Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 announced

bionicman

Liturgist
Experience the campaign with friends in online co-op mode

Hecking yes! I'll finally be able to play Jagged Alliance with my wife's boyfriend!

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Wonder if it will measure up to classics like Brigade E5: New Jagged Union or Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge.

zool

Arcane
I didn't realize that was Vicki till the gameplay footage named her. The dreads are new and she looks a lot darker (I always thought she was mixed race, but that could have been a tech limit on colors). Still, she doesn't look or act like generic CURRENT YEAR black woman so, eh. Also Ambidexterity IS her skill and starting equipment in JA2, so there's a reason for her to have two pistols.

I thought for a long time too that Vicki had her hair cut short but actually, if you look closer to her JA2 picture, she might well have a ponytail, only you can't really see it because the background is so dark.

victoria_vicki_waters.jpg

Shin

Cipher
I hope they'll take some inspiration from Urban Strife, which I'm slightly optimistic about:

Obviously there's more to a good JA2 successor than just ballistics, but the attention to such detail tells me the Urban Strife guys have their hearts in the right place. This trailer is a marketing push by THQ and thus 'has to sell this idea to the general public' but I do hope that Haemimont Games will demonstrate that they *understand* what made JA2 so good and not just reskin XCOM and tweak some mechanics. Obviously these (nu) XCOM games have sold more copies than the entire JA franchise ever has so I'm pessimistic about their chances to swim against the THQ tide so to speak. Ah well.

Humbaba

Arcane
I hope they'll take some inspiration from Urban Strife, which I'm slightly optimistic about:

Obviously there's more to a good JA2 successor than just ballistics, but the attention to such detail tells me the Urban Strife guys have their hearts in the right place. This trailer is a marketing push by THQ and thus 'has to sell this idea to the general public' but I do hope that Haemimont Games will demonstrate that they *understand* what made JA2 so good and not just reskin XCOM and tweak some mechanics. Obviously these (nu) XCOM games have sold more copies than the entire JA franchise ever has so I'm pessimistic about their chances to swim against the THQ tide so to speak. Ah well.

Why does every fucking game have to include crafting

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Why does every fucking game have to include crafting
Not sure. Maybe its easier to itemize junk than good loot placement.

Alter Sack

Magister
I don't know why they even bother.

Was there even one JA2 successor that was halfway decent and a financial success?

Hell, I mean even the original JA2 wasn't exactly a success financial wise.

No matter what they release, even if the game is good, you are always better off playing the original.

I don't think that they are able to improve the game gameplay wise (I fear they will dumb it down).

And I am pretty sure that they won't be able to implement even half the mercenaries of the originals (let alone design some funny interactions/dialogues between them).

deuxhero

Arcane
Has there been any remake or sequel to in the past 20 years that wasn't worse than the original?

Zero Mission, FireRed/LeafGreen, and HeartGold/SoulSilver are all within 20 years. Sequel is really easy since there's countless meh games with better (still still not good) sequels (Also New Vegas came out within 20 years).

The problem is finding worthwhile games from the last 10 years.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Has there been any remake or sequel to in the past 20 years that wasn't worse than the original?
... Rance X > Rance IX > Rance Quest Magnum > Rance 5D > Rance IV > Rance II > Rance I

Bloodlines > VtM: Redemption

Dragonfall > Dead Man's Switch

Sid Meier's Pirates (remake) > Sid Meier's Pirates

Civ 4 > Civ 3

KoF 13 > KoF 12 and arguably all of the KoF games that came before it

Artificial Girl 3 > Artificial Girl 2 > Artificial Girl 1

EU3 is overall slightly better than Europa Universalis 2 > Europa Universalis 1

Vicky 2 > Vicky 1

Crusader Kings 2 > Crusader Kings 1

Samurai Shodown (2019) is arguably the best game in the Samurai Shodown series

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom