Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hitman 2016 released on GOG with online-only features, gets review-bombed - now delisted

Codex Year of the Donut

ADL

Prophet
Yes. It's not that complicated to do either. Unlock everything Hitman 2016 related for online and offline profiles including escalations and elusive contracts. As it stands currently, Hitman 2016 on GOG is just a worse version than what you'd get from the Legacy collection and playing it through Hitman 2/3.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
People are mad about the online-only features basically being DRM on a GOG game.

Because they require Galaxy? I couldn't care less about online shit though.
No, not Galaxy. As I understand it, unless you are online with Hitman's servers, you can't progress the singleplayer properly. You cna play the missions, but you can't unlock weapons etc.
Yes. It's not that complicated to do either. Unlock everything Hitman 2016 related for online and offline profiles including escalations and elusive contracts.
Even Steam users don't get all elusive contracts. They happen and then they go away.

You say it isn't complicated, but you have no idea how complex a task it is or isn't. You're telling them to make large changes to their system for zero benefit to them.
I expect GOG to reject games with DRM in them, yes.
If you complain enough, companies will just not sell their games on GOG. So you may get what you want either way. :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If you complain enough, companies will just not sell their games on GOG. So you may get what you want either way. :M
...ok?
the entire point is the games don't have DRM.
As I said, then keep complaining. I wasn't telling you not to.

I don't object to consumer rights advocacy here. I'm just surprised that any of you are shocked by a game being released on GOG and still being similar to the way it was on Steam.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
This Hitman situation is unbelievable.

What situation?
People are mad about the online-only features basically being DRM on a GOG game.

Isn't this basically what the Steam version has though? Do you expect them to redesign the game for GOG?

Yes, it's bad, but welcome to 2021, where you rent everything, even if you buy it.

Playing devil's advocate and playing logic advocate aren't always the same thing.

There's nothing wrong with competition. If a gamer wants DRM and online goodies, there's literally dozens of storefronts and platforms to use (Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, etc etc). If a gamer want DRM-free and offline downloads, there is but one choice: GOG. And increasingly, with Galaxy and games like Hitman coming along, even that choice is being whittled away.

There is a 'boycott gog 2021' thread at gog. I have a feeling that sentiment wouldn't be going on if gog would just stop being retarded.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
My understanding is that single player progression is locked behind an always online requirement. Weapon unlocks and more. If the servers go down, what remains is an incomplete product.

GOG should not be selling this. The entire point of DRM-free is to avoid this kind of thing.

It sets a terrible precedent for other games to be published on GOG with just a tiny slice of gameplay actually being DRM-free and most of the content requiring an always online connection.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no idea how this game's online systems work, but is it really most of the game being locked behind the online thing? Nothing should be, but I want to survey the damages.

Codex Year of the Donut
I have no idea how this game's online systems work, but is it really most of the game being locked behind the online thing? Nothing should be, but I want to survey the damages.
Apparently it's a significant chunk of the game.
Story and bonus missions can be played offline For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
- SmollestLight, from the GOG team

Can't help but feel there's a bit of false advertising going on here
https://af.gog.com/game/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition?as=1649904300
image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I were a lawyer, I'd say the key words are required to play. You technically don't need an online connection to play ;d

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If a gamer want DRM-free and offline downloads, there is but one choice: GOG.

FWIW there is also Zoom Platform, though they're dwarfed in comparison to GOG. But judging from what i've seen in their discord (where most of the staff can be found) and from a few games i bought there, they do seem to care about game preservation, doing their own scans, rips, etc whenever possible (e.g. they do high resolution manual scans as opposed to GOG's OCR'd scans and some games even have original media/box scans) as well as their own restoration.

And there is also itch.io.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FWIW there is also Zoom Platform, though they're dwarfed in comparison to GOG. But judging from what i've seen in their discord (where most of the staff can be found) and from a few games i bought there, they do seem to care about game preservation, doing their own scans, rips, etc whenever possible (e.g. they do high resolution manual scans as opposed to GOG's OCR'd scans and some games even have original media/box scans) as well as their own restoration
Plus their support was fairly quick to respond on some issues I found on two games which weren't working outta the box.

Azdul

Magister
FWIW there is also Zoom Platform, though they're dwarfed in comparison to GOG. But judging from what i've seen in their discord (where most of the staff can be found) and from a few games i bought there, they do seem to care about game preservation, doing their own scans, rips, etc whenever possible (e.g. they do high resolution manual scans as opposed to GOG's OCR'd scans and some games even have original media/box scans) as well as their own restoration.
Actually, GOG does a lot more when it comes to game preservation on technical level. In many cases GOG prepares version that runs on modern operating systems, which is later sold by the publisher on GOG, Steam and other platforms.

What Zoom has going for it are few mostly forgotten gaming celebrities with contacts in show business in U.S., and CEO that looks like movie star:
MV5BYTU0OGMyMWEtOTgxNS00YTBhLTk0YzItMzY4YmY1OGQ5NGI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzAwNDU4Mjc@._V1_UX200_CR0,0,200,200_AL_.jpg

and gives interviews to Forbes. They have limited catalogue - but also they are not really capable of supporting larger number of games.

GOG is far from perfect. In the ideal world few innovations introduced by GOG (offline installers, optional updates, developers uploading new patches themselves through store API) would be picked up by other stores - but Valve, Epic and Microsoft seem to not care about older games.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I wonder what the refunds on GOG for this Hitman game look like? Or are people just being cucks and taking it up the ass?
Most are probably enjoying the cucking.

At least the review bombing is going strong. IOI will not be happy about this so either them or GOG are bound to do/say something, eventually.

lzwEQ54.png

ADL

Prophet
Cue the "Hitman 2016 is the lowest rated game on GOG" headlines. It just takes one before every outlet does. Can't imagine anything is lower than 1.4/5
"Review bombing", "gamer toxicity" and "consumer entitlement", it practically writes itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom