Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Terenty

Liturgist
Everything is clear now, the devs themselves are fucking pansies with no patience. Can you actually expect any challenge from these people?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Uhhh ... do you not know what the blaxploitation genre is? Please educate yourself before acting like an authority on the subject.

Did I write that? No, so learn to read etc.

I stand by every word I said about the forgettable music, and the orthography you're using is so cucky and beta incel, I don't even.

Of course it's the same as on wikipedia, but see above about cucks and beta incels.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uhhh ... do you not know what the blaxploitation genre is? Please educate yourself before acting like an authority on the subject.
Did I write that? No, so learn to read etc.
I stand by every word I said about the forgettable music, and the orthography you're using is so cucky and beta incel, I don't even.
Of course it's the same as on wikipedia, but see above about cucks and beta incels.
Jesus christ. Your ignorance can be excused as you're clearly too young to know the genre, but your arrogance is unbecoming. Flatly put, if you don't even know the word, you weren't there, so shut the fuck up.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Jesus christ. Your ignorance can be excused as you're clearly too young to know the genre, but your arrogance is unbecoming. Flatly put, if you don't even know the word, you weren't there, so shut the fuck up.

Are you trying to say that your nerd-credit is higher than mine?

Nigga, you seen one blacksploitation movie, you've seen them all and the only ones that are worth a damn, are the ones making fun of the genre for being fucking stupid.

That doesn't change the fact that the music has nothing to do with the genre, and you may like the music and whatever, common taste being what it is - but it's the wrong genre and the wrong chronicity.

You can like it, and I don't blame you for it, but you're going have to take the heat, because it is mediocre modern shit. So stop whining, and go buy the soundtrack. You'll never convince me that this isn't shit.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, there was an invader joining when I was at Aleksis' party.

Was crawling up the roofs, stabbing people.

Saw her, panicked cuz I don't want to lose the Karnesis upgrade.

Lost her on the way out, back to escaping and stabbing people again.

Stabbed one dude, I fucking died. No idea how, then I noticed green smoke thingy on my screen.

She had applied Nexus on me and that dude just 0.5 secs before I stabbed him.

absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png
absolutelyharam.png

toughasnails

Everything is clear now, the devs themselves are fucking pansies with no patience. Can you actually expect any challenge from these people?
IMO if Dark Souls 3 was the first Souls game for those guys it is perfectly reasonable that they'd be frustrated. Bc it likely has the most frustrating beginning of all the Souls games and the hardest first boss if you're playing without pyromancies. Especially when the boss mutates into giant abomination and the shitty camera kicks in.
The first area after the hub, the fortress walls or how it was called, was also hard af compared to early areas of other Souls games.

abija

Prophet
No, there's no excuse if their work has anything to do with gameplay. If their work doesn't involve gameplay should have just told their boss to go fuck himself.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Getting this thread back on track:

I'm still playing this. I definitely could have beaten it by now (things kinda became apparent on the correct order of things by the fourth loop or so) but I've gone over things a couple of times different ways to see any differences, and ended up following something for basically an entire loop that lead nowhere - grinding that autistic scouring of the map side content that I always find a way to with Arkane games. The game isn't unpleasant enough to play that I want to force myself to rush through it or anything. Single player is still easy and you basically have to play like an extremely retarded smoothbrain for any semblance of challenge to rear its head, even on Updaam Night after blowing Fristad Rock sky high the enemies weren't really a problem at all for me. I ended up aggroing every single enemy in Alexis' mansion (like 30 in total or something) and they just funnel into one doorway while you aim at head level lol.

As others mentioned previously any weapon that is silenced is overpowered as fuck versus the AI, you can casually just stroll through entire maps clicking heads and even the Silenced SMG has a moderate range, it doesn't feel like there's a reason to use the loud as fuck sniper rifles, shotguns or machineguns that alert everyone nearby when you can 1 bullet headshot every enemy except the Visionaries with the Silenced SMG. Even the Machete becomes obsolete versus the AI as soon as you have any Silenced weapon, you will never ever use the Machete again, at least shotguns and machineguns can get some use if you get lazy and bored and end up alerting half of the level. The Silenced Pistol is also great but... I don't see why you would use it over the Silenced SMG? The SMG holds more bullets and still one shots to the head, they are both totally silent and not able to be heard by enemies right beside you and they seem to have a very similar maximum range in my experience. Once you have the Silenced SMG and you've saved it to your inventory with residuum it will never leave your loadout.

Julianna encounters with online turned off are just more of that prime cut AI, the difference is so huge that I'm totally convinced that my previous statement about Arkane planning on having other players be the difficulty spike in their levels is absolutely true. Even if it wasn't a laggy garbage piece of shit where people just set up turrets, mines and blink at you with a machete for a free kill it would still be 10x harder than a normal encounter with the Julianna AI. I have continued playing as Julianna online while playing Colt offline and even though playing as Colt is braindead easy at times I do not regret turning the online off at all. As soon as someone who isn't a smoothbrain gets behind the controls of Julianna and knows how to play with their inherent defender's bias and actually take advantage of it while abusing all the power fantasy elements / one-hit machete lag warp it's a cakewalk, it is absolutely not balanced at all, or it was balanced but around playstation controller gamers who are basically as good as the bad AI.

While I play as Julianna I put myself in their shoes and just think about how fucking cancerous I am being to their progress, even if I get 2 kills instead of 3 that means if they slip up on the enemies or platforming over the ice (black man can't swim) afterwards they're getting looped. The amount of time it takes to progress as Julianna and get really good weapons is also way, way shorter than playing as Colt, and seeing as most Colts you will be invading are new players who haven't turned off the online yet you're just going to shitstomp them while they struggle with their grey SMG versus your full purple kit (doesn't seem like there is any matchmaking whatsoever to balance this stuff out, game is too starved for players to warrant matchmaking, queueing as Julianna can take like 10-15 minutes sometimes).

Comparing this pvp to Dark Souls is so fucking disingenuous it makes me want to cry. Dark Souls' combat is extremely slow compared to this. In Dark Souls you don't have to deal with people having Arkane power fantasy immersive sim magic powers teleporting beside you and getting a literal one shot machete on you, and you don't have to deal with the invader setting up a turret farm and abusing mines in a cluttered map where it's hard to see them like they're playing Technician in Tribes: Ascend or something. The only similarity is that you invade someone's single player game, the comparisons end there, it is absolutely surface level.

The gameplay is basically Dishonored but without non-lethal (and thus an enhanced focus on lethal) and with elements of Prey Mooncrash, which is fine. The power fantasy easy mode stuff as always with Arkane games outweighs the tension. If the game is on sale in the future I'd recommend it at maybe half price, knowing full well that the online will be dead by then because I cannot see the people playing as Colt just trying to progress not getting cancer playing vs a good Julianna. There is still plenty to see and do, it looks nice, sounds nice, the gunplay is actually quite good and punchy. The level design is pretty good, standard Arkane stuff at this point, though there is only four levels with different time of day permutations. I actually like the storytelling and the characters, it can be quite funny at times but there are definitely also some reddit humor rick and morty tier moments in there too.

I'm here to farm Informative ratings.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Finished it today after 31.2 hours according to Steam.

Game's fun, and the whole "time loop" concept is certainly interesting and with its fun moments, but it's no Dishonored. I mean, its gameplay is basically catering to the crowd that slaughtered everyone in Dishonored because "Stealth is teh hard" and then cried because they got the high chaos/bad ending. Here the game actually encourages you to murder everyone, and Stealth is mostly utilized in order to get you to a proper vantage point from where you can murder everyone more efficiently.

The actual ending(s) was bad, I think. Ultra-short and abrupt. It's like the whole game is building up to something and then... you get a 5-second cutscene, 3 lines of dialogue, and roll credits.

I'll probably keep playing for another 5-10 hours just to explore everything and try to hunt achievements, and then replay Dishonored 2 as Corvo, the way it's meant to be played.

Ash

Arcane
Not buying. All of dinga's talk about the benefits of restrictive saving is (almost) completely moot when your game is piss-easy. Very unwise, and very Arkane. Oh well.

Also lol at the games they play in the office. Bro do you even game?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Not buying. All of dinga's talk about the benefits of restrictive saving is (almost) completely moot when your game is piss-easy. Very unwise, and very Arkane. Oh well.

Also lol at the games they play in the office. Bro do you even game?

Yeah. This is the first Arkane game I skip.

Dishonored and Prey had moments of greatness while this one is just one big pile of derivative shit.

Ash

Arcane
Dishonored had moments of greatness

You're making me want to give Deathloop a try. Surely it is better than Dishonored. Now THAT was a pile of derivative shit. The only unique thing in the entire game was blink...and whale fuel. Surely Deathloop isn't as bland, boring and piss easy as Dish. Kinda curious.

Off topic: I know it is "natural" in the business world, but it is kind of disgusting how Raf gets pushed out and Arkane and Co. just continues on as if nothing happened, hell, worse even by stepping away from its immersive sim roots. Gross.
Not that Arkane can do anything about it really...sink or swim.

Game's fun, and the whole "time loop" concept is certainly interesting and with its fun moments, but it's no Dishonored.

What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Dishonored is one of Arkane's worst. Stealth is hard? in Dishonored? What the fuck...Bro, do you even game? I know you're mocking other's views on stealth, but it makes no sense because stealth in dishonored is modern stealth, as in not hard at all. Blink/quicksave/indicators above everyone's head/see through walls/slow down time....Who would or has ever said "stealth is teh hard" in the context of Dish? More like fucking boring. though the combat style is too so whatever.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Dishonored is one of Arkane's worst. Stealth is hard? in Dishonored? What the fuck...Bro, do you even game? I know you're mocking other's views on stealth, but it makes no sense because stealth is dishonored is modern stealth, as in not hard at all.

It doesn't really matter in this case that you consider Dishonored's stealth to be "modern stealth", it still entails "not killing people in order to get the good ending" and that is enough to brand this game as a stealth game in most peoples' eyes, and apparently this is a bad thing. Go read random comments under everything Dishonored-related in mainstream outlets around the internet. The general consensus among your average everyday gamers remains "the game had such kewl ways to murder people but then makes you play non-violently lol, worst game ever" to this day.

Apart from that, I enjoyed Dishonored 1+2 immensely as an homage to the Thief games. I played them as close to the Thief experience as possible (ie not even using the superpowers you mentioned - bro do you even game?) and the overall experience was great as far as I'm concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom