Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

deuxhero

Arcane
Wasn't Bastila supposed to be a Sunrider till a car company got fussy?

deuxhero

Arcane
Wasn't Bastila supposed to be a Sunrider till a car company got fussy?

Vima apparently. Never heard about the car company angle though.

After searching for something cited or a direct source, I found it (poster did work for Lucasfilm and his name was publicly linked to that account). Apparently it was some legal dispute with the author having previously used "Sunrider" somewhere else and the idea Jeep (who called their open top variants "Sunrider") caused the issue came due to a previous response that cited vague "trademark" issues.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
I love how this thread turned from showing doubts about the devs and shitting on the writer, to discussing Star Wars lore and canon. Do continue, they are interesting to read.

Also, why is this thread tagged 'possible decline'? I can't think of a single remake/reboot/sequel to a 20+ year old classic that was incline. Take 'possible' out, it IS going to be decline.

This is actually what my initial post was about - people sperging, raging and frothing about a concept that was introduced into fictional settings purely for marketing reasons by publishers/corporations - not by the authors themselves. And of course it turned into... people sperging, forthing and raging about what is and isn't "canon" (as if it mattered), what the word carries etc.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Most of the good material was the EU. IP policing is gay.

Dark Forces.
Thrawn.
Tales of the Jedi.
KotORs.
Tartakovsky's Clone Wars.
Legacy.

This list is massively monocled... except you decided to include KotORs. I would allow 2's presence (though I disagree it's top-tier SW material), but 1? What the ever-loving fuck? It completely neutered and sterilized the Tales of the Jedi in order to make it more palatable to the mass-market.

We wouldn't have KotOR II without I. And even I is pretty decent. Granted, the huge change in aesthetics over 40 years dividing it from the later Tales of the Jedi is jarring. BW should have abandoned the originally intended timeline for sth like 400 years when they were forced to swap Vima Sunrider for Bastila.

Codex Year of the Donut

Dark Forces.
Thrawn.
Tales of the Jedi.
KotORs.
Legacy.

This list is massively monocled... except you decided to include KotORs. I would allow 2's presence (though I disagree it's top-tier SW material), but 1? What the ever-loving fuck? It completely neutered and sterilized the Tales of the Jedi in order to make it more palatable to the mass-market.

We wouldn't have KotOR II without I. And even I is pretty decent. Granted, the huge change in aesthetics over 40 years dividing it from the later Tales of the Jedi is jarring. BW should have abandoned the originally intended timeline for sth like 400 years when they were forced to swap Vima Sunrider for Bastila.
No bastila means no Satele Shan milf mommy in swtor

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It was a shame that they weren't brave enough to keep the pseudo-Egyptian sci-fi fantasy aesthetic of TOTJ

Now, now. Of the Tales of the Jedi series, only the Golden Age of the Sith, set slightly over 1000 years before KotOR, had pseud-Egyptian aesthetic (coincidentally, the comics were released shortly after Stargate). The Great Sith War series, set some 40 years before KotOR, was different. More medieval, maybe? In any case, the difference in aesthetics would have been much less jaring had BW opted to move KotOR just a bit later.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It was a shame that they weren't brave enough to keep the pseudo-Egyptian sci-fi fantasy aesthetic of TOTJ

Now, now. Of the Tales of the Jedi series, only the Golden Age of the Sith, set slightly over 1000 years before KotOR, had pseud-Egyptian aesthetic (coincidentally, the comics were released shortly after Stargate). The Great Sith War series, set some 40 years before KotOR, was different. More medieval, maybe? In any case, the difference in aesthetics would have been much less jaring had BW opted to move KotOR just a bit later.
u could also say the "remnants of that asthetic would come from the now fallen and long forgotten Infinite Empire
ConstructionOfTheStarForge.jpg

Last edited:

Only the fashion, the architectural trends were still hanging around. If they went from bronze age to medieval fashion in 1,000 years, the games probably should have been set sometime after 3,000 BBY if they were to keep the PT/OT aesthetic.

wahrk

Learned
In both Kotor games the Jedi are on the verge of extinction and there are stories in the game of there being even greater wars with more powerful Force users from years earlier. According to these stories it only appears to take a couple good Jedi falling to the Dark side for there to be a crisis that threatens the entire order.

Minor nitpick but the Jedi are not on the verge of extinction in the first KotOR. They're at war but there are hundreds/thousands of Jedi still around. And there’s always going to be a crisis threatening the Jedi order because that’s one of the few stories that gets repeatedly told in this setting.

the Force....has a will of its own

Kreia sees it this way but I wouldn’t necessarily take this as gospel, just the viewpoint of a bitter old woman who resents the Force due to her past.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Kreia was a Sith, but not during the "timeline" of KOTOR II. Towards the end of the game she dons the mantle of Darth Traya, but only superficially, symbolically, and as a tool.

And to give her additional credit wahrk, during the last conversations with the player she actually does admit to the possibility of her being biased, a consequence of her getting old and bitter. But it's done in her typical tongue-in-cheek way "perhaps I am simply mistaken", which should be understood in the sense that she doesn't actually think of herself being completely wrong, on the contrary she is certain of almost all of her convictions. That said, depending on the player's choices during conversations and her disposition towards the player character, it is possible even for her to admit being wrong about something, if only indirectly, which for example happens when you tell her that "nobody is beyond redemption".

Grimlorn

Arcane
In both Kotor games the Jedi are on the verge of extinction and there are stories in the game of there being even greater wars with more powerful Force users from years earlier. According to these stories it only appears to take a couple good Jedi falling to the Dark side for there to be a crisis that threatens the entire order.

Minor nitpick but the Jedi are not on the verge of extinction in the first KotOR. They're at war but there are hundreds/thousands of Jedi still around. And there’s always going to be a crisis threatening the Jedi order because that’s one of the few stories that gets repeatedly told in this setting.

Well I can't remember the original Kotor much, but I'd be surprised if there were thousands left, it seemed the Republic was on the verge of losing the war. Plus with the way the Triumverate shows up unopposed by the Republic with no resistance seems to suggest this.

Kreia sees it this way but I wouldn’t necessarily take this as gospel, just the viewpoint of a bitter old woman who resents the Force due to her past.
I'm pretty sure Liam Neeson says it in the prequels. I've forgotten if Kreia said it or not. Which regardless of how many times the Jedi have been under threat, the force doesn't save them and feeds both sides false visions or interferes with them for whatever reason. Which would imply Jedi isn't the exact way. Of course outside the setting this is all nonsense just to tell similar stories over and over.

Grimlorn

Arcane
. Palpatine was the most powerful Sith according to GL. End of.
No one cares what GL says when his own movies contradict himself. This isn't about powerful levels but consistency within a setting and it's obvious you're the one coping as you can't possibly deal with the internal inconsistencies coming from Lucas himself, not to mention the EU or former EU.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Dark Forces.
Thrawn.
Tales of the Jedi.
KotORs.
Legacy.

No bastila means no Satele Shan milf mommy in swtor

Ugh, Stinkille Shan.

Would not.

Gimme hot Darth Maladi or/AND Talon instead, please. And if we stick to SWTOR, Acina >>> Stinkille.

. Palpatine was the most powerful Sith according to GL. End of.
No one cares what GL says when his own movies contradict himself. This isn't about powerful levels but consistency within a setting and it's obvious you're the one coping as you can't possibly deal with the internal inconsistencies coming from Lucas himself, not to mention the EU or former EU.

Lol, no. His own movies don't contradict him, which is why I disagree with your opinion.

wahrk

Learned
Kreia was a Sith, but not during the "timeline" of KOTOR II. Towards the end of the game she dons the mantle of Darth Traya, but only superficially, symbolically, and as a tool.

You’re correct and calling her a Sith is overly simplistic, but to be fair her ideology still aligns with Sith beliefs quite a bit. Not completely, but closer than she aligns with the Jedi point of view.

And to give her additional credit wahrk, during the last conversations with the player she actually does admit to the possibility of her being biased, a consequence of her getting old and bitter. But it's done in her typical tongue-in-cheek way "perhaps I am simply mistaken", which should be understood in the sense that she doesn't actually think of herself being completely wrong, on the contrary she is certain of almost all of her convictions. That said, depending on the player's choices during conversations and her disposition towards the player character, it is possible even for her to admit being wrong about something, if only indirectly, which for example happens when you tell her that "nobody is beyond redemption".

True, and it would be hypocritical for her not to acknowledge the possibility.

Well I can't remember the original Kotor much, but I'd be surprised if there were thousands left, it seemed the Republic was on the verge of losing the war. Plus with the way the Triumverate shows up unopposed by the Republic with no resistance seems to suggest this.

As explained in-game, the Triumverate is mostly unopposed because Nihilus wiped out thousands of Jedi gathered on Katarr in between the events of the first and second games, driving the remaining survivors into hiding.

I'm pretty sure Liam Neeson says it in the prequels. I've forgotten if Kreia said it or not. Which regardless of how many times the Jedi have been under threat, the force doesn't save them and feeds both sides false visions or interferes with them for whatever reason. Which would imply Jedi isn't the exact way. Of course outside the setting this is all nonsense just to tell similar stories over and over.

He does say something to the effect that he believes it was the will of the Force that he find Anakin. What this actually means is never really explained just like the prophecy angle is fairly murky. My point is that there's a big difference between "the Jedi philosophy doesn't get it quite right" and "the Force actively sabotages the Jedi and Sith for its own purposes" as it seems you're suggesting, which is not an idea that's really supported anywhere except for maybe Kreia's own resentful attitude towards the Force.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I had never played Kotor and gave it a go for the first time. I just finished it and it delivered pretty much what I wanted, that is being a (powerful) tourist in the Star Wars universe, going from exotic planet to exotic planet, seeing weird aliens, hearing weird alien languages and kicking all sorts of alien butts. I had a good time with most of the game, but damn, that ending in the star forge... Wave after wave of crappy enemies, it seemed to go on forever, what a slog. And to top this with first class annoyance, the final boss pulls an Aec'Letec on you.

Also did Bioware play Wizardry much ? I mean, going from planet to planet to get star maps that lead you to a star forge, really ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom