Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Delay Poison just to not get fucked by your own Stinking Cloud if nothing else
reminder that this is still implemented incorrectly and isn't supposed to provide immunity from poison

Delay poison can actually be super dangerous, as you can potentially have to deal with multiple poison doses at the same time when it expires.

I remember that fucking someone over in a PF session many years back.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
you'd think a lot more of these demons and devils and whatnot would know how to cast dispel magic, a level 3 spell.

That's another different can of worm entirely. Since they are overstatted and their HD increased, had they access to HD based abilities your life would be really unfair. Instead, they rely on off the chart SR to protect themselves from your abundant casting and favoured metamagic. Basically, since there's no AI competent enough to play D&D, we play who gets to roll bigger numbers.
It's not exactly fun but I don't think it's something that Owlcat can singlehandedly solve. AI in gaming is a pretty sore topic, for those that noticed...

I love owlcat but come on. Pierre, a single guy managed to make a AI extremely better than any other CRPG.

If a single guy can make a AI that will push your cleric into your own created firewall, knock her down and pin her in the ground and cast spells like dispel magic, why a complete team with US$2 mi + how many money from the first game can't?

Apparently Josh Sawyer was right, and prebuffing is "degenerate gameplay".

His solution is far worse than the problem itself. I would implement a buffbot in the game and program the AI to attempt to dispel buffs from PCs.

Dunno maybe we play different games i don't need to cast 10 buffs every single encounter

I only when playing kingmaker in unfair difficulty. And don't cast the same buffs every encounter. Most of then lasts many minutes. Is a problem? Yes. But is not as seriously as people portrait.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
you don't need delay poison
I haven't used delya poison, death death ward, or barksin at all

Fedora is better at D&D than you are. Face it. You cast delay poison beforehand anyway, not when you notice poison is used. Beside, you use the communal extended version, which lasts 2 hours. One click, one slot.

Playing without Death Ward is... what? A special kind of tactic? You like being level drained? Barkskin is the best source of natural armor period. If you have someone that can cast it and don't use it that's 5 less AC you could have on a frontliner. Oh, and it lasts one hour and half, at level 9.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
you'd think a lot more of these demons and devils and whatnot would know how to cast dispel magic, a level 3 spell.

That's another different can of worm entirely. Since they are overstatted and their HD increased, had they access to such HD based abilities your life would be really unfair. Instead, they rely on off the chart SR to protect themselves from your abundant casting and favoured metamagic. Basically, since there's no AI competent enough to play D&D, we play who gets to roll bigger numbers.
It's not exactly fun but I don't think it's something that Owlcat can singlehandedly solve. AI in gaming is a pretty sore topic, for those that noticed...
The AI for both owlcat PF games is basically nonexistent. SCS 15 years ago(and its precursor tactics mods) was far ahead of the ...nothing... owlcat has.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In act 4 now, and the 'optional' bosses are starting to get pretty absurd
5+ attacks per turn, with enough attack bonus to guarantee hits against my ~35 AC dudes and dealing 30-50 damage per hit. How are you supposed to last even a single round next to something like that? So far I'm just resorting to skeleton summoning spam while peppering them with magic (lack of uncanny dodge is their one true weakness)

Most of then lasts many minutes. Is a problem? Yes. But is not as seriously as people portrait.
Spending 5 minutes buffing when entering every map and after every rest is pretty tedious. There's no real decision making either, you'll almost always slap down the same buffs.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
If a single guy can make a AI that will push your cleric into your own created firewall

A lot can be done when graphics are rudimentary, see your average roguelike. I agree though KoTC is amazing, mine isn't the statement to end all statement, just a vague generalization of why the game is such. Resources were spent elsewhere, I'm realist.

nonexistent

hyperbole

edit:

A mod, the result of years of work from many dedicated fans that did it with passion. Thousands of hours of manpower

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That's another different can of worm entirely. Since they are overstatted and their HD increased, had they access to such HD based abilities your life would be really unfair. Instead, they rely on off the chart SR to protect themselves from your abundant casting and favoured metamagic. Basically, since there's no AI competent enough to play D&D, we play who gets to roll bigger numbers.
I've never heard of any developer really trying to solve this though. With programmable actions for characters, should it even be that difficult, or is it more about how time consuming it is to script every combat?

There is also the argument that even in PnP you often have to behave suboptimally with enemy creatures if you don't want to wipe the party out.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In act 4 now, and the 'optional' bosses are starting to get pretty absurd
5+ attacks per turn, with enough attack bonus to guarantee hits against my ~35 AC dudes and dealing 30-50 damage per hit. How are you supposed to last even a single round next to something like that? So far I'm just resorting to skeleton summoning spam while peppering them with magic (lack of uncanny dodge is their one true weakness)

Most of then lasts many minutes. Is a problem? Yes. But is not as seriously as people portrait.
Spending 5 minutes buffing when entering every map and after every rest is pretty tedious. There's no real decision making either, you'll almost always slap down the same buffs.
People farther in the game than me correct me, but I think ~AC 35 is low on act 4. Also 5 attacks per turn was something I've seen even in act 2.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Guys, I'm not defending them. I'd love for any dev to spend monies on AI. I have a couple dozens of posts on the Codex where I speak AI in strategy games and what I dream about (a system where the best gaems from best players are analyzed en-mass to devise AI strategies). Alas, no one takes the mantle 'coz AI doesn't shine. That's all I'm sayin'

edit:

they had to change how sneak attack works because they couldn't bother making the AI capable of performing sneak attacks

https://www.wordnik.com/words/hyperbole

AI IS WEAK RUSTY I AGREE

I BUMP DIFF COZ OTHERWISE GAME EASY

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There was that one boss
at the end of the Beneath the Forgotten Lands DLC
in PFK who dispelled magic. Boy was that a shock.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fedora is better at D&D than you are. Face it. You cast delay poison beforehand anyway, not when you notice posion is used. Beside you used the communal extended version, which lasts 2 hours. 1 click, 1 slot."

Dude. My tank is my MC who is a dwarf paladin. Fuck your silly little 'poison'. You ar emore likely to poison yourself than me. LMAO I also don't make it a habit to run into poisonous clouds with my other characters. L0LZ

"Playing without Death Ward is... what? A special kind of tactic? You like being level drained?"

Restoration gets rid of it. They're the same level, and no need to spam death ward 'just in case' of energy drain. Now, when I start getting death effects, I'll think about it. Also, if level drain worked the same as some earlier games like NWN and sucked your spell slots so you have to redo them then I'd likely use death ward more. L0L I even bought DW scrolls early on 'just in case' and have yet to use them.

" Barkskin is the best source of natural armor period. If you have someone that can cast it and don't use it that's 5 less AC you could have on a frontliner."

Got no druid. I have a cloak of natural ac +3. My character has 40 ac unbuffed by spells starting chapter 3. I think I'm in good shape. LMAO except I'm sure they'll do some cheesy shit to make that ac meaningless. l0lz

"5+ attacks per turn,"

Act 4? Big deal. You played ch2, right? Stauten's demon girlfriend has 6-8 attacks, and she can energy drain you. :D he has 4 attacks as well. HAHAHA! And, you whine about chapter 4 bosses. :P You got past them, that should be nothing.

"People farther in the game than me correct me, but I think ~AC 35 is low on act 4. Also 5 attacks per turn was something I've seen even in act 2."

Yup. see above for details. And, I *just* started act 3. I have 40 no buff ac on my tank MC, and I saw Miragyo do something 6-8 attacks in 1 round. I stopped counting after awhile. L0LZ

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There was that one boss
at the end of the Beneath the Forgotten Lands DLC
in PFK who dispelled magic. Boy was that a shock.

Yep. Devour magic. Sadly he is the unique guy in the entire game which does something similar.

You have ancient liches with supra genious intellect who never casts dispel magic in the game...

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
5. Demon = CE

• Camellia (permanent role, for once!)
  • Wenduag
  • Woljif
  • Daeran
  • Arueshalae
Aditional Notes: Aru needs to be persuaded to stay. If one can stomach Sosiel, Trever may be persuaded to join party. This writer is unaware if one can kick Sosiel, but not Trever. Surprisingly well-balanced party, for a bunch of nutjobs!)
Can you tell me if among these companions there are any faggots, trannies and such?
Daeran and Aru can swing both ways as far as romance options go. If you choose to ignore their "advances" nothing happens. Your call.

Also sorry for the late reply. Been playing. :)
Thanks man. I hope the bugs aren't to bad.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"Fedora is better at D&D than you are. Face it. You cast delay poison beforehand anyway, not when you notice posion is used. Beside you used the communal extended version, which lasts 2 hours. 1 click, 1 slot."

Dude. My tank is my MC who is a dwarf paladin. Fuck your silly little 'poison'. You ar emore likely to poison yourself than me. LMAO I also don't make it a habit to run into poisonous clouds with my other characters. L0LZ

"Playing without Death Ward is... what? A special kind of tactic? You like being level drained?"

Restoration gets rid of it. They're the same level, and no need to spam death ward 'just in case' of energy drain. Now, when I start getting death effects, I'll think about it. Also, if level drain worked the same as some earlier games like NWN and sucked your spell slots so you have to redo them then I'd likely use death ward more. L0L I even bought DW scrolls early on 'just in case' and have yet to use them.

" Barkskin is the best source of natural armor period. If you have someone that can cast it and don't use it that's 5 less AC you could have on a frontliner."

Got no druid. I have a cloak of natural ac +3. My character has 40 ac unbuffed by spells starting chapter 3. I think I'm in good shape. LMAO except I'm sure they'll do some cheesy shit to make that ac meaningless. l0lz

"5+ attacks per turn,"

Act 4? Big deal. You played ch2, right? Stauten's demon girlfriend has 6-8 attacks, and she can energy drain you. :D he has 4 attacks as well. HAHAHA! And, you whine about chapter 4 bosses. :P You got past them, that should be nothing.

"People farther in the game than me correct me, but I think ~AC 35 is low on act 4. Also 5 attacks per turn was something I've seen even in act 2."

Yup. see above for details. And, I *just* started act 3. I have 40 no buff ac on my tank MC, and I saw Miragyo do something 6-8 attacks in 1 round. I stopped counting after awhile. L0LZ

LEARN TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION YOU RETARDED CUNT

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Camellia can cast Barkskin, one of the best things about her."

I use mercs. And, don't adventure with cannibals. I rather not wake up with my arm being barbecued for a late night snack. L0L Still waiting for my chance to kill her. :D

"LEARN TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION YOU RETARDED CUNT"

Are you disabled?

I use old fashion quotes the way I was taught in school when I was quoting someone. Now, go learn how to get gud at rpgs if you gonna post in rog forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom