Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no amputation either. Sadly that would require an animation effort way above the reach of a small indie studio (when it comes to new animation you need to consider the fact that each change must be propagated to 30-40 states (entering state, in state, transition to new state just for 1 stance). But who knows, one day...
Not necessarily if you can only do said amputation once you're done with the combat, back to the safety of your base, thus done through screens, some pics, and optionally a scream of pain if the operation is done without anesthetics. No animation here needed except bare minimum, if at all.
And then what? The character goes back into battle using the same old animations?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's reverse "missing limb" syndrome. Instead of having lost a limb and feeling it present, you'll have the limb, but feel like it's amputated.

Harthwain

Magister
It's reverse "missing limb" syndrome. Instead of having lost a limb and feeling it present, you'll have the limb, but feel like it's amputated.
Ah, the tentacle limb!*

Some games make you perform tasks that require precision, but give you impaired controls (think: when you're dreaming you can't seem to hold anything properly for some reason). I call this "the tentacle limb", because this is how it feels to me. A good example of this genre is Surgeon Simulator:

lightbane

Arcane
There's no amputation either. Sadly that would require an animation effort way above the reach of a small indie studio (when it comes to new animation you need to consider the fact that each change must be propagated to 30-40 states (entering state, in state, transition to new state just for 1 stance). But who knows, one day...
Not necessarily if you can only do said amputation once you're done with the combat, back to the safety of your base, thus done through screens, some pics, and optionally a scream of pain if the operation is done without anesthetics. No animation here needed except bare minimum, if at all.
And then what? The character goes back into battle using the same old animations?
Clearly the character has prosthesis that look like the real thing to have an excuse to recycle animations. Perhaps give the character a permanent physical penalty as well.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got a new question. How will the game handle losses? Can you recover if your team gets wiped out or are you SOL? I assume it won't be like the old X-com games at least :)

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
If you lose a few of your people there is a limited number of extra mercs you can recruit, but there is no endless supply of grunts like in XCOM. If main character dies, game is over for reasons that cannot be revealed since it's a story spoiler.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds good. As long as you can loose a few, since I will be going ironman - living with my poor tactical decisions :)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you lose a few of your people there is a limited number of extra mercs you can recruit, but there is no endless supply of grunts like in XCOM. If main character dies, game is over for reasons that cannot be revealed since it's a story spoiler.
When you say "a limited number of extra mercs", is that number closer to 3 or 70?

ITgVjHh.jpg

:M

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I've been wanting to scratch the Jagged Alliance itch for a long time, just found out about this games, just wishlisted it on Steam. More or less, how many gunpowder weapons will there be? I found the wasteland 2 arsenal lacking for example.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Current setup has about 8 recruitables, plus your avatar. Might add a one or two more if the resources allow it and testers feedback says it's a must. There's backstory, 3D model, dialogue/reactions and voices to be made for each and we don't have a couple of Sir-tech $$ millions at hand just for this (sadly).

Each weapon we had has to be ballistic balanced - so do not expect a million of them. If you found W2 lacking, you need to wait for the modders to come up with their own weapon packs, the initial offering will probably leave you hungry. The included arsenal is designed around the story - home defense weapons, basic US Army stuff and some contraband for the exotic touch, but that's it. Weapon balance can seriously break combat so we kept it simple. But we know people love their toys so as I said before - game will have a workshop and the only advanced bit of modding would be modelling the 3d asset (if you want your new weapon to have have its particular look, otherwise you can "borrow" the model from another weapon). The rest is just about editing the data tables with the ballistic values you want, you can give yourself a howitzer cannon setup if you wish, it's your game to break.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
About everything you can wield is a melee weapon in Urban Strife, from your fists to your weapon buttstock or the frying pan you cooked your dinner last night in. So there's no shortage of those. Melee is ok for close range, you'd be wanting to carry your Sheriff's department issued monkey wrench at all times.

We have also just finished implementing proper throwables for the demo (meaning now the AI can throw stuff back at you too). Gas and smoke won't be ready in time for the festival, but there will be pretty potent too.

The most important thing is to have the MECHANICS work right, adding new stuff can always come later.

lightbane

Arcane
Mandatory question: Are there katanas as melee weapons?
Are they especially good against zombies?

What about chainsaws?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
No, no katanas. But we've got a sledgehammer. And a big Russian to wield it.
And no chainsaws either (not saying they were not cool, but they would've required an unique animation and that's costly for an indie).

But if you're so keen to play with household tools we've got a nailgun that shoots... well, nails.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We have to share the good news - we've got approved and our demo/prologue is on its way to the Steam Festival.
Come this October you'll be able to test Urban Strife yourself.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Sort of self-contained, meaning it will be a combat focused version of the game prologue/start, a minicampaign over 4 maps. You'll be able to do a bit of survival crafting, some RPG, enough to keep you busy for a few honest hours.

No time to add Steam achievements, those are like rock bottom on our long list of todo's.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The base building mechanic is implemented (let's say in a beta state) but still needs some fine tuning. Probably it will be shown so everyone gets an idea how it looks/works but it won't affect the game (in the full game failing to provide for the shelter can lead to a loss).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom