Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
How do you nuke politics and not the rest of GD?

Because it's a bad sub-forum that attracts annoying people. Why does a computer game site need a politics sub-forum? I don't remember why it was created in the first place but I would assume it was an attempt to improve GD which it clearly didn't do so just yeet the fucking thing.
Politics isn't the only board with defamatory speech. Shitbox, Science, and Library will have to go. GD rules will have to forbid religion and philosophy. The rest of the forum will need a lot more attentive moderation.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This was until ca 2014 when a lot of really repulsive people came in that basically just wanted to talk politics and had massive chips on their shoulder.

This is definitely the best place I know of on the internet to discuss RPGs. Whatever influx of people happened or didn't happen, this is still the go-to place for RPG discussion.

Besides which, there's a lot of damn good new posters and it's mostly the old faggots who are on their 10th alt which suck the most, like DraQ and other such absolute morons.

He's from well before 2014 and doesn't even understand alignments, and frequently spergs about it. Goes on absolute autistic tirades.

Newfags try to approach things with a more open mind. The RPG section would be well served if oldfags like Draq would be ejected.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would delete the whole garbage and get on with discussing games and arts and fine taste like in the old days.
Problem is, if you get rid of GD but keep the low-moderation sitewide principles in place, then RPG discussion will effectively become the new GD. Watered down maybe, but still much worse than having separate corrals. GD is the "release valve" that keeps the culture wars from absolutely drowning the rest of the site.

Splitting/pruning the site means stepping up moderation on game discussion, period.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
RPG / gamedev discussion are really the only thing that are worth keeping.

General Gaming, strategy, "space" gaming etc is retarded. The movie / cooking stuff is honestly not that much and something you can have in other places too.

GD / politics is cancer. Sport is mostly shitposting, and basically just a waste of time during the World Cup.

QHEqMuZ.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't understand alignments either

Do you sperg about how you don't understand it for pages and pages? No, because you're not crazy.

Besides, we were talking about influx of "really repulsive people" with "massive chips on their shoulders".

Whether they want to discuss politics or not, is neither here nor there. Clearly such people were here before 2014, is my point.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I would delete the whole garbage and get on with discussing games and arts and fine taste like in the old days.
Problem is, if you get rid of GD but keep the low-moderation sitewide principles in place, then RPG discussion will effectively become the new GD. Watered down maybe, but still much worse than having separate corrals. GD is the "release valve" that keeps the culture wars from absolutely drowning the rest of the site.

Splitting the site means stepping up moderation on game discussion, period.

Moderation does not have to be fascist and intolerant like in the SJW sphere. There is not only forums like Steam and such that is run by pussies.

For example the Microsoft Flight Simulator forum let go a lot if it stays on topic and does not violate laws. What you need is careful moderation by some adults who do not interfere in a discussion based in their opinion. A bit like the police should be. They will send you down when you break into a car but not because you wear a sweater of some party they cant stand.

Burning Bridges

I don't understand alignments either

Do you sperg about how you don't understand it for pages and pages? No, because you're not crazy.

Afaik DraQ has OCD and can't stop talking about some 30 year old game, Elite Frontier. Other than that I don't remember anything particularly repulsive about him.

Can't handle the bacon

Moderation does not have to be fascist and intolerant like in the SJW sphere.
It doesn't have to be.

But it will be.

What is "non-fascist and tolerant" moderation that also simultaneously keeps the forum in lockstep with good global citizenship, anyway? If I say "I dislike female warriors in RPGs because brute force fighting should be left to men", would it be fascist and intolerant to censor this opinion, or is my opinion fascist and intolerant for contradicting current_year "values"?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
RPG / gamedev discussion are really the only thing that are worth keeping.

General Gaming, strategy, "space" gaming etc is retarded. The movie / cooking stuff is honestly not that much and something you can have in other places too.

GD / politics is cancer. Sport is mostly shitposting, and basically just a waste of time during the World Cup.

QHEqMuZ.jpg

:nocountryforshitposters:
Shit, at least GRPG is in my top 5. Some oldfag!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Here's a retarded idea.

How feasible to run a reverse proxy for the website? If anyone asks, the reverse proxy is the website. It's not like bandwidth or latency is the bottleneck, it's always the database.

Run the site over I2P, effectively making the authorities unable to locate it. Better yet, multiple reverse proxies can connect to the website for redundancy.

Burning Bridges

Here's a retarded idea.

How feasible to run a reverse proxy for the website? If anyone asks, the reverse proxy is the website. It's not like bandwidth or latency is the bottleneck, it's always the database.

do you want to turn rpgcodex into the darknet? that would only double DUs eventual jail time.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
do you want to turn rpgcodex into the darknet? that would only double DUs eventual jail time.

That depends on the jurisdiction we're talking about here. Reverse proxies can be run by an unrelated party.

But this is a scorched earth solution.

Burning Bridges

We could also encrypt all posts with the open Enigma machine, and use daily changing keys.

That would be fun and finally reward brevity.

Ehrenmann

Codex should have been on the darkweb from the start. Half the userbase connects through VPNs anyway.

Burning Bridges

If I say "I dislike female warriors in RPGs because brute force fighting should be left to men", would it be fascist and intolerant to censor this opinion, or is my opinion fascist and intolerant for contradicting current_year "values"?

Of course it would be. This is a completely valid opinion.

You do not have to pour out the baby with the bathwater.

What has to be censored for example is stuff related to the pro-Breivik-Incel scene. Just because you believe in free speech doesn't not mean you have to harbor people who support terrorism. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Ehrenmann

Codex, unlike any other site I know, is all encompassing. You can discuss literally anything here. That's why it's so appealing. It's like a land of its own. Going from town to town meeting familiar faces. Creating friendships and hatreds. Community interaction is very fierce and fun.

High quality RPG discussion is nice, but that isn't what gives this place the unique genius loci.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, yes! Don't cross THIS line, but this one's a-ok! Until it's 2023 and you're barred from having a conversation about THAT issue, too!

What has to be censored for example is stuff related to the pro-Breivik-Incel scene. Just because you believe in free speech doesn't not mean you have to harbor people who support terrorism. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Please voluntarily self-censor from expressing your pro-censorship drivel, negroidal wetback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom