Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Help me find DS games that don't suck!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
As per this post I now have a DS. Dark Spire tipped me over the edge and I finally made the move.

I've kept tabs on games that sounded good, but some I'm not certain about. So...how about some comments/recommendations?

My must-buy list:
Dark Spire
Etrian Odyssey II
Mazes of Fate (possibly GBA version)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Advance Wars Dual Strike or Days of Ruin

Possibles:
GTA China Town Something-a-rather (got good reviews. That Yahtzee guy pissed on it though, but I'm not certain that means anything)
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix (Puzzle Quest was a fun diversion on the PC...)
Suikoden Tierkreis
Chrono Trigger
Civilization Revolution
Panzer Tactics
Front Mission

Probably Nots:
Dragon Quest IV and V (DQVIII was enough)*
Final Fantasy III or IV
The World Ends with You (too weird?)

*I played quite a bit of Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, and while it certainly had some charm, it also had some of the most annoyingly silly creatures etc I have ever encountered. I don't think I can handle that again.
So if I'm going to get an old JRPG "updated for the DS" I think I'm more likely to get Chrono Trigger, which, I am ashamed to say, I've never played in any of its forms.

So, what say you?

Silellak

Cipher
Definitely get Chrono Trigger if you've never played it before. FF4 is my favorite Final Fantasy, so I also greatly enjoyed that remake.

The World Ends with You is something worth considering as well, though it's hardly a 'typical' RPG.

Silellak

Cipher
racofer said:
No fucking way. Get Chrono Trigger for the SNES, not DS.

Why? It runs just as smooth, has additional content, and is portable. Not like the shitty PSX port.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Silellak said:
The World Ends with You is something worth considering as well, though it's hardly a 'typical' RPG.
Hmm... it looks way too odd for me. Thanks anyway.
(Also, I've looked around and the DS version of CT has been described as the "definitive version", so yeah it's looking even more probable)

Silellak

Cipher
Shagnak said:
Silellak said:
Hmm... it looks way too odd for me. Thanks anyway.
(Also, I've looked around and the DS version of CT has been described as the "definitive version", so yeah it's looking even more probable)

I believe there's an improved translation, as well. Though, unlike FF4, the original translation was already pretty solid.

Phelot

Arcane
Isn't there a few Castlevania games for the DS? I love those games...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Obediah said the 40k tactics game Squad Command was pretty good. I've tried it on an emulator but the performance is way too shitty for me to actually tey it.
Also if you haven't played the Advance Wars games before those are pretty good.

obediah

Erudite
If you like the Anno games, there is a pretty nice version for the DS. I got bored with city builders, so I didn't get far, but it was done well.

Panzer Tactics DS is pretty good. More meat than the Advance Wars games.

There are two TB Age of Empires games that are decent strategy games. I've only played the first, and it was fun. I got bored after 15-20 hours, but you should be able to get it cheap used.

The EndWar port for DS is TB, and reviews were good. I haven't tried it though.

Picross is still my favorite DS game. Just a puzzle game, but it engaged me more than any other I've played. Caused problems, because I tend to play the DS for 10-15 minutes before bed, and I would spend 2-3 hours chewing puzzles and be royally fucked for the morning.

I've played several of the old Final Fantasy's, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest ports - they all seem technically fine. But meh - I'm closer to 50 than 15 and a young boys quest to save the world by pushing 'A' 50,000 times and meeting zany cliched characters doesn't do it for me anymore. After my 15 year high school reunion the thought of marrying childhood friends has no more charm ( uh - fatties! )

Same with the more generic jrpg DS originals, the Luminous Arcs have ok mechanics, but nothing special and the stories are bad.

The Front Mission port is okay if you can find it cheap. I wish combat was deeper, but at least I'm not farming random encounters.

I tried TWEwY, and I thought it was a super suckfest of epic proprtions. No trusty rpgs mechanics to speak off, and combat was trying to pull off street fighter combos on two different screens at the same time. About as far from my definition of fun as you can get.

Gameplay-wise, Suikoden Tierkreis and the Blue Dragon tactical game are supposed to be pretty good. Also the Devil Summoner game is coming out, which hopefully will be good.

If you have a GBA port, go for Rebelstar Tactical Command, Yggdra Union, and Ogre Tactics. Surprisingly, the eragon port was a nice little jrpg on the GBA.

kingcomrade said:
Obediah said the 40k tactics game Squad Command was pretty good. I've tried it on an emulator but the performance is way too shitty for me to actually tey it.
Also if you haven't played the Advance Wars games before those are pretty good.

No - I really liked it on the PSP. Everything I heard about the DS port was shit shit shit. Which is unusual, considering the nice ports the DS usually gets.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Order of Ecclesia. Though the "good" ending is laughably bad as always.

Fuckers. Can't not mess with a strong heroine.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chrono Trigger for the DS is great -- it has a much better translation than the often inaccurate and poorly done SNES one. The new content is okay, though it's mostly just a lot of fighting, so it can get repetitive, but one of the new areas (Time Vortex or something) helps to bridge the gap somewhat between CT and Chrono Cross.

Suikoden Tierkreis is sorta Suikoden-lite. Battles only have four characters, are extremely easy, and happen quite often, so they get really repetitive really fast. Probably because they went with (ugly) 3D graphics and a lot of (often bad) voice acting, they cut out a lot of normal Suikoden stuff like duels and war battles. There are still 108 Stars of Destiny, but outside of their recruitment quest, the game doesn't really do much with most of them. The world and lore they've crafted throughout the series is mostly gone as well since this one takes place in some weird alternate reality. All that said, though, it's still a decent game if you're into JRPGs.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
All four Phoenix Wright games for starters. Those games alone are worth getting a DS even though the later episodes introduce a couple of stupid things that was made especially when the series was ported to the DS. BLOW INTO THE MICROPHONE, RETARD!! BLOW ALL THAT FINGERPRINT DUSTING DUST SHIT OFF THE SCREEN!! BLOW AS HARD AS YOU CAN!! Still: extremely fun games. Andyman Messiah's Seal of Motherfucking Approval.

Chrono Trigger I would actually get for the SNES. There's an improved translation out there right now that kicks the shit out of the DS one, although the DS one is a helluva improvement over the original translation... The only thing you're really missing out on will be a new battle arena stuff, a couple of winnable items and a crappy new movement system. (Seriously Nintendo, I can show you where to stick this fucking stylus!) Oh, and you can also take Chrono Trigger with you wherever you go, I guess. I'll let you be the judge about all this new content. To me, none of it really warrants a purchase.

Dragon Quest. They're remaking a whole bunch of old DQ-games and you gotta fucking get 'em all. Unless you get them for NES and SNES, of course. But then again, some of those were never properly translated so, unlike CT, this might warrant a purchase. Also: they're good games. Only thing wrong with them is that they use a 3D engine and I can't stand that. You have perfectly fine 2D, why would you fuck that up? Pogo sticks!

Luminous Arc 1 and 2 are so anime!! it hurts and I didn't have fun with the turnbased combat either.

Rune Factory 1 and 2. I haven't played the second one yet but I didn't care for the first one.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 might be something. It's certainly good but I always have a hard time with cute anime characters. This one is even more cute than the first one although it doesn't look like it. Still: somewhat tactical turnbased combat.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is just as fun as the rest of the games. Get it!

The World Ends With You is just as fun as getting fucked in the ass by Galactus. Get it?

Sprung is a mixed bag. Some might say it's so bad it's good and some might say it's so bad it's bad. Personally I'm kind of in the middle.

Last but not least I'd steal Sonic Chronicles, put it a box, take a big shit in the box and send it to Bioware with a warning that there will be consequences if they ever make a sequel. I will get in my huge robot and destroy their fucking orifices for making one of the worst DS-games ever and definitely one of the worst Sonic-games ever.

edit: Suikoden Tierkreis is one hell of a mixed bag. It's too easy, the characters are boring and sometimes even offensive (main character, I'm looking at you, punk) and the story is more "blind faith is evil, chosen ones must fight" bullshit, unlike the previous Suikodens this one have no surprises or anything that makes it good. The fact that you have to sometimes sit through ten minutes of screens where your characters automatically goes from place to place and talks shit without your input, pretty much sealed the deal for me: it's a bad game! BUT I CAN'T STOP PLAYING OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Chrono Trigger - without any doubt.

Final Fantasy III - give it a chance FF4 is unneccessary if you played the GBA one.

Advance Wars Dual Strike / Days of Ruin: If you've never played AW on any other console then get DS - it's quite similar to AW2 on the GBA. If you know them (and you are able to stand Anime) get Days of Ruin.

Civilization DS: fresh take on a familiar concept.

Magical Starsign - cute and cheap.

Puzzle Quest - shouldn't be sold to minors, because it's so ADDICTIVE!

Etrian Odyssey games: If you are into dungeon crawlers - look no further than this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'd like to give you a run-down of the games I have on my DS card.

First, however, regarding your list: I'd rather get EO 1 than 2 if I were you, more broken, more charming, more challenging. Also, please definitely get Mazes of Fate for the GBA, not the DS. Chrono Trigger DS is the very best port of a SNES game I have ever seen - it is just fantastic in every way, and I daresay even more fun than the "original". It's this good mostly because they didn't try to improve anything- they kept it all the same, with some subtle things added here and there. Final Fantasy 4 is also good- but it follows a different philosophy. Instead of just taking what is there it tries to improve it a lot- fancy 3D graphics, much improved writing, and so on. Perhaps not for everybody. For you, Shagnak you old dungeon crawler, however, Final Fantasy 3 on the DS might be more appealing- you get to select your classes, which is to me always a plus.

Here we go!

Games that aren't RPG or Platformer

Advance Wars: Ruined Earth (or some other subtitle)
This is a vastly simplified tactical game where you move tanks, infantry and artillery about to defeat the enemy. Luckily, all the story can be skipped. Not too bad.

Age of Empires
I have this, but never played it. Somehow, the idea of turn-based AoE is odd to me. Perhaps worth a try?

Anno 1701
Here's a very German game you might like! It's like the older Anno games, only lacking the very charming music and suffering from the small screen.

Apollo Justice
The fourth Phoenix Wright game... they should have stopped at 3.

100 Books Collection
Well, it passes time!

Civilization
Haven't played it much, but so far it looks almost exactly like Civ 1 or 2, so this might be a winner.

New York Times Crossword Puzzles
Well- if you like crossword puzzles, that is.

Fire Emblem Shadow Something
A very simplistic tactical game, similar to Advance Wars, with a terrible amount of story- it can, however be skipped, and the game is quite nice and challenging.

Hotel Dusk
A simple, but somewhat quite pretty Japanese adventure that seems fairly western and reminds me of a mix of Myst and Prisoner of Ice, I don't know why.

Korg Synthesizer
Not a game, but it's really fun to make your own melodies with this complicated little software. Makes me wish I was a sound engineer and actually knew what all these plugs and buttons do.

Mario Kart
Fairly weak entry in my opinion... then again, they're all the same. I guess Mario Kart was more of a one-trick pony that was great on the SNES/N64 and becomes less enjoyable the more you play new ones.

Panzer Tactics
Hex-based Panzer General-like strategy (tactics) game. Dry, but you might like it for that!

Retro Game Challenge
I recommend this, it makes you play Galaga and some ancient RPG and other games and complete challenges to escape some evil genius or something.

Trauma Center
No.

Worms
Seems like an ungodly hybrid of Warmageddon and W2- I'm not sure if Worms is fun on a small screen or alone.

RPG

Animal Crossing
No.

Chrono Trigger
Highly recommended, it is most definitely one of the best RPGs from Japan with fine music- but of course it's still Japanese so you may end up disliking it. Still, it's a really good port from the SNES.

Dark Spire
Doh, my favorite game on the DS so far.

Dragon Quest 4 & 5
Higher Game recommended those- I am not sure if he was being ironic. At any rate, I read that DQ games are really long and each of them should take 100 hours or so, also one of the two apparently spans generations in-game, which could be interesting. Later DQ games let you select your class, so maybe there's something in those two for you.

Etrian O. 1&2
Wizardry-clones with graphics and a sometimes broken (ie easy to abuse/misuse) character system. The only distraction are the loli, but you really only see them in the equip and character creation screens. Very good games aside of that. If you don't like to grind at least a little, why'd one want to play Wizardry anyway?

Final Fantasy 3 & 4
I'd get 4 over 3; it's such a "finished" product. 3 allows far more party-customization, though- 4 has none. It's still the better game; a childhood favorite.

Mazes of Fate
Get the GBA version, this one's just bad.

Orcs and Elves
What'd happen if the creators of Doom made an RPG? This. It's... turn-based Doom 2 with swords and magic. It's pretty damn cool. But it will only last you for maybe six, seven hours.

Rune Factory 2
This is a game like Harvest Moon... except it has so many damn things in it that I haven't wanted to get into it. So pass.

The World Ends With You
Terrible, the art style is offensive to my eyes. It's a pretty dumb game. But I think I'd like it if I was 13! It tries to be hip really hard.

Platformers

Castlevania: Something of Something
These games are all the same, and all terrible. The only one worth playing is Symphony of the Night on the PSX, after that they're all the EXACT SAME GAME. Sure, the levels are different, there's some changes in the system, but- and all that anime-crap, too. Give them a pass.

Contra 4
A manly arcade game! This'd be great to show your kids how manly you are, since this game is controller-breakingly difficult. A great game.

Kirby Superstar Ultra Deluxe
Another faithful remake of a great SNES game, just with nicer graphics and a few extras. Very fun, especially for the little ones!

Mario 64
Well... it's Mario 64. I can't say I like playing it on the DS, but- it's Mario 64.

Megaman ZXA
I have /no/ idea what this game is about, just don't get it.

The New Super Mario Bros
Ugggh, no. Who wants New Mario Bros when they can have the old ones?

Wario Disguise Something
Terrible. What have they done to Wario?

--

Anyway, in short, I'd recommend Advance Wars, Etrian O. 1 and 2 for you, Orcs & Elves, that hex-based Panzer game and the Korg synthesizer. And of course Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4. And that Fire Emblem game if you never played one before, you might dig it- or not. I know I don't.

deuxhero

Arcane
My comments on a few of the ones mentioned

Ace Attorney, the 2nd game is a little meh (except the final case) but is required for the 3rd games plot. The rest is pretty fun, but hella short.

Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark conflict: I found it enjoyable, but if you live in Europe, import Days of Ruin, Dark Conflict has a pretty mundane script while Days of Ruin has some excellent parts (for example, expanding Lin's deapan and the addtiion of Mr. Bear) due to a less direct translation in cases. Decent challenge when going for s ranks .

Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon, Little weak on the story, most of the additions to the story from the original NES game reference the JP only Mystery of the Emblem (and thus you are not going to get them), Tiers are a little more lob sided than previous games, with the exceptioin of a few characters, anyone who joins early is godly in bases and growths, while everyone who joins latter falls flat. The save system (2 once use save points per map) leads to some pretty easy arena abuse. Decent challenge.

aries202

Erudite
If you're into adventure games, there are a few adventure games coming out the DS or already released. I know that the first Broken Sword is about to be relased on the DS, as well as the new Runaway game will also be released on the DS. I think Syberia 1 and 2 also are planned for the DS?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Woah. That's a lot of recommendations, thanks guys.

kingcomrade said:
Obediah said the 40k tactics game Squad Command was pretty good
obediah said:
No - I really liked it on the PSP. Everything I heard about the DS port was shit shit shit.
I'm actually getting this for free from a friend, because it's so shit and he just wants to get rid of it. It's the only DS game he owns as he only bought it because his girls have a DS and he thought he'd take advantage of the fact. I'd actually heard it was okay, but like obediah says that must have been the PSP version.

Suikoden Tierkreis: based on comments I'm a little less sure of this one now. Might be annoying.

Advance Wars Dual Strike or Days of Ruin: yeah, one of these are definitely a go.
(I'll also keep an eye out for Panzer Tactics. I love Panzer General II on the PC.)

Civilization: was considering it, but was worried it might be a bit too dumbed down. I'll add it to my possibles.

Orcs & Elves: I actually already own this on my cell phone!

A question about FF III: you get to choose character classes? To what other degrees is there freedom? I've only played some of the the newer FFs - FF VII, FFVIII on the PSX (finished VII, got sick of VIII) and FFX on the PS2, and they seem very rail roaded for the main part.
FFX added some interesting character dev stuff, but the linearity and the supremely annoying characters really fucked me off. I still got right to the end but only because I played it while I was in a family hostel (while the kids were in hospital) and I had not a lot else to do.
Can you wander about a bit more in FFIII than in the later ones?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shagnak said:
A question about FF III: you get to choose character classes? To what other degrees is there freedom? I've only played some of the the newer FFs - FF VII, FFVIII on the PSX (finished VII, got sick of VIII) and FFX on the PS2, and they seem very rail roaded for the main part.
FFX added some interesting character dev stuff, but the linearity and the supremely annoying characters really fucked me off. I still got right to the end but only because I played it while I was in a family hostel (while the kids were in hospital) and I had not a lot else to do.
Can you wander about a bit more in FFIII than in the later ones?

Please know that what I'm about to say comes from playing the originals, not the DS versions.

In FF3, as you progress the story, you unlock certain classes. You can make every of your four members in the party any class. There is no cross-classing, or special unlockable skills that could be used by a class that doesn't already have that skill.
(This is very different from Final Fantasy 5: in 5, every party member can be every class. As he levels up in the class, he gains "skills" (such as dual-wielding, or White Magic). Once he has those skills, he can choose /one/ of them to be used with a different class. For example you can give White Magic to your warrior, or Dual Wield to your Time Mage.)

If you are curious, 4 does not have any sort of class choice, or any choice. You are stuck with whatever character you have and whatever party you may have at this point in the story, and they can not be customized, though I heard in the DS version you can give them some simple additional skills such as [Automatically Drink A Potion When Hurt].

I do not think you would enjoy 4 since it is so story-knit, but it has very enjoyable combat challenges.

I think you might like 3 because it is certainly the most "oldschool" Final Fantasy you may get on the DS, and as we all know, these Japanese games originated from western Wizardry and such. Be aware that you won't get to choose any classes until about one or two hours into the game, or maybe forty minutes.

It also has undeniably more freedom of where to go than 10 - but it is still rather linear. However there's a nice and big world map, multiple of them actually, and navigating that is still more satisfying than choosing destinations from a list.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
In FF3, as you progress the story, you unlock certain classes. You can make every of your four members in the party any class. There is no cross-classing, or special unlockable skills that could be used by a class that doesn't already have that skill.
DS version is the same way. It was a mildly fun game imo but it requires a bit too much grinding. Some of the boss fights can be pretty challenging though, the final boss in particular was a real bitch even with a high level party.

Speaking of Finl Fantasy, anybody know if that new FF Tactics game for DS is worth checking out? I liked the original on the PSX.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Not sure, but I heard the GBA FFT games are not nearly as good as the PSX one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom