Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is way worse than I remember it.

LOL... the fallout death scenes get an Age Restriction (watch it on youtube). Couldn't find a tactics or arcanum compilation.

Damn, Underrail has even worse visuals and feedback than i remembered. I know it's an EA indie but come on - 9 years on and still getting mogged by games from the early 2000s and 90s?

Sykar

Arcane

LOL... the fallout death scenes get an Age Restriction (watch it on youtube). Couldn't find a tactics or arcanum compilation.

Damn, Underrail has even worse visuals and feedback than i remembered. I know it's an EA indie but come on - 9 years on and still getting mogged by games from the early 2000s and 90s?

:deathclaw:
Fallout was made by a studio unlike Underrail wich was created on a self made engine created by one guy. Above all Underrail takes a huge dump on FO when it comes to combat which was trite and shallow in FO and it was in fact by far its worst aspect apart from the death animations which became boring halfway through the game.

Last edited:

Smerlus

Educated
Didn't he just use spiked knuckles? The animation is identical to unarmed and it is the strongest "non-gun" weapon in the early game. Also another thing to check is whether they're not injured. I remember one time Sulik refusing to fight and me being furious - turns out he was just blind. I don't blame him.

He started with a sledge and he started unequipping things as soon as I got him. I just used him as an example because someone mentioned I might have forgotten ammo. It was every party member I got the entire game and it would happen as soon as they joined the party.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hey original OP: Nice troll, now stop playing RPGs. FO2 is one of the best RPGs ever. I am pro free speech, but bullshit talk like yours makes me understand how dictators are created. LMAO :wink:

And, no, I haven't read the thread. The title TRIGGERED me. So thanks a lot, you turned me into a TRIGGRED SJW so double fuck off. L0LZ

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cherrypicking, wall of text, appealing to yourself - just generally coping & seething - all that's left for you to do is dilate :lol: on the point of inventory the underrail window is egregious with its tiny icons - its famously terrible, styg just refuses to do anything about it
All I hear is baby man faggot has inferior eyes. I have a large monitor and I sit far away from my desk and have never had any problems with the icons. Imagine being so crippled, cope harder.

And whether or not the icons or small doesn't necessarily mean you can call the rest of the UI shit.
As opposed to Underrails endless brown/grey caves and grey subway color scheme? Go fucking figure, the DESERT WASTELAND is mostly dry and lifeless.
More drivel.
Also, if you think that desert wasteland compels lack of color, I would disagree. Check out, for instance, Dune and Dark Sun.

Dune:
142572-dune-amiga-screenshot-the-balcony.gif

54556-dune-dos-screenshot-chani.gif

Dark Sun:
699400-dark-sun-shattered-lands-dos-screenshot-many-of-the-game-s.png

699407-dark-sun-shattered-lands-dos-screenshot-a-stony-area-with.png

699417-dark-sun-shattered-lands-dos-screenshot-a-beautifully-decorated.png

699415-dark-sun-shattered-lands-dos-screenshot-an-impressive-red.png

[EDIT]
Heck, just check out real life:
red-rock-new-mexico-jemez.jpg

p366467190-3.jpg

Red.Rock.Canyon.National.Conservation.Area.original.5768.jpg
Original post is from MRY, so I cannot take credit. Do not use the bullshit excuse of FO taking place in a desert to excuse its shit color scheme. Underrail isn't the most colorful game in the world, but it does a great job of mixing in different hues and tones to diversify the color palette of the game so everything doesn't look so lifeless and dry. Of course if you're going to be exploring the Upper/Lower Caves they're going to be muted in color, but there are plenty of vibrant locations in the world that also make sense thematically/logically. There is also a ton of blue and black in Underrai's cave systemsl, as much if not more than the brown. You're talking out of your ass and it's painfully obvious.
Denied - what now? You are obviously the retarded fanboy here and the game has barely changed in the 6 or so years since i first played it, not counting builds. How its possible for Underrail to have the most autistic zoomie fanbase is beyond me - considering the game has been in development since like 2009 it's shockingly bad, especially considering the direct influences.
Literal boomer Fallout fanboy has the audacity to complain about another games fanbase? Absolutely hilarious. I love how you ignore my very valid critique of Fallout's shit inventory because you can't deny its validity. Fallout's UI is shit for other reasons as well, but I can see it's not worth typing out.
Underrail barely has either, the only actual interesting areas is the Godmen fortress and the final areas before Tchort where you find all the terminals. Expedition is completely pointless unless you like running around aimlessly for no real reason - but i guess you get a little more of your precious color?
Plenty of lore all throughout expition that goes deeper into the lore of the Godmen, Old Biocorp, Old Junkyard, Protectorate, and the world of Underrail before Biocorp started to run everything, as well as many other things. This shit has been discussed in the actual forums and is easy to pull up. But it's cool, I know you want to run your mouth off on a shit you don't know a damn thing about so you can get some precious virtual points from your Fallout butt faggots.
Story in Underrail is completely optional and you can miss all of it unless you specifically go looking for it
Maybe you missed it. My brain has wrinkles in it though, so I didn't have that problem. Just because the game doesn't shove it in your fucking face doesn't mean it's easy to miss.
you also have barely any c&c the entire game through - it's just pointless forced combat encounters until the end, where, dun dun, you're forced to niggerkill the evil alien and if you decide to keep the cube the _excellent writing_ forces you to give it up anyway. This would be less annoying if the story actually went anywhere but a cliffhanger with no progress in sight.
The game has plenty of C&C when it comes to quests, factions, build choices, dungeons and so on. Just because there is a linear story that culminates with fighting Tchort and getting the cube doesn't mean the game doesn't have C&C. Not every game has to have a thousand different endings. Shit tier opinion.
Feel free to list the "plethora" of interesting locations and gripping characters in Underrail then
Just some places that come to mind.

Locations
Caerus Residential Block, Lemurian Grand Archive, Lemurian Medical Center, Joint Security Center, Blistering Shores Research Facility Oculus, Abyssal Station Zero, Foundry, Gray Army Military Base, Port Ceto, University Basement, The Rig, Drag 'n' Drop, Abandoned Waterway Facility

Just some characters that come to mind.

Characters
Gorsky, Azif, Six, Captain Grim, Ferryman, Yngwar, Ezra, Dude, Kharon, Dan, Kokoschka, Abram, Marcus Ladelman, Vivian Young, Aran, Todd, Rathound King, Evelyn Ingram, Jon the Beautiful, Norman Hack

Plenty of other examples for both locations and characters.
You lose the cube no matter what - Hadrian gets away and is a Godman - no resolution, just more questions & stay tuned for the next episode - Textbook cliffhanger ending. Feel free to point out what part of this is satisfying.
What's satisfying is your character's progression from a weak, clueless zoner, to a powerful and influential man who has uncovered many of the secrets of his world. You've ventured down into the Deep Caverns, a place that is teased in the beginning of the game and seems so distant/unreachable and plundered its depths with all the loot you can carry. You discovered the truth and secret behind the Faceless, what they were and who they are now, and what motivates them. You averted a cataclysmic disaster that could've ended all of humanity. If you want resolution, you can always stay behind and run SGS after Tanner's exodus, guiding the station through political turmoil towards the path that you see fit. If you perhaps want more of Underrail and it's world, you can travel North, and continue your quest. These are both types of narrative resolution that are very satisfying.

By your logic, in Fallout 1 you get kicked out of the vault no matter what, so what's the point of going through the entire game?
As opposed to the glorified fetch quest of the Cube or how to save the shitboring metro station you start in?
I'm not the one shitting on Fallout's plot though you absolute mongoloid. I critique the game for its absolutely trash gameplay. Absolute mindmelt. Don't call Underrail's main quest boring because you're just running around looking for a cube when you're literally running around looking for a water chip and a G.E.C.K in Fallout 1 and 2.
You're just kneejerk pavlovian sperging that someone dared mention anything less than positive about zoomies first iso RPG
You and the rest of the NMA rejects on this forum are the ones that sperg whenever anyone dares critique your precious game.

I also love when jaded retards like you say zoomer as if it's some sort of insult. I'm young which is why I shitpost on internet forums and fuck around in between class/work/fucking bitches. What's your excuse you absolute fucking failure? Don't be mad because I'm literally better at life than you.
LMao again, the lore is completely missable whether you know it on first playthrough or not and the writing barring a couple exceptions is no more than passable. Feel free to point out this amazing writing though, it must be bursting from the seems after all.
There are tons of examples of great writing throughout the game. All of the lore surrounding Old Biocorp, Expedition, Psi Monoliths, Oculus Mainframes, character dialogue, the lore behind the University and the Faceless. It's not missable, you're just retarded.
Fallout despite being 15 years older doesn't force you to commit genocide on every loading screen to progress, which is the whole point. Underrail isn't referred to as murderhobo simulator without reason. As far as combat the systems are basically identical, Underrail just has cringe shit like mind-lazer beams and worse animations. Again - terrible spritework despite being 15 years newer. In fact, Underrail looks a lot like Habbo Hotel. You also specifically mentioned Fallout death animations as being some sort of negative thing whereas in Underrail everyone dies with an identical animation, slipping over a banana peel.
Wow, imagine a game actually requiring you to play it. You can stealth through many parts of Underrail. Of course there are locations and quests where you have to fight if you want to proceed, but if there wasn't that would not be logically consistent in the slightest. As for the death animations, they're literally irrelevant to me. I don't have a sub triple digit IQ where some shitty sprite bending over or exploding on a screen tickles my balls enough for me to keep playing through a game where every other aspect of the game is shit.

Why is there a constant flow of these animals into this forum? Shit arguments and vague platitudes that are regurgitated by every robot that is stuck 20 years in the past.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol

hi!
Hi everyone!

I'm easily the biggest Crusader fan in the entire world... I've been playing Crusader every day since November 24, 1996... I'm serious, I've played Crusader EVERY DAY since then.

It's really rare to find a Crusader fans online, it's so great to find many on one thread!!! PLEASE message me on any of these programs, I would just love to talk about Crusader with other fans.

AIM: ZFGokuSSJ1
Yahoo: gokussj1345
MSN: krweav@hotmail.com
E-Mail: krweav@hotmail.com

I have three copies of No Remorse and two of No Regret, I clean each CD every time before and after I use 'em.... I preserve them in DVD cases using Crusader DVD covers which I made... you can find them on www.wcnews.com(Look at the day before yesterday's news)

By the way, if you have trouble running LEGAL copies of No Remorse/No Regret, I recommend you get this: http://community.the-underdogs.org/p...ks/whive12.zipIt's extremely easy to use, it's how I can play the games.

Also, how did you guys get the games to run in DOSBox??? I can't, I get the Fastflex error... I don't need to play the game in DOSBox, but I need screenshots of No Remorse... And I've never been able to find a program that works in pure-DOS mode that can take screenshots, so I have a huge favor for somebody...

Can someone take ALOT of screenshots of the game, the movies, the credits, and the menu?

What I really need are screenshots of the movies with the characters, just take ALOT of screenshots of all the movies. I would really, REALLY appreciate it.

I'm making a Crusader website called Crunore... I would love for at least ten Crusader fans to help me make the ultimate Crusader website.
Last edited by ZFGokuSSJ1; 18th Jun 2004 at 11:30.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:deathclaw:
Fallout was made by a studio unlike Underrail wich was created on a self made engine created by one guy. Above all Underrail takes a huge dump on FO when it comes to combat which was trite and shallow in FO and it was in fact by far its worst aspect apart from the death animations which became boring halfway through the game.

Lol, the fact that grown men will sit and gush about a handful of death animations, and use them to excuse an absolutely braindead combat system which has no depth or complexity is fucking hilarious to me.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh, I wouldn't say I gush about anything. I merely posted vids with as many as possible for comparison. I come from a time when text adventures were frowned upon because they weren't books. The ages of early graphics and colorful desctiptions (Stuart Smith in FRACAS explained a small point of that in his early game). Instead of hit, killed, takes xx damage, dies, etc he had some more colorful text. Gameplay would be the same with or without that.

[trimming out the OT crap]

Without spoiling too much how about a more detailed breakdown of FO vs Underrail combat.

I only played a few playthroughs of FO1 and didn't get anywhere in FO2 before jumping to something else like spreadsheets. I haven't tried Underrail. Videos only convey so much.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
FO combat devolves around getting hit chance high enough to hit shots to the eyes all the damn time and pop stimpacks once you get low. That's it. Try that in Underrail and you are dead meat. Well I guess tincan AR build can play somewhat similar to that though not all the time either.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Isn't Underrail 2 in dev atm or will there just be further DLC module installments?

I guess people can mod & patch the old fallouts but there won't be new ones done in that style.

Underrail has the possibilty to continue.

Atom will probably have future developements.

Wasteland... who knows.

I prefer comparisons among a wider range of apoc games. There are peobably others that can be tried and mastered (or finished like a one night stand).

I haven't played a post apoc game in ages (Hellgate london doesn't count). What are a few others I could tack onto the list?

Must be party, TB combat, post apoc / sci-fi.

https://stygiansoftware.com/games.html

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I have both of the Crusader games but have yet to try them. Are they still any good, despite being puzzle games, or whatever it is they are?

Valdetiosi

Scholar
FO combat devolves around getting hit chance high enough to hit shots to the eyes all the damn time and pop stimpacks once you get low. That's it. Try that in Underrail and you are dead meat. Well I guess tincan AR build can play somewhat similar to that though not all the time either.
Yeah let's ignore every other possible way to do combat, because it's outright impossible to do. We all know Sniper perk is what all gamers strive for when they play Fallout 2.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yeah let's ignore every other possible way to do combat, because it's outright impossible to do. We all know Sniper perk is what all gamers strive for when they play Fallout 2.
Sadly, only four somewhat different builds are the main meat of Fallout 2:

- eye-shooter. Nuff said
- melee/unarmed one. Different in some stats and skills, but the goal is the same: kick people in the eyes - or head
- burst one. Different stats and skills, but the goal is to get closer and spray people
- pacifist one. Nuff said

Now, the build autism of Underrail...

Harthwain

Magister
All I hear is baby man faggot has inferior eyes. I have a large monitor and I sit far away from my desk and have never had any problems with the icons. Imagine being so crippled, cope harder.
I didn't have problems with the icons (or numbers on them) when I was playing the Alpha Demo version of Underrail, but I admit that being able to adjust the size of the window (to make objects in it a bit bigger) wouldn't hurt. In fact, I can argue that the inventory screen could be bigger by default, because there is free space on screen for it (at least in 1920x1080 resolution, which is my default display).

Do not use the bullshit excuse of FO taking place in a desert to excuse its shit color scheme. Underrail isn't the most colorful game in the world, but it does a great job of mixing in different hues and tones to diversify the color palette of the game so everything doesn't look so lifeless and dry. Of course if you're going to be exploring the Upper/Lower Caves they're going to be muted in color, but there are plenty of vibrant locations in the world that also make sense thematically/logically. There is also a ton of blue and black in Underrai's cave systemsl, as much if not more than the brown.
Fallout's color scheme fits though. I never had to think about it, because to me it made sense that a radioactive wasteland of the post-apocalypse world is made up mostly of sand and rocks. But I do think the reason for that is also to save up on work. Instead of coming up with dozens of different outdoor environments you have one and can focus on other stuff to implement in your game. However, there are also ruined cities and industrial complexes (not sure how to name it better) made up of concrete or metal, so there is some variety that - again - makes sense in the game's world. For an old game it holds up pretty good.

As for Underrail - it looks very clean, the color palette is larger (while also making sense) and it gets a lot of extra points from me for pixel art, because I am a fan of it. If you are not the fan of pixel art, then I guess I can understand not liking Underrail's art style as much.

Literal boomer Fallout fanboy has the audacity to complain about another games fanbase? Absolutely hilarious. I love how you ignore my very valid critique of Fallout's shit inventory because you can't deny its validity. Fallout's UI is shit for other reasons as well, but I can see it's not worth typing out.
I don't understand why there has to be some sort of competition between people who enjoy Fallout and Underrail. I enjoyed Fallout games (including Fallout Tactics) and during the brief time I've played Underrail I felt like it had some of the spirit of Fallout in it. The main reason I didn't bought it back then was because I had a lot of other stuff to play at the time, but now I think I'll buy the game when it goes on sale.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
My only attempt on Crusader No Remorse and No Regret was on an old 486 dos computer. I could barely run them but I liked what I saw. Or lordy at times it'd drop to 0-5 fps. Soooo slow. I spent months just to finish the first game due to slow speed. I haven't fired up the GoG versions. You could probably play with a gamepad tbh.

Sykar

Arcane

To "do" combat? Are you joking? What else can you do apart from avoidance which is available in Underrail as well? Yeah you can fast shot and burst which changes jack shit overall except for effective range and ammo consumption but on a tactical level it is just as brain dead. Sorry to burst your bubble but combat in FO is one of if not flat out the shallowest in every cRPG available.

Sadly, only four somewhat different builds are the main meat of Fallout 2:

- eye-shooter. Nuff said
- melee/unarmed one. Different in some stats and skills, but the goal is the same: kick people in the eyes - or head
- burst one. Different stats and skills, but the goal is to get closer and spray people
- pacifist one. Nuff said

Now, the build autism of Underrail...

The different build types are just different flavors which utilize the same shit, use your most effective attack, spam stimpacks when low, done. Also skills while nice and all are severly unbalanced since the 3 winners are small arms, speech and lockpick. Everything else is a clear notch below. Same with traits where Gifted reigns supreme and is boderline broken. Attributes are straight broken with Charisma being safely dumpable in basically every build and even Endurance, except no reload shenanningangs, and Luck can be opted out of in many builds. The two big winners are agility and intelligence which are rarely below 9/10 outside of something specific like retard playthough.

jackofshadows

Magister
I didn't have problems with the icons (or numbers on them) when I was playing the Alpha Demo version of Underrail, but I admit that being able to adjust the size of the window (to make objects in it a bit bigger) wouldn't hurt. In fact, I can argue that the inventory screen could be bigger by default, because there is free space on screen for it (at least in 1920x1080 resolution, which is my default display).
Yeah, even if UI is scalable for quite some time now it mostly about fonts, not icons. Never had a problem with it myself though, even on release.
I don't understand why there has to be some sort of competition between people who enjoy Fallout and Underrail.
Some low effort troll came to shit on Underral and for some reason it worked.
Luck can be opted out of in many builds.
In the eye-shooter/non combat ones, otherwise you need it. Nevertheless stat values are insanely lopsided. By the way, it's funny how guys from AtomTeam made it even worse by allowing player to immensly buff END/CHAR and people were like "what an awesome system".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom