Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There should be a mod that uses an old version of DF and only adds selective changes to the game. When I look at DF today and back then, it lost quite a bit of charm.

Yeah. I just want to have a fun fortress experience, I don't need all the unnecessary chaff around it.

Shit really started going downhill when the game went "3D".

So you guys want Tarn Adams to give up on his ultimate simulation game that can procedurally simulate Middle Earth or Westeros or Urf or whatever, just to make some fortress game? :retarded:

Incantatar

Cipher
So you guys want Tarn Adams to give up on his ultimate simulation game that can procedurally simulate Middle Earth or Westeros or Urf or whatever, just to make some fortress game? :retarded:
Dwarves are literal queer emos since a couple of years. Everyone became a fucking noble and the simulation moved more in the direction of the Sims instead of a Tolkien sim.

Humbaba

Arcane
Dwarves are literal queer emos since a couple of years. Everyone became a fucking noble and the simulation moved more in the direction of the Sims instead of a Tolkien sim.

The whole psychology aspect is truly and thoroughly fucked and should be removed just like the economy was. I can never live out my dream of experiencing several decades of in-game history because after 6 years or so at the latest some dumbass gets haggard at which point he might as well have cancer because that shit is basically incurable. It wouldn't be such a problem if those naggers wouldn't regularly chimp out and beat the shit out of everyone within arms reach, causing tantrum spirals.

This happens to everyone potentially, assuming enough time passes. It is every single dwarf's fate to lose their marbles and die. Worst thing is, it happens most often to those, who you would think would be the most stress resistant. A mayor for example is specifically elected for his leadership skills, implying that he should be able to handle the stress of ruling. A necromancer should feel fuck all in the first place considering he has mastered death. Realising the futility of my efforts to keep my dwarfs happy, I turned them all into vampires. Only after that, they became unable to drink booze while still being alcoholics, which is the most bullshit bug ever. And it IS a bug not a feature. We know this for a fact, because the motherfuckers will still drink if it is served to them at a bar. And even then they still mope. One time, one of my vamp-dwarfs threw a tantrum and caused a brawl in the hospital which somehow ended with literally 2/3 of the population being injured. I savescummed. In conclusion, not even undeath protects from inevitable madness.

I think Toader should shift the focus away from playing psychiatrist to making fortress building and managing more interesting. He could start by finally implementing light sources and reinstating the economy. Some meaningful political and socioeconomic additions would also be nice because at this point, no fortress ever evolves beyond the point of being a glorified shopping mall and warehouse. Also waiting for the piss and shit update. Building an efficient sewage system sounds like a nice challenge. But no, we gotta have wizards first :roll:.

Incantatar

Cipher
I think Toader should shift the focus away from playing psychiatrist to making fortress building and managing more interesting. He could start by finally implementing light sources and reinstating the economy. Some meaningful political and socioeconomic additions would also be nice because at this point, no fortress ever evolves beyond the point of being a glorified shopping mall and warehouse. Also waiting for the piss and shit update. Building an efficient sewage system sounds like a nice challenge. But no, we gotta have wizards first :roll:.
Don't forget FPS death which is depressing enough, creeping into the game the further you go with it. Economy pisses me off too. There is trading and it is completely broken since day 1, with shit like prepared meals or glass traps selling for millions. Never ever fixed, since over a decade... Would that be so hard to fix? Or the bonkers bins and barrels OR the broken stockpile settings. Arghh.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I can never live out my dream of experiencing several decades of in-game history because after 6 years or so at the latest some dumbass gets haggard at which point he might as well have cancer because that shit is basically incurable.
Stress was mostly fixed in latest versions, for example my current fort is nearly 4 years old and only 1 out of 160+ dorfs is slightly miserable (1st stage of stress), while 40+ dudes are happy.

You guys can't really judge it in terms of challenge, etc right now, because it's in the middle of development. How do you think any game would be at that point? It's just DF has a much longer development cycle (roughly around 30 years). So we are mostly dealing with incomplete or missing systems and gameplay loops.

covr

Prophet
Patron
But the game was perfectly playable and enjoyably challenging around 8 years ago!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Sad.

Why did people ever think this game was "hard"? It's just a citybuilder with more complex characters. It only gives the illusion of being hard because losing can be very volatile and there's no hard-coded "win" condition, so you will always lose. And because the UI is crap.

If you think that the old stress mechanics were intended design I don't know what to tell you. Dwarves getting rained on and being destroyed from the inside out by this traumatic memory for the rest of their lives sounds like either a bug or bad implementation. Especially when this behaviour is hardcoded and still affects you even if you mod the fort race to be humans, or elves, who both shouldn't care (especially the latter).

FFS, Dwarf Fortress is not a city builder, for the thousandth time. I think this is why you people struggle to understand its development process. The city building thing was just the first thing they rolled out, but it is a tiny part of the whole game.

DF is a fantasy world simulator. It procedurally generates a fantasy world that could be like Middle Earth on one run, Westeros in another, and so on. And then you can play many different games in that world, from playing as a hero, a villain, a dwarf settlement, or whatever else. Each game contributing to the world's history, making it richer for future games. I suspect RPG-type single characters games will eventually be the most popular and common.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why did people ever think this game was "hard"? It's just a citybuilder with more complex characters. It only gives the illusion of being hard because losing can be very volatile and there's no hard-coded "win" condition, so you will always lose. And because the UI is crap.
I haven't played all that many city building games, but I was generally under the impression that most didn't have a real win condition. Or at least a campaign and a sandbox mode. DF as it is, is just the sandbox mode.

I haven't played all that many city building games, but I was generally under the impression that most didn't have a real win condition. Or at least a campaign and a sandbox mode. DF as it is, is just the sandbox mode.
I guess that is generally the nature of a sandbox. It usually only ends when you decide it does, because they tend to be pretty easy once you figure out how they work. Dwarf Fortress isn't really any different in that regard, but it does have a lot of volatile scenarios where the game will just drop something in your lap that you couldn't really prepare for. And the UI is bad, which doesn't help in dealing with a crisis.

Perkel

Arcane
I will consider it to not be just a citybuilder when the other gameplay you have described actually exists.

It is called adventure mode and it exists. It is also fairly expansive. Hell with some mods you can actually build in it make a party of people etc and go after those titans.

If fortress mode is hard to understrand then adv mode is like 100 times harder though.

Source played a bit adv mode.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think that's true depending on how you define it. You've got a potentially limitless open-world, its just all procedurally generated. That's great for outside, but not so great for interiors, quests and anything else that involves sentients. As a result, the last time I played there was a feeling that nothing really mattered in that mode. Plus there were the boogeymen, which put a damper on the whole wandering around bit. I do think its cool that the game recognizes if all the sentients are dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom