Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That must be why I'm playing the plainest human Paladin build I can think of and so far I've breezed through the first 3 chapters without a single problem.

This game is for munchkins because Pathfinder is in itself a system prone to munchkinism, nothing more than what was already expected from the moment they said "we are going to adapt Wrath of the Righteous with a lot of mythic paths".
Paladins are pretty meta in Wrath to be fair
Yeah but, I mean, the game gives you a fairly competent Paladin from the get-go. Her starting feats aren't the best, but you can easily rely on her for all your demons-smiting needs. Moreover, while my paladin's stellar saves and smites have been very useful, I'm fairly sure that any other melee character (a Ranger, Slayer, Fighter, or even Rogue) built in a similar way (Power Attack, Cleave, Cleaving Finish, and Vital Strike) would breeze through the game just like my Paladin (and they could even have an easier time, since they could squeeze Shatter Defenses in their build).

I mean, honestly, ranged combat is so busted in this game that, as long as you keep either Lann, Wenduag, or Arueshalae in your party, all the other characters can be spastic mongoloids and you will still breeze at least through the first three chapters.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Companions are really strong and quite versatile tbh. Not quite Valerie levels of versatility but strong. Mythic feats open up a lot of opportunities for them. Sosiel can shore up his frontline durability issue by taking impossible domain animal and riding his pet. Impossible domain exists meaning you can pick the insane domains (nobility/community) on any companion cleric. Lann has A LOT of physical stats and starts as monk with high wisdom so he can make a great shapeshifter druid or just an archer cleric. Camelia can stack a ton of AC with second spirit wind and you can dip her 2xInstictual warrior down the line for even more ac and uncanny dodge. You can bork your ember build as much as you want, hexes + cackle will always be strong.
Seelah is probably my least favorite. Yeah you can make a her a decent bard, but the setting really calls for a mark of justice paladin and her starting Cha is a bit weak for that imo. Still she will do fine.

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
In act 1 I had to kick Lann out because it felt like cheating, his archery was too damn good. Now things are getting a bit tougher and Aru is also super deadly with a bow but I feel justified in keeping her around (also for boobs). Apart from that, I only have one character that can hit anything, a bloodrager mercenary that I like more than my gay angel armored arcanist main character.

Lil bro Reggie is alright in support melee. I'm only in act 2, not sure if it gets better but not really loving the companions. Character writing-wise and utility-wise. One of the weaker aspects of the game I reckon.
Core difficulty?

I would have it no other way sir! Although I feel my ignorance of these systems and only semi-munchkin approach is giving me a hearty challenge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Companions are really strong and quite versatile tbh. Not quite Valerie levels of versatility but strong. Mythic feats open up a lot of opportunities for them. Sosiel can shore up his frontline durability issue by taking impossible domain animal and riding his pet. Impossible domain exists meaning you can pick the insane domains (nobility/community) on any companion cleric. Lann has A LOT of physical stats and starts as monk with high wisdom so he can make a great shapeshifter druid or just an archer cleric. Camelia can stack a ton of AC with second spirit wind and you can dip her 2xInstictual warrior down the line for even more ac and uncanny dodge. You can bork your ember build as much as you want, hexes + cackle will always be strong.
Seelah is probably my least favorite. Yeah you can make a her a decent bard, but the setting really calls for a mark of justice paladin and her starting Cha is a bit weak for that imo. Still she will do fine.
When does Camelia get to pick her second spirit? I have not seen that option in first 3 Mythic levels.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

My first thought when seeing that was "what the hell, it looks like it's been cropped straight out of some b-tier webcomic". Might be a fairly minor thing, but a real shame what happened with the available portraits in Wrath. Not only are most of them ugly and in stark contrast with the consistent, high quality of KM, but quite a few look poor quality, downright upscaled using some browser-based free tool (like that human magus or halfing/gnome male and female rogues).

Kingmaker portraits were not exactly top tier either honestly. When I think about "high quality" it is IWD1 that comes to mind.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
volklore POZiel has 10 dex, a feat on medium armour and while it is true you can fix the domain via mythic, you could have used those mythic feats/abilities for something else. The fuck are you about? If you play on story ofc they feel powerful but companions are built like shit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The bug I've been suffering from the most is trying to cast Cure X Wounds in TB combat. You waste one turn and one cast in order to cast it on the next turn.
The bug I've been suffering the most is fucking charge stopping without a reason 8 times out of 10.
Is this in TB? I've only had to use charge 2-3 times in Ch. 1 and I haven't noticed problems yet.

I think it mostly applies to Large mounts, like horses (maybe other large animal Companions too). Lann's Medium Triceratops has no issues so far.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

My first thought when seeing that was "what the hell, it looks like it's been cropped straight out of some b-tier webcomic". Might be a fairly minor thing, but a real shame what happened with the available portraits in Wrath. Not only are most of them ugly and in stark contrast with the consistent, high quality of KM, but quite a few look poor quality, downright upscaled using some browser-based free tool (like that human magus or halfing/gnome male and female rogues).

Kingmaker portraits were not exactly top tier either honestly. When I think about "high quality" it is IWD1 that comes to mind.

By "quality" I meant image quality, which was consistently high in KM, the portraits themselves were consistent as well and none of them looked out of place (that candlemere rogue looked goofy and that's it). Here it's all over the fucking place and some of them look like someone took a low res pic and zoomed in on default windows photo app.

ArchAngel

Arcane
volklore POZiel has 10 dex, a feat on medium armour and while it is true you can fix the domain via mythic, you could have used those mythic feats/abilities for something else. The fuck are you about? If you play on story ofc they feel powerful but companions are built like shit.
Give him cat's grace and reduce person and now he has 16 and can use Breastplate. He is useless in melee combat anyways, you might as well use him as full caster in armor.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
By "quality" I meant image quality, which was consistently high in KM, the portraits themselves were consistent as well and none of them looked out of place (that candlemere rogue looked goofy and that's it). Here it's all over the fucking place and some of them look like someone took a low res pic and zoomed in on default windows photo app.

By quality you mean crispness and image resolution uhm? Well honestly to me seems on par with Kingmaker.
While I will repeat that portraits are pretty bad on both games. That sorceress is better than Nyrissa in Kingmaker, or Valerie for example.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Give him cat's grace and reduce person and now he has 16 and can use Breastplate. He is useless in melee combat anyways, you might as well use him as full caster in armor.

The point is that companions are not "really strong". Ofc you can manage somewhat with what they give you.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've just met undead druid in ch3.
Wow, 50AC and lvl 9 spells, he is a serious guy
GJIqmxZ.jpg
Mr. Crazy Undead Druid, please meet Daeran's Dog, Perch:
UcVoJ59.png
He got tripped in the first round and pulverized with AoOs in the second while attempting to get back up from his ass.

And this amazing creature (I mean dog) did not even had all buffs and teamwork feat that I could possibly share on it.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
After picking lich path the game offered me merged or separate spell books. At the time there was no indication that this had any gameplay effect so i picked separate spellbooks. Now I find out there are massive benefits to having a merged spellbook and the fucking game didn't bother to mention it!!
Is there anything I can do now to merge the spellbooks or do I have to reload?

ArchAngel

Arcane
After picking lich path the game offered me merged or separate spell books. At the time there was no indication that this had any gameplay effect so i picked separate spellbooks. Now I find out there are massive benefits to having a merged spellbook and the fucking game didn't bother to mention it!!
Is there anything I can do now to merge the spellbooks or do I have to reload?
You can respec your character if they fixed the game stopping bugs with that.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It must be some really cosmic karma happening.

Yestardays i talked shit towards Casters. Then later in same day got my 4th Mythic Level and now Nenio/Ember are literaly nuking everything. Controlled Fireballs and Scorching/Hellfire Rays now are hit like trucks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Most of kingmaker portraits, npcs and some of player portraits, are all done with similar color design in mind and backgrounds are from the game. They mostly are in cold, foggy, foresty or mounty areas on background, with some castles here and there. In some places backgrounds have almost similar landscapes of Stolen Lands. You can see Dugath near fallen snowy trees, Aldori chicks on steps of castle, Erastil cleric almost at place where you meet him in the game.

In Wrath, most NPC portraits and some commander are also similar. Nurah seems to be captured somewhere around Lepers Smile, Cam's daddy looks like he's in his mansion.

And then you have those that stand out too much. Some of them are professionally done (inquisitor under rain, thiefling with crossbow); some give me throw money on artstation, see how it goes vibes; but in the end they stand out a lot and don't have anything to do with crusades or worldwound or mythics.

They should have made sure all portraits are consistent with NPC portrait logix.

The bug I've been suffering from the most is trying to cast Cure X Wounds in TB combat. You waste one turn and one cast in order to cast it on the next turn.
The bug I've been suffering the most is fucking charge stopping without a reason 8 times out of 10.
Is this in TB? I've only had to use charge 2-3 times in Ch. 1 and I haven't noticed problems yet.

I think it mostly applies to Large mounts, like horses (maybe other large animal Companions too). Lann's Medium Triceratops has no issues so far.
Are you calling Seelah a fatass cow?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Attempted to do Drezen on hard, lol screw this, might switch back to core. Average enemies have 30AC+ and those weird mages get metamagic quicken mirror image and insta phantasmal web—> wisdom drain with high reflex saves so can’t grease and such.

Anyone else did this on hard and what party comp?

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Human mages? Just use stinking cloud

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom