Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadenuat

Arcane
It also feeds into wrong perception that solo is harder and you need to be good at it, while reality is backwards: overleveling gives you flat math advantage over 90% of content in such games, thus making most content trivial, aside from some places developers specifically intended for you to have multiple party members.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
Allow me to introduce you to that abomination I was talking about.

I would need to go digging through his twitch channel history to find the actual build though. If I remember correctly though it has 6 dips.

I think I need an adult to explain to me what the actual fuck is happening in this video.

Sharpedge

Prophet
It also feeds into wrong perception that solo is harder and you need to be good at it, while reality is backwards: overleveling gives you flat math advantage over 90% of content in such games, thus making most content trivial, aside from some places developers specifically intended for you to have multiple party members.
Having played both in Wrath, I found Solo to be harder up until the start of A3. That is a significant chunk of the game where having a party makes the game easier. A4 and A5 are about as easy both with and without a party, but its far more convenient having to only manage 1 character so I prefer solo there as well.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Allow me to introduce you to that abomination I was talking about.

I would need to go digging through his twitch channel history to find the actual build though. If I remember correctly though it has 6 dips.

I think I need an adult to explain to me what the actual fuck is happening in this video.

This guy is using 4 Geniekind to trigger Elemental Barrage so he clearly is gay. Don't investigate further.

Having played both in Wrath, I found Solo to be harder up until the start of A3. That is a significant chunk of the game where having a party makes the game easier. A4 and A5 are about as easy both with and without a party, but its far more convenient having to only manage 1 character so I prefer solo there as well.
Every day that goes by without you getting a "Resident Solo Expert" tag is a crime and, quite frankly, a shame. As soon as I manage to get Lacrymas his "Undead Sex Expert" tag, I'll start petitioning for yours as well.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wrath should be trick(ier) because you reach level cap faster. And I guess you won't hit every buff (but then, mythics). PKM, PoE, BG, I don't think are hard for soloing.

I find 6 low level characters massively more interesting and challenging than overleveling + exploiting game turning it all into some banality.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
BG1/BG2 are easier solo than with a party.

BG2 + ascension is easier with a party than solo (actually impossible solo).

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Got my save borked yesterday. Quickloaded when a fight was going bad in Ivory Sanctum. When I loaded, for some reason the guardian mob came there with the load. As in it loaded the party in the position they were when I saved, but the enemy from an unexplored room was also there. I went to the chamber where it spawned and another one spawned. Got double the loot, but then I noticed the trap there didn't stop spewing negative energy. And all the scripting is borked, the boss doesn't initiate combat or dialogue when I go to the lab. My last manual save was from 12 hours ago, I fucked around too long so the autosaves and quicksaves got overwritten.

Shadenuat

Arcane
BG1/BG2 are easier solo than with a party.
Most RPG classics collapse to solo in some sort of degenerate way. Like Wiz8 fairy ninja grinding etc.

For me solo players are in the same basket with sorc players and speedrunners, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
Also I don't recall there being so many fucking puzzle in king maker(and not as tedious). So who the fuck asked for more puzzles in the game? Can we find them and kick them in the nuts?

I liked the puzzles themselves, especially the ones from that Heart of Mystery quest, they actually required some thinking and not just usual bruteforcing by clicking randomly for 5 minutes. However the UI was shit, so that could be improved.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Got my save borked yesterday. Quickloaded when a fight was going bad in Ivory Sanctum. When I loaded, for some reason the guardian mob came there with the load. As in it loaded the party in the position they were when I saved, but the enemy from an unexplored room was also there. I went to the chamber where it spawned and another one spawned. Got double the loot, but then I noticed the trap there didn't stop spewing negative energy. And all the scripting is borked, the boss doesn't initiate combat or dialogue when I go to the lab. My last manual save was from 12 hours ago, I fucked around too long so the autosaves and quicksaves got overwritten.
You gotta do the deed sooner or later.

Mortmal

Arcane
never sacrifice spell progression bros. its the best.
Usually yes, but that sorcerer-EK dragon disciple build you should rather see than a self buffing martial with lich merge . Dont think you can reach that high AC with anything else.
A simple 20 crusader/cleric + merging angel is probably as good for melee , i am testing one, and its rare you have to reload.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Usually yes, but that sorcerer-EK dragon disciple build you should rather see than a self buffing martial with lich merge . Dont think you can reach that high AC with anything else.
A simple 20 crusader/cleric + merging angel is probably as good for melee , i am testing one, and its rare you have to reload.

Did my first playthrough on pure crusader angel and even when my attributes were more focused on melee bolt/storm of justice was superior to melee (core difficulty). Ridiculous dmg and aoe.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Wrath should be trick(ier) because you reach level cap faster. And I guess you won't hit every buff (but then, mythics). PKM, PoE, BG, I don't think are hard for soloing.

I find 6 low level characters massively more interesting and challenging than overleveling + exploiting game turning it all into some banality.
Act 1 is brutal solo on unfair, forcing you to rely on guerilla tactics to make any progress. The final fight in A1 being particularly painful to do. A2 is not much better, although amusingly enough the hardest quest to do there would be Sosiel's Companion quest, if you decide to try doing it. You automatically lose if he dies and in the final room he goes charging in and stands in the middle of a pack of skeletons. Once you get into A3 you get so much power from your mythic path+just out leveling enemies that it then does switch in favor of solo over group play.
BG2 + ascension is easier with a party than solo (actually impossible solo).
Its not impossible solo, you can find videos of it on youtube with both SCS and Ascension. Just relies on degenerate tactics as Shadenuat mentioned.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Sharpedge its impossible, the videos you mention on youtube are all using mods.
The only way to win solo is to spam skull traps/delayed fireballs using wish, basically avoiding the fight. If you use SCS cant even do that because skull traps changes.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Get a warrior background and arcane armour training at 1st level
why
you can select arcane training without actual armor feat.
Sig gives you heavy.

Because you'll be spending a fair chunk of time before you get Signifer and it gives you the option of wearing elven chain until you do, along with a few weapon proficiencies and a skill boost.

I don't think many of the other backgrounds offer anything better, either.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I beaten whole BGT as solo single class Druid (no fighter dual). I don't remember if I had Ascension tho, probably not, but likely had some version of SCS maybe.
Last fight is annoying as it is due to Mel summoning demons infinitely, especially when she bugs out due to insect plague.

Because you'll be spending a fair chunk of time before you get Signifer and it gives you the option of wearing elven chain until you do, along with a few weapon proficiencies and a skill boost.

I don't think many of the other backgrounds offer anything better, either.
Backgrounds offer weapon options and interesting skills.
Although Guard, yes, gives Perception which fits with 4 HK skills.

But early game you'll just run in Mage Armor. So picking aa at level 1 seems like a waste, pick it when you find armor/or 1 level before HS.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Did my first playthrough on pure crusader angel and even when my attributes were more focused on melee bolt/storm of justice was superior to melee (core difficulty). Ridiculous dmg and aoe.
Shhhh.. elemental barrage + Djinn aspects perma buffed

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
This guy is using 4 Geniekind to trigger Elemental Barrage so he clearly is gay. Don't investigate further.

At the risk of contracting le gay, I'm curious how he's applying all that damage from Elemental Barrage. He's attacking a 60+ AC target with 36 attack bonus. Was he just fishing for 20s with 13 attacks per round?

Sharpedge

Prophet
Sharpedge its impossible, the videos you mention on youtube are all using mods.
The only way to win solo is to spam skull traps/delayed fireballs using wish, basically avoiding the fight. If you use SCS cant even do that because skull traps changes.

You can also do stuff like abuse wish to refresh all of your spells.

Sharpedge

Prophet

At the risk of contracting le gay, I'm curious how he's applying all that damage from Elemental Barrage. He's attacking a 60+ AC target with 36 attack bonus. Was he just fishing for 20s with 13 attacks per round?
The enemy was flat footed due to impromptu sneak attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom