Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suggestion for RPGs :

thelegend

Learned
can you guys/girls/whatever gender suggest good role playing games which are not based on medieval fantasy or cyberpunk

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
SSI's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (1993) and its sequel Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager (1994) occur in AD&D's post-apocalyptic fantasy setting with city-states based on ancient civilizations.

Interplay's Wasteland (1988), Fallout (1997), and their successors are science fiction post-apocalyptic settings.

Planescape: Torment (1999) and The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002) have sui generis fantasy settings quite distinct from the usual late-medieval / Renaissance Europe derived settings.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Age of Decadence - Post Apocalyptic with Lovecraftian Elements.

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game - Lord of the Flies like setting with a human society stranded on a space refrigerator.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Age of Decadence, Underrail, Expedition: Conquistador/Viking, Arcanum, VampireTM: Bloodlines, Disco Elysium. Ye ol' trusty Starter Pack. There is more, depending on how deep your willing to dive into The Flawed, the Old and the Obscure.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Ravenloft games as well. They're medieval fantasy, but not the generic type. Strahd's Possesion is Gothic Fantasy. Stone Prophet is Egyptian Fantasy. Both are excellent games. Highly recommend playing them at least once.

Atchodas

Augur
Age of Decadence

Dungeon Rats

Underrail + Expeditions

Wasteland 2 & 3

Atom + Trudograd

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Wasteland 2 & 3
hahaha-no.gif

curds

Magister
Kingdom Come, Darklands, Mount & Blade.

Medieval without the fantasy.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Underrail
Fallout 1/2
Wasteland 2/3
Disco Elysium (play it and form your own opinion)

Cosmic

Literate
Mass Effect 1 & 2 are good action RPGs that are neither fantasy nor cyberpunk.

If you play them, do yourself a favor and skip Andromeda. ME 3 is optional, not only because it has too much emphasis on action, but because it concludes the story horribly. If I knew how bad it would be, I'd watch the ending on youtube.

Falksi

Arcane
Here's a load that few will suggest, but which I found brilliant:
  • Summoner 2
  • Shadow Hearts 1 & 2
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Risen 2
  • Nier

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Alpha Protocol, interesting plot, excellent RPG design, but questionable combat.
Elvira, incredibly difficult horror RPG/adventure game. Don't expect boobies, expect gore.
Iron Seed, atmospheric space opera Star Control clone. Has minor pacing issues.
Jagged Alliance 2, the legendary tactical RPG.

Also, if Mount and Blade doesn't interest you in itself, it has several mods that turn it into non-medieval settings. Like gothic fantasy, western, samurai and I think Napoleon-era combat.
Are you implying that there are good role playing games which are based on cyberpunk?
Deus Ex? System Shock 1/2? The Shadowrun games? Dreamweb? I guess it depends on your opinion though. I think there might be more cyberpunk games than any other non-fantasy or post-apocalyptic setting games.

Last edited:

thelegend

Learned
can you guys/girls/whatever gender suggest good role playing games which are not based on medieval fantasy or cyberpunk

Are you implying that there are good role playing games which are based on cyberpunk?

I have played few cyberpunk rpgs .Deus Ex , System Shock 2 and Shadowrun dragonfall are my favorites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom