Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I just tend to think it was a limitation of its time, and there's no reason to not have proper full 3-d environments in this day and age. I want a place to feel like a real place, not a prissily handcrafted stage set.

They thought the same 20 years ago... and they made Neverwinter nights. I'd rather hope Owlcat isn't trying to go down that road.

What's wrong with Neverwinter Nights? It's a classic (not the OC, but the game as such, and what it implemented of D&D and enabled in terms of user-made content). Sure, the graphics look dated, but there were other compensations.

All you said is true but there is a reason why there are thousand of people still playing IE games, including Beamdog "remastered" versions, while NWN not so much, and the 3D gameplay has a role in it.

Jackpot

Learned
Alright, getting to a miniboss and having them say "Wait, I don't exist!" and blip out of existence was pretty funny.
ypbRLR9.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"All you said is true but there is a reason why there are thousand of people still playing IE games, including Beamdog "remastered" versions, while NWN not so much, and the 3D gameplay has a role in it."

FAKE NEWS

You do realize that NWN was more successful than either BG game, right? Get over it, BG cucks. NWN > ALL

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
"All you said is true but there is a reason why there are thousand of people still playing IE games, including Beamdog "remastered" versions, while NWN not so much, and the 3D gameplay has a role in it."

FAKE NEWS

You do realize that NWN was more successful than either BG game, right? Get over it, BG cucks. NWN > ALL

Volourn, sweety, it's time to take your meds. The tumour is making you shitpost nonsense again.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
lol, I think BolshyPlays just broke the game with this build. 100AC while fighting (just self-buffed, not counting buffs from others), 48 Dexterity and all sorts of other shenanigans. Interesting because it's one of the few Trickster mythic path builds I've seen:-

jungl

Augur
Do you guys think owlfat will bother improving the enemy AI? Larian did with divinity original sin. I try to play the game but get immediately bored how fucktarded the enemy ai is. Casting channel energy that does 1d6 damage instead of bolt. They probably will not because too much coding involved.

cw8

Cipher
Seems like Aasimar characters are good for roleplaying Angel classes. The wings they grow eventually really adds flavour.
A question about Gold Dragon, it adds +10 strength on morphing, so I assume the attacks will all be strength based? Dex weapon finese characters are screwed?

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Are you serious that ppl were bitching about how core is so so so so hard and that the companions alone cant help you beat the game on.... core?

hausdahuisdhjsdahjkasdhjsadhjdashjkdsahjkds

omg is this reseteratards or veterans in the genre?

you cant even be considered a pathfinder if you didnt beat the game on insane

Percy

Cipher
Daeran's heartfelt expression of grief when one of the main NPC's kicks the bucket.

20210925004011-1.jpg

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Alright, getting to a miniboss and having them say "Wait, I don't exist!" and blip out of existence was pretty funny.
ypbRLR9.jpg

Is it just my own observation, or does Aeon gets the most reactivity out of any path sans Lich and Angel?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Are you serious that ppl were bitching about how core is so so so so hard and that the companions alone cant help you beat the game on.... core?

hausdahuisdhjsdahjkasdhjsadhjdashjkdsahjkds

omg is this reseteratards or veterans in the genre?

you cant even be considered a pathfinder if you didnt beat the game on insane

If people are complaining about the AI then they are extremely retarded. I could see how people who don't understand the system could have issues with the for pathfinder comparatively overturned encounters due to not understanding builds, not realising how spells stack or which spells are effective, but the AI? The AI is completely and utterly brain-dead and adds nothing to the difficulty.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently, there are cheap voice actors outside of Commyfornia trade unions
Speaking of voice actors, my kid regularly asks me to fire up GTA V and GTA IV because he likes to ride on the trains. I also have Vice City installed just for educational purposes. That voice acting quality, and playing modern RPGs after it, makes me want to cry.

I make the following calculation in my mind:
Old Games:
- badly aged graphics
+ good voice acting
+ good writing and plots
+ you actually play as a gangster, no excuses

New Games:
+ good graphics -> but (-) they tempt designers to turn it into an interactive movie, instant downer
- talantless voice acting, because actors are in high demand, and "great auteurs" didn't want "familiar voices" to detract from their geniusly written characters
- netflix-level script
- it's not politically correct to play as a bad guy, so you are now the washed-out anti-hero, good guy forced to do bad things for bad people

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just tend to think it was a limitation of its time, and there's no reason to not have proper full 3-d environments in this day and age. I want a place to feel like a real place, not a prissily handcrafted stage set.

They thought the same 20 years ago... and they made Neverwinter nights. I'd rather hope Owlcat isn't trying to go down that road.

What's wrong with Neverwinter Nights? It's a classic (not the OC, but the game as such, and what it implemented of D&D and enabled in terms of user-made content). Sure, the graphics look dated, but there were other compensations.
The graphics were revolting then, particularly after BG2, and they are just as revolting now. In a sense it has aged well.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Seems like Aasimar characters are good for roleplaying Angel classes. The wings they grow eventually really adds flavour.
A question about Gold Dragon, it adds +10 strength on morphing, so I assume the attacks will all be strength based? Dex weapon finese characters are screwed?

Just a heads up re: Angel/Aasimar. Unfortunately the wings you get from the Aasimar racial feat actually clips with the ones you get from an Angel (and they are just slightly off colour enough to make it look terrible). The worst part is, you can't turn off the Angel ones which are purely aesthetic, whereas the Aasimar wing required a feat and gives you +3 AC....

T4Bp3Ru_d.webp

Codex Year of the Donut
Can someone explain what these numbers are even supposed to mean?
For example, here is the armor class table from AD&D
image.png

So if you have 2 AC, you have equivalent protection as someone wearing Plate Mail + Shield.

So, what does "100AC" represent in Pathfinder? Surely it's not just some silly anime-tier powerlevel number that keeps going up with no real meaning... right?

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK, I also ran into my ultimate enemy.. the huge tree that Stomps everyone on a tight bridge :D
It is a interesting enemy, you basically cannot resist being Overun, you got nowhere to move out of the way and then when you are rising up he gets AoO that cannot miss. You also must cast spells as defensive casting and if you fail he hits and trips you lol. Fucking evil DM enemy :D
Summons also don't help as they also get stomped and he is not doing energy damage or poison so standard defensive spells don't help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom