Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Saduj

Arcane

Repeating the same disproven lie over and over isn’t going to work. I did not say or infer what you’re trying to assign me. Let me clear the language barrier: Fuck off with that bullshit.

Whether or not there are barriers to you putting up a website, someone else’s website is theirs and not yours and you have no rights to what is theirs.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Repeating the same disproven lie over and over isn’t going to work. I did not say or infer what you’re trying to assign me. Let me clear the language barrier: Fuck off with that bullshit.

Whether or not there are barriers to you putting up a website, someone else’s website is theirs and not yours and you have no rights to what is theirs.

Oh I understand. If a person makes their own website, they get to set their own rules.

Thank you for joining the conversation and contributing your bit of wisdom.

Saduj

Arcane

Oh I understand. If a person makes their own website, they get to set their own rules.

Thank you for joining the conversation and contributing your bit of wisdom.

Well every time the reality of this is demonstrated here, you get dozens of total morons queefing on and on about freedom of speech, trying to play rules lawyer, etc.

So while this may be obvious among brighter populations, it can’t reasonably be argued that everyone here finds it obvious.

Edit: and what did your dishonest replies contribute?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The difference is that you're talking about profiling users and collecting their dox for potential blackmail.

The RPGWatch rules are more open about their censorship. Whereas you are just creating a hitlist and keeping it all behind the scenes.

It's not blackmail. It's "if you're willing to risk legal problems for the site owner, you have to be held accountable for that if something you say gets him in trouble." If that's unacceptable, go find somewhere else where no one can hold you accountable for what you say.

Codex Year of the Donut
The difference is that you're talking about profiling users and collecting their dox for potential blackmail.

The RPGWatch rules are more open about their censorship. Whereas you are just creating a hitlist and keeping it all behind the scenes.

It's not blackmail. It's "if you're willing to risk legal problems for the site owner, you have to be held accountable for that if something you say gets him in trouble." If that's unacceptable, go find somewhere else where no one can hold you accountable for what you say.
DU would be held responsible for our dumb comments though, which is the purpose of this thread.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

But possessing real names of Potatos who break Aussie censorship laws will in no way save DU from being presecuted.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It's not blackmail. It's "if you're willing to risk legal problems for the site owner, you have to be held accountable for that if something you say gets him in trouble."
How is Australia going to hold me accountable when I don't even live there? As rusty_shackleford said, it's DU that would be liable, not us. Your "solution" only works if you blackmail people.

Btw, what's to stop them from providing you with a fake passport? I have fake credit cards. I can order a fake passport relatively cheaply. Are you going to match them with an online database? Which one? At what cost?
If that's unacceptable, go find somewhere else where no one can hold you accountable for what you say.
And people will. It will kill the site except for you and whatever friends of yours want to inhabit its hollowed shell. Which is probably the result you're hoping for anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DU would be held responsible for our dumb comments though, which is the purpose of this thread.

But possessing real names of Potatos who break Aussie censorship laws will in no way save DU from being presecuted.

I was trying to avoid the encouragement of bans but if DU has no means of recourse against the people getting him in trouble, then modify the last part of the suggestion to "If they don't like it and don't want to change, goodbye."

fork

The Racial Discrimination Act 1975 forbids hate speech on several grounds. The Act makes it "unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person, or of some or all of the people in the group."[1] An aggrieved person can lodge a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission. If the complaint is validated, the Commission will attempt to conciliate the matter. If the Commission cannot negotiate an agreement which is acceptable to the complainant, the complainant's only redress is through the Federal Court or through the Federal Circuit Court.
I'm very curious how the Commission "validates" the cases of open racism towards white people?

You're a couple years late.
There's no such thing as racism against white people.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I was trying to avoid the encouragement of bans but if DU has no means of recourse against the people getting him in trouble, then modify the last part of the suggestion to "If they don't like it and don't want to change, goodbye."

Don't try to control that which you can't control.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You're sure? The G*rmans seem to be quite vocal.
Sure,but at least you could have a decent conversations with them. They don't screech "Hurrrr nazi,hurrrr communits" every time you have different opinion. Also you could talk about good games like gothic 2 with them.

Fanta is a major SJW. He just likes to sperg about American exceptionalism all the time. Rent free!
Hmmmm you got me there freeboy. Glory to comrade Xi and his glorious army led by rocket Kim. :smug:

What’s the reputation of RPGCodex again?
:nocountryforshitposters:
That is not gothic 3,where you collect 5 herbs and get +5 reputation in the village.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

So both your solutions boil down to strict moderation, then? Gotcha.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
techno-fascism
:hmmm:
Nigga learn the meaning of words. Fascism is not a word you just use for whateva you dislike lol. The moment i read that stupidity made the rest of your argument irrelevant. Clearly you are stupid enough to not be able to use words with their correct meaning and formulate a meaningful sentence.

Alex

Arcane
You have no actual response, so you post a meme.

Come on, dude, you are the one claiming Galileo said the earth is round...

At any rate, considering what you probably wanted to say, this is hardly an argument for freeze peach. Galileo claimed the earth orbited around the sun. Once he arrived to this, he was explicitly told to not teach this until the matter was settled between the astronomers and theologians that were trying to assess whether remarks on the bible about this not being the case were meant to be taken literally or not. He initially agreed to that but started teaching what he believed anyway because he believed he would be above Church authority. He was wrong.

But even if that wasn't the case, even if this was a real example of abuse of authority; that would still be all that it was, an abuse. That authority may be abused is not in itself enough evidence to show that it must never be wielded.

What do I care about what protestants did? I keep telling you, I am talking about real blasphemy.
Like praying to the dead and worshiping idols? Oops.

Nope, saying dumb things such as that God created us to suffer or that He is wrong is blasphemy. Worshipping idols is wrong but it isn't blasphemy in itself. Praying for the dead to intercede for us on the other hand is a salvific practice, as long as you don't literally worship them as if they were on the same level as God.

Except they won't because you aren't in charge. That's the part you're missing.

It's more likely that YOU will be put in jail for disagreeing with them the way things are going. But keep advocating censorship. See where it gets you.

Let's consider this here. Why exactly aren't you complaining that people are put in jail at all then? Similar to the idea of freedom of speech is the idea of freedom of movement; the notion that people should be able to go where they want without restrictions from the government. Unlike freedom of speech, though, people are much more willing to let this one slide since doing otherwise would obviously destroy society. People shouldn't be able to go into private property of another ust because they want, obviously, otherwise the very idea of private property is lost. Likewise, saying the government shouldn't ever restrict the freedom of movement of someone would quickly result in a lot of dangerous people in the streets.

But I think this is a very telling example. Why exactly should the government be allowed to wield authority to stop someone from going somewhere, but not the authority to stop someone from saying something? One argument is that one's thoughts and words are more important than where one can go; but I think this works better as an argument for the opposite side. It is exactly because these things are so important that they should be subject to authority. In fact, I would say that many of the errors of our current times are direct result of not having enough control over this.

Another argument is that the exceptions to the freedom of movement (and to freedom of speech) are given exactly because they are needed to keep these freedoms from being misused. But in that case, freedom of (insert your favourite) is not a value, it is not something good in itself; but rather a means to an end, which would be good. But if that is the case, you can't really use "freedom of whatever" to justify anything. In that case, the object for which you want freedom must still be justified in the view of what is good and what isn't; and that is the opposite position of liberalism.

So, my point is, sure, authority can be misused. It is entirely possible that in the coming years I might be persecuted for being a Christian, for instance. But that in itself is not proof that authority shouldn't exist; only that it should be wielded by good people, not evil ones.
Still not an argument.

I really don't know if you are being serious. The so called "liberals" are now restricting people from saying hate speech and whatnot and are the reason this thread was started in first place; while the so called conservatives mostly want to conserve the "honoured tradition" that came after the french revolution. Which world do you live in?

Authority exists to be used for what is good. Refusing to do so is just letting people use the same for evil.
There's a difference between letting someone say something and letting someone do something, even in the fantasy world where people get thrown in jail for blasphemy, which hasn't existed in your lifetime or mine.

Saying something is doing something. And frequently it is the worst kind of thing you could do. Also, again, which world do you live in? Do you really think people aren't thrown in jail for saying stuff nowadays?

People used to understand this. Then again, people used to be able to talk without posting a meme and thinking they've won the argument.
:nocountryforshitposters:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
techno-fascism
:hmmm:
Nigga learn the meaning of words. Fascism is not a word you just use for whateva you dislike lol. The moment i read that stupidity made the rest of your argument irrelevant. Clearly you are stupid enough to not be able to use words with their correct meaning and formulate a meaningful sentence.
I was thinking this but didn't want to take the time to say it. I think corporatism or crony capitalism would be more fitting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom