Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did he already review Wrath: Aeon of Ruin?

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
I guess he doesn't play mods. Maybe he's just lazy... collects to patreon $$$ and lazily puts out a vid here and there. The passion is gone. Dunno.
He does, he's said he only did a Blood mod because people didn't shut up about it, as he can do criticism for games he already likes and he doesn't want to be harsh on free stuff that fans that aren't professionals made, he says it feels like it would make him feel like a bigger dick than usual.

Hence, he lets mods go and focuses more on professional stuff...unless people annoy the crap out of him until he submits, it worked for Blood:Death Wish after all.

Caim

Arcane
He did call Death Wish the real Blood 2, which is high praise. I don't think there's a lot of mods that surpass their original that far.

DermottCavesIn

Literate
I'm pretty new to watching Gman and Civvie, and kept seeing the hate for Gman over Civvie, and now both of them, and found this thread. So Hello.

God damn, I probably shouldn't have done this and slightly ruin watching their content for me. Gman I'm already meh about because after watching a few vids and seeing the criticism (such as the infamous Blood FS and Doom Unity iirc), I already dropped off.
With Civvie though I definitely enjoy the in-jokes and bits of lore, like Katie, Ominipotent Keeper of the Universe John Carmack, and so on. Seeing that he's not this perfect guy isn't surprising, but I still think he's brilliant and one of the best youtubers to keep watching.
Yes Civvie and Gman are 'sjw' or 'political' but before this through my binge I didn't notice it, especially with Civvie, through the content. I did notice Gman's incessant bootlicking for a while. Overall, couldn't care for their politics as long as its not incessant and throughout every video. There's plenty of youtubers I know, watch or have watched, that I easily notice the politics and such, but with both of them I don't notice it right now.

I know Gman is getting better and he is, and Civvie is not as funny or as quality as he might have used to be, but there's still a lot of points being made that are fair and good with Civvie. Gman, well he's just like doing first impressions of games and for mindless boomer content it's fine.
I did see that Civvie has vids for Halloween, so I can excuse the not as good videos for now, if the Halloween vids are banger and quality.
I know there are better youtubers than them, but that's just how it is, there's always someone better. I do think they are still worth watching for their own reasons, Gman for mindless gameplay vids and Civvie for a generally fair review. There's great youtubers to watch too like LGR, Decino and DoomKid, but the main 2 are fine enough.

Lastly, I'm obviously not the arbitor of the truth here. I'm all new to this space, only really getting into the boomer shooters with Doom and Wolf3d back 2 years ago, and this wider community for multiplayer, mods, and so on really just in 2021 and the last month.
I'm also not looking to start some argument or debate, just a standard discussion. I don't know enough and I will know in due time. Just thought I'd make this clear since we have 2 contentious figures in this space and slight politics mentioned.

Silentstorm

Learned
Maybe he's just played the games he really cares about FPS wise and should move to other genres instead?

Also, he never pretended to not be leftist, there is one character all about mocking the alt-right with Cancer Mouse.

Maybe it's just a thing with someone finding a niche, filling it and being afraid that leaving it will make fans go away which is why Blade Runner was like the only adventure game video he did.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People who can't take the odd political jab in 30+ minute long YouTube videos really need to get their blood pressure checked.
As long as it isn't some non-stop high-cringe preaching - who cares?
Likewise, who cares what level of stink someone raises on Twitter when it isn't reflected in their work?

Maybe it's just a thing with someone finding a niche, filling it and being afraid that leaving it will make fans go away which is why Blade Runner was like the only adventure game video he did.
That's mostly it, yes.
People gain followers for a reason.
If those followers no longer find what they came for, they WILL leave. Twitch and YouTube (and all the alternatives) are the same in this regard.

Now, how many people follow Civvie because of his style of making videos vs how many follow him because they only want to see classic FPS? Hard to say, but I'd take a bet the first group is MUCH larger.
Civvie could cover city builders and I'd still watch it as long as the style itself doesn't change (though admittedly more linear games make more sense for him).

GreyViper

Prophet
I still get PTSD from Hexen hub level as soon as the doors open and the chaos serpents waltz out. Strangely I found Hexen 2 more boring than the first one, so go figure. I kind of wish one could play these was with AEONS OF DEATH mod.

DermottCavesIn

Literate
People gain followers for a reason.
If those followers no longer find what they came for, they WILL leave. Twitch and YouTube (and all the alternatives) are the same in this regard.
This is completely true. Team Fortress 2 is one of those games that people get massacred for if they don't keep doing TF2 content. I've seen many a youtuber basically die because they wanted to look at other games or other content, the rare youtuber like Jerma or RTGame make it out alive and prosper more than ever. Other than something like CS:GO and Nintendo games, I don't see it happen much anywhere else. I could be wrong, could just be I wasn't as invested in those other games. Except for a few more examples, that's pretty much it.

I do think that he's trapped atm. He's the boomer shooter guy, I found out about him because of that. He's trapped and while the boomer shooter renaissance is great for the channel, he easily wants to do more. We the vocal few would be fine with him changing it up, but you can't help him being worried af that him changing course would do worse for his channel. I know there's channels that die off after changing course, but as long as he keeps the in-jokes/lore in and carries it over well to other kinds of games, he'll be fine in my eyes. Yeah it's rocky at the start, but eventually growing out the audience usually works better. Growth in business is almost always a risk when you're a small business, but just pushing on and doubling down on it usually works out. He's got the quality content that can apply to pretty much any game genre.

I think the AVGN comparison is apt, but while there's a lot that shit on him unrightfully so just for having Screenwave do the brunt work, he can't really expand his content. I don't think it's that he's scared that much, but his passion is in filmmaking and that's a huge risk to leave the comfort of a good salary to work on something you love in a very gatekept industry. He's got a family to feed, he's got a band now, writing a book, and so on. I think he would really want to go for something more, but he's restrained to his settled down life now. I feel real bad for James for just living his life, and not able to risk it all for what he loves and gets shit on not taking those risks. I fully bet if he tried to make it in Hollywood, the stigma of Youtube would be something too strong in his identity to rub off and he'd be looked down on and unsuccessful and it being out of his control.

Point is, I don't think Civvie will turn out like AVGN anytime soon. He's got plenty of juice in his style to make any kind of gaming video he wants, possibly could even translate well to film or show reviews.

toughasnails

I enjoy Civvie for his style as much as anything. The visuals, the characters, the tone, all of it reminds me of the vintage Spoony and the glory days of Channel Awesome. It's the sort of stuff I'd be binging on 10 or more years ago. So it is very nostalgic and throwback sort of thing that evokes let's say the more innocent days of online commentaries, critiques and so on.

Silentstorm

Learned
I can see him doing adventure games and platformers, part of one Duke Nukem video was talking about the first few games and implying a Mahattan Project video, and he did review Wario Land for the Virtual Boy, granted, in an April Fool's episode, but still a concrete review:

Also, doing a search for Civvie Wario reveals another gag video saying he played a GTA 6 beta...when it's just one of the Yakuza games...so he does play something other than old FPS games and boomer shooters, he just got too stuck at the niche where the only acceptable way of getting out is doing a Postal video, maybe Pro Ion Fury, Pro Amid Evil and other more modern FPS games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still wish Hatred hit GOG as I enjoyed classic Postal. I used to watch a lot of the brutal doom videos by the two brothers but after a while I got bored with it.

A horse of course

I still wish Hatred hit GOG as I enjoyed classic Postal. I used to watch a lot of the brutal doom videos by the two brothers but after a while I got bored with it.

It was, GoG removed it shortly before/after release and never restored it, despite all the Postal games being available. GoG have proven multiple times they'll happily remove titles to appease the mob.

toughasnails

Fuck it, I dug up that post of his I referred to earlier. Unfortunately he's sounding less excited than I remembered but decide for yourselves:
That janky horror FPS that he had for ages on Steam is likely either Necrovision or Cryostasis. The latter was on Steam for a long time but was then removed from sale. He also did a video on Vivisector which was older game by the dev behind Cryostasis.
I can't think of many other horror FPSs that were on Steam for a long time and that he was likely to be bugged about a lot.

Silentstorm

Learned

It was, GoG removed it shortly before/after release and never restored it, despite all the Postal games being available. GoG have proven multiple times they'll happily remove titles to appease the mob.
If i recall, Hatred just has an edgelord main character that hates people because he hates people, but it's not exactly the most sadistic or violent video game ever, any Postal game is sicker, and let's not even mention recent Mortal Kombat games where each game feels like they are coming closer and closer to just asking serial killers in jail to design fatalities.

Then again, the executions just being swift and the game being serious gives it an edge to the violence that Postal doesn't have...except Postal still feels much worse than Hatred and it's still there, Hatred is just overblown in hype when it comes to the violence and content, also not exactly the most fun game to play by itself.

I still get PTSD from Hexen hub level as soon as the doors open and the chaos serpents waltz out. Strangely I found Hexen 2 more boring than the first one, so go figure. I kind of wish one could play these was with AEONS OF DEATH mod.

Which hub gave you the most trouble? I remember Seven Portals being a pain mostly because of the metal level's basement wall puzzle. Heresiarch's Seminary I thought was the most confusing though which is hub 3.

I've played through Hexen so many times that I for the most part don't get stuck, but I do get Civvie's point, especially if you aren't playing it as a kid for the first time and have tons of free time.

If you haven't already, try Hexen 2 on a more difficult setting. It makes the enemies not as sluggish with their attacks, but even then I think its more boring than 1. The spiders just suck as a default melee enemy. They should have made an ettin clone instead.

GrainWetski

Arcane

If i recall, Hatred just has an edgelord main character that hates people because he hates people, but it's not exactly the most sadistic or violent video game ever, any Postal game is sicker, and let's not even mention recent Mortal Kombat games where each game feels like they are coming closer and closer to just asking serial killers in jail to design fatalities.

Then again, the executions just being swift and the game being serious gives it an edge to the violence that Postal doesn't have...except Postal still feels much worse than Hatred and it's still there, Hatred is just overblown in hype when it comes to the violence and content, also not exactly the most fun game to play by itself.
GOG removed it because the gayjournos and other usual retards threw a hissy fit over it because they don't like the devs.

DermottCavesIn

Literate

Newest Gman video on Ghost Recon Warfighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_O1rN0Gr0

lightbane

Arcane
This. They also add VN novels and gay games while at the same time ignoring better games like Rance ones, or anything by Alicesoft and similar companies.

edgelord main character that hates people because he hates people, but it's not exactly the most sadistic or violent video game ever, any Postal game is sicker, a

That's the best part. GOG had the Postal games available to buy during that outrage and no-one said anything. Postal 1 out-edges Hatred, even now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom