Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Ash Deathloop is definitely considerably easier than either Dishonored, but the inability to save scum seems to have tricked some normies into thinking the game is harder than it is.

copebot

Learned
The no-saving aspect is positive. Games in general should strive to get away from quicksave perfectionism, especially stealth games. Unfortunately a lot of things work against the multiplayer (netcode, fundamental power design, etc.) but the concept would work a lot better in something more grounded like nu-Hitman.

I don't get the complaints about going up against a Juliana that actually places mines. My most fun experience as a Colt was getting blown up crawling into the left-side tunnel by a mine that I couldn't see and didn't expect. I now place mines in that spot every time on that map, and it actually doesn't work every time. I got fucked up one time by a guy who hacked my mines, hacked my turrets, and lured me in with a noise to pulverize my skull with buckshot.

In fact, if the Colt knows what he's doing, using deployables just gives him something he can use to get a bunch of turrets / mines that he can use against you. He can hack and you can't. In a match I eventually won defending Frank's recording room in his club, I had made the whole thing into a toxic mess of turrets and mines. He gradually crept through the area, killing stuff as he went, hacking turrets and shooting at me. Eventually I accidentally hit enough Eternalists during the gunfights that they turned on me. I killed everyone (including Frank), and then gradually moved up on the Colt, yanking the batteries out of his turrets one by one, and then looped him.

It's in things like this that the gameplay becomes special and memorable. The actual direct gunplay is not that good just because of P2P and how the movement works. Gun balance is also nutty: the silenced SMG is supreme for killing unlimited numbers of NPCs, but it does really shit damage against players. Some of the guns like the dual pistols just do way more damage than anything else. The sniper rifles kind of suck because of the netcode and the likely fact that your opponent will probably have the 2x hp + damage reduction talent on.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Dishonored is bad at stealth because you have to crouch. How come all modern games make you crouch to "enter stealth"? Is that what you do in real life when you're trying to be quiet? Duck-walk around like a fucking clown? Have you ever tried to maintain that stance while walking? It's pretty incredible that 40+ year old Sam Fisher in Chaos Theory can maintain that posture for so long. I hope scoliosis doesn't run in his family.

If Corvo starts sprinting he's such a loud fat piece of shit that guards 4 stories below can hear him. Garrett can strafe-run across most surfaces confidently, and he doesn't have super powers. Even with marble or metal you can close the room's doors so guards outside can't hear you as easily. Although I suppose if Corvo could run quietly he'd be even more overpowered.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like this has Denuvo again. And it shows the worst games are using Denuvo.

So boys. How do you feeling as a test rats? Was it worthy that microstutering + Denuvo? Looks like mouse can work properly only when game runs at 60 FPS. Because they are great programmers.

ADL

Prophet
You're making me want to give Deathloop a try. Surely it is better than Dishonored. Now THAT was a pile of derivative shit. The only unique thing in the entire game was blink...and whale fuel.
There isn't nearly enough games of this sort to slam Dishonored for being derivative. Not a huge fan of the series honestly and they've certainly done better work as a studio but I'm not gonna complain about Dishonored being a worse Thief game with superpowers as if Thief clones are some sort of epidemic.

I know purists would be happy playing Dark Mod missions for the rest of their lives but I'll take a subpar Thief successor over most things.

JDR13

Arcane
How come all modern games make you crouch to "enter stealth"? Is that what you do in real life when you're trying to be quiet? Duck-walk around like a fucking clown? Have you ever tried to maintain that stance while walking?

You're obviously not a true ninja.

Dishonored is bad at stealth because you have to crouch. How come all modern games make you crouch to "enter stealth"? Is that what you do in real life when you're trying to be quiet?
Me and the boys on the way to the target.
tip-toeing-tip-toe.gif

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dishonored is bad at stealth because you have to crouch. How come all modern games make you crouch to "enter stealth"? Is that what you do in real life when you're trying to be quiet? Duck-walk around like a fucking clown? Have you ever tried to maintain that stance while walking? It's pretty incredible that 40+ year old Sam Fisher in Chaos Theory can maintain that posture for so long. I hope scoliosis doesn't run in his family.
Yeah. I bitched about this out loud a couple years ago but have always hated it.

Ash

Arcane
It might be Deus Ex's fault. :smug:

I don't recall a single game prior that made crouching the de-facto stealth mode. Other games it would be advantageous to crouch for breaking line of sight, or sometimes even reducing visibility, but Deus Ex made it the "mode" by also making it silence your footsteps in a game with a lot of close-quarters engagements where it is neccessary to spend a lot of time crouched, until you get augged up anyway. Also severely limited or ineffective ranged takedown options until you get silenced snipe and good rifle skill.
This was never a thing in Thief, Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid, Commandos, Goldeneye, Syphon filter and the rest of the 90s stealth games. In these games there's either a lot of running around, or stealth mechanics that are more involved than press crouch to stealth.

Makes sense if it is Deus Ex's fault, because it was also the first game to let you choose stealth or combat at all times as a choice, and therefore featured divided and conflicting design focus in both. Both combat and stealth is a bit shit in DX, vanilla at least, but sum of its parts and all that (and each still way better than Dishonored).

Last edited:

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I have vague memories of Dishonored but one of the things that pissed me off about it is the sneaky way the put objective markers in the game. IIRC, there are these bone fragments that give you powers or whatever that are marked and they are always put near the main objective. This is almost as bad as the arrow in Bioshock and this basically tells me that the designer doesn't trust me to figure out their level on my own.

Aside from that, I just didn't like it for some reason.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dishonored had moments of greatness

You're making me want to give Deathloop a try. Surely it is better than Dishonored. Now THAT was a pile of derivative shit. The only unique thing in the entire game was blink...and whale fuel. Surely Deathloop isn't as bland, boring and piss easy as Dish. Kinda curious.

Dishonored's vertical level design is great and not derivative. I like to bitch about many things but levels like Clockwork Mansion, A Crack in the Slab or The Flooded District are pretty great for exploration (and memorable).

On the other hand Deathloop is the epitome of derivative shit: blink + level design from Dishonored, timeloop mechanic + weapons from Prey, invasions from Dark Souls and current year badass nigg**s.

Also by now it's obvious that Deathloop is easier than Dishonored -> they added white messages all over the game in order to make sure the players cannot miss the designed solutions. Another game which treats its players like drooling retards.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Lol messages on the walls don't help you at all, it's just trolling from the devs most of the time.
Lots of retards ITT who write reviews based on their favorite Twatch entertainer rushing the game.

50 hours in for my part and still having a blast, :up yours: :lol:.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Removing decades old features from games is a good thing now?
Less is more?
Quick save isn't forcing you to use it but the fact that you are annoyed, knowing that some stranger may use it if it's in the game is weird.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
black people bad

On the other hand Deathloop is the epitome of derivative shit: blink + level design from Dishonored, timeloop mechanic + weapons from Prey, invasions from Dark Souls and current year badass nigg**s.
Is this where we are now? Disingenuously reducing arguments on something you haven't played to things like "it copied the weapons from Prey" (what the fuck? lol, omg guys it has a shotgun and a pistol in it) to avoid at any cost giving a game with black people in it a single compliment.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Finished it today after 31.2 hours according to Steam.

Game's fun, and the whole "time loop" concept is certainly interesting and with its fun moments, but it's no Dishonored. I mean, its gameplay is basically catering to the crowd that slaughtered everyone in Dishonored because "Stealth is teh hard" and then cried because they got the high chaos/bad ending. Here the game actually encourages you to murder everyone, and Stealth is mostly utilized in order to get you to a proper vantage point from where you can murder everyone more efficiently.

The actual ending(s) was bad, I think. Ultra-short and abrupt. It's like the whole game is building up to something and then... you get a 5-second cutscene, 3 lines of dialogue, and roll credits.

I'll probably keep playing for another 5-10 hours just to explore everything and try to hunt achievements, and then replay Dishonored 2 as Corvo, the way it's meant to be played.

I like the sound of that. Dishonored wasn't my cup of cha, and I much prefer killing people to being sneaky. Killing people sneakily is a nice middle ground.

This one's definitely going on the Wishlist

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
black people bad

Is this where we are now? Disingenuously reducing arguments on something you haven't played to things like "it copied the weapons from Prey" (what the fuck? lol, omg guys it has a shotgun and a pistol in it) to avoid at any cost giving a game with black people in it a single compliment.
Eh... the racist part of that sentence is obviously BS, but the rest is kinda true.

The game is without a doubt the result of someone on the team really loving Mooncrash and making a "full" game out of it.
The similarities are more than striking.

I already didn't like Mooncrash, so it's probably no surprise I wasn't into Deathloop, either.
While I did like all of the Dishonored games, especially Death Of The Outsider. And Prey.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The weapons are nothing like Prey's. It does not have a Gloo Gun or a Crossbow. Complaining that a game copied its weapons from Prey because it has weapons that use a pistol and shotgun archetype is worthy of ridicule. The severe lack of weapons was actually one of the worst parts of Prey, and Deathloop definitely does not lack for number of weapons.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
black people bad

Eh... the racist part of that sentence is obviously BS, but the rest is kinda true.

The game is without a doubt the result of someone on the team really loving Mooncrash and making a "full" game out of it.
The similarities are more than striking.

I already didn't like Mooncrash, so it's probably no surprise I wasn't into Deathloop, either.
While I did like all of the Dishonored games, especially Death Of The Outsider. And Prey.

Yeah, the racist part is BS.

The weapons are nothing like Prey's. It does not have a Gloo Gun or a Crossbow. Complaining that a game copied its weapons from Prey because it has weapons that use a pistol and shotgun archetype is worthy of ridicule. The severe lack of weapons was actually one of the worst parts of Prey, and Deathloop definitely does not lack for number of weapons.

That's because Dinga Bakada is so retarded he didn't know what weapons to copy.

Ash

Arcane
ZrWe0tY.png

dead game lol

Game devs & pubs see this and they don't see "make a better game next time and market it properly", they see "make some non-game cheap pandering crap meme product like gas station simulator next time"...

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It might be Deus Ex's fault. :smug:

I don't recall a single game prior that made crouching the de-facto stealth mode.
Probably one of many wrong lessons other games took from Deus Ex. At least your running speed is still pretty quiet as long as you cut a somewhat wide berth around enemies. Plus, you can get an aug very early in the game that eliminates the sound. Too bad I never took it cause I like jumping high

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It might be Deus Ex's fault.

Not really. It's like that in Thief (1998), there you move slower while crouched = less noise, equals stealth mode.

That's full two years before Deus Ex.

Ash yes, don't be a fucking retard, I played Thief just earlier today. You made an ignorant comment which can happen, and doubling down on it just makes you look like a petulant retard.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They tried real hard to copy the boring weapons from Prey, but they couldn't even do that right so instead they ended up with a cool and interesting arsenal completely by accident. That's why Deathloop is derivative!
:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom