Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Wrathfinder builds general

Conan

Magister
High time we start a dedicated thread for builds and stuff.

Haven't played around with builds a lot yet, as it's quite overwhelming what with 100 archetypes.

For starters, I guess a melee wham-bam-thank-you-maam build probably has Rowdy at its core,
right?

Right now I am playing a Pala 2, Rowdy X aasimar and he fooken owns everything. Gave him the Ghost touched Phantom Falchion, and now he's a whirlwind of destruction with Enlarge person.

Shaki

Arbiter
You want melee wham bam, pick literally whatever melee class and go trickster mythic path, easy mode. It's actually cool that unlike Kingmaker you don't need munchkin builds, can just go pure barb or warrior and be viable on higher difficulties, thanks to Trickster mythic being braindead OP and making up for all the vulnerabilities they have.

As for classes themselves, Mutation Warrior/Instinctual Warrior are insanely strong melees

Mortmal

Arcane
Game clearly favor melee , by chapter 4 plenty of +5 weapons with extra abilities like AOE nukes and so on... For caster you get a quicken greater metamagic rod at best , and eventually something to improve summons , aka not undeads...Not to mention the game like to put you on frontline after some cutscenes , not giving you the time to pre cast sumons. The specific lich spells are great however and i rather use a maximized blood feast than a banshee wail.Far more micro for casters too in a game made for rtwp.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm thinking about making a Cavalier build for Seelah. The basic idea is to get a charge in with a longspear, which will hopefully crit, triggering Cleave and Outflank, at that point she will switch to a longsword and a shield to tank (She already starts out with a Shield Focus and Dodge, so taking advantage of that as well); when an opening will present itself, she'll charge with the longspear again (I know that there's no Quick Swap feat sadly).

So here's the preliminary build idea:

2. Paladin (improving cavalier's inferior will and reflex saves).
3. Gendarme until the end (build is quite feat starved). Order of the Sword (for the increased charge damage and improved critical attack rolls). Feats: Weapon Focus: Longspear, Power Attack. Charisma ->16
4. Saves: Lawful (Will),
5. Feats: Outflank, Cleave
6. -
7. Feats: Cleaving Finish
8. Feats: Great Cleave. Strength ->19
9. Feats: Improved Cleaving Finish
10. Feats: Mounted Combat
11. Feats Spirited Charge, Improved Critical: Longspear
12. Strength ->20
13. Feats: Critical Focus
14. Feats: Staggering Critical
15. Feats: Indomitable Mount
16. Strength ->21
17. Feats: Mounted Shield, Armor Focus: Heavy
18. -
19. Feats: Shield Wall
20. Feats: Shake It Off. Strength ->22

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I'm thinking about making a Cavalier build for Seelah. The basic idea is to get a charge in with a longspear, which will hopefully crit, triggering Cleave and Outflank, at that point she will switch to a longsword and a shield to tank (She already starts out with a Shield Focus and Dodge, so taking advantage of that as well); when an opening will present itself, she'll charge with the longspear again (I know that there's no Quick Swap feat sadly).

3. Gendarme until the end (build is quite feat starved). Order of the Sword (for the increased charge damage and improved critical attack rolls). Feats: Weapon Focus: Longspear, Mounted Combat. Charisma ->16
5. Feats: Spirited Charge, Power Attack
6. -
7. Feats: Cleave
8. Feats: Improved Critical (Longspear). Strength ->19
9. Feats: Critical Focus
10. Feats: Indomitable Mount
11. Feats Great Cleave, Cleaving Finish
12. Strength ->20
13. Feats: Staggering Critical
14. Feats: Improved Cleaving Finish
15. Feats: Outflank
16. Strength ->21
17. Feats: Mounted Shield, Shield Wall (main tank will also grab it)
18. -
19. Feats: Armor Focus: Heavy
20. Feats: One of Toughness/Shake It Off/Missile Shield/Improved Initiative. Strength ->22

Thoughts?

Outflank looks very late to me. Would personally try to pick it up as early as possible on every melee warrior, even if it means delaying other things.

Also, by getting improved cleaving finish at level 14 I don't think you're going to get all that much use out of it.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Outflank looks very late to me. Would personally try to pick it up as early as possible on every melee warrior, even if it means delaying other things.

Also, by getting improved cleaving finish at level 14 I don't think you're going to get all that much use out of it.

Thanks, edited the original post. How does it look like right now? Spirited Charge is a bit late, but Improved Cleaving Finish is now at level 9. Defensives all come later.

Mortmal

Arcane

Thanks, edited the original post. How does it look like right now? Spirited Charge is a bit late, but Improved Cleaving Finish is now at level 9. Defensives all come later.
Cavalier is cool on the paper , but your main advantages and bonus are on charge , while you could have constantly the same bonus with a mutation warrior for exemple . Most often line of sight for charge is blocked , it triggers attack of opportunities, looking cool and all but not efficient .

Sharpedge

Prophet
Here is my character build from my current solo run, on solo hard. Keep in mind, its possible to make a much better character for party play, so if you are planning to play in a group, don't copy this. I am also not convinced that some of the choices I made are good for a solo character either, but hey, I made them for the memes and the character has worked out well.

Race: Angelkin Aasimar
Strength: 18
Dexterity: 7
Constitution: 9
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 20
On the road to 20 I put 4 points into Strength and 1 point into Constitution.
Alignment: Lawful Good.
Class 1: Oracle 15.
Class 2: Sacred Fist Monk 2.
Class 3: Paladin 2.
Class 4: Loremaster 1.
Feats taken on level up (In no particular order): Weapon Focus Quarterstaff, Power Attack, Cleave, Cleaving Finish, Great Cleave, Improved Cleaving Finish, Skill Focus Trickery, Enduring Spell, Boon Companion, Wings.
Feats taken from Monk: Crane Style, Improved Initiative.
Feats taken from Loremaster: Greater Weapon Focus (this was a meme choice, its obviously not worth a level dip for this).
Oracle Revelations, in order: Animal Companion (I picked wolf, but I think horse is probably better), Nature's Whispers, Ice Armour, Fluid Nature, Icy Skin.
Oracle Mystery: Nature.
Oracle Mystery 2: Waves (From Mythic Feats).
Oracle Curse 1: Lame.
Oracle Curse 2: Powerless Prophecy (Take this from the mythic feat only, its important because the downside is super bad otherwise).
Skills: Max Trickery and Perception and put 3 points into mobility, the rest spread between Persuasion, Use Magic Device and Religion.
And here are some pictures of the finished Character, including the mythic feats. The "unallocated" feat was taking Oracle Curse 2.
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png
Quick Summary of Advantages/Disadvantages:
+ Has 92 AC in Combat (some of the conditionals are not shown on the character sheet).
+ Can clear entire zones without resting.
+ Has a lot of immunities. Fire, Ice, Negative Energy and potentially Acid if you use the cloak for it. Almost all negative statuses (nauseated etc).
+ Has really high saves for anything which it is not immune to.
+ From A5 onwards, most of your spells are quickened.
+ Most of your attacks are made at full AB and you have a high enough AB to hit most enemies in the game, even on unfair.
+ For the very few enemies which you cannot hit reliably, you have the angel nuke spells like Bolt of Justice. Since you are not casting spells frequently, you will have them available often enough to use them in these circumstances.
+ The character has an animal companion, which allows for mounted combat and makes many fights much easier.
- There is a bug which is affecting this build currently where it will just randomly stop using its basic attacks. The character will still have a full round of actions and will still perform actions like move or cast a full round spell, but for 2-3 rounds it will just refuse to attack with abilities. The bug starts occurring when you get the angelic halo upgrades, so I suspect that it has something to do with that. I think you would be able to solo from A3 onwards on unfair with this character, I was able to up until this bug started occurring and then I had to lower the difficulty to hard as a result of it.
- Obviously a lot of the multiclassing is silly.
- The character is designed for solo, not group play.

My thoughts on stuff I would improve if I would ever try this character again.
1. Get rid of the Loremaster meme level, get rid of the paladin levels, go 19 oracle 1 monk level. The paladin level was nice for smite evil on the occasional boss fight, but the saves you can get just from the oracle spell so it isn't really worth taking.
2. Take a horse instead of a Wolf. Horses are faster than wolves.
3. Potentially try an armoured version of this, without the monk level at all. It would have slightly lower AC and would be built completely differently, but should offer a fun alternative.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

3. Gendarme until the end (build is quite feat starved). Order of the Sword (for the increased charge damage and improved critical attack rolls). Feats: Weapon Focus: Longspear, Power Attack. Charisma ->16
5. Feats: Outflank, Cleave
6. -
7. Feats: Cleaving Finish
8. Feats: Great Cleave. Strength ->19
9. Feats: Improved Cleaving Finish
10. Feats: Mounted Combat
11. Feats Spirited Charge, Improved Critical: Longspear
12. Strength ->20
13. Feats: Critical Focus
14. Feats: Staggering Critical
15. Feats: Indomitable Mount
16. Strength ->21
17. Feats: Mounted Shield, Armor Focus: Heavy
18. -
19. Feats: Shield Wall
20. Feats: Shake It Off. Strength ->22

Thoughts?

Just take fauchard or glaive instead of longspear. Longspear progression is not good enough.

You don't need to tank because while mounted your horse will take all the beating (unless aoe spells) So no need to take shield or armor feats. You can try shield bash instead with a scimitar or long sword (for holy avenger )too but that'll mean goodbye to cleaving line. But that kind of build is better with pounce.

For mount you can go either barding route or trip troute. Either way don't forget to raise its INT 3 at level 4 for better feat selection. Also I think both you and the mount need mounted combat and indominatable feats to work. Mine never worked...

Edit: My first MC is a Mad Dog 12/Gendarme 8. Mad dog for juicy pounce with greater beast totem at 12. Used scimitar with shield for shield bash. When raging I killed enemies in one charge and if its a crit (400+ damage) most of the attacks go waste if there are no enemies nearby :D 6 attacks normally but with crits come free shield bashes.

After level 7 I never get off from my mount, only to mount Aivu sometimes (she gets huge HP pool and faster than other mounts) Really fun build.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
For anyone curious, I decided to throw together that Armoured Angel Oracle build for the fun of it, just to see what it looks like. Its designed for solo play, but it should be able to slot quite nicely into a group, with a couple of changes (which I will detail below).
The Build Itself:
mWOCJQ8.png

jzIRE2g.png

Enemies Trying to hit you:
AwcKjZt.png

sXtJYgF.png

You hitting enemies:
o2wLQoK.png
This build should work on hard-unfair just fine. Starting Attributes are:

1. 18 Strength
2. 9 Dexterity
3. 10 Constitution
4. 14 Intelligence
5. 8 Wisdom
6. 19 Charisma.

On the road to 20, 1 point was put into Charisma and 4 points into Strength.

For skill points, the only investment which has a numerical impact on the performance of the build is 3 points into mobility, if you are using fight defensively. Other than that, I distributed my points between Perception, Trickery, Lore Religion and Use Magic Device.

This build takes the Battle Mystery and then Waves later on, when you get the mythic feat for a 2nd mystery. The Revelations it takes, in the order I took them in are Skill at Arms, Weapon Mastery, War Sight, Fluid Nature, Icy Skin and Battlecry. Its important to note that these Revelations give you a lot of feats and you do not want to take any of these feats on level up, otherwise the points are wasted. Feats provided by the Revelations are Martial Weapons Proficiency, Heavy Armour Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Greater Weapon Focus, Uncanny Dodge and Dodge.

The reason the build takes extend spells is to combo with Enduring Spells and Greater Enduring Spells, allowing you to extend 1 round/level spells to 24h duration. Mythic Dodge is not a good feat, I only allocated it as a solo character runs out of good options to invest in quickly. For party play, allocate something else, for example Leading Strike.

Anyhow, in a group I would make the following changes.
Swap out Mythic Dodge with Leading Strike. Drop the Wings feat for something else, you do not need that bonus in a party. Potentially grab the Sword of Heaven buff that shares the sword with party members, instead of the Everlasting Flame. Lower the character's intelligence score and use the points to balance out the dex and wisdom.

As far as the gear choices, I went with weapon focus in longswords because there are so many of them. In combat you can swap between using power attack and fight defensively as needed, depending on the circumstances of the fight.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The fact that magical vestment doubles up on magical armours/shields is so cheesy. I should start using them. LMAO

Sharpedge

Prophet
Brothers, I'd appreciate some advice if you please.
My current MC as it is during ch4:
Nothing special. Straight Reformed Fiend, Tiefling (mandatory for the class), abyssal heritage for the tiefling, abyssal bloodline for the class (can only pick between infernal and abyssal for the class).
This is how it looks right now, without buffs, power attack is toggled on:

Pretty straight forward, Weapon Focus Scimitar, Improve Initative, Outflank, Vital Strike, Improved Critical Scimitar, Improved Vital Strike, Cleaving Finish and Shake it off. Power Attack and Cleave from the bloodline feats.
As for mythic:

Azata path, Limitless Rage, Last Stand, Second Bloodline Infernal (this is definitely stupid, got a few feats out of it, but I just took it for larp), Mythic Power Attack and Mythic Vital Strike. Incredible Might for Superpower.
Probably stupid build, but it worked very well so far, I really can't complain. Thing is, I'm rethinking relying on vital strike. Reasoning is as follows: Incredbile Might is +5 attack bonus and damage and scales at 1 per mythic level so I should be at +7 at the end of ch.4 so why not try instead of one big attack to go for multiple ones per round so something like this:

Basically weapon focus in scimitars and rapiers, improved critical for both, two weapon fighting, outflank. Required a bit of stat redistribution compared to the first build as I started with just 14 dex and needed 15 on this one.

For mythic it's basically the same thing just mythic two weapon fighting instead of mythic vital strike.
Tbh, I just respecd to see how it would look like, I haven't tried it out and I feel weird and think I would regret abandoning the first build.

In any case, even with the first version, I'm sure I did a lot of it wrong, so please bring in the criticism.
I haven't messed around enough with Bloodrager to be able to comment on specifics, so I can only give some general commentary. The advantage of Vital Strike is that its made at full AB and if you have a few attacks per round, its probably an upgrade over making a few attacks at decreasing AB. What you need to keep in mind is that if you switch from Vital Strike to a TWF build, whilst you will do a more consistent stream of damage, you will be much more heavily penalized by enemy DR. In general I feel unless you have sneak attack dice or a lot of weapon buffs that add additional hit die per hit, its probably not worth going with a TWF setup, so its likely you don't want to switch it up.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Here is my character build from my current solo run, on solo hard. Keep in mind, its possible to make a much better character for party play, so if you are planning to play in a group, don't copy this. I am also not convinced that some of the choices I made are good for a solo character either, but hey, I made them for the memes and the character has worked out well.

Thanks for posting these - really informative (I'm doing an Angel run myself, but going pure class Paladin, a bit suboptimal but I thought it would be fun).

Question - how did you get 38 and 42 STR on these characters? I ask because I have roughly the same gear and am capping out at 30/34 depending on set-up, even with the +2 inherent bonus

Is it from Nocticula's Profane Gift?

Sharpedge

Prophet

Thanks for posting these - really informative (I'm doing an Angel run myself, but going pure class Paladin, a bit suboptimal but I thought it would be fun).

Question - how did you get 38 and 42 STR on these characters? I ask because I have roughly the same gear and am capping out at 30/34 depending on set-up, even with the +2 inherent bonus

No, it isn't. I feel like accepting that particular stat buff goes against the "RP" side of such a build and as of such I refused it, so you could go higher with them.

9IeIGYS.png

TD8w6v1.png

Those buffs last 24h due to Enduring Spells, so you will have them up all the time.

Last edited:

CodexTotalWar

Learned

No, it isn't. I feel like accepting that particular stat buff goes against the "RP" side of such a build and as of such I refused it, so you could go higher with them.

9IeIGYS.png

TD8w6v1.png

Those buffs last 24h due to Enduring Spells, so you will have them up all the time.

Thanks man. Yeah, I refused that stat buff too in my current Angel run (just didn't make sense for her character). I completely derped and forgot about Frightful Aspect or Legendary Proportions - but yeah, it all makes sense.

Rolled a human mutagen warrior.
18+2 dex
14 con
10 wis
12+2 cha.
10 int
12 str
backgrund: pickpocket for +2 initiative.

Larping Chaotic Neutral GORRUM follower

starting feats: point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot. before getting a throwing axe he was sissy crossbowman then one axe with a shield. maze was over and woke up after a blind bitch screws me over. not reading any shit cause owlcat paizo faggotry there. basically plan twf and ranged feat hurling machine. 4+3 from twf+1 rapid shot+1 haste per full attack.

tabletop tweaks mod has n advanced weapon training feature which allows you to get warpriest scaling with a single weapon. so should be deadly damage dealer relying on drugs and throwing up in late game.

was thinking of legend, get arcane enforcer or archeolgist etc.

Last edited:
ranged feat hurling machine

There are especially nice shruikens in game also javelins. Javelin throw animation is fun with a lot of attacks .
Can't find shurikens with Toybox, whereas there are like 15+ throwing axes.
Javelins aren't light (and neither are darts surprisingly...) so TWF with them has more penalties

Anyways here is the test build. Mods used: TOybox (for levelup and equips), Tabletop tweaks (has some options for Advanced Weapon Training and bloodrager bloodlines)

Started with half-orc human raised (for +2 skill points/level) and 7 str/18+2dex/14 con/14 int/10 wis/12 cha, pickpocket background, feats point blank shot and precise shot.

Ended with this
MgOBV0R.png

y1qvSJl.png

LHwkbii.png

5jJJSDv.png

s5nQLJO.png

lD0jL28.png

MYnOtax.png

H5tySew.png

Attacks are 4 (BAB)+1 haste +1 Rapidshot = 6 in MH and 3 Greater TWF in OFfhand for total of 9 attacks per round at 30 feet range.
The Temp HP is False life greater + Bloodrage bonus.
Equips: +8 perfection belt and hat, +8 bracers of armor, +6 natural Armor Necklace, +6 ring of deflection, +6 cloak of resistance and +5 throwing axe (eye gouger) in MH and +4 throwing axe (nordic welcome) in offhand.
Note that the stats are with self-buff, mutagen, said equips, bloodrage and grand mutagen. if you add a Bard, a skald with lethal stance, a Judge, a brown fur transmuter etc... these stats will become even more hilarious

Bloodrager bloodlines (Destined and Aberrant) chosen for immunity to as many statuses and always active blindsight, critical hit / sneak attack immunity etc. Not to mention that Destined gives +5 luck bonus to AC and saves.
No Primalist bloodline to rage power swap was doen as I think the immunities are better. (and u can get a skald to give you totems/stances)
Mythic abilities are Endless rage @ lvl1 and Extra mythic ability:Second Bloodrager Bloodline - Aberrant bloodline

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok came up with this mostruosity.

Aasimar Angelkin (any lawful)

STR 19 > 24
DEX 16
CON 10
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 14

Slayer 10/Vivisectionist 3/thug 1/sorcerer cross blooded 1 (bloodline whatever dragon + whatever elemental)/Scaled fist 1/Dragon disciple 4

The idea is to start with the demon mythic ability and then go trickster two weapon fighter, get all the critical improvement on a light weapon (kukri? sai?) and leverage bloodline ascendant elemental to get immunity to critical and sneak attacks and archmage armor.

It ends with 16 BAB, but yeah at level 20, so it is still possible to get the fourth basic attack, has bite from DD, feral mutagen and demon ability.

It is completely feat starved so lot of mythic feats will be used to get "regular ones".

As trickester goes, rush knowledge arcana and perception, and then "Reuse Magic Device" to be able to use the mediocre and rare monk robes in the game (that are locked by alignment, as trickster you cannot be lawful). Doesn't work. Don't know if intended or bug, so what remains is the Persuasion tree.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
Ray the Improver
Elemental Specialist 5/Eldritch Knight 5/Arcane trickster 10
Elf (for Elven Magic and + Dex, Int)

(as many odd stats as possible to benefit from trickster +1 to belts and headbands via arcana trick 1)
STR 7
DEX 17
CON 13
INT 20 (+5)
WIS 7
CHA 12

Skills: Mobility, Trickery, Knowledge: Arcana, Perception, Use Magic Device (+ Stealth)

Level 1-5 Elementalist Wizard (cold), 6-10 Eldritch Knight (needed to get BAB for Imp Crit at 15), 11-20 Arcane Trickster

1 Spell Focus (Evocation). Gt Spell Focus (Evocation)
3 Spell Penetration
5 Martial Weapon Proficiency. Gt Spell Penetration
6 Point Blank Shot (Eldritch Knight Bonus)
7 Elemental Focus: Cold
9 Gt Elemental Focus Cold
10 Precise Shot (Eldritch Knight Bonus)
11 Empower Spell*
13 Completely Normal Spell**
15 Improved Critical: Ray
17 Improved Improved Critical: Ray
19 Improved Improved Improved Critical: Ray***

* Optional feat. You might want something else instead.

** You should be able to get Completely Normal Spell at level 11 if you hold off leveling up until after you get to mythic rank 4.

Mythic Abilities:
Bit of Fun
1 Ascendant Element: Lightni... no, it's Cold, obviously.
3 Enduring Spells
5 Gt. Enduring Spells
7 Rupture Restraints
9 Abundant Casting^

^ would prefer something else but not sure what to go for that offers as much value, especially when you get to the end game

Mythic Feats:
2 School Mastery: Evocation
4 Mythic Spell Penetration
6 Mythic Spell Focus: Evocation
8 Mythic Crit: Ray
9 Feat: Improved Improved Improved Crit Improved: Ray***

*** These might end up the other way around depending upon when you get level ups.

Trickster
3 Knowledge: Arcana Trick (1)
4 Perception Trick (1,2)
5 Trickery Trick (1)
6 UMD Trick (1,2)
7 Knowledge: World Trick (1), UMD Trick (3)
8 Stealth Trick (1), Knowledge: World Trick (2)
9 Mobility Trick (1), Trickery Trick (2)
10 Knowledge: World Trick (1), Trickery Trick (3)

1st wizard spell book: Caster level 19 (+1 for Evocation), second wizard spell book caster level 20 (+1 for Evocation).

Rays should crit on 1, 15-20 at x4

Delterius Meredoth any suggestions for improved improved improved improvement improved?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ray the Improver
Elemental Specialist 5/Eldritch Knight 5/Arcane trickster 10
Elf (for Elven Magic and + Dex, Int)

(as many odd stats as possible to benefit from trickster +1 to belts and headbands via arcana trick 1)
STR 7
DEX 17
CON 13
INT 20 (+5)
WIS 7
CHA 12

Skills: Mobility, Trickery, Knowledge: Arcana, Perception, Use Magic Device (+ Stealth)

Level 1-5 Elementalist Wizard (cold), 6-10 Eldritch Knight (needed to get BAB for Imp Crit at 15), 11-20 Arcane Trickster

1 Spell Focus (Evocation). Gt Spell Focus (Evocation)
3 Spell Penetration
5 Martial Weapon Proficiency. Gt Spell Penetration
6 Point Blank Shot (Eldritch Knight Bonus)
7 Elemental Focus: Cold
9 Gt Elemental Focus Cold
10 Precise Shot (Eldritch Knight Bonus)
11 Empower Spell*
13 Completely Normal Spell**
15 Improved Critical: Ray
17 Improved Improved Critical: Ray
19 Improved Improved Improved Critical: Ray***

* Optional feat. You might want something else instead.

** You should be able to get Completely Normal Spell at level 11 if you hold off leveling up until after you get to mythic rank 4.

Mythic Abilities:
Bit of Fun
1 Ascendant Element: Lightni... no, it's Cold, obviously.
3 Enduring Spells
5 Gt. Enduring Spells
7 Rupture Restraints
9 Abundant Casting^

^ would prefer something else but not sure what to go for that offers as much value, especially when you get to the end game

Mythic Feats:
2 School Mastery: Evocation
4 Mythic Spell Penetration
6 Mythic Spell Focus: Evocation
8 Mythic Crit: Ray
9 Feat: Improved Improved Improved Crit Improved: Ray***

*** These might end up the other way around depending upon when you get level ups.

Trickster
3 Knowledge: Arcana Trick (1)
4 Perception Trick (1,2)
5 Trickery Trick (1)
6 UMD Trick (1,2)
7 Knowledge: World Trick (1), UMD Trick (3)
8 Stealth Trick (1), Knowledge: World Trick (2)
9 Mobility Trick (1), Trickery Trick (2)
10 Knowledge: World Trick (1), Trickery Trick (3)

1st wizard spell book: Caster level 19 (+1 for Evocation), second wizard spell book caster level 20 (+1 for Evocation).

Rays should crit on 1, 15-20 at x4

Delterius Meredoth any suggestions for improved improved improved improvement improved?

Amazing. How much damage does the Polar Ray + Maximized metamagic can dish with that build on a critical?

Stoned Ape

Savant
It would be 504 + a huge bucket of sneak attack dice (I don't think they get maximized) + 16 dex damage.

Went for empowered spell because it feels more random and trickster-y to me.

Delterius

Arcane
I wouldn't pick precise shot feats. They are great early on, but scale badly over time. And since you aren't planning on being AT early on you'll play like a normal wizard with CC DC spells for a while. Remember that you'll be able to cast true strike as a cantrip. The things I consider in these builds is a) does it make more sense to go for EK spell critical rather than AT surprise spells and b) does it make sense to ignore AT or EK altogether to grab 3 feats via Loremaster 5? But you don't really need to change anything tbh. It's good to go.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
DC sorcerer azata (ongoing playthrough on hard- now beginning act 5) : Goal was to make a crowd control/Save or suck arcane caster that has an answer to most things in game. I do not take ray feats because I don't like rays - I want to be a caster not a fire arrow dispenser.

Race : Half-elf Kindred Raised (+4 Starting CHA)
Class : Sorcerer - Arcane Bloodline - Hare Familiar (+4 Initiative)
Background : Pickpocket (+2 Initiative)
Mythic : Azata
STR 7/DEX 15(+1 at lvl 20)/CON 10/ INT 14/WIS 10/CHA 22(+4 on level ups)

Feats :
Sorcerer20 or Sorc 18-Alch2(cognatogen)
1: Spell focus conjuration ; Greater spell focus conjuration
3: Metamagic : selective spell
5: Elven spirit
7: Metamagic heighten spell ; Spell penetration
9: Spell focus : Evocation;
11: Metamagic persistent spell (I delay this quite a lot due to the hefty 2 SL cost, I picked it then because it's at this level I could persistent some really impactful spells)
13: Greater spell focus evocation; Improved initiative
15: Spell focus : Abjuration
17: Spell specialization: Dispell magic, greater
19: 2 free feats can take more focus, or more spell pen (Although azata really doesn't need it)

Mythic:
1: Abundant casting
2: Expanded arsenal: illusion
3: Improved abundant casting
4: Favorable Magic (azata) - mythic spell focus : conjuration
5: Greater abundant casting
6: Life bonding friendship > allied spellcaster (azata); Expanded Arsenal : Transmutation
-----Most of the game has been played there -----
7: Rupture Restraint or Last stand or Ascended Elements (electricity for stormbolt of fire for sirroco) or Second bloodline : Fey or Undead
8: Zippy magic (azata); Mythic Improved initiative
9: Rupture Restraint or Last stand or Ascended Elements (electricity for stormbolt of fire for sirroco) or Second bloodline : Fey or Undead
10: Mythic Spell Focus : Evocation

Spell priority:
1: Grease, mage armor, expeditious retreat
2: Glitterdust, Web, mirror image, Hideous laughter
3: Slow, Haste, Stinking Cloud (only good against gargoyles so pick it early-ish if you must), Greater magic weapon
4: Phantasmal Killer, Shout
5: Phantasmal Web, Baleful Polymorph, Dismissal
6: Phantasmal putrefaction, Chains of Light(can be obtained from an item), Sirocco, Dispell Magic : Greater
7: Ki Shout, 7 is kind of a sucky level for this build, pick defensive buffs or whatever your party needs
8: StormBolts (can be obtained from an item), Seamantle, Protection from Spells
9: Weird, Tsunami

Azata spells of note : Ode to miraculous magic (M4, +4 spell pen to all party members and +2 Will save DC -the latter part is bugged and doesn't work), Believe in yourself (+1 morale to a stat / 4 Mythic rank - should be 4 azata caster level but it is borked), Song of Steel (+2 DC, rounds/lvl)

Gear: +DC/+spell pen gear/+cha head/+dex belt, pretty standard, a lot of it can be bought of vendors. Quicken rods, Reach rods. For the party there is an insane shield at the end of A4 that gives of a permanent aura of +2 DC to mind affecting spells.

Notes :
- Conjuration package early game (stays relevant all game long), transition to illusion midgame (the school really shines in wrath midgame imo), and adds transmutation later for more balefull polymorph DC for hard CC of big enemies that are immune to both phantasmal killer(Fear, Mind), Chains of light (Paralysis, Good), and Prone.
- Some sorcerer subclass are bugged and cannot pick second bloodline : if it wasn't the case I would probably go Sylvan on this one and delay Greater abundant casting for second bloodline : arcane at mythic 5 - for more early game power.
- Didn't know about the expanded arsenal bug until i got to level 12 ish, and tbh you can't really avoid it if going pure DC caster since you're going to pick a lot of Spell focus. Still I don't believe this build takes that much advantage from it, at least for the meatiest part of the game, 2-3 DC on transmutation and illusion spells. Which is big but not too big. If you want to funnel everything into one school to abuse the bug, pick multiple mythic spell focus earlier.
- Initiative is so important if you play turn-based since you can't really kite, having your caster go first will help protect your party a ton
- Would probably find a way to fit sorcerous reflexes as an early mythic feat, casters are starved when it comes to mythic feats. At act 4 it loses a bit of its luster because you get access to 2x quicken rods and another one at drezen before act 5 starts, but early game it's insane. Phantasmal putrefaction > Slow is a great crowd control combo with quicken ; The initial effect of putrefaction helps slow to land and the Slow will make sure enemies won't do too much damage before the second part of putrefaction triggers and they go to sleep. Illusion DC is not so hard to stack since a ton of items support it.
- Wanted to use enchantment more, but I really dislike enchantment spell selection for full arcane casters and they slightly overlap with illusion when it comes to immunities, so I picked evocation (for stuns) and transmutation (for baleful polymorph and slow).
- Dismissal (abjuration) is a nice tool to pick up even without focus. It's a finicky spell but makes some encounter trivial. Basically Save or die for anything not in its rightfull plane. So all demons in act 2-3-5. Also crystal aberration and undead in the abyss in A4 are affected. It targets only will save and has no descriptors so no otherwise immunities.
- Might end up dipping alchemist 2 for my last two level to get cognatogen at 20 since I don't really see much use for other lvl 9 spell slots that my party won't be covering.
- So far I have encountered very little mind-affecting immune enemies : I just started act 5(lvl 18 mythic 8 - party of 6). I haven't picked up a second bloodline because : most bloodline spell suck, I don't need compulsion DC or spell pen from fey and Undead have been pretty weak so far (and not so numerous) so i didn't feel the need to pick undead bloodline. The most dangerous undead enemies can be greased(undead giants) or can be ignored as long you have death ward up (ghosts).
-Really likes having a good party to help him pierce through saves of tough enemies. Dispell magic, can strip a lot of immunities and saving throw buffs from a mob (mind blank, owl's, cat's, bear's, heroism) : a witch for evil eye, a ranger or slayer for the sickening quarry gloves, an intimidator/Dirge of doom for shaken, and my favorite for tough enemies, a cleric with madness domain for touch of madness (-1/2 cleric levels to saves and attack rolls !!!!). For the latter you need to gear and build him for touch attacks and spell pen. Domain zealot combined with other domain to help him hit his touch attack roll. Sosiel works fine in this role, but a merc will obviously be better.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom