Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeeeaah, so if we can get a Codex consensus by the time I get home at 4pm US Central, that would be great.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I remember this trailer on either a game disc or PC Gamer disc.

narrator sound familiar? Is that what he did before retiring to a tavern?

WC2

Some sound assets sound like diablo mobs.

Last edited:

m_s0

Arcane
Predictably Battle.net suffered a total nervous collapse on the stroke of 5 PM and now is refusing to talk to me.
Overall, even if you do get in if you're fond of your characters maybe don't start playing yet. They tend to not get saved.

A bit of a shitshow for a company that's been sustaining itself primarily on the world's most popular MMO for almost two decades.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Predictably Battle.net suffered a total nervous collapse on the stroke of 5 PM and now is refusing to talk to me.
Overall, even if you do get in if you're fond of your characters maybe don't start playing yet. They tend to not get saved.

A bit of a shitshow for a company that's been sustaining itself primarily on the world's most popular MMO for almost two decades.
Well, that sucks. Sounds like utter incompetence on their part. BLIZZARD is like that barbarian dude getting splatted and their gates overrun by bnet players.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I guess if D2 will sell enough they might consider a remake for D1 so you know what to do:d1p:
Played for a bit, offline of course, I'm not losing my progress because of their servers.
Game runs mostly fine even on almost maxxed graphics on my old rig.
Necro is very fun to play, I enjoy listening to the bones of my skellies rattling.
There is even a golem to summon:outrage: it looks like a potato golem but the game insists that it's a clay golem but since potatoes come from the earth it's whatever.

Perkel

Arcane
Why they are remastering D2 in the first place? Why not Diablo 1? Do they not know how to count? What were they thinking?

Because D1 is a lot more janky than D2 and D2 only need fresh coat of paint to keep everyone happy rather than to rework game from ground up like you would have to do with D1.

Ash

Arcane
Diablo 1/2 is two of few "classics" I've never played. Should I? I've ignored it thus far as I have always assumed it is an autistic skinner box stat grinding simulator. I've always assumed the core combat you basically mash buttons and watch numbers instead of factors like aiming, positioning, dodging, timing etc being relevant. I assumed the level design to be basic bland and boring. I assumed the whole thing is combat instead of the usual ARPG blend of combat/puzzles/platforming/exploration, And I assumed the RPG systems to not even be that interesting in the first place.
This could all very well be ignorant shit, never played it. Like I said, all assumptions. The game is clearly popular, but I need a monocled gameplay enthusiast to clear the air for me. Classic or shit taste simulator? Most gamers have terrible taste, and these people must be getting bred somewhere. Was it with Diablo perhaps? Or is this a golden oldie I have been a fool to shun?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There are 2 separate categories of chars - online and offline. No problem with my offline char yet, I guess it's only a shitshow for the online ones.

Yeeeaah, so if we can get a Codex consensus by the time I get home at 4pm US Central, that would be great.

I'm not a hardcore fan, haven't played D2 for over 15 years, but I'm having a blast. Looks good, plays grate, the new cutscenes are grate too. Been a gigantic nostalgia trip for me, that's my beloved Blizzard when they were still making games "by gamorz for gamorz". Unfortunately my moneyz go to the corporate abomination Blizz has become, catering to retards, normies, manchildren and Chinks but hey, what can you do.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Diablo 1/2 is two of few "classics" I've never played. Should I? I've ignored it thus far as I have always assumed it is an autistic skinner box stat grinding simulator. I've always assumed the core combat you basically mash buttons and watch numbers instead of factors like aiming, positioning, dodging, timing etc being relevant. I assumed the level design to be basic bland and boring. I assumed the whole thing is combat instead of the usual ARPG blend of combat/puzzles/platforming/exploration, And I assumed the RPG systems to not even be that interesting in the first place.

Most of your assumptions are correct but there's also the other side of the scale - great vibe and aesthetics, one of the best videogame soundtracks ever, great loot and tons of interesting builds you can do. For me those things comfortably outweigh the simplistic level design and combat but your mileage may vary.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
This could all very well be ignorant shit, never played it. Like I said, all assumptions. The game is clearly popular, but I need a monocled gameplay enthusiast to clear the air for me. Classic or shit taste simulator? Most gamers have terrible taste, and these people must be getting bred somewhere. Was it with Diablo perhaps? Or is this a golden oldie I have been a fool to shun?

Play Diablo 1

RPK

Scholar
Diablo 1 has a pretty simplistic game loop. but it's soooo moody and atmospheric. it's worth a play.

You're mostly correct, but the games really aren't grindy at all unless you specifically try to go full autism in Diablo 2. Diablo 1 doesn't even respawn monsters so you basically can't grind in SP without hitting the "restart game and carry over your character" button (which is dishonorable). Diablo 2 requires little to no grinding until you are on hell difficulty (the equivalent of NG++) for most characters.

Ash

Arcane
Mood and atmosphere can be found in many games. It's always cool to experience....alongside awesome engaging gameplay. Pass.

Thanks for your honesty and not being blind emotional fanboys.

Give Diablo 1 a try at least. Till you get to level 9 or so of the dungeon. The whole game can be completed in <10 hours easily. It's not like it's a 100 hour investment of your time.

The combat is a bit simplistic but it's not like it's worse than 90% of generic aRPGs/RPGs/FPSs/etc.

jackofshadows

Magister
I've always assumed the core combat you basically mash buttons and watch numbers instead of factors like aiming, positioning, dodging, timing etc being relevant.
It's becoming relevant at some point... but not much. Depends on a class, too.
Classic or shit taste simulator?
If for some bizarre reason classify them as RPGs - then the latter. But no, they are classics - in their own midst. If you don't care about aRPG/slashers at all - skip. Otherwise - start with Diablo 1, see how it goes.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
You should be glad they didn't give her sagging granny tits.
Or a trans dick, and whining voice talking about how demons are proud of being beings of color for all I know what's going on in the US as a new normie standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom