but it still felt like I died inside a tiny bit when I saw that very same shooting animation from SEXCUM one more time, this time attached to the JA title.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The developers clearly haven't understood anything about the series.

Those character portraits are supposed to make the mercs look like they laugh about you and about the enemies. But not us laughing about them.

It seems they played JA2 and came out with the idea to create some sort of turn based freak-show. It's the same corny, unfunny humor from Tropico that almost ruined an otherwise good game. Add in some SJW and hipster stuff and you have the perfect successor in a neverending line of failures.

Aemar

Arcane
oh no

please not again
giphy-downsized-large.gif

What they call Jagged Alliance 3 is just the latest act of desecration of the Jagged Alliance's holy corpse. With Tropico, Haemimont pretended they knew a thing or two about the original game. With ''Jagged Alliance 3'' they show that they don't give a fuck about 1&2 at all.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Strangely, the AKs seen in gameplay footage (but not art or pre-rendered footage) all seem to be Romanian ones (note the wooden foregrip). Weird choice and I wonder why they went with that. Maybe they're including progression of AK quality (Chinese garbage that uses pen springs<low quality eastern block<Norinco<authentic Russian<modern tacticool)? Alternatively, the devs are Bulgarian (directly north of Romania), so it might just what they had access to for a reference model and the other stuff is by different artist.
Some of these were actually exported to African countries, so yeah. Whether it was done on purpose or not, it's not that far fetched for them to appear in the game's setting.

Thorgeim

Educated
OMG the memories... JA and JA2, some of the best tactical games.
The video so far looks a bit worse than what Phoenix Point did with trailers etc. and PP turned out shit so I imagine this will too. It looks cheap so far.

I wish someone made JA but not fully 3D, something like Pillars 2 engine but obviously not as colorful.

Burning Bridges

The problem is in order to do so you would need a time machine and bring people from the 1990s to make another JA2. I think it was a rare accident that so many talented people convened on one game and it resulted in a sheer excess in quality and quantity (normally one is to the detriment of the other) that cannot be planned, ijust like you cannot plan to hire people who paint a Monalisa.

It's just gone.

Although few of the artists, like Kevin Manthei or Cleve might still available to do something of that magic again.

Thorgeim

Educated
I dont think 3D is a problem per se, it just shows the lack of quality too much. Like Battletech wasnt bad looking and with Roguetech I actually enjoy it including the style.
But this looks cheap and budgetty, the guys playing football in that yard are better animated than the soldiers lol.

Endemic

Arcane
There have already been some failed attempts to revive JA. But perhaps this one will turn out better, who knows.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you're called a retard by someone who a retard called a retard but they weren't a retard... dammit, I already lost my train of thought.

Burning Bridges

The real genius will insist that he is the retard and the other one isn't, that gets things started again. That's the thing Jesus was talking about, or Sokrates.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I only hope this gonna be the Elex of JA: a lot of shit that's hard to ignore but still holds the core aspects of gameplay tight enough to be worth playing.

PanteraNera

Arcane
As you can go prone it is already better than Phoenix Point, in my books.

Gamestar has some exclusive information and say that even hardcore JA2 fans should get excited.
Source

But on the other hand with Phoenix Point the gamer in me died so it will probably be shit.

TheSoul

Scholar
Uh...it looks better than rage at least. Looks like squads might be back. Maybe it could inspire people to fund endstate...fuck my life. It looks like shovelware. Igor looks like a gay sailor. All the women will probably talk like buzz. Fuck these nostalgia cashgrabs.

Back to straciatella. Maybe once all the ja fans die, they'll stop trying to rape its corpse.

Edit: Ja 1 is free on steam until 23rd if anyone is interested.

orcinator

Liturgist
Wait did Omerta suck?
Oh it did.
Yeah have fun with this, semi-imaginary man who cannot discern patterns and thus pre-ordered this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom