Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Robber Baron

Savant
The experience it gives you is really nothing unique.

I think that's the exact opposite of that. There's not a single other game that delievers such a high production value 80s sci-fi adventure and on such a scale like Cyberpunk. For me, it was 140 hours of pure fucking fun.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Has anybody played around with the Full Game Rebalance mod? By description, it looks like it fixes a lot of the jank in the bread and butter combat and character building (e.g. crits don't go through the roof, etc.)

I can see the game being more like what it should have been, with the combination of a decent rebalance/overhaul mod and the Immersive Roleplay mod.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The experience it gives you is really nothing unique.

I think that's the exact opposite of that. There's not a single other game that delievers such a high production value 80s sci-fi adventure and on such a scale like Cyberpunk. For me, it was 140 hours of pure fucking fun.

I'm always in the middle on this. I really see your point that there's nothing out there that has the same sense of place and time that scratches that particular itch. There were definitely moments when I had a lot of fun with the game for that reason. In that sense the game is unique and obviously has (or had) great potential. But it's still a mess in lots of places where it matters. Again, the only real point of debate is whether the mess is salvageable to bring the game up to an 8/10 eventually as someone said above (whether by the devs, modders, or a combination of the two) or whether the flaws are so deep in the coding that they can't be recovered from, and the game will always have a limp.

tritosine2k

Erudite

Nice clip doing rounds on twitter. Reminded me how one of the mods offered possibility to LOCK overcast weather in CYBERPUNK and I left it that way because shadows and occlusion seems borked with RT too. Maybe devs should take hint how this looks more realistic than clear sun possibly can for a while, because both the way gfx/weather is currently (not) handled and HDR underperforming on current flatscreens ... Also smog should be a defacto cyberpunk trope yet clear weather is overrepresented ...

GloomFrost

Arcane
Has anybody played around with the Full Game Rebalance mod? By description, it looks like it fixes a lot of the jank in the bread and butter combat and character building (e.g. crits don't go through the roof, etc.)

I can see the game being more like what it should have been, with the combination of a decent rebalance/overhaul mod and the Immersive Roleplay mod.
Do all those rebalance and overhaul mods change that 9 out of 10 of your dialogue answers do not have any impact on anything??

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Do all those rebalance and overhaul mods change that 9 out of 10 of your dialogue answers do not have any impact on anything??

No, nor will they get you back that lost year with Jackie ;)

Gargaune

Magister
Maybe devs should take hint how this looks more realistic than clear sun possibly can for a while, because both the way gfx/weather is currently (not) handled and HDR underperforming on current flatscreens ... Also smog should be a defacto cyberpunk trope yet clear weather is overrepresented ...
This mod might interest you... I haven't tried it myself yet, though, which lets me segue into my next point...

Again, the only real point of debate is whether the mess is salvageable to bring the game up to an 8/10 eventually as someone said above (whether by the devs, modders, or a combination of the two) or whether the flaws are so deep in the coding that they can't be recovered from, and the game will always have a limp.
I think the timeframes really work against Mods Will Fix It™ by this point, we're looking down the barrel of a full year before an expansion and there's a real risk of "too little too late." There's a bunch of different mods I'd have liked to try, but between the lengthy patch cycle and how some of them involve recompiling scripts (a severe gamble on forward compatibility), I've held off. Modders have produced some surprising successes given the state of their tools, but by the time they get some proper infrastructure, if they get it, a lot of player interest will have moved on and many modders will have gone with it.

In related news, I'm sad to report that I've obtained this super-duper-secret photographic evidence of CDPR's development centre operations:
cbp-dx-delay.jpg

tritosine2k

Erudite

yeah the "climate change" was the one with overcast lock, it's awesome (and the only plausible weather state because of the way realtime lighting was done . In an ideal world they could push weather states as an update without relying on realtime stuff , I think raining is cut back because it's not matching up with "weathered" textures at all).

Gargaune

Magister
the only plausible weather state because of the way realtime lighting was done . In an ideal world they could push weather states as an update without relying on realtime stuff , I think raining is cut back because it's not matching up with "weathered" textures at all
That sounds interesting, can you elaborate? I'm losing touch these days, what are the limitations with CBP's realtime lighting?

tritosine2k

Erudite
the only plausible weather state because of the way realtime lighting was done . In an ideal world they could push weather states as an update without relying on realtime stuff , I think raining is cut back because it's not matching up with "weathered" textures at all
That sounds interesting, can you elaborate? I'm losing touch these days, what are the limitations with CBP's realtime lighting?
https://archive.vn/AgMxc

Screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO) is widely used in modern PC and console games to approximate global illumination effects. It gives good results when approximating occlusion in a uniform lighting environment, such as an outdoor scene on an overcast day.
Screen Space Directional Occlusion (SSDO) is a technique that was recently introduced to improve upon the visual quality of SSAO. It works by calculating occlusion and environmental lighting at the same time. However, due to its significant computational cost, it is only practical to use SSDO with a small number of dynamic light sources or a global lighting environment stored in a cube map. The proposed algorithm allows dynamic light sources to take advantage of local occlusion information in a deferred shading pipeline, commonly found in modern games.

That's why "contact shadows" are a "thing" now, because that's some early/inexpensive form of SSDO, but it only touches small clutter on floor so it cannot fail (too visibly).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno about that, all Bethesda games only start getting decent more developed mods one year or so after release as it is the time it usually take to modders to get used to their new tools. There is already a total gameplay overall that fixes many of the balance issues like crazy critical damage and broken power weapons, they just need to keep updating it with each new version until the patch cycle stops. Also, if the expansion is a Blood and Wine style expansion and they fix some systems like the police(there are already some basic police behaviors coded in game that CDPR just disabled because they needed the extra resources for the PS4 version to work and police cars disappearing when you stop looking at them would look strange).

The game is salvageable with an expansion + a total overall mod to remove the popamole, it only depends of CDPR not fucking up, what honestly I'm not super optimist about.

Codex Year of the Donut

Nice clip doing rounds on twitter. Reminded me how one of the mods offered possibility to LOCK overcast weather in CYBERPUNK and I left it that way because shadows and occlusion seems borked with RT too. Maybe devs should take hint how this looks more realistic than clear sun possibly can for a while, because both the way gfx/weather is currently (not) handled and HDR underperforming on current flatscreens ... Also smog should be a defacto cyberpunk trope yet clear weather is overrepresented ...

Anyone else feel kinda sick while watching this in fullscreen at highest quality/60 FPS?
Wonder if it happens while actually playing the game.

Does this actually remove level requirements on gear or do you need another mod for that?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone else feel kinda sick while watching this in fullscreen at highest quality/60 FPS?

Yes, slight motion sickness. I'm not too sensitive to it but feel it in extreme cases. This is one.

Also I played a F1 game on a dedicated F1 VR simulator. In about 3 minutes the staff at the gaming club had to unplug me and prop me up against the wall. I've NEVER been sicker in my damn life. A horribru experience.

tritosine2k

Erudite
That head motion is apparently a replay feature and not realtime. Probably on a better display it adds to motion parallax on a worse it detracts (too much overlap between frames).

Wouldn't draw much of a conclusion from this round of flatscreens yet, either in direct view or vr. First has temporal overlap latter has it in space so it's "purposefully" (euphemism) dark.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, I was idly piddling about with some saves in the game, and I came across a whole sequence of a chat with Takemura on a rooftop overlooking the Arasaka warehouse during surveillance for the "Gimme Danger" quest (the one where you're spiking the float in the warehouse). Really quite a nice sequence (up to and including Johnny falling off a ledge and a rl cat watching him and following him over :) ), real bro stuff. I mean, I was already friendly towards T. in my playthrough I'd done, but I'd completely missed out on the rooftop chat. Judging by a couple of V chat options on the blower after it, I suspect it's just prelimary to an attempt at a gay V hitting on him, but it's still nice.

Another glimpse of what could have been - there are quite a few bits and pieces like this that are really well done in the game, but ultimately they just serve to make one feel even more wistful and melancholic about the whole situation. It's a tricky thing, because the more of that semi-realistic and rather well-done puppet show one has, the more one wants - but of course it's incredibly labour-intensive to make that stuff. It's really in a kind of limbo of its own - in theory the whole game could have been both a brilliant game and rich with those sorts of densely acted and animated sequences, but with conversational choices that actually made a difference. But it's like asking for the moon.

mkultra

Augur

Nope. Just bought it and played for 3h.. the default view is third person so i played in that for 1h, then i switched to first person - much, much better, feels more responsive too. The sense of speed is pretty good, would love to play in VR though to get realistic size of everything..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom