Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian = Decline. OwlCat = Incline.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Larian = Decline. OwlCat = Incline.

Larian = decline, sure
Owlcat, on the other hand = abysmal decline and not just for their wokeshit, besides from using pathfinder ruleset, they brought nothing of value.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stop pretending there is something DEEEEEEEEP. There is nothing wrong with just wanting to pew-pew things.

It is not "pew pew", I have most of my slots Negative Eruption cuz it is clearly the best tier 9 spell for most situations. But I still have other spells memorized. I can use negative eruption to damage, to heal, to buff, it is just amazing. Most tier 9 spells has a caster level cap of 20. Negative Eruption doesn't.

I'm pretty sure if you could use higher level spells in BG3 you could probably inflict a similar fate to the characters.

Nope because this spells are much more nerfed in 5E. Polymorth requires concentration and a limited duration. And Polymorth is not a high level spell. Is a tier 5 spell. You can cast it even in low level D&D CRPG's. Dark Sun : Shattered Lands is a level 3 to 9 game and you can cast it there.

But I'm not denying that PF:WoTR has woke stuff in it.

they brought nothing of value.

Mythic paths. Amazing powers coming by milestone leveling which changes the story like gothic 1/2's guilds changes the story.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Mythic paths. Amazing powers coming by milestone leveling
They are not needed. Just another bloat to deal with enemy stats bloat.
You stop seeing new enemies in chapter 3 already. Even jrpgs would be ashamed of such shameless enemy recolors. Incubus. Incubus Butcher. Enhanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard Mk2.
Your EPUK LEVELZ LICHEZ is banal and boring shit. If i had any doubts before wotr helped clearing them for me.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
They should make a trans character that chops off their dick in the early game to try and become a real woman and then in late game deeply regrets that decision and commits suicide.

This is something that happens all the time irl.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even jrpgs would be ashamed of such shameless enemy recolors. Incubus. Incubus Butcher. Enhanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard Mk2.
Your EPUK LEVELZ LICHEZ is banal and boring shit.

I agreed with you, that the game in late ch 4 and onwards is too bloated. I also agreed in other thread that one problem of epic gameplay is that a lot of iconic enemies, like mindflayers, beholders and even dragons become cakewalk hence high level CRPG often resorts to bloating.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They should make a trans character that chops off their dick in the early game to try and become a real woman and then in late game deeply regrets that decision and commits suicide.

This is something that happens all the time irl.

Well, these games are about living in a fantasy world.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I also agreed in other thread that one problem of epic gameplay is that a lot of iconic enemies, like mindflayers, beholders and even dragons become cakewalk hence high level CRPG often resorts to bloating.
You start killing dragons at level 10. It's not even midgame. Few hours later you already assrape godlike beings in abyss.

Zeriel

Arcane
I haven't been following. Do all female characters in Pathfinder are trans?

Either that or bi or gay. It's actually kind of funny, even the ones who are straight they felt the need to lampshade that they are probably batting both directions.

I wanted to make this point before but I guess I'll do it now: I live in a deep blue city, probably has one of the highest concentration of LGBT+ people in the world, and I barely ever see them. That's what is so absurd about the "representation" push in media, and why it rubs people the wrong way. It's not about representing reality, it's about distorting reality. Even setting aside it's a fantasy world that shouldn't track 1:1 to our world... in our world, in a place where this stuff is pushed and you have the most of these demographics, trannies, gays, even bisexuals, are anywhere from less than 1% of the population to maybe 5%. Yet in games, movies, TV shows, etc, they push the representation to HALF or more. It's absolutely insane. And it does fuck with people's heads. I've heard Europeans who come here to visit who act surprised because they thought, from media, that our country had to be at least 50% black.

Saravan

Savant
You stop seeing new enemies in chapter 3 already. Even jrpgs would be ashamed of such shameless enemy recolors. Incubus. Incubus Butcher. Enhanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard. Mythic Encanced Incubus Butcher Guard Mk2.
Your EPUK LEVELZ LICHEZ is banal and boring shit. If i had any doubts before wotr helped clearing them for me.

Every value turns to Zimbabwe currency late game. Ability scores, items, damage, hit number, AC, saving throws even money itself - which tells you a lot about how difficulty and encounter design is managed. It's just a matter of gradually increasing static numbers to the underlying combat system, the worst way to deal with difficulty.

Zeriel

Arcane

Every value turns to Zimbabwe currency late game. Ability scores, items, damage, hit number, AC, saving throws even money itself - which tells you a lot about how difficulty and encounter design is managed. It's just a matter of gradually increasing static numbers to the underlying combat system, the worst way to deal with difficulty.

While googling some stuff I found discussions from the tabletop modules and it sounds like a lot of these problems are in the tabletop too. One fight they mentioned the module tells the DM to have an enemy use Wish to full heal as a swift action just so an enemy can survive the 1st turn.

I do think they made a mistake in not introducing the epic stuff gradually as you level up. Mythic paths as a concept seems fundamentally broken for this "two tracks" reason--having epic levels makes more sense since you introduce all the wacky stuff once people are in the end-game, instead of introducing it from fucking level 1.

Saravan

Savant

While googling some stuff I found discussions from the tabletop modules and it sounds like a lot of these problems are in the tabletop too. One fight they mentioned the module tells the DM to have an enemy use Wish to full heal as a swift action just so an enemy can survive the 1st turn.

Yes that's true, a lot is simply due to the ruleset which is out of their control. You have to at some point increase these numbers as players level up. But it is uninspiring that it is the only thing they can come up with in a video game. The problem circles back to simplistic AI, your options are limited at that point.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I do think they made a mistake in not introducing the epic stuff gradually as you level up. Mythic paths as a concept seems fundamentally broken for this "two tracks" reason--having epic levels makes more sense since you introduce all the wacky stuff once people are in the end-game, instead of introducing it from fucking level 1.

What about other APs? I would love to play Rise of the Runelords. According to Lacrymas, this is the worst AP from Paizo.

My opinion? I loved WoTR but still prefer Kingmaker way more. I like more the story, atmosphere, dungeons, encounters and so on.

Zeriel

Arcane

What about other APs? I would love to play Rise of the Runelords. According to Lacrymas, this is the worst AP from Paizo.

My opinion? I loved WoTR but still prefer Kingmaker way more. I like more the story, atmosphere, dungeons, encounters and so on.

My understanding is that mythic paths are only in WOTR but maybe I'm wrong. I honestly know almost nothing about Pathfinder and its modules. Also worth mentioning Owlcat drastically changed them, tabletop mythic paths were extremely generic "normal" classes just amped up.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I second this. I was on chapter 4 and was like "why can't my dudes hit that guy? it's just a Vrock. Oh, my bad it's a Mythin Vrock Asassin, that explains it". Not to mention one of the high level foes is the Babau Warrior. Were the Babau I was fighting in chapter 1 tourists or something?

Reinhardt

Arcane

I second this. I was on chapter 4 and was like "why can't my dudes hit that guy? it's just a Vrock. Oh, my bad it's a Mythin Vrock Asassin, that explains it". Not to mention one of the high level foes is the Babau Warrior. Were the Babau I was fighting in chapter 1 tourists or something?
Any random hobo beggar demon group from chapter 4 could just roll over crusade and stop only somewhere in mendev capital because they are bored. Fucking Minagho casually gains 4-5 levels between each encounter despite being bitchslapped in every battle.

Zeriel

Arcane

Any random hobo beggar demon group from chapter 4 could just roll over crusade and stop only somewhere in mendev capital because they are bored. Fucking Minagho casually gains 4-5 levels between each encounter despite being bitchslapped in every battle.

I mean even Act 1 Minagho is insanely buffed and could canonically destroy literally every major character in the setting afaik. The stats/levels honestly don't make much sense.

Reinhardt

Arcane

I mean even Act 1 Minagho is insanely buffed and could canonically destroy literally every major character in the setting afaik. The stats/levels honestly don't make much sense.
In her last encounter she's 30+ iirc. Where she was grinding for exp? I want it too!

Zeriel

Arcane

In her last encounter she's 30+ iirc. Where she was grinding for exp? I want it too!

Isn't she over 30 in her first encounter if you add her levels together? If you mean single class levels nevermind.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Imagine this, you hated the WOKE POZ in Wrath of the Righteous. It offended you so much you actually began to experience the first symptoms of rabies somehow. In the midst of this harrowing discovery you start to look to Larian as the last great hope for the CRPG. They have Baldur's Gate 3, after all. Sure it's 5E and 5E is enjoyed by people that seriously debate comic book plotlines on YouTube reaction videos, but it's something over nothing... and most importantly, it isn't POZ.

But you've accepted Larian as your savior. A gay vampire companion, that can't be bad, right? At least it isn't a BLACK WOMAN as a PALADIN, which is way worse. Vampires suck as is, homosexuality is an acceptable transition.

Yet the more you dwell on it, the more you think, and the more it begins to dawn on you: Wrath had some really stupid writing, some really corny romance dialogue, it even had transsexuals. Simply awful and unacceptable for someone of your big dick energy.

But BG3 is going to have fully mocapped animated sex scenes.

That's right, all those words you would have read otherwise and spam clicked to skip over is now instead going to be given the gift of animated life. You shit yourself in primal fear over how fucked this is going to be. It's Larian after all, Swen dresses up in tin medieval armor because nobody has the heart to tell him he looks like an idiot. This is the ride you're on now.

So everyone rating Meredoth's post as retarded just remember one thing about BG3: your game is going to be -- and it already looks -- way gayer.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Imagine this, you hated the WOKE POZ in Wrath of the Righteous. It offended you so much you actually began to experience the first symptoms of rabies somehow. In the midst of this harrowing discovery you start to look to Larian as the last great hope for the CRPG. They have Baldur's Gate 3, after all. Sure it's 5E and 5E is enjoyed by people that seriously debate comic book plotlines on YouTube reaction videos, but it's something over nothing... and most importantly, it isn't POZ.

But you've accepted Larian as your savior. A gay vampire companion, that can't be bad, right? At least it isn't a BLACK WOMAN as a PALADIN, which is way worse. Vampires suck as is, homosexuality is an acceptable transition.

Yet the more you dwell on it, the more you think, and the more it begins to dawn on you: Wrath had some really stupid writing, some really corny romance dialogue, it even had transsexuals. Simply awful and unacceptable for someone of your big dick energy.

But BG3 is going to have fully mocapped animated sex scenes.

That's right, all those words you would have read otherwise and spam clicked to skip over is now instead going to be given the gift of animated life. You shit yourself in primal fear over how fucked this is going to be. It's Larian after all, Swen dresses up in tin medieval armor because nobody has the heart to tell him he looks like an idiot. This is the ride you're on now.

So everyone rating Meredoth's post as retarded just remember one thing about BG3: your game is going to be -- and it already looks -- way gayer.

Can't wait. For years RPGs were mainly rated based on writing and combat. Now we'll also be able to rate them by pozz. Perhaps one day we'll have RPG Codex top 101 most pozzed cRPGs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vampires are always cool. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, in animes like Hellsing, in TSR's D&D(Strahd and Barovia), even a very dumbed down action game called skyrim did amazing with the vampire lord DLC. Only Beamdog and Larian managed to make vampirism so awful...

Seriously. Compare.

TmnN6y6.png

9RdM46B.png

Vampires is the coolest form of undeath. How bad someone needs to be to pick the coolest form of undeath and make ... Astarion?? How? There are so many amazing vampires in pop culture to take as inspiration. To not say that I've a bias towards western media, look to Dio Brando and Alucard from Hellsing. Two anime vampires which are far more vampire than Astarion can ever be in his dreams.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's what you get when you hire soyboys and fangirls. The same scent of cat piss exudes from most male characters in WOTR for that matter, the whole "squeeeeee let me write what I want to ship", only in the case of loveless cat ladies this tends to be what is pictured above, rather than something actually desirable to normal, functioning adults.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lich and shadows/wraiths were always peak undead to me.

Mellifleur01.jpg

This nigga is reading with no eyes. Hellen Keller wishes she had this power.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom