Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BioSynth: Rising - a turn-based sci-fi isometric RPG

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While the game looks somewhat interesting, the scope of the game, and what you are aiming for seem unrealistic to me. That you guys are all part-timers on this, is one more thing that does not inspire confidence in me or my will to back. I wish you all the best, and I will follow the game from a distance.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
While the game looks somewhat interesting, the scope of the game, and what you are aiming for seem unrealistic to me.
Can you elaborate on this? From our in-depth study, we find it totally doable... even considering accidents.

That you guys are all part-timers on this, is one more thing that does not inspire confidence in me or my will to back.
All the part-time people are freelancers that are doing the same job when not working for us. For example, let me mention that the art director teaches art in an international school for games and comics.

Also, if we got to this point (the game is already working) in our situation, by doing this full-time we can do so much more!

I wish you all the best, and I will follow the game from a distance.
Thank you! Finger crossed!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neptunegames/biosynth/posts/3308560

Slow and Steady

First of all, thank you to every backer and to all the great people that shared the project!

We started 24 hours ago... it was a good start, but not an explosive one.

Can I share something personal?

I'm not an explosive type. I've never done anything explosive in my life.

I've always been the "underdog" in everything. For example, you know when it's time to play sport with friends and you're the last pick? It was me.

So many times I tried something in my life and everyone bet against me.

At first, you'd never bet on me.

You know what? I may not be the explosive type that does everything perfectly at the first attempt. But I'm the kind of person who never gives up.

You could shoot me on a leg (please don't!) and I'd still try to end the race.

This launch reflects that.

We're making slow and steady progress towards our funding goals. And we'll do our best to reach that goal and give you a gem of a game after that.

Luckily, we're not alone. You all guys are helping a ton. And we also got mentioned by quite a few sources just yesterday:

English sources:

Italian sources:

And, of course, also a big thank you to all the great people that shared the project on Twitter.

In the end, we want to share this cool project by fellow italian developers:

Love Notes
is supernatural dating sim where you can play as male or female and romance 4 different characters.

Talk soon!

Mauro D'Andrea - Founder and Director of Neptune Games

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While the game looks somewhat interesting, the scope of the game, and what you are aiming for seem unrealistic to me.
Can you elaborate on this? From our in-depth study, we find it totally doable... even considering accidents.

That you guys are all part-timers on this, is one more thing that does not inspire confidence in me or my will to back.
All the part-time people are freelancers that are doing the same job when not working for us. For example, let me mention that the art director teaches art in an international school for games and comics.

I wish you all the best, and I will follow the game from a distance.
Thank you! Finger crossed!
I'm not a guru, it's just my gut feeling. A big world (I assume), with 3D technology. Lots of effort put into writing and art. Many areas and characters. Lots of branching paths from the beginning of the game, with a moral system and factions. While you may have talented people on the team, it does not matter how good they are if you can only put "part-time" time into development. It means that they have to put their regular work first, and the game second. Say that some of you guys get a hectic period at your work. They need to do that. Momentum in development is very important, and it sounds to me that the way this is set up, momentum could easily be disrupted. I'm saying all of this, not because I am knowledgeable in game development, but because I have seen projects fail before. Usually it's because people can't fully commit. There is also the question of the money you are asking for. Again, I repeat, I am no expert, but the amount seems very low. I counted 14 people with freelancers.

As I said in my first sentence, it's my gut feeling, and so far it's been good. Nothing that I have backed (that got 100% funded) so far, has been cancelled. And almost every crowdfunding project that I had doubts about did not make it to full release.

That's my two cents. It doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, and try your best. I hope you end up making a great game, and I hope it does well, both on Kickstarter and in sales.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sci-fi D:OS clone huh? It begins.

JaOwohu.jpg

:negative: If you're going to showcase your game for the first time, professionalism matters. "Leave me alone" needs a period and the third dialogue option is cut off by the UI. Sloppiness doesn't inspire confidence.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has the quality of Codex posts have degenerated in recent years, or was it always like this? Maybe just in this thread. I would take this opportunity to ask the developer some interesting questions about the game normally, but I absolutely abhor 3D Isometric RPGs so I doubt this game is for someone like me.

Devs seem funny and willing to dialogue so I hope everything goes well and they come out with a product that that I can support. Chances are the game will be shit. I'm rooting for y'all though!

Last edited:

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
I'm not a guru, it's just my gut feeling.
As for the gut feeling that's totally fine. But if you don't work in the field, that means there's a different point of view that you are not considering.

A big world (I assume), with 3D technology. Lots of effort put into writing and art. Many areas and characters. Lots of branching paths from the beginning of the game, with a moral system and factions. While you may have talented people on the team, it does not matter how good they are if you can only put "part-time" time into development. It means that they have to put their regular work first, and the game second. Say that some of you guys get a hectic period at your work. They need to do that. Momentum in development is very important, and it sounds to me that the way this is set up, momentum could easily be disrupted. I'm saying all of this, not because I am knowledgeable in game development, but because I have seen projects fail before. Usually it's because people can't fully commit. There is also the question of the money you are asking for. Again, I repeat, I am no expert, but the amount seems very low. I counted 14 people with freelancers.
Let me be clear on this: our team members are freelancing outside of this project because we couldn't pay their full-time job. With enough funds, all of them but one, can fully commit to this project. And, by the way, we can always hire new people if necessary. There are tons of talented and passionate people who are asking us to onboard them on the team and we can't because we lack the funds.

I dedicated 10 to 14 hours a day for a little more than one year to this project. I spent my saving on it. Do you know anyone right in their mind who would do that without a good plan? I don't. So either you take me for a fool (no problem about that, one can have his/her own opinion) or you assume that the thing is doable.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
If you're going to showcase your game for the first time, professionalism matters. "Leave me alone" needs a period and the third dialogue option is cut off by the UI. Sloppiness doesn't inspire confidence.

So Bethesda and triple A studios can make games with a ton of bugs, some of which pretty bad or even game breaking... and an indie that has been doing an immense work can't have a small grammar mistake? Do you know how many grammar mistakes did DOS had at launch? :)

Sure, you can look at that little mistake there or at the huge amount of detailed things we did. It's your opinion and you're free to have it.

NeptuneGames

Neptune Games
Developer
Has the quality of Codex posts have degenerated in recent years, or was it always like this? Maybe just in this thread. I would take this opportunity to ask the developer some interesting questions about the game normally, but I absolutely abhor 3D Isometric RPGs so I doubt this game is for someone like me.

Devs seem funny and willing to dialogue so I hope everything goes well and they come out with a product that that I can support. Chances are the game will be shit though. I'm rooting for y'all though!

Thank God! Finally someone saying this. Thank you!
:bravo:

MartinK

Learned

She looks more like some sort fuckdoll robot than a dangerous cyborg bounty hunter. I suppose it is challenging to design a dangerous looking female bounty hunter cyborg that also looks sexy, but one would guess people would go into game development for that sort of challenge.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Aight. I'm getting a clearer picture of you, now. You're one of those. Good luck fam.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you're going to showcase your game for the first time, professionalism matters. "Leave me alone" needs a period and the third dialogue option is cut off by the UI. Sloppiness doesn't inspire confidence.

So Bethesda and triple A studios can make games with a ton of bugs, some of which pretty bad or even game breaking... and an indie that has been doing an immense work can't have a small grammar mistake? Do you know how many grammar mistakes did DOS had at launch? :)

Sure, you can look at that little mistake there or at the huge amount of detailed things we did. It's your opinion and you're free to have it.

If one is sloppy enough to not care about fixing mistakes that could take seconds to fix, then that doesn't bode well for the fixing of mistakes that require far more effort.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So Bethesda and triple A studios can make games with a ton of bugs, some of which pretty bad or even game breaking... and an indie that has been doing an immense work can't have a small grammar mistake? Do you know how many grammar mistakes did DOS had at launch?
If a potential fan checks your game out then raises concern. Or shares feedback about a particular aspect that needs improvement. You shouldn't be,"Well Skyrim has a billion bugs. So it's okay if we have a billion bugs too". You're basically creating excuses and ignoring feedback. Most of us don't really know who you are, nor how much work you've put into this project. Indeed we only care about the video game that you're sharing with us. Anyways. In this case, fixing "Leave Me Alone" string to end with a period. Shouldn't be an issue. Probably takes a couple of minutes to address this if you're familiar with the code. Ctrl+f look for line. In regards to the other one, not sure how long that would take to fix. However, a simple, we'll take a look; would have been more sufficient than creating excuses.

Professionalism matters, because it's how you conduct yourself among others. It's how you showcase your best traits; how you stand out from the rest. You want to inspire confidence. Not be that guy who creates excuses or doesn't take feedback seriously - otherwise people wouldn't bother. Lastly, I suggest spreading word of your game outside of here: Reddit, RPGWatch, Steam Groups, etc. Are all communities worth considering. Can also try contacting those youtubers who cover indie projects too. 50k is a bit high unless you heavily market your game, or have a fervent community that spreads word of mouth.

MartinK

Learned

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
The game looks incredible, I'm gonna back this project.

Good luck!

Sinatar

Arbiter

Having a bug or text error in a game is one thing, but these are PR shots you've released to advertise your game. I guarantee you aren't going to find official screenshots from the publisher of those aforementioned Bethesda/AAA games with typos and text errors in them. Very little effort on your part can go a long way in presenting your product as a professional production and not another unity asset flip.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neptunegames/biosynth/posts/3309594

Love and Care

Probably, you could already tell it by quite a few things, but...

BioSynth is a game in which we put a ton of love and care.

Watch this video:

These are the dresses for the civilians that you saw on the trailer (made by our amazing character artist Clara Lollo). In the trailer they were small and you couldn't look at the details... but as you can see from the video, there are a ton of details in the dresses.

And that's just one example.

You can see the huge amount of care that the skilled Simone Giraudo put in his "slumobots":
Or look at the love and details that the talented Valerio Barchi put in his characters:

8e26759bf9a32ae39906a3de81062c23_h264_high.jpg

I could continue for hours, but we'll have the time to talk about this.

Before I go, let me share the intriguing 13:ORIGIN with you. It's a series of riddles and puzzle games tied to a story that has been going on for decades.

And take a look at the cool Akita: King Pig Thinks Pink.

It's a 2D adventure-platformer metroidvania with hand-drawn animations, for 1-2 player local co-op. Explore a fantasy world full of secrets and enchanting creatures, fight monsters and solve puzzles. You will have the help of different allied characters with unique abilities, and you will also be able to equip yourself with items, powers and weapons.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

What aboutism does not help you or your team. All it does is use tired old excuses for not improving yourself or your product to be lazy. The proper way to handle this would have been, "Thank you for catching that. We'll fix it for next update. Would you be interested in editing all the visible text and what would your rate be?" That alone will ingratiate you to your potential customers. Otherwise, this comment only serves to highlight that you're a thin-skinned 5 year old that can't take constructive criticism.

This is coming from a professional writer and pen and paper RPG designer.

MartinK

Learned
Will this game let me play a slumbot? I wanna play a struggling slumbot down on its luck trying to get ahead and remain optimistic, not a fuckdoll robot LARPing as mercenary!

RapineDel

Augur
My only advice is, it's fine to not respond to negative feedback but:

a) don't insult others in your industry/competitors, especially if you're new on the block.
b) don't get defensive with people giving you valid criticism, it's only going to encourage more people to have a crack at you as it shows you're thin skinned (or at least it can appear that way).

The game looks solid, I'm sure you've all put a lot of work into it, but that's irrelevant to the end user, there's a lot of similar products on the market and they're going to be harsh when it comes to what they spend their time on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neptunegames/biosynth/posts/3311358

Over 100!

Thank you everyone for the support!

We're keeping the growth and we crossed 100 backers. Let's go!

06934b84646f46ac4b33f776c33c6f27_original.gif

By the way, remember to leave a comment to the main page to support the project.

Let me also share this interesting JRPG... The Last Relic: Curse of the Lostaways, a turnbased JRPG with crafting and sim elements.

Have a great weekend and talk soon!

Mauro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom