Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, I am ready for DU to come out with a decision that is leaps and bounds more horrible than anyone here has seriously anticipated. I mean, we all know that's how this is going to end, right?

You are a Big Gay

For you.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Burning Bridges its too late too LARP good Merkel Reich Germ you posted for years on Nazi forum with 60% posts in GD what is your defence now?

Australian laws are so Draconian that all sites which are not Big Five who have shekels to hire good lawyers and pay fines will have to shut-down eventually, My advice is sell the Domain to some Yank or Russian* before it will be seized anyways for allowing Chyna Numbew One posts.

*Buying domains in Syria, Mauretania, Iran, Uganda, Burma etc... should work its not about Laws per but about political will to enforce the ever changing new globalist secular ''orthodoxy'' and not being good puppet of deep <<<Kwanzoo>>> hence why places like Potatoland or Banderistan won't work.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Wait, what is the problem again, this thread needs a TL;DR. If site is in trouble cause of naughty words from Australian government, then just censor them and move on or do they monitor conversations on forums?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, what is the problem again, this thread needs a TL;DR. If site is in trouble cause of naughty words from Australian government, then just censor them and move on or do they monitor conversations on forums?

It ain't that simple. DU has linked two things.

One is about defamation, that is civil law and is broadly around people being slandered/defamed on the Codex. I.e. someone gets butthurt at getting insulted here and tries to sue the Codex. Due to Aus law shenanigans DU is legally responsible for that insult/slander.

Second is hate speech in general. Those laws aren't generally about specific words but things that would "reasonably" cause offense. I don't think a word filter would save you from that since the intent of most statements is still pretty obvious whether a slur is filtered or not.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

It ain't that simple. DU has linked two things.

One is about defamation, that is civil law and is broadly around people being slandered/defamed on the Codex. I.e. someone gets butthurt at getting insulted here and tries to sue the Codex. Due to Aus law shenanigans DU is legally responsible for that insult/slander.

Second is hate speech in general. Those laws aren't generally about specific words but things that would "reasonably" cause offense. I don't think a word filter would save you from that since the intent of most statements is still pretty obvious whether a slur is filtered or not.
Damn, we really are fucked then
:negative:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

There is no actual problem yet, this is all hypothetical.
Unless there actually is a problem and DU isn't telling us.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Only regarding the tiny bit of information that DU has disclosed

Facebook defamation ruling by High Court exposes all page owners to lawsuits, not just the media

As much as social media has helped us to stay connected, especially for those stuck in lockdown, it has also become a home for vile and questionable commentary.

The High Court this week weighed into that issue, in a way, when it ruled that media companies are liable for any comments from the general public on posts they put on Facebook.

The case before the High Court directly involved some of the nation's biggest media organisations, but the consequences reach far beyond Australia's newsrooms.

If you're the admin of your band's Facebook page, or the local football club, or your own small business, it will matter to you too.
[...]
the court found that the media organisations were in fact legally responsible for comments on their pages, even though they played no part in drafting the remarks, because they had effectively facilitated the comments being posted.
[...]
The message from the High Court is that if a company wants a presence on social media, it's also responsible for moderating the content made in response to its posts.

"Any organisation which administers a social media account could also be liable for defamation on the same basis — for example, businesses, sporting clubs and community groups," he told the ABC.

"The decision gives potential plaintiffs such as Mr Voller the choice of tracking down the 'anonymous' person who made a specific defamatory comment and taking action against them, or going straight after the publisher — ie the owner of the Facebook account.

I don't understand how this is supposed to work at all tbh.

It would no longer be possible to run any discussion forum, comment section, messageboard etc unless all messages go through a moderation queue. Which means you cannot run internet forums in Australia at all. How does this work with Youtube and the millions of comments under the videos that violate some court ruling somewhere in the world?

A solution imo can only be technical, make a forum that isnt public, uses a passward to login, IP lock the accounts and a TOS that requires member not to use legal action against the owners, and leave the forum instead. Some government snitch could still sniff into the forum but it would have no chance in court, because the nature of the discussion is private.

A pretty fucked up country, if their "high court" makes rulings that are impossible to follow tbh. They might as well sue the Australian country on the whole because it is legally responsible for the air that the blasphemous messages traverse through.

Alter Sack

Magister
Only regarding the tiny bit of information that DU has disclosed

Facebook defamation ruling by High Court exposes all page owners to lawsuits, not just the media

As much as social media has helped us to stay connected, especially for those stuck in lockdown, it has also become a home for vile and questionable commentary.

The High Court this week weighed into that issue, in a way, when it ruled that media companies are liable for any comments from the general public on posts they put on Facebook.

The case before the High Court directly involved some of the nation's biggest media organisations, but the consequences reach far beyond Australia's newsrooms.

If you're the admin of your band's Facebook page, or the local football club, or your own small business, it will matter to you too.
[...]
the court found that the media organisations were in fact legally responsible for comments on their pages, even though they played no part in drafting the remarks, because they had effectively facilitated the comments being posted.
[...]
The message from the High Court is that if a company wants a presence on social media, it's also responsible for moderating the content made in response to its posts.

"Any organisation which administers a social media account could also be liable for defamation on the same basis — for example, businesses, sporting clubs and community groups," he told the ABC.

"The decision gives potential plaintiffs such as Mr Voller the choice of tracking down the 'anonymous' person who made a specific defamatory comment and taking action against them, or going straight after the publisher — ie the owner of the Facebook account.

I don't understand how this is supposed to work at all tbh.

It would no longer be possible to run any discussion forum, comment section, messageboard etc unless all messages go through a moderation queue. Which means you cannot run internet forums in Australia at all. How does this work with Youtube and the millions of comments under the videos that violate some court ruling somewhere in the world?

A solution imo can only be technical, make a forum that isnt public, uses a passward to login, IP lock the accounts and a TOS that requires member not to use legal action against the owners, and leave the forum instead. Some government snitch could still sniff into the forum but it would have no chance in court, because the nature of the discussion is private.

A pretty fucked up country, if their "high court" makes rulings that are impossible to follow tbh. They might as well sue the Australian country on the whole because it is legally responsible for the air that the blasphemous messages traverse through.

But it seems you have a period of two weeks to remove the offending post after receiving notice?

It would be interesting to know if you are obliged by law to disclose the information of the offending poster to the complaining party.

It certainly seems that way.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The law is the law, DU will have to do what he needs to stay out of jail. Whatever the solution is, it's better to preempt than postpone.

Alter Sack

Magister
The law is the law, DU will have to do what he needs to stay out of jail. Whatever the solution is, it's better to preempt than postpone.

Yeah, but what is the law exactly now?

As far as I understand it the recent verdict is relevant for defamation cases (not "hate speech").

So if some asshat feels now defamed on the codex and complains about it to DU, he is better advised to delete the offending post immediately and disclose the offending users details to avoid getting himself into hot water.

If the data will be of use to the complaining clown is another question.

In any case, if you tend to share your strong opinion of the usual lolcows and sjws on the codex I think it's advisable to use a VPN and maybe not your real email account from now on (depending on where you live).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Great insight!!!!!!!!!
I totes agree!!!!!!

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Worry not, citizen! The law is always right! Do not resist, citizen!

The law, for example, will soon require all individuals to have a vaccine passport on their person at all times, as well as their portable booster shot kit.
In addition, all citizens will be mailed a set of always online monitoring equipment (made by Amazon, bundled with Alexa!) for free (costs will be covered through taxes, but it's free, don't worry) so that we can ensure they maintain safe social distancing and mask-wearing protocols at home.

Voice not your opposition! Do not debate or attempt to converse regarding the matter, or -heaven forbid- circumvent it. Remember, citizen:
THE LAW IS THE LAW

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just keep operating as normal, if or when someone finally figures out how to use the Australian legal system against DU, then shut the site down.

Alternatively, migrate the site somewhere else.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Considering latin alphabet isn't native alphabet of Bulgaria, it's like asking a person who is not native English speaker to write without grammar error. You are barking at wrong tree.

I think we might have to do something about auto alt identification routine.

Can't handle the bacon

Considering latin alphabet isn't native alphabet of Bulgaria, it's like asking a person who is not native English speaker to write without grammar error. You are barking at wrong tree.
Cyrillic doesn't have different punctuation marks, dumbass. And plenty of people whose native language isn't English speak without sounding like illiterate goblins. It's a matter of IQ, or lack thereof.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

I think we might have to do something about auto alt identification routine.

When people, uneducated Americans in particular, criticize your English in an argument it's usually the absolutely last straw. I bet if a lady in a foreign language begs him to have sex he would not even know how to say yes.

Can't handle the bacon

When people, uneducated Americans in particular, criticize your English in an argument
What argument? What uneducated? What Americans?

I bet if a sexy lady in a foreign language would beg him to have sex he would not even know how to say yes.
What does this have to do with retardomat being an illiterate moron? And again, putting a space after a comma isn't specific to English. Stop hiding behind your ESL victimhood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom