Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vanquish now available on PC

Ivan

Arcane
It's stop and move rather than continuous movement, and relies extensively on the slow mo shit. Didn't like it, DOOM is more my type.
And that's fine

Vorark

Erudite
The need to QTE some enemies that show up by the mid to end game in order to kill them kind of soured me on it, otherwise it's an excellent tps.

distant

Learned
It's better than other cover-shooters, perhaps, but it's still just a mediocre popamole. The only difference is that it has a layer of arcadey weeb shit thrown on top of it that actually makes it feel worse than a normal Gears of War kind of game. I'd rather they just went full-on weeaboo or made something completely crazy instead of just making something that feels like a generic, superficial combination of Xbox and anime (and that applies to both the gameplay and the story).

This makes no sense. Use of cover is there as a momentary reprieve which elevates it above generic popamole, the game mechanics encourage fighting in the open. A bunch of posters above illustrated all the advanced stuff you can do in the game that can't be done in games like Gears of War. Sounds like you couldn't get past the weeb aesthetic, played the game like a standard cover shooter and dropped it.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The story is fine and serves it's purpose as providing context for the action. There is NOTHING wrong with games having a "b- action movie" type story.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

I played this over the last couple of days and found it fantastic. Once again the Japanese show their mastery over action games compared to the west by improving the regenerating health cover shooter through allowing you to zip around the levels like Doomguy and encouraging you to do so with aggressive melee enemies, bullet hell, and destructible cover. Wasn't too fond of the gravel-voices in the English dub, though the set-up being "President Hillary colludes with the Russians who then destroy San Francisco and then she has to give herself the Clinton special when she's found out" was hilarious. The credits minigame was cute too. Too bad a sequel didn't happen. :negative:

SumDrunkGuy

Excellent game. Any game similar to Vanquish?

There's only one, baby. All other cover shooters turned to ass the moment Vanquish came out. Max Payne 3 had some cool shit in it I guess but that game had more cutscenes than fucking Metal Gear Solid which completely destroyed the pacing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's nothing like it, but if you liked Vanquish, give Binary Domain a go. It's really cool. Newer Japanese action games are really superior to western ones, because they have an actual fun factor to them.

aEAtCdU.gif

Sentifor

Barely Literate
There's nothing like it, but if you liked Vanquish, give Binary Domain a go. It's really cool. Newer Japanese action games are really superior to western ones, because they have an actual fun factor to them.

aEAtCdU.gif
Yes, Binary Domain is a really cool game. It was a real discovery for me.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Excellent game. Any game similar to Vanquish?

There's only one, baby. All other cover shooters turned to ass the moment Vanquish came out. Max Payne 3 had some cool shit in it I guess but that game had more cutscenes than fucking Metal Gear Solid which completely destroyed the pacing.

I spent way more time in multiplayer. The single player scenarios are mostly nice, but the enemies are too stupid and the levels too linear. You barely even get to play around with different weapons like the sniper rifles. I didn't start hip-firing with the sniper rifles until the multiplayer.

Nor did I use the crouch much until the multiplayer. I don't have it installed anymore, though. Partly because it has too many dumb balancing and matchmaking choices, plus a starved community.

Funposter

Arcane

aEAtCdU.gif
Agreed that Binary Domain is a lot of fun, even if the gameplay itself is fairly derivative. Worth it for the price of a sandwich on Steam.

distant

Learned
I tried Binary Domain a while ago but it felt like much more of a typical cover shooter. Didn't get too far in though so who knows. Vanquish is definitely one of a kind. Shame.

I'd say Resident Evil 6 is more like Vanquish than Binary Domain is like Vanquish, and RE6 isn't even really all that much like it. It is however a action heavy third person shooter where being in the open and melee are important, and both have cover systems that aren't really meant to be used like normal third person cover based shooters...in RE6 it's more just a faster stamina recovery method. There is Mikami's predecessor to Vanquish, P.N. 03, although that doesn't play the same either.

I guess try out some other Japanese third person shooters like the Earth Defense Force series, Lost Planet, and Gunvalkyrie. They're lock-on as opposed to normal third person shooter aiming, but maybe also try the Armored Core games.

Binary Domain is more a normal cover based shooter, but it does it better than similar western games with how the robot enemies work.

distant

Learned
I guess try out some other Japanese third person shooters like the Earth Defense Force series, Lost Planet, and Gunvalkyrie. They're lock-on as opposed to normal third person shooter aiming, but maybe also try the Armored Core games.

Binary Domain is more a normal cover based shooter, but it does it better than similar western games with how the robot enemies work.

Nice cool picks. EDF was really fun to play through. Gonna check out Lost Planet and Gunvalkyrie because they actually look pretty fun. Another pick even though it's in a different genre Sin & Punishment/Star Successor.

The Lost Planet sequel is good, but if you're not playing it with other people then there almost isn't any point given the games almost completely singular focus on multiple. Although the tiny little levels were definitely a disappointment.

I think the shame of the Lost Planet series is they never just went full on EDF with it. They're both very similar feeling games, but Lost Planet is all just normal level layouts where you're always moving forward, where EDF has these nice large destructible arenas you fight waves of enemies in. It's like Lost Planet feels better in every way, (especially vehicles) it's got better enemy encounters and the boss design, (it was actually kind of funny when Anthem came out since it's boss encounters look like shit halfassed knockoffs of Lost Planet bosses) but EDF was still a more fun to just fuck around in thanks to it's open levels. Maybe it's just because EDF2017 and Lost Planet came out so close to each other, but I'm a little surprised Capcom never got to Lost Planet as polished EDF in the ongoing search to reinvent the series.

It's almost a little shocking large openworldish arenas wasn't the western reinvention the third game took even if by total accident back in 2013, but I guess fucking up the gameplay and focusing on story wasn't exactly a shocking direction to go in 2013 either. Never played it because it didn't come out here, but the other Lost Planet 3, the Japanese one, EX Troopers, did look interesting. EX Troopers looks like a faster game than the others in the series, but it's also one made specifically for the Japanese market in 2012, so it's lock-on as opposed to free aim.

I do hope Shinji Mikami returns to his Vanqhish ideas (and God Hand for that matter) with Tango Gameworks at some point...especially after seeing this interview where he talks about how Vanqhish changed during development because they couldn't do what they originally wanted while making it look like they wanted, so they switched over to linear levels:

"At first, it was supposed to be more of a hack and slash game in a large area. The enemies would create robot factories in the various planets they would invade. They would produce robot enemies in real time to take control of planets. The goal was to make your way Dunasty Warriors style and destroy the base, as it would keep producing enemies if you didn't. You would have to look at the map and think of the right strategy to destroy the bases. It would be combining both strategy elements and acton ones. What remained of that was the sliding part. We had to create a large area that you could freely slide across fast, just go like this."​

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom