Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Field of Glory II: Medieval

razvedchiki

Erudite
ι suspect the rapidness of the dlcs has to do with empires 2.

oscar

Arcane
After playing two tournaments knights seem a little underpowered in multiplayer. Even against the most typical infantry of the era (undrilled, heavy foot, medium-quality, protected, defensive spears) they only have around 20-35% chance of winning the combat or else they bounce off. Their small unit size means they also feel attrition pretty heavily and are fairly easy to shoot to pieces despite their armour. I did much better in the previous tournament (won my division in fact) with my Highland Scots army what has no knights. They only seem primed towards smashing lancers or massed bowmen formations (but then again, just about anything can do the latter).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.slitherine.com/news/field-of-glory-ii-medieval-swords-and-scimitars-out-now
Field of Glory II: Medieval - Swords and Scimitars - out now

Published on September 23, 2021
b27cef8b29df5b778b886814739818f5a68150a8.jpg

Swords and Scimitars is out now.

The second DLC for Field of Glory II: Medieval takes you into conflicts that have inflamed South-Eastern Europe and the Middle East from 1040 AD to 1270 AD.

Play some of the bloodiest battles of the Crusades. Relive the final flowering and the decline of the Byzantine empire as well as the Mongol invasion of the middle east, which was only halted by the Mamluk Egyptians.

Swords and Scimitars comes with 20 more nations and factions and 35 more units.

Brand new units include: early and later Templar and Hospitaller knights, Turcopoles, Turcoman cavalry, Indian horse archers, Axe-armed Varangian guards, and more.

Relive 8 more historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period as well as 4 more historically-based campaigns covering major leaders and conflicts of the era: Alexios Komnenos, The First Crusade, Manuel Komnenos, Saladin.

Moreover, the DLC will be added to the Field of Glory II: Medieval - Complete Bundle, already containing Field of Glory II: Medieval and Reconquista with an additional 20% discount for a week.

Answer the call to arms, the battle never stops in Field of Glory II: Medieval - Swords and Scimitars.

Beowulf

Arcane
Already have it. FoG is the only game series, where I can turn a blind eye on their DLC practices.
The game is just too good, and the MP scene is still very active.

The devs also commented that they'd like to bring their other games (Pike & Shot and Sengoku Jidai) to FoG2 engine.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The active multiplayer scene really is that good, it makes the game worth it. Original FoG was the same way, very easy to find a match and people are pretty competent and take their turns in a reasonable timeframe.

Beowulf

Arcane
really wish they still used the models from the first field of glory game, the current 3d ones lack detail and are godamn ugly like proto 3d grafics from 20 years ago.
While I agree, that models are low poly, the whole point was to give them "miniatures" look down to shield designs from https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/
I think it was a right call, given they didn't have the budget (or skill) to reach Total War animation and modeling standard.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
really wish they still used the models from the first field of glory game, the current 3d ones lack detail and are godamn ugly like proto 3d grafics from 20 years ago.
While I agree, that models are low poly, the whole point was to give them "miniatures" look down to shield designs from https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/
I think it was a right call, given they didn't have the budget (or skill) to reach Total War animation and modeling standard.

If memory serves, the old model format was causing delays and made it harder to mod new units in. They needed the actual painted minis for each unit and then made digital versions of them. Whereas this new format is much quicker and easier, especially for modders.

oscar

Arcane
The strong and courteous MP scene really make this game (it's funny talking to them, half of the playerbase are in their 50s). I'm representing NZ in the new world tournament matches.

I can't recommend enough joining a division or two (if you try to do every single one the turn workload gets a bit much) in the Digital League tournaments. Still time to sign up on the Slitherine forums.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013

I wish they used the even more low-res infantry block aesthetic from P&S, Sengoku Jidai, etc. Zoomed out it is very effective and conveys the aesthetic of massed troops much better than "eight guys taking a flag for a walk".

I also think the animations are unnecessary and just make turn resolution drag on forever while you wait for the troops to do their little dance before you get combat results.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Just gave the Storm of Arrows DLC a try and overall I'm very disappointed by the historical battles, not only in this module, but in FoG II: Medieval as a whole. I can live with the less-than-stellar research, but my biggest issue is with certain scenario design choices. They seem to want to compress the ground scale as much as possible and, worst of all, to put you in the commander's seat at the point in which the two armies are almost about to slam into each other. I had already noticed this issue, especially in the Bouvines scenario in the base game, but in some of the latest battles it's worse than ever, starting at knife-fight range with little to no manoeuver possible.

It's such a pity Odenathus passed away two years ago. He was a scholar and a gentleman, and the scenarios he designed stood head and shoulders above the stuff produced by the professionals.

razvedchiki

Erudite
if i remember correctly there isnt any preliminary skirmishing in the fog2 ancients battles either, the battle begins with the armies already formed up and ready for battle.
you can pretty much predict the screeching of ThE gAmErs if the game allowed to disrupt and surprise during the deployment phase.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The devs also commented that they'd like to bring their other games (Pike & Shot and Sengoku Jidai) to FoG2 engine.

That would be awesome. I already love how you can mix and match any historical armies against each other with FoG2 and Medieval. Expanding that to the early modern age and to Asia would be perfect.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
That would be awesome. I already love how you can mix and match any historical armies against each other with FoG2 and Medieval. Expanding that to the early modern age and to Asia would be perfect.

It would also make the cracks in the system more apparent. Way too much whataboutism for an allegedly serious game.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
But how are the campaigns for Storm of Arrows?

I only play single player for the campaigns. Field of Glory: Ancients had the laziest, most phoned in shit-tier campaigns imaginable (see my let's play of xenophon for example). Is medieval any better?

Regardless, multiplayer is golden in FoG.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I haven't paid much attention to the campaigns because I feel the AI doesn't provide much of a challenge in a head-on engagement, I prefer to approach handcrafted scenarios as a puzzle in which the design itself is meant to provide a challenge rather than relying on the computer's limited intelligence. That being said it seems the campaigns in Storm of Arrows are the same as in Ancients, i.e. they walk you through a set series of engagements following a chronological order but without any meaningful decisions on your part. Nothing like the campaign in Pike and Shot: Campaigns, which at least had map mechanics.

Unfortunately I don't play multiplayer, life's hectic and I already have a hard time squeezing in some singleplayer every now and then.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I can somewhat forgive the lack of real branching paths if they pay attention to the source material and drop a lot of factoids/references so you feel like you're playing out some historical narrative. The Xenophon campaign was especially egregious because although they evidently did a little research, they failed to clearly indicate how the campaign was mapping on to history. So the player was left to figure out, "oh this must be the Battle of Koroneia", or else be totally lost.

As for difficulty, I feel doing max difficulty is a significant challenge (despite also being absolutely ridiculous in terms of the lopsided armies).

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Yeah, and to be fair many of the more "challenging" historical scenarios simply involve putting you in a nigh-impossible situation and wishing you good luck so it's not that different from playing against overwhelming odds. I managed to beat the Aljubarrota scenario from Storm of Arrows as Castile but it's just silly, it's entirely reliant on the RNG gods favoring the AI-controlled men-at-arms while you sit back ready to exploit the (hypothetical) breakthrough. Not challenging as much as it is tedious. And yes, I get that the whole point of the module is Anglo string-on-a-stick wunderwaffe wank, but conversely hanging back in an ideal defensive position while the enemy mindlessly crashes into you isn't much fun either.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
No post celebrating the release of Rise of the Swiss?

I got it and played through the Bosworth Field battle as Henry Tudor on Duke difficulty. It was actually a good experience; it was neck and neck the whole time, and the battle has interesting events where certain nobles will declare for a faction and join the battle, or decide the battle isn't going well and just depart. I enjoyed it enough that I continued playing past the break point limit to trap and kill the opposing general/pretender.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
A very interesting DLC with some quite radically different new lists (principally the Swiss and the Hussites).

Swiss infantry (halberdiers in the early lists than the classic huge pike blocks) are fast moving (three squares!) and pretty much unstoppable in open terrain. New keil classification makes them and their landsknecht imitators immune to side flanking as well unless they take enough losses to jeopardise the formation.

The new war wagons are pretty interesting too coming in both artillery and infantry varieties. Even mobile they're reasonably sturdy against most junk infantry or light cavalry and when deployed you've pretty much just got to try shoot them to pieces.

Looking forwards to playing around with these lists more, they've shaken the game up quite a bit. Late medieval/early renaissance in general is getting quite monstrous with heavy armour, artillery, handguns and monster pike blocks abounding. The War of the Roses English factions are quite interesting too with a mixture of dismounted knights, billmen and insane amounts of longbowmen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom