Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Medieval Dynasty - first person medieval town builder/survival game

ntonystinson

Scholar
https://www.toplitz-productions.com/medieval-dynasty.html

https://af.gog.com/game/medieval_dynasty?as=1649904300

Medieval Dynasty
A town building, survival role play game set in an open world in the medieval europe.

LP_MedievalDynasty_Button.png

Medieval Dynasty is a unique mix of life simulation, survival and strategy build-up game. Explore a huge and living open world, build up your village and lead your folks through the middle ages.

MEDIEVALDYNASTY_LOGO_SMALL-cc642438.png

MedievalDynasty_Screen_002.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_005.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_008.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_004.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_001.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_010.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_007.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_009.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_006.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_011.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_012.jpg
MedievalDynasty_Screen_003.jpg

Europe in the Middle Ages. The winters are harsh, people are struggling for survival. Turn your village into a realm fit for a king, ensure your bloodline’s place in history and rule for generations.

Face the trials and tribulations of the medieval ages in Medieval Dynasty!

Features
  • Expand your borders by constructing buildings for your people
  • Cultivate the land and hunt to keep your populace well-fed
  • Plan accordingly so that your folk doesn’t starve to death because winter is coming
  • Start a family and claim your place in history by founding a prodigious dynasty

Last edited by a moderator:

kris

Arcane
Conceptually it sounds really nice. But I tried their earlier "farmers dynasty" and that one was a pretty boring "press left button to fix things" game.

Still this one seems more ambitious with more actors that you can rule? over. They dont show anything about how you affect other actors.

Also it has more activities than their previous game. and skills.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Looks good, and early reviews seem promising. Has anyone here played it yet?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I played it. This game has some serious Conan Exiles levels of grinding. I don't recommend it if you dislike grind. I do recommend it though on the condition that you want a survival game set in a world similar to Kingdom Come where KCD's Town Management was lacklustre and shoehorned in this actually managed to make it work how people wanted it to work in that game. It has potential but they seriously need to make the grind adjustable like in Conan Exiles and Space Engineers because the current level makes the game feel tedious. The hunger and drink mechanics are annoying am I playing as a Diabetic guy or something?

Its got potential but at this stage it feels like a generic survival game that thought it was gonna be the next big multiplayer hit only to realise its a single player game and completely misses the point of that fact lol. Visually its really good considering that they didn't go overboard with Unreal Engine the visuals are modest which adds to the stability of the game. I will say for an EA title it is very polished but its missing a lot of skills. I also disliked how the game tells you a building is (X) number of resources but that only applies for the foundations the actual building costs aren't ever specified you just kinda have to guess. The game also dose a lousy job at explaining how you get certain resources. The game has a well you go figure it out mentality which I don't like.

I like that this game has quests. I also like that the game is persistent so any modifications you make to the game world stay this is why you may want to consider logging in a further away place in order to not ruin the scenery around your comfy town.

Boars are Jumpscares just saying. They also know how to use doors. I had one coolaid through my door in the middle of the night.
It has that comfy feel to it and the developers have done a pretty good job all things considered but its not exactly a game I'd gush over. I like where its heading but its gotta drop the padding.

Erikkolai

Learned
I watched it for a couple of hours on Twitch. Seemed very polished, not typical EA. Feels a lot like the Vavra Chad Sim btw (in terms of atmosphere and UI).

Mortmal

Arcane
I played it for 9 hours, its smooth and pretty walking simulator , frame rate rate barely at 60fps on ultra on 5700xt . However there's very little content and its extremely tedious and repetitive , you really feel the grind . Worse you have to pay taxes the more field and buildings you have even if none one joined you and get heavily penalized , just paying the taxes is another grind . Getting villagers to join is a chore cause you have a few dialogue choices given +5 or- 5 approval but you absolutely dont know which one works.If you fuck up you need to wait next day and retry and slowly get the 70% approval, oh and season is 3 days, so you can completely miss a season just going hunting .
There's lot of positive reviews for this yet i've been rarely so disapointed by a game, it really doesnt deserves it yet . I guess they are reviewing the potential, good luck with that it will take years to make something out of it, if it happens ever , they dont have very good reputation.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Its got potential but at this stage it feels like a generic survival game that thought it was gonna be the next big multiplayer hit only to realise its a single player game and completely misses the point of that fact lol. Visually its really good considering that they didn't go overboard with Unreal Engine the visuals are modest which adds to the stability of the game. I will say for an EA title it is very polished but its missing a lot of skills. I also disliked how the game tells you a building is (X) number of resources but that only applies for the foundations the actual building costs aren't ever specified you just kinda have to guess. The game also dose a lousy job at explaining how you get certain resources. The game has a well you go figure it out mentality which I don't like.

I spent 1-2 hours trying to get hold of a pick. only to later discover you could find rocks lying around (but very rare.)

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Conceptually it sounds really nice. But I tried their earlier "farmers dynasty" and that one was a pretty boring "press left button to fix things" game.

Still this one seems more ambitious with more actors that you can rule? over. They dont show anything about how you affect other actors.

Also it has more activities than their previous game. and skills.

entirely different developer than the farmer game, just same publisher

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game has received steady updates, has anyone from before played it again since? Would be curious to hear your thoughts on how it has progressed, incline or decline?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1129580/view/2997693811544973494

1.0 Release Date and New Price Announced

Hello everyone,

We have some huge news for you. Our work on Medieval Dynasty Early Access version is slowly coming to its end, and the 1.0 release is in sight. It’s been nearly one year since we started this journey with you. A time full of work, creativity, testing, and working together with you. It was feverish at times, but all of that sweat and sleepless nights were definitely worth it. Now we are proud to announce the big date. Grab your pencils Medieval Dynasty 1.0 will be released on 23rd of September 2021.

With the Medieval Dynasty 1.0 Full Release we are planning to give you more content, upgrades, and balances to the game (right now, we can give you two words as a tease: bandits and herbalism. Intrigued? We don’t blame you...). We will give you more info about what’s coming soon. But our work will not stop there. Once Medieval Dynasty 1.0 is released, we will publish a new Road Map with post release content and support that you can expect to be added.

432bed07355ad404f7d0d89ed141630b0abed67f.jpg

931e0f210204d3014d531b1e55ccc87adc0afa5b.jpg

Today we also want to give you important info and heads up about Medieval Dynasty’s price. Since the 1.0 Full Release is getting closer and closer, and with that our game will contain more content and polish, we will increase the price of the game to EUR 29.99 | USD 34,99 | GBP 27,99 | CNY 189 as of the 15th of August 2021. We are writing about this price increase right now because we want to give any potential new players a heads up, just in case they would like to buy the game at a lower price.

And if the current price is still too much for you, don’t fret! As of now, we are starting our very last Steam sale before Medieval Dynasty 1.0 Full Release. So take advantage of this unique opportunity and grab the game at the pre-release price together with a 20% discount! Don’t wait too long though as this sale ends on 9th of August.

We’re really looking forward to finally bringing the 1.0 version to you all soon! Can’t wait to share with you what we have in store. Stay tuned, as news about that in the coming weeks.

Until next time,

Your Toplitz Productions and Render Cube Teams

spectre

Arcane
The game has received steady updates, has anyone from before played it again since? Would be curious to hear your thoughts on how it has progressed, incline or decline?
I played a recent-ish build a few days back and my impressions are pretty much the same as Mortmal's from previous year, they keep updating it, but it doesn't seem there's been any kind of breakthrough since my previous attempt.
Interactions with villagers are pretty soulless, only types of tasks I saw are simplest fedex.
The menus are still poorly organized (that's what happens when you put builder gameplay into first person with nothing but radial menus to work with), takes a lot of clicks to find shit you want to build,
and you'll quickly find there isn't too much stuff that's actually available to build - pretty much everything is behind an exp grindwall.

I couldn't be bothered to try all the jobs, so I barely scratched the surface, most of them look like - hold LMB and wait for circle to fill in.
It takes ages to grind the exp to unlock what feels like the most basic of stuff and everything is so fucking fragile, as if the game is working against your having fun.
For example: a basic rabbit trap only lasts for three uses and for some reason you can only place one. You can hunt with spears (basic ones are similarly fragile) and bow (hidden behind a grindwall).
All in all, the hunting itself is pretty banalShitBoring. All animals give the same type of "Leather" the only difference is in the amount. From what I've seen, you can't immediately craft anything useful out of it,
other than a leather bag, which is only useful for a different profession. I also had real trouble finding any buyers for it. You can probably look all this shit up on the wiki, but as it is,
it doesn't really work smoothly off the shelf.

If other "industries" follow the same pattern as hunting (which felt like the most exciting line of work), it's all pretty barebones and unfulfilling, unless you want a walking simulator or want to larp heavily.
Tl;dr, IMO there isn't really much of a game there at the moment.
Also, most definitely not an RPG.

Last edited:
Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I have this game installed and playing it from time to time. It's nice to kill time but on the other hand time is so sparse and many good crpg waiting to be played.
But MD is evolving nicely and still it's worth to build some things around, but for how long . Game is too grindy in many aspects.

Last edited:

Alter Sack

Magister
Reviews on steam are pretty good.

The first negative review I read was from some faggot whose only complaint was the lack of homosexual relationships in the game.

So the game seems pretty based for todays standards.

I would be interested in the esteemed opinion of some codex members.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Reviews on steam are pretty good.

The first negative review I read was from some faggot whose only complaint was the lack of homosexual relationships in the game.

So the game seems pretty based for todays standards.

I would be interested in the esteemed opinion of some codex members.
>Medieval game
>Hooomooosexual marraige

You people want to escape from your 9 to 5 daily lives by role playing a medieval peasant? Go knight or go home.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Really want to play this but now I see they published a "post-release roadmap" and some of the things on it look pretty enticing particularly the birbs/windmills and especially the Heir quests... Feel like just waiting now.. Why they didn't just keep this in EA until this was all in I dunno... I don't care about 3rd person or console shite but everything else seems like stuff that would just enhance the game...

06c068bb62bca5f7e1e3d39564b98f1bc972c752.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/medieval-dynasty-review/

MEDIEVAL DYNASTY REVIEW
A survival RPG that makes doing chores for everyone else fun.

Having put the finishing touches on the fourth building in my little village-to-be, I realise I need to go out hunting to get more food for the few denizens that dwell within it. It's my job to look after them, after all, and that means building shelter and services, but also going out to hunt some bison or deer for meat. I feel pretty confident as I head out… but end up dying to a boar taking a bite out of my ankle.

This moment helped give me the respect I needed for the world of Medieval Dynasty, because while it looks tame and feels like an RPG a lot of the time, it still has the heart of a survival game. This means it’s very content to kill you where you stand if you’re not paying it proper attention. Progressing means learning to balance the gentler and harsher aspects of the game.

Things can get a little odd where the two meet. You gain levels in the different skillsets simply by using them—in theory encouraging you to go out into the world and try out the skills you want to master. In practice you end up with a lot of wooden spoons.

Remember the similar system in Skyrim? Where you ended up grinding up your blacksmithing skills by filling your bags with a ridiculous number of daggers? Imagine that, but instead of working towards magic swords, you just want to make a shovel, and instead of forging daggers you’re whittling spoons out of sticks. On the other hand, it was genuinely exciting once I did get the shovel. Now I can dig up the stump after I cut down a tree! And at least selling all that cutlery helped fund my advancement, too.

Trade off
You see, along with grinding up to be able to craft new things and increase your passive buffs, you also need to spend money to unlock new blueprints. I’m not really sure who you’re paying that money to, as you can do it in your menu, but that’s how it works. You can also spend money at merchants in each of the villages to buy food, new equipment, or just anything you don’t want to craft or don’t have the ability to craft yet. Mechanically it’s all pretty standard survival game stuff, but that extra smattering of RPG progression to it all does a lot to keep things compelling.

The main thing that sets it apart from many other survival games, though, is that it’s not just about staying alive, but how well you can manage your little community. It’s called Medieval Dynasty for a reason. You need to start your own little town, and keep building it up from being a single house for you to sleep in, to a bustling rural metropolis full of people with different jobs that you have to keep fed, watered, and warm. Every person you recruit has their own skills, age, and preferences, and learning about those and matching them up with the right job will make for a happier, and far more productive, village.

Assigning jobs means they’ll help out with resource gathering and stuff as well, but you’re the one in charge. I assume this is what it’s like to be a manager—or at least what it would be like if along with assigning work and drawing on whiteboards you also had to give your employees the ingredients to cook their dinner, and firewood for their cosy home that you built with their own two hands and a hammer.

As time moves on, new threats appear. While combat isn’t really the main focus of Medieval Dynasty, it is there. Different weapons offer different attack ranges and uses. Knives, for example, can be used to hack away at an opponent as long as you have stamina, while spears can be used to poke an enemy, but are far more useful at range. You’ll mostly be fighting off wildlife as you go out hunting, but you’ll also occasionally be attacked by small groups of roaming bandits as well. While they’re not a huge threat, your villagers aren’t much for fighting, so you’ll need to go out to meet them before they cause too much damage, or your little slice of paradise will suffer.

Pacemaker
Medieval Dynasty has some pretty comprehensive difficulty sliders that allow you to do things like remove temperature as a concern entirely, or massively reduce or increase the amount of food people need to live. You can even stop the bandit attacks if you want to live in a world where people are nice all the time, or make seasons as long or as short as you want. It’s a surprisingly accessible approach. The basic systems, like how long it takes to build a building, remain the same, but the ability to remove and alter so many things means you can either play this as a brutally difficult game where you’re constantly against the clock, or turn it into a casual chillout session akin to a slightly grittier Animal Crossing.

Even with things set to be a little more brutal, Medieval Dynasty still feels as though it’s been designed as a second life, rather than a fantasy one. There’s a story here, and it’s not bad, but it’s designed to walk you through Medieval Dynasty's mechanics rather than presenting a world-changing narrative. That means you’ll be trying to keep everyone happy and safe instead of trying to slay dragons or visit other worlds. It’s really quite relaxing.

Less relaxing, though, is the fact that the game doesn’t always do a great job of teaching you things, and there’s an awful lot to learn here. You’ll often have to consult the in-game “Knowledge” tab to be able to learn what you’re meant to be doing. Information can be in weird places when you’re trying to build new tools too. But once you’ve put a bit of time in, these become fairly minor inconveniences.

Medieval Dynasty isn’t necessarily the most exciting game out there, but it’s comforting. It’s the kind of thing you can jump into for an hour or so a night and see your progress in the form of a new building, or a brand-new member of your very own village. Or you might jump in expecting a quick visit and find yourself losing four hours, emerging from a trance later with a warm, fuzzy feeling in your stomach.

THE VERDICT

MEDIEVAL DYNASTY
Medieval dynasty is a fun, relaxing survival RPG, even if it's not always exciting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom