Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shaki

Arbiter
it's simply not something that adds anything of value to an RPG.
I beg to differ. It added complexity and thrill of looking into nooks and crannies even in the beta version of the Shield Maze.

Surely, if you have motion sickness or never learned stereometry in school it might be difficult.

Looking into nooks and crannies for what? Your press tab and the game shows you lootable/interactable spots through walls, and even if you somehow missed them, all the containers will still get marked on your map. Unless you're like Rusty, and worry about every dark corner potentially hiding a tranny sjw agenda, there is simply nothing to look for there.

Outside of the mechanics of city in act 4, ability to move your camera has pretty much 0 impact on the gameplay, it doesn't change anything compared to Kingmaker. It's just more eye candy to entice more casual audience to try the game.

I'm not against having rotating camera per se, it doesn't make a difference for me, but I just don't think it was worth the cost of adding it, in case of WotR.

Sharpedge

Prophet
The advantage of a fixed Isometric view from a design PoV is you always know what the player is going to be looking at and thus its much easier to build the environment towards that. This will generally result in a better looking game overall, because as a designer you can't possibly anticipate every angle the player is going to tilt their camera at and some of them are going to look poor, that is just the way it is.

For a first person game I definitely feel like having a 3d camera adds a ton to immersion, but I don't feel like this is the case from a top down tactical view port in a party based RPG, nor do I feel like it necessarily adds anything to an RTS or Turn Based Strategy game, aside from adding 1 additional thing to manage.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still confused about some of the party camp conversations not being voiced. Something around 30-40% is silent.
Is this a bug or a feature?
Anyone else has it?
Yes. And most of the VO in the conversations is so bad, that I consider myself lucky some of them are not voiced.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking into nooks and crannies for what? Your press tab and the game shows you lootable/interactable spots through walls, and even if you somehow missed them, all the containers will still get marked on your map. Unless you're like Rusty, and worry about every dark corner potentially hiding a tranny sjw agenda, there is simply nothing to look for there.
I am not sure about that, and neither should be you. The game may hide things - but probably not in the prologue. Anyway, I like to play this way; for sure, the <TAB> key helps.

So I do worry about every dark corner, but I prefer loot or pieces of lore to trannies. To each his own.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
How would sneaks help you hit?

Regill is simple, max dex, max ataxx, get Mythic Finesse, max enchantments on his weapon somehow (stacking axiomatic holy bane, mythic leading strike etc.), flat +damage boosts, and Fight Microscopically. Because he's so smol he can flank while standing between two fat horses or whatever. The smoler he gets the more accurate and damaging he becomes.

He's nanotechnological, not haplorational.
Leading strike doesn’t work

Shadenuat

Arcane

well,

trick is to wait until they fix their game then;

e652b96fe64548880ea8d2cd96ba0a4c6fab7c62.jpg

, sir Smaug.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Judging by steam, old Unfair had good old 2xstat dip or something. wow nostalgia memories.

this is old version hard and unfair mob (posted by steamman)

Untitled.png

Smilodons in Wintersun had 72 ac.

I admit dun remember this in beta.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
How would sneaks help you hit?

Regill is simple, max dex, max ataxx, get Mythic Finesse, max enchantments on his weapon somehow (stacking axiomatic holy bane, mythic leading strike etc.), flat +damage boosts, and Fight Microscopically. Because he's so smol he can flank while standing between two fat horses or whatever. The smoler he gets the more accurate and damaging he becomes.

He's nanotechnological, not haplorational.

It actually does work:

1jZBHNj.png

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
I beg to differ. It added complexity and thrill of looking into nooks and crannies even in the beta version of the Shield Maze.

Surely, if you have motion sickness or never learned stereometry in school it might be difficult.

Outside of the mechanics of city in act 4, ability to move your camera has pretty much 0 impact on the gameplay, it doesn't change anything compared to Kingmaker. It's just more eye candy to entice more casual audience to try the game.

I'm not against having rotating camera per se, it doesn't make a difference for me, but I just don't think it was worth the cost of adding it, in case of WotR.

Highlighting interactables is the one poisoned gift that stemmed from Baldur's Gate II.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How do you make ember good? Her hexes are resisted de facto by the base wisdom stat of every monster now and I gave her ascended element and she still does barely any damage.
smaug, sometimes I wonder how would you ever beat your RPGs if you couldn't post here. At what point are YOU going to be the one answering questions? :P

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Come to think of it, once Holic mods in the Theurgy feat from Kingmaker, you could easily make a Feyspeaker/Serpent Sorcerer/Mystic Theurge build based around this.

Mystic Theurge has poor BAB and doesn't unlock any druid class features at level up so personally I don't think it's really optimal.

Another way to build a fun shifter kitsune is to go dragon bloodline Sorcerer 16 Dragon Disciple 4 with Serpentine extra bloodline. Get bloodline ascendancy. Should get 3 bites (kitsune, Dragon Disciple, Serpent bloodline) there, and 2 claws in normal form.

Could then go for the gold dragon path for gold dragon form with 25 BAB for the end game.

The BAB will be rectified by sorcerer/druid buffs + Master Shapeshifter + items + other buffs, so no problem here. Besides, thanks to Feyspeaker having access to Illusion spells, you can make yourself an off-tank. As to the druid class features - they don't matter. The sorcerer spellbook can pick up Beast/Elemental Forms, which are identical to wildshape except the length, and it's still 10 minutes/level - more than enough.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
How do you make ember good? Her hexes are resisted de facto by the base wisdom stat of every monster now and I gave her ascended element and she still does barely any damage.
smaug, sometimes I wonder how would you ever beat your RPGs if you couldn't post here. At what point are YOU going to be the one answering questions? :P
First rpg I’ve played in months, not an expert in pathfinder so can’t answer question

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
I'm still confused about some of the party camp conversations not being voiced. Something around 30-40% is silent.
Is this a bug or a feature?
100% feature. They ran out of money.

I'd say content jumbling. Thanks to many, many datamines we know there's a shitload of conversations that aren't present in-game. Methinks a lot of content was cut, and a different part was added post-haste, hence the lack of voice acting in some party conversations.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
a different part was added post-haste, hence the lack of voice acting in some party conversations.
And that is why voice over is cancer. Apparently, there are cheap voice actors outside of Commyfornia trade unions, but what makes voice over immensely harmful is inability to change the text quickly. An hour of work in a text editor after a meeting, compile the patch - boom, QA can start working on a new plot line or "double reactivity".

Instead, even in the best case all the changes have to be put together, then the voiced lines should be carefully changed, the updated script presented to actors, then someone should supervise that they actually voice the lines they are given, then it has to be edited and put to the game. And all those useless voices have to be paid.

So until a good human voice synthesizer is widely accessible - limit voice over to critical parts and don't update it. Illiterate people should go to school instead of playing computer games.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
a different part was added post-haste, hence the lack of voice acting in some party conversations.
And that is why voice over is cancer. Apparently, there are cheap voice actors outside of Commyfornia trade unions, but what makes voice over immensely harmful is inability to change the text quickly. An hour of work in a text editor after a meeting, compile the patch - boom, QA can start working on a new plot line or "double reactivity".

Instead, even in the best case all the changes have to be put together, then the voiced lines should be carefully changed, the updated script presented to actors, then someone should supervise that they actually voice the lines they are given, then it has to be edited and put to the game. And all those useless voices have to be paid.

So until a good human voice synthesizer is widely accessible - limit voice over to critical parts and don't update it. Illiterate people should go to school instead of playing computer games.

Now that's a bit harsh. Not all coloured people are that bad, Lann.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
So until a good human voice synthesizer is widely accessible - limit voice over to critical parts and don't update it.

On a slightly related note, I wish there was a way to speed up those non-interactive conversations. I can't be taking a coffee break every time my party banters during rest.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
killed some sinful flesh giant or whatever the fuck he was

took me 10 tries but worth the 20kExp and 3 companion deaths

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Highlighting interactables is the one poisoned gift that stemmed from Baldur's Gate II.

You mean throne of bhaal

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Got a bug (I think), Bismuth is forever dead, portrait greyed out, resting doesn't ress him. Anyone had it happen? How to fix?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I just tend to think it was a limitation of its time, and there's no reason to not have proper full 3-d environments in this day and age. I want a place to feel like a real place, not a prissily handcrafted stage set.

They thought the same 20 years ago... and they made Neverwinter nights. I'd rather hope Owlcat isn't trying to go down that road.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just tend to think it was a limitation of its time, and there's no reason to not have proper full 3-d environments in this day and age. I want a place to feel like a real place, not a prissily handcrafted stage set.

They thought the same 20 years ago... and they made Neverwinter nights. I'd rather hope Owlcat isn't trying to go down that road.

What's wrong with Neverwinter Nights? It's a classic (not the OC, but the game as such, and what it implemented of D&D and enabled in terms of user-made content). Sure, the graphics look dated, but there were other compensations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom