Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime CRPG Book - Call for reviews

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd love to see Dungeon Rats included. Maybe Gujian 3.

I doubt you care about side scrolling games, but Salt and Sanctuary is Souls series in 2D, with a touch of metroidvania.

There's probably a few more, but I don't know if you want suggestions or not.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd really like to write up "The Adventure Construction Set" - may be tricky in 400 words, but I still play Rivers of Light fairly frequently, and have used the tools included.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm curious, did you run into any blobbers while researching the article on Chinese games? I've been thinking about refreshing my skills with that language, and playing some RPGs seems like a fun way to practice reading and get some use out of my dictionary. I have an English copy of Seal of Evil somewhere, but I doubt it includes the Chinese language version. 决战朝鲜 sounds like an interesting strategy game that I'll have to check out, but I'll probably start with 阿貓阿狗 Tun Town since it's more on my reading level.
I found only one first-person Chinese RPG: 禁忌之岛 , an eroge for Android about hot girls & zombies.

I'd love to see Dungeon Rats included. Maybe Gujian 3.

I doubt you care about side scrolling games, but Salt and Sanctuary is Souls series in 2D, with a touch of metroidvania.
Gujian 3 is already being added. But true, Salt & Sanctuary is a good suggestion. I can't include every single Dark Souls clone, but IIRC it was the first 2D adaptation and it's a really good game, they nailed the dark souls + metroidvania mix. Would you be interested in doing 1 page on it?

Has anyone ever read that rpg book?
The PDF around 160,000 downloads and the physical edition sold almost 5,000 copies, I'm happy with the results.

This will likely be the last update I do, I just want to add important games I missed and the whole thing about non-english RPGs, MMOs & PC hardware. Every year there's like 500 new RPGs on Steam, it's not feasible to keep adding them... that's why I'm not adding many recent game, the focus is getting the older ones right.

This will likely be the last update I do, I just want to add important games I missed and the whole thing about non-english RPGs, MMOs & PC hardware. Every year there's like 500 new RPGs on Steam, it's not feasible to keep adding them... that's why I'm not adding many recent game, the focus is getting the older ones right.

Adding new games seems like the most effective way of keeping the book in the public attention.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Adding new games seems like the most effective way of keeping the book in the public attention.
Yes, but each update also takes a ton of work... months of my free time. I don't want to keep doing this forever. The project is under creative commons, someone else can keep updating it if there's interest.

Yes, but each update also takes a ton of work... months of my free time. I don't want to keep doing this forever. The project is under creative commons, someone else can keep updating it if there's interest.

Many people wouldn't consider this a legit continuation. Yes, people aren't rational.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Many people wouldn't consider this a legit continuation. Yes, people aren't rational.
I doubt it... most people outside the Codex & my twitter bubble think of it as the "Bitmap Books' CRPG Book". I'm not the author, I'm the editor, it's a big difference.

Anyway, we'll deal with that when (and IF) it happens. For now the focus is to finish this 2nd edition and make it the best possible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I'd guess part of the problem with this is that anyone can claim to continue the project. This is why I much fancy something like having a git repository. That way anyone can (try to) contribute and there's still a pretty clear "this is the real continuation" feeling. Obviously someone or some people still need to be the ones with admin rights.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'd guess part of the problem with this is that anyone can claim to continue the project. This is why I much fancy something like having a git repository. That way anyone can (try to) contribute and there's still a pretty clear "this is the real continuation" feeling. Obviously someone or some people still need to be the ones with admin rights.
Humm, I was told to do a git repository before, but couldn't fit it, as the book is around 5GB due to all the images... now seems like they increased the maximum size to 10GB, so should be possible.

Last time I uploaded the entire project on google drive, maybe this time I'll finish it and put everything on git hub instead.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'd really like to write up "The Adventure Construction Set" - may be tricky in 400 words, but I still play Rivers of Light fairly frequently, and have used the tools included.
This one I'm willing to let it be a 2 page entry, since you have to explain how it works, so feel free to use 900 words if needed :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The biggest pity on ACS is the loss of the old club and the dozens upon dozens of creation entries. So few exist even from the online archives. Be a damn gold mine if prople found any of those and uploaded them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
- SpellForce 1-3 series overlook

Paging Lacrymas (and also for any card-based games)
I could do it, but I've only finished Spellforce 1. 900 words for 3 games as diverse as the Spellforce series is imo not enough. I spent ~7k on the base Spellforce 1 alone. felipepepe what exactly do you want in terms of content, i.e. what should the article talk about?
:whatho:

Are you saying that you didn't finish the second one and the third one ??? The first one was the weakest maybe,it is more of RTS than rpg.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I could write Torment, given that I am one of the few people on dex who do not straight up loathe the game.
I did however only come across the game long after the entire kickstarter show was done, so I could only comment on what the game is, not on what they advertised it as.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I could write Torment, given that I am one of the few people on dex who do not straight up loathe the game.
I did however only come across the game long after the entire kickstarter show was done, so I could only comment on what the game is, not on what they advertised it as.
But that will be dishonest in a way. I mean,the game is total shit,i to didn't fallow the drama and just played the game,even am replaying it now to see if it was that shit. And it is pretty shit. It lacks interesting story,good mechanics and decent writing.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
But that will be dishonest in a way. I mean,the game is total shit,i to didn't fallow the drama and just played the game,even am replaying it now to see if it was that shit. And it is pretty shit. It lacks interesting story,good mechanics and decent writing.

That is an echochamber sentiment. Game is at 71% steam, 6.9 Metacritic users, both Codex and Rpgwatch (lol) steam curators recommend it.
The game is mediocre, and has drawn a lot of rage by people who feel scammed from the kickstarter (half the codex) and a lot of ill will from trying to be PST too hard instead of being its own thing.
I think it would be more interesting to have someone write a review who knows the details about the cut content, as an example the weird underwater desert oasis you only visit once with the memory oasis and then suddenly at the end of the game was supposed to be an entire hub area, and is featured prominently on the kickstarter page.
But just having someone write a slating review is more intellectually dishonest in this case, since while the game is nowhere near a masterpiece or able to live up to its inspiration it is also a long road from actual shit rpgs, and even better than some other mediocre ones.
I would go so far as to say that it is better than Bard's Tale IV and about even to Wasteland II, to stick with InXiles other games in comparison.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That is an echochamber sentiment. Game is at 71% steam, 6.9 Metacritic users, both Codex and Rpgwatch (lol) steam curators recommend it.
The game is mediocre, and has drawn a lot of rage by people who feel scammed from the kickstarter (half the codex) and a lot of ill will from trying to be PST too hard instead of being its own thing.
I think it would be more interesting to have someone write a review who knows the details about the cut content, as an example the weird underwater desert oasis you only visit once with the memory oasis and then suddenly at the end of the game was supposed to be an entire hub area, and is featured prominently on the kickstarter page.
But just having someone write a slating review is more intellectually dishonest in this case, since while the game is nowhere near a masterpiece or able to live up to its inspiration it is also a long road from actual shit rpgs, and even better than some other mediocre ones.
I would go so far as to say that it is better than Bard's Tale IV and about even to Wasteland II, to stick with InXiles other games in comparison.
:deathclaw:
It is the kodex sentiment,which is accurate for it. If pepe wants a steam review it would have asked one from there. What is the point of asking for a kodexian opinion and ending up with a generic steam view? Every place/forum is in a way echo-chamber,places have their flow of opinions and view,and people are conformists by nature. You just want to present a median opinion of the game,which is not accurate kodexian opinion.

I think that bt4 is a better game in every aspect,but w2 is on the same level of shit as numanuma.

Anyway,it is up to you two to decide what to write.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

I disagree, I think you have a very sober take on it and details of Kickstarter drama aren't relevant in a short review for people who weren't involved. It can be a just a simple acknoledgement of the issues: "Numenera was the most hyped of all RPG Kickstarters, raising 4.2 million USD. However, many backers got outraged as promised features and content got cut, with creative lead Colin McComb apologizing after release for their poor communication. I only came across it long after its release, and think that...."

I know we're used to massive reviews on the front page (when that used to happen), but these reviews are supposed to be short, just summaries of what's interesting about these games. We can't fit a 5 page laundry list of what was cut and why you shouldn't believe Fargo's lies.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I disagree, I think you have a very sober take on it and details of Kickstarter drama aren't relevant in a short review for people who weren't involved. It can be a just a simple acknoledgement of the issues: "Numenera was the most hyped of all RPG Kickstarters, raising 4.2 million USD. However, many backers got upset as promised features and content got cut. I only came across it long after its release, and think that...."
The game's badness have nothing to do with the hype and the butthurt. Portraying something shit as mediocre is dishonest.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Humm, I was told to do a git repository before, but couldn't fit it, as the book is around 5GB due to all the images... now seems like they increased the maximum size to 10GB, so should be possible.

Last time I uploaded the entire project on google drive, maybe this time I'll finish it and put everything on git hub instead.
Not much to be done about massive images I guess, and I guess they don't change often so it should not cause the repo to balloon in size over time.
Coded steam curation is a complete joke, and basically just a list of companies infinitron likes. 71% is also pretty low for a steam game, basically just another version of "good for what it is".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom