Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News THQ Nordic 10th Anniversary Showcase: Expeditions: Rome & ELEX II

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: ELEX II; Expeditions: Rome; Jonas Wæver; Logic Artists; Piranha Bytes; THQ Nordic

THQ Nordic were puzzlingly absent from Gamescom this year. It turns out their plan was to broadcast their own showcase event for the company's 10th anniversary, hosted by the apparently obligatory Geoff Keighley. In addition to the announcement of Jagged Alliance 3 so eagerly covered by my colleague Darth Roxor, the showcase also featured two games of Codexian interest that were already announced earlier this year. Expeditions: Rome received a new dev diary-style "showcase trailer" which is basically an overview of all the details revealed about the game thus far, along with a few that haven't. This was followed soon afterwards by the highly anticipated trailer for ELEX II, which turned out to be yet another cinematic story trailer. Apparently Jax has a new voice actor and now nobody believes him that the Reapers Skyanides are coming.

Disappointingly, THQ Nordic weren't ready to announce a release date for either one of these games. Rome is supposed to be out this year, so I wonder what they're waiting for.

Skdursh

Savant
Jax is looking even more downsy than he did originally. I'll definitely be wearing a helmet most of the game. Don't want his goofy-ass face ruining my premium Eurojank experience.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just recently played and finished Expeditions: Vikings for the first time and I really enjoyed it. I hope they manage to make a good game again. From the trailer I am not fan of the graphics, they seem a bit too shiny.

The armies combat might be cool, looks much better than what Pathfinder 2 has.

Shin

Cipher
Holy shit that Elex II video is bad.

It is. For comparison look at a similar trailer for Elex:

I think that was a much better trailer (although I'm not a fan of the music). It's probably the lack of Jax unconvincingly whining about "WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING AND SAVE THE WORLD" that makes me prefer it over this new trailer. But to be fair; story (CGI) trailers sucks 95% of the time.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that was a much better trailer (although I'm not a fan of the music). It's prrobably the lacks of Jax unconvincingly whining about "WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING AND SAVE THE WORLD" that makes me prefer it over this new trailer. But to be fair; story (CGI) trailers sucks 95% of the time.
Exactly.
It's a story trailer with terrible music. Pretty much the same as for the first game.

The only difference is Jax doing a hero performance, which is :lol:

If that means there will be some thick cheese together with the jank, I'll only want it more.

Humanophage

Arcane
I'm currently playing ELEX for the first time. It's rather nice. Excellent exploration, solid difficulty with well-distributed enemies, makes you do inventive things, interesting skill progression, Gothic-like hierarchy climbing. The jetpack is a top-notch addition. Also looks great in the sense that the landscapes don't feel like pointless decoration behind a bunch of invisible walls and inane restrictions, so you pay attention to them.

The trailer, obviously, has little to do with any of ELEX's advantages. But at least the trailer showcases a pleasant absence of SJWism. It could have rap music, a bunch of blacks, a tranny, etc. You know how it goes these days. Piranha Bytes are actually improving in this respect because the Gothic games used to have a bunch of Indian-looking folks, whereas ELEX keeps it nicely white - and that in a futuristic setting that involves a gangsta faction. The SJW-iest thing in ELEX so far are the strong wombyn, and even then it comments that some of them overcame the 'chauvinistic culture of the Outlaws' or some such. It's a rather reasonable setting.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Jax is looking even more downsy than he did originally. I'll definitely be wearing a helmet most of the game. Don't want his goofy-ass face ruining my premium Eurojank experience.

He looks like that supersayajindrunk russian coal miner who got famous for videobombing a television interview.

Turbo normie

Scholar
Oh god the Elex trailer. It's so cheesy. I can't believe codexers will glorify this fucking shit.

The dialogue near the craddle for fuck sake... Dragon Age: Cisquisition and Mass Effect: Andorgyna look well written compared to this.

Alter Sack

Magister
It seems like they will keep true to themselves and bother us again with STRROONG sword swinging female legionnaires.

Do they still think they can win a prize with that?

Oh boy, I hope they don't get into trouble because they ignore the other fifty genders.

Can you at least choose your pronouns?

Veni, vidi, vomiti

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Ex:Rome combat camera angle is too low, will be annoying if you can't change it from that (if that is even the actual camera angle and not a trailer specific one). The game music in Viking was great hope that trend continues in Rome as well.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Expeditions: Rome looks pretty sweet, though I still wish they could have swung for a different angle at classical antiquity than the Romans. I wanted to see Expeditions: Persian Expedition.

Meh about Elex II. I'm sure there's good eurojank, but I have yet to experience it. The only action RPGs I've been able to tolerate enough to enjoy are Japanese ones.

Irgsarzh

Novice
image-2021-09-21-142943.png

Ex:Rome combat camera angle is too low, will be annoying if you can't change it from that (if that is even the actual camera angle and not a trailer specific one). The game music in Viking was great hope that trend continues in Rome as well.
couldn't you change it in vikings? I recall you could..maybe I am not remembering right

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried playing Elex, and imagine my surprise when I found out it was a shitty stuttering third person walking simulator. The fact that Codexers will rave about the game is beyond me. Must be the same crowd that enjoyed FO:NV. The Expedition game looks pozzed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom