Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Back on topic, we all know where this will end.

Yy0aWvN.png

o kurwa this is pure gold

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm surprised someone hasn't started an indiegogo campaign to make a dark web version of the codex.

It needn't be only accesssible via darknet. You can run a proxy on I2P from a different connection. It then can't be traced to the original hosting provider.

DarkUnderlord are you going to transfer ownership to a person from the US? If not, I'd like to formulate a plan for hosting a reverse-proxy+darknet version of the Codex. For the sake of reputation, I will reveal my personal identity as an IT professional upon your request. Just to brag:

I'd like to know the peak bandwidth usage for the Codex as that influences the darknet choice.

i4gr5H8.png

This completely cracked me up.

Ehrenmann

I'm surprised someone hasn't started an indiegogo campaign to make a dark web version of the codex.

It needn't be only accesssible via darknet. You can run a proxy on I2P from a different connection. It then can't be traced to the original hosting provider.

DarkUnderlord are you going to transfer ownership to a person from the US? If not, I'd like to formulate a plan for hosting a reverse-proxy+darknet version of the Codex. For the sake of reputation, I will reveal my personal identity as an IT professional upon your request. Just to brag:

I'd like to know the peak bandwidth usage for the Codex as that influences the darknet choice.

i4gr5H8.png

This completely cracked me up.
Codex space bases are real???

Archwizard Hank

Learned
No, that’s a bad idea.

[snip]

Then only archive threads that contain noteworthy conversations, were significant to the history of the site or the history of game development, or were otherwise noteworthy in general. This site's been around for a long time, and big names in the industry have used it. If that's not worth preserving, I don't know what is. Alternatively, archive the site in its entirety (or cherry-pick threads, whatever) but replace everyone's screen names with a placeholder like "anonymous." It wouldn't be a perfect solution and people in the know could still identify posts based on writing style and posting habits, but you'd at least have the content and a thin layer of obscurity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Here's what I've come up with after thinking over this the past few days.

1) RPG Codex as a more heavily-moderated RPG site is just RPGWatch. If you want to talk about crpgs without all the icky people, just go to the Watch. That place already exists.

2) RPG Codex rebranded as a free speech site would attract even more icky people, change the culture of this place, and make it more likely to attract attention from those who would want to shut it down.

My proposal is thus: people who are mostly here to post potentially-liable things should have their GD privileges removed and/or be sent back to the moderation queue in the gaming sections. If they don't like it and don't want to change, they should, at minimum, have to send their photo alongside their photo ID to DU. Freedom isn't free. :M

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
1.) The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful. We have had several public instances, and I am sure many more that never bothered making a thread or post about it. Especially given how vitriolic and hostile some are with it (which is true of the codex in general). This has actually weakened the diversity of different viewpoints being presented for discussion on the codex.

Pretty much this. Over the last 6 years when more and more sites were putting a leash on certain subjects stirring up nothing but hate, RPCGodex has served like the filter that collects the filth from the internet.

You can propose your ideas how you want to rid of that. I would just throw away the filter and install a new one. Freedom of speech would never be touched. All topics can still be discussed in an adult manner but one needs to make it clear that degenerate posting habits are not welcome anymore so the subjects either give up and head somewhere else, or learn to behave like human beings again.

A split would imo be a clean solution. The people who want change back to civility could go to the new site, and the ones who like the place as it is now can stay here and take care of legal issues by themselves. For example Lady Error could buy the old site from DU, register at the NIC under her real name and run a server from West Sahara. Then they could try to maintain their envisioned free speech site about astrology, antisemitism, inceldom and anticapitalism while people like me do not have to be uncomfortable that their posts are hidden among all that filth.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
1.) The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful. We have had several public instances, and I am sure many more that never bothered making a thread or post about it. Especially given how vitriolic and hostile some are with it (which is true of the codex in general). This has actually weakened the diversity of different viewpoints being presented for discussion on the codex.

Pretty much this. Over the last 6 years when more and more sites were putting a leash on certain subjects stirring up nothing but hate, RPCGodex has served like the filter that collects the filth from the internet.

You can propose your ideas how you want to rid of that. I would just throw away the filter and install a new one. Freedom of speech would never be touched. All topics can still be discussed in an adult manner but one needs to make it clear that degenerate posting habits are not welcome anymore so the subjects either give up and head somewhere else, or learn to behave like human beings again.

A split would imo be a clean solution. The people who want change back to civility could go to the new site, and the ones who like the place as it is now can stay here and take care of legal issues by themselves. For example Lady Error could buy the old site from DU, register at the NIC under her real name and run a server from West Sahara. Then they could try to maintain their envisioned free speech site about astrology, antisemitism, inceldom and anticapitalism while people like me do not have to be uncomfortable that their posts are hidden among all that filth.
There are about a billion video game websites that already cater to your sensibilities.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The split already exists. You can block GD and not have to see it.

Are you are complaining about stuff posted outside GD, or just that people with viewpoints you despise are discussing games?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I find it a bit surprising to see even a few people suggest that it's OK to lock the RPG Codex and just migrate to the Watch if they remove our freedoms. The implication that the only difference between the Codex and Watch (or any other gaming forum) is that you can say naughty words and go unpunished here is a bit sad and shows how maybe some people haven't really interacted with the gaming component of this site. It certainly goes much deeper than that. Freedom to express yourself using vulgarities is all well and good, I do it myself as well, but even if you censor that part of this site it would still stand unique among all the other gaming sites. Even the Watch can't claim to have the in-depth conversations that we have on video games across multiple generations, platforms and genres.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I find it a bit surprising to see even a few people suggest that it's OK to lock the RPG Codex and just migrate to the Watch if they remove our freedoms. The implication that the only difference between the Codex and Watch (or any other gaming forum) is that you can say naughty words and go unpunished here is a bit sad and shows how maybe some people haven't really interacted with the gaming component of this site. It certainly goes much deeper than that. Freedom to express yourself using vulgarities is all well and good, I do it myself as well, but even if you censor that part of this site it would still stand unique among all the other gaming sites. Even the Watch can't claim to have the in-depth conversations that we have on video games across multiple generations, platforms and genres.
A few people doesn't mean majority lol. Most people don't even know about this thread. But yeah,we do have a lot of people that come here for the political garbage and not for the game aspect.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned

That's a lot of words when all you are asking for is to have you and your inflamed vaxx balls watchwitzed.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
1) RPG Codex as a more heavily-moderated RPG site is just RPGWatch. If you want to talk about crpgs without all the icky people, just go to the Watch. That place already exists.
My proposal is thus: people who are mostly here to post potentially-liable things should have their GD privileges removed and/or be sent back to the moderation queue in the gaming sections. If they don't like it and don't want to change, they should, at minimum, have to send their photo alongside their photo ID to DU.

theyre-the-same-picture-pam-the-office-meme.png

(except your proposal goes even farther than RPG Watch with a complete disregard for privacy)

Humanophage

Arcane
Personally, I see it as a free speech website for people with good taste and real in-depth non-mainstream interests in life. Having a vivid interest in good RPGs is a filter. It typically correlates with other interests like certain films, music, etc. And also certain political views.

You have to be truly slow on the uptake to like RPGs and not see the damage inflicted on them by "the current year", the console trend, the corporate agendas, the censorship, the cancelling, the lying bottom-feeder journos, the woke who infiltrate companies with boards and taskforces, and so on. Anyone who values good RPGs must also be deeply suspicious of woke impulses in other cultural domains.

This is a complete misdiagnosis. The woke RPG websites are the leftie Anglo echo chambers with a very narrow focus. The Codex has an international audience which represents the distribution of opinions among youngish men in broader areas where people like RPGs. Sites like RPGWatch and ResetEra have a mainly Anglo audience and aggressively censor other people. Now, where are good RPGs popular - are they popular in Anglo US and the UK, or are they popular in the likes of Poland and Russia? What do you think are the prevalent opinions on wokeness in Poland and Russia - or even among white Americans? RPGCodex is the actual international website where everyone can share their views, while RPGWatch and such are parochial echo chambers.
cKutDV3.jpg

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why not just address the issue directly, rather than trying to be indirect about it?

snip

So the solution is to create a different echo chamber in which a bunch of cucks jerks each other off over their strong opinions on how removing Miranda´s ass shots from ME remake is a decisive blow against patriarchy? Yeah, no thanks. You think that Retardera has a higher "diversity of viewpoints" than Codex does? LMAO.

I wouldn’t really overestimate the current echo chamber on the Codex either. We have a huge number of cucks posting here (Morgoth being their uncrowned king), who are free to post whatever they want and many of them have post counts in thousands (how many posts could an average Codexer make on Retardera btw, I would say between 1 and 3 depending on how fast their mods are). These people could influence the general discourse on the forum much more, they don’t because they are cowards and cucks, not because a group of evil racists would shout them down or get them banned.

snip.

Dunno man, the first time I heard about the Codex was in circa 2008 on TTLG. There was this “proto-cuck” there (I am sure he grew up to be a strong BLM supporter and properly self-hating white boi since then) who at one point tried to insult people by responding to their posts with “What is your RPG Codex handle?”

Obviously I wasn’t around here back then but the reputation of the Codex seemed to be basically the same 13 years ago as it is now.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
On Codex I can use every word imaginable to describe Bethesda, Toddler, Hines and what they did to Fallout. I cannot do that anywhere else.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love how all the alts come out for threads like this.

If your arguments are so good, you shouldn't need to spam them across multiple accounts.

Astroturfing is gay.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Can you blame them? So there are like, what, 3 places left on the internet you can go where the fucking thought police are not breathing down your neck and looking for CrimeThink™. And in typically lefty fashion your proposed solution, which I'm not going to repost the entirety of here is--- "Welllllll, a -little- moderation is ok on topics A, F, G, T, and Z." Because those are naughty. But that's it... Return a year later and now Topics A-M, and P through Z are thoroughly banned / verboten. Do you know how I know this? Because I have eyes and the ability to watch the trajectory of time and historical precedent.

This 'compromise' approach is how radical leftists have infiltrated every single organization in the West over the past 6 decades. You always come with an Olive Branch in one hand until you reach a critical mass of other shitlibs and wokesters. Then you terraform the place in short order turning it into Tumblr/Reddit v2.0. Fuck that noise. I've seen it happen too many times and watched it collapse other places both virtual and physical. It is old & tired and we are VERY hip to the methods now. Take your Olive Branch and find a dark place for it.

You want to start the Lefty terraforming of one of the last places left where you can hear unmoderated, unfiltered, and truly free speech. Because Muh Modern Day Sensibilities & Feelings. Nah son... as was stated above 99.5% of the internet already works like that. Find another home. Either shut the entire thing down and cave to the Woke Agenda or find a -creative- way to sidestep it as was offered earlier. You can easily move this entire domain, its public contact / holder, etc. into any number of countries & people's names were the Thought Police will have great difficulty attempting to destroy one of the last good and pure things left on the interwebz. Act Accordingly...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well the best way is to just ban all the kwan retards that pollute this place with their political shit.

PS: I am surprised that a lot of people take DP that seriously lol. He is negro gay dude from california larping as a fucking conservative lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom