Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

cpmartins

Cipher
So on the topic of buggy Unity games exiting open beta, how long should I wait to play this particular one before all the Unity jank is fixed?

2 months or 2 years?
Not really buggy. In fact, I experienced only one bug, which I described earlier in the thread.
It's how unfinished it feels after the first 2/3rds of the game. And it wouldn't take much to make it a very decent purchase.

Vatnik Wumao
Has anyone mentioned the brilliant Fatigue system?

I fucking hate it. It's the most brain dead mechanic I've encountered in some time. I just hope somebody will mod it out of the game.

Once you get into the City you can ask Reverend's secretary for infinite free coffees.

Or you can just sleep for free in the sheriff's basement office.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If you have a psyche focused main just take the eletrokinetic glove swap places ability with the reinvigorating teleportation perk, every time the fatigue is high, swap places with a companion and you wont have to care about fatigue through the whole game.

jackofshadows

Magister
R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D. stealth system (crouching IN PLAIN SIGHT AND IN BRIGHT LIGHT in front of dude - doesn't give a shit) - why can't these fucking RPGs ever make a good stealth system?
Try Underrail and keep your eye out for Colony Ship. Encased's stealth system is pathetic, yes. Amusing that it was even worse in Wasteland 3.

I have finished Underrail a while ago and I really liked it, but it's missing a few things to really make it replayable for me.

The setting, characters, builds, freedom, combat - all great (for the most part), but what keeps me from replaying it is the linearity of quite a few quests. Some are really well made but there a lot of them that are way too linear. That's my only real gripe with the game. It kinda forces you to care about the whole SGS plotline even if your character wouldn't. Tried turning against them fairly early on and it doesn't really have a contigency for it (that I remember, though it was a while ago).

Otherwise it's definitely in my top 10 RPGs.
Well I was just saying in the stealth system context. Underrail has a pretty good one. And Colony Ship is also getting fresh and exellent system: it's turn-based (meaning it depends on char's skill rather than on player's one like in many RPGs), predictable and transparent. The downside is that it is used on specific occasions only.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, when developers are going to learn that when you have to decide between size and quality, always go for quality, size is secondary, even if the final game wont be so long.

Man, in lore:

There is a dangerous irradiated swamp full of anomalies, strange sentinel automatons, anomalies and dangerous monsters. You are sent to clean up a place infested by dangerous creatures to serve as refuge in case of Maelstrom blowing up.

In practice:

The map is small, there are only five anomalies and they are only blocking a path that you dont need to take, there are only two radiation mini spots with rewards for getting radiation poisoning being more useless crafting junk, you kill five roaches and the sentinel automatons in reality is only one inside a cave that barely can damage one of your companions.

Man, if you feel you need to half ass like that, cut it and take your effort somewhere else where it will be more productive.

Very sad how their implementation of anomalies being just obvious mini obstacles that are easy to overcome in the way to get more crafting junk. I even laughed my ass off when on the Magellan station, there are anomalies on the parking lot exactly where the developers wanted to "block" you access to junk, some anomalies even almost touching equipment that looked like electrical transformers, yeah, makes total sense.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Very sad how their implementation of anomalies being just obvious mini obstacles that are easy to overcome in the way to get more crafting junk.

Why is the idea that players want to pick up literal junk as loot so popular among developers? Goddamn Witcher 3 started it and now everyone is parroting it.

- "b-but you can use it for crafting!1!"

Dear devs, fuck off with this shit already.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goddamn Witcher 3
:hmmm:
You mean fallout and arcanum started it,right ?!

Yes but only if you play as the pleb technologist Comrade then yes... You need to search every trash bin for the holy Carbonium and then sleep on street waiting the shop keeper to sell you the steam engine needed for your power armor... as the Mage on the other hand you just move thou entire continent, and pawn everybody by mere gesture of hand using only naturally replaced Magica.

As down side you play as Elf faggot/Elf rape child though.

Raven was still hot waifu knife ears or not.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Still, as a pleb mechanist you got the short end of the stick and you were more desperately scavenging to get something to kill shit with and stop sucking instead of spamming Harm than I have 500 ironbolts to use on anomalies that dont exist, those three boxes on that irradiated spot increased that number to 510 ironbolts after I wasted an Arad - 3 for it, YAY...

Basically, after a certain point, I saved before going for any radiation spot, seen if there was something that was worthy the price of a single Arad - 3, if not, I reloaded and boy that was a rare occasion. While on Fallout 1, I got the Winchester P 94 Industrial Grade Plasma rifle, second best energy weapon in the game after wasting most of my supply of Radaway on the Glow without mention a ton of valuable shit.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Point is loot is supposed to be a reward - for exploration, for combat, for other activities. And junk as a reward doesn't exactly feel, you know, rewarding, no matter the context.

Imagine you give a few strings, wheels, pieces of wood and a bunch of springs to your kid for Christmas saying: "Sure it's junk but you can craft any toy you want now." A funny idea? It's a norm in RPGs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Goddamn Witcher 3
:hmmm:
You mean fallout and arcanum started it,right ?!

Yes but only if you play as the pleb technologist Comrade then yes... You need to search every trash bin for the holy Carbonium and then sleep on street waiting the shop keeper to sell you the steam engine needed for your power armor... as the Mage on the other hand you just move thou entire continent, and pawn everybody by mere gesture of hand using only naturally replaced Magica.

As down side you play as Elf faggot/Elf rape child though.

Raven was still hot waifu knife ears or not.
Hmmm not really an argument tho,it is still part of the game. People could also ignore going trough the pants in encased or picking every little shit in atom. The point is that the bitcher wasn't the first game to popularize it. Maybe ultima,remember having a lot of containers with garbage,also elder scroll games,and fallout. Those are one of the older and more popular examples. Tho i do agree that it is pretty bad game design thingy,would prefer hand placed loot that have some value and it is not a fork or a fucking log.

And yeah elf bitch was very good looking,would shag her brains out if given the chance,also the dark elf was pretty good too.

Terenty

Liturgist
Arcanum crafting was worth it, there wasn't as much junk to collect and you could actually craft some unique weapons.

Remember crafting a Vendigrot gun that used oil instead of bullets, felt pretty bad ass

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Point is loot is supposed to be a reward - for exploration, for combat, for other activities. And junk as a reward doesn't exactly feel, you know, rewarding, no matter the context.

Imagine you give a few strings, wheels, pieces of wood and a bunch of springs to your kid for Christmas saying: "Sure it's junk but you can craft any toy you want now." A funny idea? It's a norm in RPGs.

If they are going to have the retarded collect 6000 widgets, they should also have the vendors that you can just pay to upgrade your shit, without having to have the books, and the gizmos.
That way the autistic fuckers that want to pick everything up and be overburdened can be satisfied, and the people that are happy to shoot everyone, or steal from all for their loot are catered too as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

If they are going to have the retarded collect 6000 widgets, they should also have the vendors that you can just pay to upgrade your shit, without having to have the books, and the gizmos.
That way the autistic fuckers that want to pick everything up and be overburdened can be satisfied, and the people that are happy to shoot everyone, or steal from all for their loot are catered too as well.
Crafting has been a big black bloating cancer pustule on the fact of RPG for years. But ok, craftfags are a legion by now, I get it.

But if you decide to cater to them at least make the whole process interesting. Make mining or scavenging a skill you have to learn and train for example. And make crafting ingrediences relatively rare and valuable, not literal fucking junk.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Crafting has been a big black bloating cancer pustule on the fact of RPG for years. But ok, craftfags are a legion by now, I get it.

But if you decide to cater to them at least make the whole process interesting. Make mining or scavenging a skill you have to learn and train for example. And make crafting ingrediences relatively rare and valuable, not literal fucking junk.
Crafting is retarded,also there is no legion of fans lol. If it had,those games that have wouldn't have sold like shit. Nobody really cares about that shit,most people ignore it and just sell the shit. Devs put it in because they think it is popular but in the end it is giant waste of money. Only MMOs crafting games make money,and it is not because of the crafting lol,it is because it lets you larp and build your own hovel so DownYours124y12 could blow it up while you are doing some in real life shit.

jackofshadows

Magister
That's basically already implemented though. Vendor's selection is level-scaled. So you can forget about upgrading weapons yourself entirely and just buy your favorite gun(s) again and again until it'll be tier 10. Problem is, they tighten economy pretty hard in order to encourage player to loot all the shit all the time anyway.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dont hate crafting, I hate it when it is used to artificially prolong game time, seriously, just dont:
- Implement delays when clicking on containers.
- Having 50 containers each level all with little crafting parts and many with delays when clicking.
- Punish players that avoided crafting like making them buying the same weapon over and over to avoid crafting.
- Having most your rewards for exploration even on hazardous areas that required the player to spend resources being crafting junk like: safes that have a few combonds or radiation areas with ironbolts in.
- Inflate the prices of upgrades so the player will be punished if he doesnt continue scaveging like a maniac, and there is never a point where you have enough of what you need at least for the basics, only really powerful items should cost alot in crafting material.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I fucking hate it. It's the most brain dead mechanic I've encountered in some time. I just hope somebody will mod it out of the game.
Dude you registered here 12 years ago, how are you getting filtered by fatigue? fatigue, hunger and thrist are incredibly trivial to deal with such that they literally add nothing, could be taken out of the game. and this is on tactics (aka 2010's normal) with my main being the lockpicker / healer / fatigue-accumulator.

You are getting aroused for the wrong reasons: none of these mechanics add anything to the game. They could be removed and the experience would be better.

The random loot, the flowerpots and hunger/thirst/fatigue mechanics were added to the game just to waste the player's time. They are just padding for an unfinished game.

Also I don't care about your "expertise": the game is poor-easy on the highest "difficulty".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If you go south too fast then you are hit with the following "random" event:
4AE5563014F9561B98006A339C8CC3A443B6DA6E

I'm nowhere near Maelstrom but whatever.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Dude you registered here 12 years ago, how are you getting filtered by fatigue? fatigue, hunger and thrist are incredibly trivial to deal with such that they literally add nothing, could be taken out of the game. and this is on tactics (aka 2010's normal) with my main being the lockpicker / healer / fatigue-accumulator.

You are getting aroused for the wrong reasons: none of these mechanics add anything to the game. They could be removed and the experience would be better.

The random loot, the flowerpots and hunger/thirst/fatigue mechanics were added to the game just to waste the player's time. They are just padding for an unfinished game.

Also I don't care about your "expertise": the game is poor-easy on the highest "difficulty".
Oh maybe I misunderstood your post as complaining that it was hard. I agree it is braindead, and the game is far far too easy. Itemization, combat and the survival systems all need overhauling.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Crafting to make sense and add to gaming exp, all components have to be reasonably rare and good merchants system needs to exist. Best weapons/armour would be discovered during questing, second best bought from merchants and third best crafted. You should be able to craft reasonably powerful stuff but not legendary things. Why it is in many modern RPGs that this logic is turned upside down on its head? Because Minecraft, because steam babies are allergic to effort and because Devs, despite having different difficulty levels, rarely have balls to have motherfucking game vision and stick to it. At least in Hardcore Mode

Most RPG systems that you complain here about, have been nerfed to the ground and all meaning stripped from them because of cries for "qualityyyyy of lifeeeee improvemeeents'. Mwaaaaa! Steam babies cried. What Steam babies mean by famous "quality of life"? More often then not, they mean by it that for example: you have survival systems like thirst and workin CocaCola vending machines on every 100m in post-apo desert. You can't have both, if you do, thirst meter becomes pure busy work

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
TLDR: Gamers on Steam don't know what they want and Devs need to force-feed them Incline sometimes. Until they like it!

Hardcore Mode should be Devs' pure vision for the game. Anyone who complains about it, if Devs disagree, they should say "fuck off to any other difficulty". This difficulty is our uncompromised vision for the game

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
That's how you take money from normies and show them what is based gameplay. Very soon, they'll want to be cool kids who play only Devs' Original Vision in Hardcore Mode*

*we definitely need better name

Everyone has to start from somewhere. Story Mode in PoE or Encased is not bad starting point for your RPG career

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So on the topic of buggy Unity games exiting open beta, how long should I wait to play this particular one before all the Unity jank is fixed?

2 months or 2 years?

As long as they will fix missing items - this could be really bad bug.
Otherwise I would play it right now.

Very sad how their implementation of anomalies being just obvious mini obstacles that are easy to overcome in the way to get more crafting junk.

Their placement at swamp near Picnic is so useless. Btw car there have a trunk if you missed it (I did).

just dont:
- Implement delays when clicking on containers.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom