Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Ysaye

Arbiter
3d movie instead of 2d animation
black haired shit with sword. but at least he looks edgy instead of depressed rean. not that it helps
some darK robot suit.
blonde canon love interest, but everyone would try to romance elf girl from computer instead.

it's an edgier steel.

bring back isometry and sprites.

It is not a sword but a stun-caliber - it is a weapon with a flat heavy edge; I believe typical weapon China to defend against swordsmen?. Also he is trained in martial arts and does moves with punching too.

Also it is not a mech but more like a special suit.

It is unlikely the blonde girl is his love interest (although I suppose Juna and Musse were a thing for Rean); she is only 16 and he is 22. It is more likely that Eclaire (Silver haired longsword lady - Order Alignment) or Shizuna (8L1B samurai ninja on Chaos Alignment) are the love choices (maybe the hellcat lady on the neutral alignment?).

Shadenuat

Arcane
A sword is a stunsword, his black hair is actually blueish, and he does martial arts, but it's not martial.
Mech is not a mech but a hardsuit.

she is only 16 and he is 22
Wait, when was that a problem for Japanese.

It's a what they call in jap industry "blonde insert for sales".

But! I am going to let this slide, if she is not his sister (or he has no sister).

It is more likely that Eclaire (Silver haired longsword lady - Order Alignment) or Shizuna (8L1B samurai ninja on Chaos Alignment) are the love choices (maybe the hellcat lady
You confused me here. Who of them is his sister??

Shadenuat

Arcane
I mean it's hard to really say, because we need to decide then if Trails was always a banal representation of its genre and Sky, Zero were also banal (partially giant trees and girls with powers of gods are but idk) and my mind was clouded by both heavy (tea) drinking I engaged to when collecting shiny crystals...

Or they weren't; but now they just try and grasp into most banal thing to survive, just like, say, Atelier games are not turn based, have no timers and no specifically feminine characters anymore. But try and press the grafix (and ass) and real time. I especially am amused by promises of new engine and grafix, as if they can impress anyone with this stuff; powerful engines is not what people like JRPGs for, their visuals are more about polish and graphical mastery of designers behind concept art, all the special moves you are going to watch 1 time and be impressed and then skip always etc.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Jindo is in good form with that Boss Battle Theme 1 (sounds a bit like "Exceed!"), whilst the Turn Based sounds like something harking back to the Sky games.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I did FC Nightmare quite fine (although relied a lot on that confuse spell), but jesus fucking christ on a pogo stick, what the fuck in the fuck is Nightmare in NG SC? Getting buttblasted by the first boss in Prologue. I think I can probably manage by ensuring good positioning, maxed crafts before battle, but damn...

In general, how does SC NG Nightmare compare with FC?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I did FC Nightmare quite fine (although relied a lot on that confuse spell), but jesus fucking christ on a pogo stick, what the fuck in the fuck is Nightmare in NG SC? Getting buttblasted by the first boss in Prologue. I think I can probably manage by ensuring good positioning, maxed crafts before battle, but damn...

In general, how does SC NG Nightmare compare with FC?

done all trails english games on nightmare and sc prologue is the biggest bullshit by far. There are also few nasty hunt quests in sc but after you get earth wall there should be no trouble.

There is also sc prologue guide which I ended up using which relies on attack food items.

From all trails games 3rd, ao and zero have best combat for nightmare difficulty.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
good news my prediction about the action mode is correct. it's more of a low level trash mob fast mode as you can't really cast arts or crafts. there is a charge meter if you fill it, you can unleash semi big attacks. it's also very simplistic, and mostly works like watered down Ys combat. action mode also sometimes can stun enemies to give advantage in command mode (similar to hitting enemies from behind in real time in the older games). you don't get the EXP/sepith x battle score multipliers from action mode too. so this is mostly just to make traversal in low level areas faster without dodging enemies while still get some low bonus EXP/Sepith.

the main meat is still the command mode/turn based mode, so I am glad trails is still mainly a turn based games.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
good news my prediction about the action mode is correct. it's more of a low level trash mob fast mode as you can't really cast arts or crafts. there is a charge meter if you fill it, you can unleash semi big attacks. it's also very simplistic, and mostly works like watered down Ys combat. action mode also sometimes can stun enemies to give advantage in command mode (similar to hitting enemies from behind in real time in the older games). you don't get the EXP/sepith x battle score multipliers from action mode too. so this is mostly just to make traversal in low level areas faster without dodging enemies while still get some low bonus EXP/Sepith.

the main meat is still the command mode/turn based mode, so I am glad trails is still mainly a turn based games.

This sounds barely okayish to my drunk brain. I never thought trash mobs were a problem in the series, so was this all actually necessary?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How good is the turn based combat though?

I feel like the formula is getting a little stale. Cold Steel IV suffered from the quantity of trash mobs I'd say.

cruel

Cipher
Combat in Cold Steel games was perfect for me, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Shadenuat

Arcane
watered down Ys combat. action mode also sometimes can stun enemies to give advantage in command mode (similar to hitting enemies from behind in real time in the older games). you don't get the EXP/sepith x battle score multipliers from action mode too
so you don't get anything and it's utterlly boring so why have these mobs at all.

you could 1-shot low levels or avoid them with particular Quartz before anyway.
japs really are masters of innovating another wheel for 5 other wheels which never were needed.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I had a dream I was playing Reverie and Kuro last night. Only to awake to this horrible reality.

:negative:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reinhardt Hey qt3.14, when will you use that 'oral gun' on me?

image.png

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, next protagonist can't be worse than Rean, bottom was hit already, can only go up in level of a typical black haired MC.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Russian Owlcat fangirls who have never touched Cold Steel offering their takes on things they have no clue about is cute. Turns my cold steel hot.
:positive:

Just like Maxie did.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nah, my limited tolerance to retards is completely exhausted in the last few days. Into the trash you go.

Shadenuat

Arcane
:lol:

It's a good roleplaying though from Rean. He lived through these many moments with his party members through the series and now tries to play the badass instead of boring nice guy. Kinda like baby Aweigh. :salute:

Dontcha worry about Steel, I'll play your next gaem.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Nah, my limited tolerance to retards is completely exhausted in the last few days. Into the trash you go.

It was the only natural course of action that follows a perenially private profile, hottie. Don't overdramatize it.

:lol:
It's a good roleplaying though from Rean. He lived through these many moments with his party members through the series and now tries to play the badass instead of boring nice guy. Kinda like baby Aweigh. :salute:

I'm a nice guy! And a baby.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Btw Rean, I know the stand of other posters of this, but I wanna know your opinion: who is Best Girl in Trails?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom