Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It's Dark souls 10 anniversary

Vorark

Erudite
Bloodborne > Dark Souls 1.

More like a draw. Vanilla Bloodborne after Rom is eerie similar to Dark Souls post Ornstein and Smough, there's a noticeable decrease in quality. Areas like Nightmare Frontier/Memphis were visually bland and Yahar'gul was an exercise in tedium, a letdown after that early Hypogean Gaol visit. Upper Cathedral and Cainhurst were the saving graces.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Game gave me the best multiplayer experience I have ever had in my life.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
How did you get past the archers in Anor Londo? For me it was the Fog Ring and the Tower Shield. Run up the buttress, turn right, and the archer on the left gets one arrow shot before I'm clear. Then just hold up the Tower Shield and eventually the archer on the right knocks himself off the ledge. I think I had to consult the interwebs to do that. I'm pretty sure I didn't get past it on my own.

I never did kill that dragon that the blind giant shoots down. I definitely had the stats and equipment for it. But every time I tried rolling away from its attacks, my dude would roll in the wrong direction.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
If you get close to the archer at the right (The one in the way you have to go), he'll take his sword. Parry him, there's a big chance he'll fall. If not, at that point he shouldn't be able of surviving two parries in a row if your weapon is improved enough. Another strat is tanking his sword hits with a shield, eventually he'll fall from the ledge.

The archer at the left is no problem, although there's a bit of luck involved. Sometimes his arrows dodge the pillar where he usually lands his shots.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Demon's Souls was already great, Dark Souls objectively didn't bring much on the table but had the merit to bring Demon's Souls to the masses. Bloodborne is an artistic masterpiece as long as this medium is concerned. Sekiro is as well.

The legacy of Dark Souls is unmatched in the 2010's in this industry. Simply unmatched. Ten years of fantastic games, marvelous art directions and intransigence over the specificity of this medium.

It's a shame that the game is surrounded with all these memes and counts so many gatekeepers masturbating over its so-called "hardcore difficulty". Its legacy is unmatched during the whole decade and has few peers overall.

Happy anniversary, champ !

ADL

Prophet
It's a damn shame the second half sucks. I remember being really disappointed as a fan of Demon's Souls. The expansion kinda makes up for it but I prefer Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne as a whole.

When the hell is From Software going to increase their overall production value? It's been over a decade and the animation quality, sound design and general feel of the way the characters control feels like it hasn't improved at all. They're not the budget developers they were ten years ago. Say what you will about Bluepoint's Demon's Souls but pretty much everything about that game looks (on a technical level), feels better and has better sound design than anything From Software has released despite having unlimited resources thrown their way by Bandai Namco and Kadokawa.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's been over a decade and the animation quality, sound design and general feel of the way the characters control feels like it hasn't improved at all.
How can you pretend that there hasn't been any improvement between Dark Souls and Sekiro, hell even between Dark Souls and Bloodborne (4 years) ?

ADL

Prophet
The thing I liked most about Demon's Souls ten years ago was how much weight the combat had to it in comparison to anything at the time. That was back in 2009 and melee combat sucked at the time. Now games like Bluepoint's DeS and Mortal Shell have done that better while From Software's games all feel floaty and technically inferior in many aspects. Their PC ports in particular suck ass.

As much as I like Bloodborne (hate Sekiro parrying until you can instakill a health bar isn't fun), the movement is floaty, deserves better animations+sound design and the game runs a hell of a lot worse than it should across all hardware it runs on PS5 included. At what point is From Software going to stop looking and feeling like a budget developer and raise their production value? Bluepoint's DeS from a technical and production standpoint is where From Software should be now.

deuxhero

Arcane
One of the most important games in my life. The amount of experiences and emotions it gave me is amazing: first time in Catacombs, Blighttown, first time seeing Hydra, struggling with Gargolyes, fighting Queelag with +1 weapon, total despair in Depths after Bassilisk curse, the New Londo experience, seeing Firelink after going back from Blighttown, another total despair in Tomb of Giants, etc. Masterpiece.

DS1 last third is awfully bad. Like, drop the game twice before regaining the strength to come back again and face that last third, bad.

Please stop with this 'last third' stuff. The game has ONE area that sucks and is clearly unfinished: Lost Izalith. That's it. All other late-game areas are fine. That's hardly close to 1/3 of the game, more like 1/10 or even less.

And the Tomb of Giants, which is full of respawning enemies you need one very specific type of weapon, never indicated elsewhere, to stop and instant death hidden by darkness that breaks the setting's rules (everywhere else, even areas deep underground, and all the magical lightning and fire you have apparently doesn't produce any light) that you must use one of three very specific types of equipment (one is locked to certain builds, one is random drops, and one requires a sidequest) in order to avoid. And the Crystal Caves, which you need a large stack of another otherwise almost useless item (which obtaining requires backtracking) to avoid when playing offline.

Silva

Arcane
Crystal Caves is shit I agree, and Seath Library is also shit aside from the first time, but Tomb of Giants is superb. Okay it has its cheese moments but come on, it's most tense area in an already tense game and for that alone it deserves praise.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
And the Tomb of Giants, which is full of respawning enemies you need one very specific type of weapon, never indicated elsewhere,
1. Andre has a line of dialogue specifically telling you about this. And how to solve the issue.
2. If you're legitimately a newbie, and you just started the game, and you take things slowly, once you talk to Petrus you realize his prices are much higher than every single other merchant you have access to, except, maybe, for the stuff Griggs might sell, EXCEPT for Seek Guidance. Even though, once you meet Rhea, you realize even that one is over priced, but anyway...

So if you run around at the beginning for the Catacombs with Seek Guidance on, there is a dev message about this.

Now I know most people don't find it, because most people play online, but I didn't, because I read the manual, and I didn't want to get invaded. So when you play offline, you get no signs from other people, which I thought it is an acceptable downside. You have to rely on dev messages.

Ain't Dark Souls great? :D

wahrk

Learned
Outside of Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos the second half of DS1 is fine, people overstate how much the quality supposedly drops.

curds

Magister
And the Tomb of Giants, which is full of respawning enemies you need one very specific type of weapon, never indicated elsewhere,
At least two different NPCs will tell you exactly what you need to deal with them, so I wouldn't say it's never indicated elsewhere. As usual in Dark Souls, the answers are there if you have the patience to look for them.

Oops didn't see sorinmask's post.

curds

Magister
Demon's Souls was already great, Dark Souls objectively didn't bring much on the table
Eh, Demon's Souls is awesome but I would say Dark Souls improved on the formula in pretty much every way. Better world design, better voice acting and writing, better atmosphere (although I'll admit that's purely subjective), much better boss fights and so on.

One thing Demon's Souls did better was the way you lose half your HP when you die. I don't understand why that mechanic was removed for Dark Souls. I don't like how little being hollowed or human matter in Dark Souls.

Silva

Arcane
Outside of Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos the second half of DS1 is fine, people overstate how much the quality supposedly drops.
Anor Londo and Seath Library are midly shitty after the novelty fades, and Cristal Cave and Izalith are totally shitty. But the main problem is that Lordvessel turns what was an unique and exotic experience until that point into a generic map teleporting action game.

All those combined make for a severe drop in quality overall and, I bet, excitement for most players. I know I dropped it the first time and had to gather my strenghts to go back and finish it.

That said, the game is a masterpiece nonetheless, because it's high points are stratospherical. :hug:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where are the codex storyfags?
I will say this as far as the story goes: if you can make a game where despite having a whole hoard of people helping you (Twitch chat, for example) you're still in danger of setting yourself on fire by the end... then that's a pretty strong way to tell a story.

Oh, and guiding people to find out how to get to Gwyndolin by actually reading the rings, is a process that always feels so satisfying. You can see the light coming into peoples' eyes as they read. (spoonfeeding and backseating are just the worst)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom