Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can the simple & shallow be good? Or Im becoming a popamole old fag?

Cazzeris

Drop that old fag popamole shit.

Best keep your love for games away from reputation and pettiness. Older users suck anyway, because they think they know everything (and maybe they should, but none of them manage to comply and instead fall into the easy lie)

Seems to me like you already made up your mind and are now looking for brownie points.

The more I care about games, the less I care for gamers.

Zlaja

Arcane
The only thing this thread is lacking is some sad violin music in the background.

Diablo 3 is miles better than D2 and any other action RPG for being able to zone out and click shit

You can 'zone out and click shit' in almost any hack and slash loot fest. It's practically the genre in a nutshell (unless playing on hardcore).

You can 'zone out and click shit' in almost any hack and slash loot fest. It's practically the genre in a nutshell (unless playing on hardcore).
Sure, but the combat in D3 feels quite good once you get into the zone (Abilities on elites leading to slightly unique methods of play and even a lot of the generic enemies themselves can have some fun wrinkles) and D3's loot being geared toward your character class means you're a little more likely to find stuff you can use while clicking, and the free and constant respecs mean you can toy with your build while zoning out and clicking rather than theorycrafting a build beforehand and following it level to level (Or looking it up online and following it). D3's a really smooth experience and barring hardcore you basically can't permanently fuck your character up which means you can stay zoned out at all stages of playing the game. Come to think of it D2's the odd man out in this regard since in D1 you aren't punished too harshly by zoning out either, except for potential stat drains and/or poorly spent stats and even then D1's a bit more forgiving about it than D2.

Zlaja

Arcane
Sure, but the combat in D3 feels quite good once you get into the zone

Into the zone? I thought you wanted to 'zone out'? ;)

Come to think of it D2's the odd man out in this regard since in D1 you aren't punished too harshly by zoning out either, except for potential stat drains and/or poorly spent stats and even then D1's a bit more forgiving about it than D2

Yeah, but only if you wanna take the char to higher difficulties. You can make a train wreck of a character, and still be able to complete normal mode.

Into the zone? I thought you wanted to 'zone out'? ;)
There are many zones, and navigating them takes careful skill! I do tend to want to get to at least middling difficulty though, D1's the only game in the series where I felt satisfied on normal. I assume it's the skill points of D2 and the extreme loot whoring in D3 that make me want to get deeper.

Viata

Arcane
I remember being in trance by playing Frozen Bubble continuously for an entire nght.

So a shitty clone of the superior puzzle bobble:

I used to play this and Puyo Puyo on arcade a lot. I still play both, but now only in emulators. These two and Tetris are my favorite tile-matching games. Can't hate arcade games, you just insert a coin and done, 100% of gameplay. No dumb writer trying to show his shitty skills in video game plots.

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Judging by your examples, it seems to me it's more a matter of distaste or a growing lack of tolerance towards time-sinkers and bloated gameplay than "complexity" (whatever that might be) itself.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Elegant design is the best design. The ideal system is one that is easy to learn, but difficult to master, and can provide meaningful engagement for a broad range of skill levels while encouraging learning and growth.

Just play Chess.

I have never been into it myself, but chess is a perfect example. You can learn the rules in five minutes, but the gameplay is so rich that people spend their whole lives studying it. Few inputs creating millions of outputs.

In contrast you have something like Pillars of Eternity, which is systems layered on systems, none of which ultimately make much difference in the grand scheme of things. It's the exact opposite of what you'd look to as good design.

MasPingon

Arcane
I've been thinking about this for some time now. As an old time Codexer, I was always an advocate for the deep & complex. R6, Jagged Alliances, SMAC, Planescape Torment, the deeper the better was my motto. But as I become older (40) I see myself lacking the patience I had before, and came to appreciate works in general (games, films, books, etc) that are quicker, simpler/shallower or easier to learn, more and more.

I see this is in RPGs. I don't go far into RPG games for more than a decade. Tried Skyrim, Witcher 3, Tides of Numanuma, etc. Played 10h or less in each and don't want to try again. They feel tiresome these days. Too many stats and quests and hearing karens problems for xp. Boooring. I see this in strategy games too, where I used to love full blown in-depth titles like Victoria 2 or Civ4 but nowadays find them kinda stressful and not so fun.

The games that have been the most fun in the last decade for me were simple ones, and usually fast paced. That bug metroidvania one, Hotlines, Souls and BB, Into the Beach (FTL stresses me), The spire one with cards, Hades, Among us, etc (yeah, I play Among us with my kids and it's hilarious).

But this really dawned on me when I was looking for a game to scratch my samurai itch and after analysing Total War Three Kingdoms vs RTK 14 and concluding that yes, Total War 3K seems the better game in all respects... I don't think I'll have the patience to learn and play it, and will probably get RTK14 which has the depth of a facebook game but relaxing music and funny portraits and so will be easier to play while drunk on my sofa after a days work (well, when I get a work because I'm unemployed right now, but you get the idea).

So bros. Anybody else finds complex games more and more stressful and not worthing it these days, and has prefering the simpler, faster or shallower ones? Please don't understand this a "very hard" thing, of course there are exceptions, be it some old game that became second nature for me (like SMAC) or some new shiny that manages to touch all my triggers (rarer by the day).

(cvv , D_X , The Brazilian Slaughter , DraQ , Crispy , I wanna hear ya because you're probably a bunch of old fags like myself)
Check your testosterone levels. Not saying it edgily. They're probably too low, time to start TRT. You'll love challenge again.
If you considered Skyrim, ToN and P:T(besides skillchecks and story) deep games and now you play Bloodborne, Souls and Hades it is possible your testosteron level grew to a men's level. Nothing to worry about, granted that you are not tranny.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the more game systems you have already learnt, the more off putting it is to learn a new one.
It's not a problem when you are young and nearly everything is new.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom