Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 announced

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
After recently finishing JA1 for the first time, I'm glad I still have the whole of JA2 ahead of me before I'll have to play this.

Seconded the doubts about a Euro studio making this, unless they outsource the entirety of writing to people who "get it" (good luck with that, btw), it's doubtful they'll be able to replicate the feel of the original...

Aemar

Arcane
Guess which game got left out of a bleeping Top 500 list?
Jagged Alliance, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Might and Magic, etc. Therefore who cares about what Polygon normies consider to be the best games of all time?

m_s0

Arcane
Darth Roxor do we still have ppl who do interviews? We should try to talk to this team, I’m sure we can crowdsource some good questions.

I suspect they'd say only as much as THQ would allow them to say, so you know.
Even within those parameters we could ask some good questions most other sites will never touch on. Ballistics systems, strategy layer, multiple squads, militia training, sticky cover vs los cover, that kind of stuff.
Add these points as well:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/jagged-alliance-3-from-haemimont-games.140166/#post-7509565

Though if it's early enough and planned to be included in a dev journal it's more likely you won't get as much as table scraps, or something easily achievable via a simple JA3 attempt interview generator.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Guess which game got left out of a bleeping Top 500 list?
Jagged Alliance, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Might and Magic, etc. Therefore who cares about what Polygon normies consider to be the best games of all time?
I consulted many, many online lists, and none of them even mention JA2. The Polygon list is one of the better ones, I'd say maybe 60-75% of the games they listed deserve to be there, and it *is* an indictment on JA2's obscurity that it failed to make this list. JA2 *is* superior to BG1, IWD, MoM and MoO, so if JA2 did not make the list, why would we expect those inferior games to be included? As they *do* list other Bioware games like PST, DAO and DAI, we can assume that BG1 and IWD were known to the staff and rejected. Even the original Wasteland is listed at #278.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Feel like JA is one of those brands that will actually hurt your sales by attaching the name. People who know it are a bunch of crotchety old men who can still remember who quality gaming was, and will rail against the hubris of any studio thinking they can follow up on JA2. Plus the last JA product already primed us for a wet turd nostalgia cash grab attempt.
No one else cares about JA, why even bother? Just make a new game inspired by JA anyway.
But if anyone can capture the feeling of the original games now, it's probably a weird Eastern European place trapped in some cultural isolation bubble 30 years out of date.

Israfael

Arcane
Looks a fair bit more sophisticated than nuXcom. No doubt they dumbed down stuff, but they appear to have retained at least some mechanics of JA2, such as different stances, action points, being able to aim at different body parts and spend action points to improve accuracy.
Phoenix Point also had a lot of stuff like that planned but the retarded CM who was posting here on the 'dex somehow persuaded Gollop to get rid of proper AP and forced him to integrate many retarded features of nuxcom like classes. As a bonus, they removed all of their initial unique art style and replaced it with generic "I made my first model" futuristic 3D shit.
. Stop raping her corpse, you subhuman shitstains.
Gotta give it to the THQ, it takes a lot of work to make Mondy stand against rape :D
At this point, you all should hope for the new Brigada E5 game.
Won't happen as two key devs died in mysterious ways way over 10 years ago...

Phoenix Point also had a lot of stuff like that planned but the retarded CM who was posting here on the 'dex somehow persuaded Gollop to get rid of proper AP and forced him to integrate many retarded features of nuxcom like classes. As a bonus, they removed all of their initial unique art style and replaced it with generic "I made my first model" futuristic 3D shit.

You're giving Gollop too much credit. If a CM was able to convince him to butcher his own game maybe he didn't have that strong of a vision to begin with. That CM was a shitter for sure. And I didn't like how beligerent he got. But Gollop made all the final decisions. He could've put his foot down but he didn't. And he let a CM run his mouth in a public space and turn off potential backers and customers. Gollop didn't care.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I consulted many, many online lists, and none of them even mention JA2.

Many shitlist is just many shitlists - nothing else.
Explain why UFO's brilliiance is nearly universally recognized, while JA2 continues to decline into ignominy and obscurity. It would amuse me to hear some justifications.

Because Jagged Alliance wasn't as famous as XCOM in the first place and then the IP was squatted on by shovelware publishers for two decades

Shin

Cipher
Because Jagged Alliance wasn't as famous as XCOM in the first place and then the IP was squatted on by shovelware publishers for two decades

The respective pages on Wikipedia sort of confirm this.

On JA2:
Regarding Jagged Alliance 2's global sales, Pelit's Niko Nirvi reported that "estimates of sales bounced between 150,000–500,000." He remarked that team member Chris Camfield placed its sales at 300,000 units by 2006, a figure that Nirvi said "sounds credible".[44]

On X-COM: UFO Defense:
The game was released to very positive reviews and commercial success, selling more than 600,000 units on the PC DOS platform, not counting the later ports—for the Amiga platforms and the PlayStation—and re-releases. Half of the game's net sales were in the United States, a rarity for a European title at the time. Gollop has attributed the game's North American success to its title (X-COM), as the television series The X-Files had premiered a year earlier.[16] More than 400,000 units were sold at full price, with little marketing from its publisher.[58] Together with its sequel, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, its sales had passed 1 million copies by March 1997.[59]

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are there really people on this site that think this pic:
1KI1FpZ.jpg
+ rtwp is better than a straight up nuxcom clone? Granted I didn't even realize the others between Back in Action and this even existed until now because I purposefully tuned everything Jagged Alliance out after witnessing this rape. What are the other Jagged Alliance rapes like?

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are the other rapes all rtwp too or was it just BiA that turned the most autistic tactical turn based game into rtwp? Is this new one being turn based actually a difference from the previous instalments?

Israfael

Arcane
What's wrong with RTWP? It's definitely better than nuxcom, which is not a turn-based simulation but a very primitive board game with arbitrary rules

Are there really people on this site that think this pic:

38aMjKBP9VLSHBUjgdZ-WMWkxOWVtXt2zcXJlIhgogSu7l_Hei8t1iRg7t9INmRnamgD2puuLEA-bFYq6s3ueM_GjrmYIlfxNXWS1hqJ9zdyu2aRtjsqnv8YBvWbgCOFpqQZTZEeNmo

+ rtwp is better than a straight up nuxcom clone? Granted I didn't even realize the others between Back in Action and this even existed until now because I purposefully tuned everything Jagged Alliance out after witnessing this rape. What are the other Jagged Alliance rapes like?
For context I should probably clarify that I even LIKE nuXCOM a lot.
Ok. Maybe not the first one so much, especially before the expansion. But one playthrough after another I ended up growing very fond of XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen, more specifically.
To the point that as soon as I started accepting that it was never going to become "the faithful remake of the original" I initially hoped for, I just had to admit I was having a blast playing it. I can now admit it's up there as one of my top 4-5 tactical games of all times. I think just JA 2, the original UFO and Temple of Elemental Evil give it a run for its money.

All this long premise just to say: FUCK if I want a new Jagged Alliance to turn into another "nuXCOM".

And RTWP sucks fat dicks, anyway.

I genuinely don't give a shit about your condescending bullshit, my annoying sperg friends of the codex. I stand to what I said.

If you have recriminations to make feel free to form an orderly line and being bitchslapped one by one.

The day I'll have to listen to any legitimate argument about why I shouldn't enjoy the game that doesn't boil down to an autistic "BU-BUT ABSTRACT BOARD GAME" I may start caring.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Artstyle is bad in nuxcoms, it's that shitty sci-fi style, no soul in it, so you should feel bad for liking it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom