Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah,but ck3 is pretty boring outside of it.
Eh, it has a solid foundation. We'll see how it'll shape up down the line. I'm looking forward to Royal Court personally, particularly for the culture stuff. Dunno if it'll be enough to keep me playing though.

You'll be disappointed bud. The way it's being presented is that it's not even one quarter of what was in CK2 Conclave. Their dev diaries on Steam are getting brutal feedback.

Vatnik Wumao
You'll be disappointed bud. The way it's being presented is that it's not even one quarter of what was in CK2 Conclave.
I'm content with what it is (and mostly indifferent to the court mechanics, reintroduction of honorary titles aside; although that might change depending on how meaty it'll be). :M

Don't expect too much from Paradox and you won't be disappointed.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You'll be disappointed bud. The way it's being presented is that it's not even one quarter of what was in CK2 Conclave.
I'm content with what it is (and mostly indifferent to the court mechanics, reintroduction of honorary titles aside; although that might change depending on how meaty it'll be). :M

Too true.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,but ck3 is pretty boring outside of it.
Eh, it has a solid foundation. We'll see how it'll shape up down the line. I'm looking forward to Royal Court personally, particularly for the culture stuff. Dunno if it'll be enough to keep me playing though.
Not really,it have very bare bones foundations. Also because of their no dlc shit,they will need like 10-15 years to get to the level of ck2. It has been like a year since release and the best they could do is half arsed copy of a few mechanics from ck2 lol. It is dead,Jim.

Ahh fair enough.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I've been playing quite a bit of Anbennar and I've been having quite a bit of fun even if the content is very heavily weighted towards the early game. Some of the focus trees are kind of ridiculous though. I played a game as the Jaddari and managed to form the Jaddari empire by the 1530s and was quite pleased with myself and then realized that I had just unlocked an expanded focus tree 4 times as long as the one I had been going through with the final mission requiring your empire to have a development of >20k...

I took a break after that and went back to regular eu4 and started a game as England. By the time I had scouted a good bit of North America and established two colonial nations (a bit before 1500) I noticed that the entirety of North America east of the Rockies had been colonised by the natives making the continent look like the fucking HRE but with a higher average development.. wtf?

Vatnik Wumao
Cursed timeline:
iEPGUO1.png

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Blessed timeline:
SJ3nLA2.png

xAxbigU.png

But anyhow, I would not recommend playing the game yet in its post-Leviathan state since you still end up with the New World looking like this:
YcIhegS.png

It is fine if you don't play in the Americas or western Europe..

Vatnik Wumao
It sort of is, but it still affects the balance of powers that would form in the late game. (Although, to be fair, it's not like the colonial powers don't colonize at all now, they just don't have the same sort of massive colonies in North America. South America seems to be fine.)

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It sort of is, but it still affects the balance of powers that would form in the late game. (Although, to be fair, it's not like the colonial powers don't colonize at all now, they just don't have the same sort of massive colonies in North America. South America seems to be fine.)

That is true but I rarely if ever get to the actual late game and from the stats I've seen most games last until like 1650s at most.

This is not to say that this isn't a big issue, it is. The most interesting game is in Europe and fucking up the balance there is massive.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, Leviathan still isn't fixed, I presume?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So, Leviathan still isn't fixed, I presume?

It is not and at this point I don't think they will fix it.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tried the Burmese "VH" achievement "The First Toungoo Empire".

20210920190345-1.jpg

UbxPAr9.png

Turns out this wasn't hard at all and i did it without any issue on my literal first try without any preparation. You just ally Lan Xang in the start, improve relationship with Ayutthaya and then ally them as well and then just conquer Burma. You dont have to care about AE at all since you are allied to the only two big nations that can get any meaningful AE from your conquest. No idea why this was listed as very hard.

I also did Shahshanah and Frozen assets recently and both were fun. Frozen assets was a bit better overall though. Breaking Muscovy and then racing the English channel for highest trade value before new world colonization was fun.
bild.png

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Started another game as Muscovy to recuperate from the Dithmarschen ordeal of turning a one-province state into a Great Power.

Allied with Poland this time and together we have been kicking ass and chewing bubblegum. And they haven't called me even once for their own wars in 50 years.

Now Lithuania managed to split off from Poland which is a golden opportunity to skoop up some Orthodox lands.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've been wanting to get back to EUIV, as I've never ran it on this Laptop - it ran fine on my previous one so I assume it will run swimmingly on this one.
However, the game seems to be kind of a mess right now

I deactivated Leviathan and that works just fine. I still kind of prefer the old estates system prior to version 1.28.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I've been wanting to get back to EUIV, as I've never ran it on this Laptop - it ran fine on my previous one so I assume it will run swimmingly on this one.
However, the game seems to be kind of a mess right now

Unless you're interested in specifically the new content I would suggest playing on 1.30.6.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
But anyhow, I would not recommend playing the game yet in its post-Leviathan state since you still end up with the New World looking like this:
YcIhegS.png
Not sure what you're saying the problem is.

The issue is that practically the entire north American continent is colonised by the natives which could be a fine way of representing things but the game isn't remotely designed or balanced around that.

The end result is that the AI generally can't colonise North America any more, screwing up economy and power dynamics in Europe, and you as the player can easily have colonial nations spanning the entir continent by 1550 with development equal to or surpassing continental Europe.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Just make colonial nation AI more aggressive and enable declaring wars for them against natives. They should declare wars against natives if they have superior power, and when not, they should ask overlord for help when declaring.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Just make colonial nation AI more aggressive and enable declaring wars for them against natives. They should declare wars against natives if they have superior power, and when not, they should ask overlord for help when declaring.

That doesn't solve the issue of the speed of colonisation or the development of the provinces. What needs to happen is that the system for native colonisation, development and tribal land need to change.

The most simple and immediate fix would be to make it impossible to conquer tribal land, since that seems more like a bug than an intended feature, but it's been like 6 months since the last patch so it doesn't really seem like Paradox cares about trivial fixes to major issues with core systems.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The best timeline:

Image1.png

Ottomans attacked Croatia who was defended by Austria and Papal State. Then Russia and Poland attacked Ottomans during that war and took Constaninople, while Mamluks joined the fun and started a third war against Ottomans at the same time.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Last time ive played russia ive snatched relentless push east achievement. When i will have more time im thinking doing the novogrod trade node achievement. Seems really hard, basically conquer all of asia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom