Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well the best way is to just ban all the kwan retards that pollute this place with their political shit.

Yes, ban the eternal anglos
90% of all the sjws in here are kwans,the rest of kwans are just some limp dicked liberal muh taxes and muh constitution retards. The amount of quality kwan posters compared to the retards,is within the acceptable loss.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful.

Some 7 years ago everyone was fine with casual racism. It's not like they forgot how to deal with it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful.

Some 7 years ago everyone was fine with casual racism. It's not like they forgot how to deal with it.
More like 10.

Ehrenmann

Why do some people here not realise that there is no such thing as restrained moderation. People out there are gonna destroy your life just for saying the n word. They don't care if Codex bans the most vile spammers. They see even the mildest case of racism and whole Codex bears the collective guilt. Solution is to transfer the ownership somewhere where it is legally doable.

People who think that we can tweak this and that rule to make it work are dreamers at best.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do some people here not realise that there is no such thing as restrained moderation. People out there are gonna destroy your life just for saying the n word. They don't care if Codex bans the most vile spammers. They see even the mildest case of racism and whole Codex bears the collective guilt. Solution is to transfer the ownership somewhere where it is legally doable.

People who think that we can tweak this and that rule to make it work are dreamers at best.

I think the bigger issue is that even if the Codex did manage to pull off a restrained moderation policy, as near impossible as that is, the line for what is acceptable under Aus defamation rules would constantly shift.

The moderation would become harsher and harsher out of the simple necessity of skirting the laws.

A horse of course

None of this shit would've happened had the Prisoner of Ice LP just been updated on time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't handle the bacon

There is no such thing as "restrained and unbiased moderation". You can see it with Rogue's "icky people" comment that she spent several days thinking about, apparently. What is this universally-accepted without discussion meaning of "icky people" that should just be banned outright? Completely different things to different people. If you ask me, DoublePenetration and BurningBridges are "icky people" who should be banned for outright demanding the purge of everyone who disagrees with current_year and their fee-fees. So, you had better hope that whatever mod is evaluating your comment for wrongthink happens to have similar political beliefs to yourself. Oh wait, they probably won't, given that the whole point of this exercise is to be in lockstep with Australian censorship laws.

Expect a slew of wokinista mods vomiting mentally ill accusations and flagrantly abusing their mod powers to the applause of lefturds, as normal people leave this place. The Nudex is an army of pink-haired demon clowns raging about drumpf and qanon, forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I agree,instead we should fine a way for DU to not end up in a smaller gulag than australia. After all,this whole discussion is because he is afraid,not about ideological garbage.

A horse of course

Regards of the context, it's true that there are people on this site who do nothing but start drama and cause headaches for moderation rather than contributing to the community. I don't understand why they weren't banned in the first place.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
1.) The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful. We have had several public instances, and I am sure many more that never bothered making a thread or post about it. Especially given how vitriolic and hostile some are with it (which is true of the codex in general). This has actually weakened the diversity of different viewpoints being presented for discussion on the codex.

Pretty much this. Over the last 6 years when more and more sites were putting a leash on certain subjects stirring up nothing but hate, RPCGodex has served like the filter that collects the filth from the internet.

You can propose your ideas how you want to rid of that. I would just throw away the filter and install a new one. Freedom of speech would never be touched. All topics can still be discussed in an adult manner but one needs to make it clear that degenerate posting habits are not welcome anymore so the subjects either give up and head somewhere else, or learn to behave like human beings again.

A split would imo be a clean solution. The people who want change back to civility could go to the new site, and the ones who like the place as it is now can stay here and take care of legal issues by themselves. For example Lady Error could buy the old site from DU, register at the NIC under her real name and run a server from West Sahara. Then they could try to maintain their envisioned free speech site about astrology, antisemitism, inceldom and anticapitalism while people like me do not have to be uncomfortable that their posts are hidden among all that filth.

I have an alternative suggestion: systematically ban all potential sources of reports to the authorities, such as these SJWs I'm replying to

EDIT: Perhaps only from GD in a more serious version of this suggestion; or perhaps there should be an edgy and non-edgy GD section, with the edgy GD having more gating.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Lmfao.

The single dumbest comment in this entire thread was about the quality of this year's food harvest. Pass that shit over here dawg, you've had too much.

If I can't say my favorite cowardly words here anonymously people won't know how tough and cool I wish I was. Fucking pathetic.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
1.) The echo chamber effect is taking place. Since more casually racist folks and those whose primary motivation is to fight the culture wars have congregated on the codex since Gamergate caused moderation to tighten up regarding those topics at most other sites, that has caused a real and noticeable shift in the discourse and it has actually driven away other posters who disagreed with that or found it distasteful. We have had several public instances, and I am sure many more that never bothered making a thread or post about it. Especially given how vitriolic and hostile some are with it (which is true of the codex in general). This has actually weakened the diversity of different viewpoints being presented for discussion on the codex.

Pretty much this. Over the last 6 years when more and more sites were putting a leash on certain subjects stirring up nothing but hate, RPCGodex has served like the filter that collects the filth from the internet.

You can propose your ideas how you want to rid of that. I would just throw away the filter and install a new one. Freedom of speech would never be touched. All topics can still be discussed in an adult manner but one needs to make it clear that degenerate posting habits are not welcome anymore so the subjects either give up and head somewhere else, or learn to behave like human beings again.

A split would imo be a clean solution. The people who want change back to civility could go to the new site, and the ones who like the place as it is now can stay here and take care of legal issues by themselves. For example Lady Error could buy the old site from DU, register at the NIC under her real name and run a server from West Sahara. Then they could try to maintain their envisioned free speech site about astrology, antisemitism, inceldom and anticapitalism while people like me do not have to be uncomfortable that their posts are hidden among all that filth.

I have an alternative suggestion: systematically ban all potential sources of reports to the authorities, such as these SJWs I'm replying to
Yup,making it a privet server with a few well know dudes is one of the way. Tho it is too late for that. Also DU is too much of a liberal to shift trough the users and see who is what.

A horse of course

Off the top of my head, several of the instances in which people tried to get the codex in legal trouble were just angry former posters, not bunkertrannies. I'm not saying leftoids aren't trying to corrupt and marginalize the site (as several threads in site feedback illustrate), merely that you could permaban every single user suspected of leftism or - even worse - being a National Review contributor (darkpatriot), but you'd still have trouble with schizos.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Regards of the context, it's true that there are people on this site who do nothing but start drama and cause headaches for moderation rather than contributing to the community. I don't understand why they weren't banned in the first place.

this thread is getting too fat

racofer

Thread Incliner
A consider we are all freely role playing our speech skills.
  • We all use fictitious names and forum avatars (role playing);
  • Our forum personas are free (free) to engage other participants, and the only form of interaction we have is through forum posts (speech), within limit of the forum rules (free speech game rules), e.g., pedos, jews, and communists are verboten;
  • Our interactions are measured through a scoring system represented by over 80 different rating buttons (game system);
  • Some people are so into the game they decide to buy premium packages to unlock specific forum areas (DLC) and unlock special rating buttons (loot boxes);

Lemming42

Arcane
The Codex is a true free speech site, but over the past several years it's devolved into being a hugbox for mentally retarded people to shit themselves over topics such as the existence of black people and the existence of pink or blue hair dye. This is boring as hell because it's the same hobby horse topic bullshit day in day out, but also, as others have said, the neverending culture war circlejerk of infinite tedium has driven away people who just want to talk about games - ie people who should form the bulk of the userbase.

This seems to happen with any free speech place on the internet - eventually, one group of ideologues run it over and do their best to make it unusable for everyone else. Tumblr had no moderation back in the day, which is how it eventually became a bizarre hall of mirrors where teenagers managed to indoctrinate each other into batshit-mental belief systems which many of them are probably still trying to work their way through mentally today. In the Codex's case, lack of moderation meant that dumbfuck nazi LARPers with identical views took over parts of the site and, worst of all, bled their autism into the forums intended to be used for actual gaming discussion.

These people were amusing back when racist/nazi/culture war shit didn't end up in almost every fucking thread. Having neo-nazis (and other maniacs) on the site is a laugh and enriches the site, as long as their rampant autism is contained and tempered by the existence of a wider userbase who point and laugh at them. We presently lack such a userbase. I miss the days when the likes of Bradylama (PBUH) would say some retarded commie shit, then meet a wave of opposition from equally retarded people on the other end of the political spectrum. That's the Codex I want to get back to.

As always, no idea what the solution is. You can't moderate a hugbox out of existence, removing freedom of speech is obviously not an option as it'd just turn us into any other shitty site on the internet, and there's currently no way to draw new users in unless they happen to be aging white nationalist virgins who've stumbled upon their own kind. Unless the community organically manages to evolve back towards apolitical gaming discussion of its own accord, we're stuck at an impasse.

Weirdly enough, KiwiFarms actually seems to be in better shape than most other free speech/no moderation sites, in that there's actually a reasonably wide range of people and viewpoints represented, and a healthy array of topics discussed. No idea what it is they're doing right. Maybe we should open a DarkSydePhil subforum and steal some of their thunder.

Splitting the site would be laugh-out-loud funny and go wrong in many ways, plus it'd piss absolutely everyone on all sides of the debate off, so it's always a good option.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
DU could just add "The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact" under the "Doesnt scale to your level" thingy.

A horse of course

Weirdly enough, KiwiFarms actually seems to be in better shape than most other free speech/no moderation sites, in that there's actually a reasonably wide range of people and viewpoints represented, and a healthy array of topics discussed. No idea what it is they're doing right. Maybe we should open a DarkSydePhil subforum and steal some of their thunder.

Kiwifarms was barely usable for the past 2 months because your tranny friend faked his death and paid other trannies to DDOS them. KF is also hit with legal threats all the time, and the site's owner actually studied law to better deal with them. Pretty much everything about kiwifarms is built around minimizing the power of the authorities and being able to poast retarded shit, not facilitating high-quality discussion. The average thread there is either laughing at a dog-fucking pedophile who boiled their hamster, or GD-tier political discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom