Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

0wca

Learned
Do I seriously have to wait for CS to release to play a good RPG? I wait for releases for years and, one after another, they keep turning out to be shit. The itemization is fucking horrid, running from container to container, finding miniscule amounts of worthless junk is incredibly frustrating and detracts from what could otherwise be moderately enjoyable, whoever thought it would be fun to have every insignificant scrub be named because, I dunno, it would make it easier to navigate massive maps and find actually entertaining content should be strung up, combat is easy as shit, intriguing set up for a story fizzles out into menial fetch quests.
:rpgcodex:

If CS doesn't deliver then I'm officially done with RPG:s.
CS is head and shoulders above this or ATOM TG already so don't worry.
Pretty much on the same level as encased and atom. Don't be a tryhard shitlord.
They're simply not. Encased is the embodiment of "wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" while CS is basically the opposite. TG is another case, I'll write my impressions later but it's much closer to Encased in that comparison.

Also you don't seem to care about mechanics and difficulty in RPGs so I guess they're on the same level to you. To me, Encased and TG are so piss easy to the point it's not clear why even bother with all that combat elements. While CS is a proper RPG where you have to pay attention in order to play, to PLAY it, to play with its mechanics.
Sooo fags,what is your argument for fallout being better? Outside of retarded nostalgia.
Let's see...

- lack of retarded survival system no one has asked for
- a charismatic villain and two decent (by local standarts) end-game dungeons vs no boss and tiny pathetic dungeon
- a decent loot system vs Encased's insanity
- consistency, a clear vision behind it

Agreed. This game definitely has some interesting things it does right but it's boring as shit. Played for 10 hours and I almost snoozed through all of it.
  • Bland NPCs
  • Generic world / stalker anomaly ripoff,
  • R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D. stealth system (crouching IN PLAIN SIGHT AND IN BRIGHT LIGHT in front of dude - doesn't give a shit) - why can't these fucking RPGs ever make a good stealth system?
  • Stupid voiced narrator (I can read those two lines myself motherfucker, focus on getting more interesting voice actors)
  • C&C pretty limited to just some minor things though to be fair there might be more later on
The good stuff:
  • Quite a few different conditions (you even get them by washing your hands and using a hand dryer lol)
  • Ability to make almost any build you want
  • Multiple ways of opening containers (not just lockpicking) and perception (or whatever it's called) reveals secrets and alternate paths

So it definitely did a few things right, but fuck me it's boring.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The same people who got the billboards with libtard slogans in it about equality wrote that thing, so, I dunno what is going on with those ruskies.

I think they just did all woke shit to get some defence.
I noticed how they don't follow the rule "real woman+poc, instead it's real man+poc women, at least in some places.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got to the second act finally... and the game really :decline:-ed hard now... The map is empty the new settlement lack quests, we don't see this hinted faction conflict at all now, it looks like the developers just gave up after the Magellan station, in my opinion entire game post Concord Tutorial should be in Magellan as hub with outside being rad swept wasteland you would be able only to leave in shielded vesicle and/or servo shell first to fix the base and lessen the wings conflict and then to either fix the situation or find way out this way the rushed finale would not stick out so much , I got maxed reputation now but it doesn't really changes anything.

Can't say I did not got my value per buck here but comparing encased with titles like Atom, Star Traders or Sunless Skies or even Wasteland 2 where devs added much of content to later parts of game it looks poor... Sure game journalists will never play so far and Steam returns is only 2 hours when 20 or so first hours are fun but still...

Going to finish game once for achievements and satisfaction of course but only first chapter seems to be worth replaying.

P.S. And final rant about the f...ing car you need to trek entire dome to get... Moves with same speed as walking per foot and even not protects you from dehydration and hunger despite having kitchen and fridge on board.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The same people who got the billboards with libtard slogans in it about equality wrote that thing, so, I dunno what is going on with those ruskies.

I noticed how they don't follow the rule "real woman+poc, instead it's real man+poc women, at least in some places.

Go to the Vault where people were consumed by Black Monolith and you will see that most woke elements are made fun and mocked by devs but yes when settings and lack of degeneracy come Trutograd is much better game.

jackofshadows

Magister
R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D. stealth system (crouching IN PLAIN SIGHT AND IN BRIGHT LIGHT in front of dude - doesn't give a shit) - why can't these fucking RPGs ever make a good stealth system?
Try Underrail and keep your eye out for Colony Ship. Encased's stealth system is pathetic, yes. Amusing that it was even worse in Wasteland 3.

cpmartins

Cipher
R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D. stealth system (crouching IN PLAIN SIGHT AND IN BRIGHT LIGHT in front of dude - doesn't give a shit) - why can't these fucking RPGs ever make a good stealth system?
Try Underrail and keep your eye out for Colony Ship. Encased's stealth system is pathetic, yes. Amusing that it was even worse in Wasteland 3.
Underrail is the best game I've played in the last 10 years, easily. Also looking forward to Colony Ship. I enjoyed AoD for what it was, but it really wasn't my cup of tea. CS is looking right up my alley from what I've seen in the feedback thread.
I'm liking Encased, but the decline in Act 2 really is what dropped it from a solid "Recommend" to an "Avoid". We'll see how the company handles it moving forward. IF they work it into something not complete shit it would turn into a solid 7. As it is, 5 at best. Unfortunate, since I really enjoy the setting and the graphical presentation. It has competent art direction and dialog system, which brought it slightly above ATOM for me.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Yeah, that's 80s Reagan Era woke. It was always white man + hot black woman and two cops, best friends, both based and fighting crime together. One, more dominant - White and one more sidekick - Black

Different shit feeding system aka different, more realistic propaganda method, but more-less same goal. I'm not even accusing Devs of anything, 80s American movies have been re-running on Slavland TVs for decades. We still get Predator on our TV for Christmas. And Predator is how WOKE is done right

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
We have second and first in-command of Encased Devs posting in this thread. How about we face them with our criticism of barren and unfinished second half of game and ask them questions? Of course, let's both try to be friendly AND ask them all the tough questions

Encased lacks so little to be so good. Foundation is good

cpmartins

Cipher
We have second and first in-command of Encased Devs posting in this thread. How about we face them with our criticism of barren and unfinished second half of game and ask them questions? Of course, let's both try to be friendly AND ask them all the tough questions

Well, I think we've been quite civilized so far. At least most of us.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Man, hard to say, I dont hate them but I wish to grab whoever made the combat for this by the neck and tell him: "See, little Vasili, Borderlands bad, item level bad, HP bloat bad, level scalling bad, no shops bad, shit death animations bad, no new decent armor and new weapons for 5hs bad, shit Ai bad, see? You only need to not fuck up and remake your game again. Is that unpolite?

jackofshadows

Magister
:lol::lol: keep it coming, man!
no shops bad, no new decent armor and new weapons for 5hs bad
Well, this is sorta fake news. The fact that the game doesn't hold your hand is totally fine. There're shops, you just need to discover them asap + random encounter ones (that said, the successive vendors in settlements is an unusually retarded idea). The problem is the loot system where enemies just drop fucking junk instead of at least various weapons because the devs decided to balance their economy or something. How you can ahem be inspired by something and mess up so badly stuff that wasn't messed up in the thing that you were inspired by?

Commissar Draco

Patron
This game lacks contest after of first chapter and this is why we very rarely find armor and weapons on defeated foes, the level scaling and meager quest rewards mean you need to A) do every random encounter to gather enough junk to craft something.... B) you do the same to sell this junk and buy stuff at shop which means that game-time is artificially inflated. Of course you better use some melee weapons though cause ammo + meds costs will eat those. So yes the game seems to be very easy at first when you get companions but then the level scaling makes it... well not really hard but tedious. Also there are enough shops in game one in junktown and two in Megallan, you should scan every dead Chronos employee you got free meds which can be sold for good combods from this alone, also of course every artifact and alien robot you met.

I agree game falls from solid 7/10 to 5/10.

jackofshadows

Magister
meds costs
I didn't use a single stimpack for the entire game. Free coffee & med perk from the first tier covered that up. And that's all without using stealth. It's that poorly designed mechanic.

Crafting is highly tedious, yeah. And barely worth the effort because either way you have to collect all the junk in order to afford the high tier weapons.

With all that said I don't think the game is terrible, but it's not good. Although despite they said it "continues to evolve" I'd say they leave it and start a new one.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Is there a way to know which items to safely sell and which should be stored for later use (crafting, dissassembly...)? For example 400 CB for Relic Shards.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Relic shards are needed for some high tier weapon upgrades (I think 8+, though maybe it was 7+). They are also farmable from random encounters. Necroids drop active pearls, and if you strip those you get shards.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Has anyone mentioned the brilliant Fatigue system?

I fucking hate it. It's the most brain dead mechanic I've encountered in some time. I just hope somebody will mod it out of the game.

Alphons

Cipher

I fucking hate it. It's the most brain dead mechanic I've encountered in some time. I just hope somebody will mod it out of the game.

Once you get into the City you can ask Reverend's secretary for infinite free coffees.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I'll tell you one thing, this game is what I deserve for all my ranting about the EA. I'll never buy it again. Oh wait...

agris

Arcane
Patron

Dude you registered here 12 years ago, how are you getting filtered by fatigue? fatigue, hunger and thrist are incredibly trivial to deal with such that they literally add nothing, could be taken out of the game. and this is on tactics (aka 2010's normal) with my main being the lockpicker / healer / fatigue-accumulator.

0wca

Learned

I have finished Underrail a while ago and I really liked it, but it's missing a few things to really make it replayable for me.

The setting, characters, builds, freedom, combat - all great (for the most part), but what keeps me from replaying it is the linearity of quite a few quests. Some are really well made but there a lot of them that are way too linear. That's my only real gripe with the game. It kinda forces you to care about the whole SGS plotline even if your character wouldn't. Tried turning against them fairly early on and it doesn't really have a contigency for it (that I remember, though it was a while ago).

Otherwise it's definitely in my top 10 RPGs.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So on the topic of buggy Unity games exiting open beta, how long should I wait to play this particular one before all the Unity jank is fixed?

2 months or 2 years?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom