Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The definitive, authoritative, and probably non-exhaustive list of non-(IBM) PC cRPGs

Codex Year of the Donut
I want the real first Dungeons & Dragons video game.
29360-pool-of-radiance-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

No, not that one, the REAL one!
1050390-dungeons-dragons-trs-80-screenshot-title-screen.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Of interest, I believe the original Ultima games and Dungeon Master got superior ports on FM Towns, Dungeon Master's in English even.

Dunno, whenever I look at screenshots of those kind of ports I have a bad feeling that they weren't made for heterosexuals. Might be wrong though, never played any of them :)
The FM Towns port of Ultima I+2+3 are basically the nice graphical port we never got over here, and Dungeon Master is just Dungeon Master, but with CD audio.
If non-english speakers know of more, feel free to share. I'm sure there's obscure games hidden in them.
As an English-speaker I use CPC-Power for CPC games, because there's no comparable English database for the platform. The Russian site Old-games has a wiki listing a whole bunch of websites, mostly yar har har. They're an example in of itself, but I'm not sure they have anything not already listed.

Codex Year of the Donut
Partially retracting rule #1 due to a game I found that has no reason to not be on the list other than an arbitrary choice. Refer to the edited OP for clarification.

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun is a Genesis-exclusive cRPG.
https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/dungeons-dragons-warriors-of-the-eternal-sun/
5f74d8ba64ee3.jpg

Why am I not including consoles in the platform list for non-exclusive games?
For a few reasons:
  • They had very strict licensing. While unlicensed titles do exist...
  • These platforms already have exhaustive lists of all released titles well categorized.
  • This list was primarily for more obscure platforms. While some of them weren't obscure at the time, they have easily been overshadowed by the popularity of dosbox and console emulators and such in the years since.

These games, however, will be perfectly fine on List #2 as they tend to have the biggest platform differences.

Is rule #1 difficult to understand?
Yes, it does not scale to your level.

Also, I'm going to set an arbitrary platform cutoff date at say... 1995. Yeah, that sounds good. Games released after are fine, but no new platforms.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
For consoles, there were two Shadowrun games, one on SNES, and one on Genesis. Well, there's a third, but its moonrune only, I think there's an LP in the LP forum though. There were also two console exclusive Dungeon Master games. Theron's Quest and some Saturn title nobody has played because its in moonrune.
Directional sounds? If not, it's not superior no matter how good the sound is.
I legitimately don't know. I tried playing that version, but the issue is that I don't think you can control it via the keyboard. My word is not set in stone, but I tried every button and nothing worked. Actually, I guess its not superior in that case, is it? Potentially superior.

Codex Year of the Donut
Clarifying a position on titles re-released:
The rules only apply to native platform releases. A game "re-released" but actually being emulated does not count. Pedantic, I know, but this entire thing is :autism: to begin with and you'd be surprised at how many titles this applies to.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Liberation: Captive 2 is a very interesting game, and I'm not sure you could actually ever finish it, as you'd just go around saving the wrongly arrested people. I remember that installing it on lower end Amigas would take hours with the maximum settings as it would create the wall graphics through the installer, instead of being packed to the disks.

Codex Year of the Donut
Liberation: Captive 2 is a very interesting game, and I'm not sure you could actually ever finish it, as you'd just go around saving the wrongly arrested people. I remember that installing it on lower end Amigas would take hours with the maximum settings as it would create the wall graphics through the installer, instead of being packed to the disks.
It has one of the cooler intros

Codex Year of the Donut
Perhaps the first cRPG I've seen that would warrant owning a ZX Spectrum(at the time): Swords & Sorcery (1985)

Codex Year of the Donut
Amstrad CPC seems to have a good number of French(? Guessing based on the titles) games, making a note to go back through them at a later point.

Codex Year of the Donut
Started marking some games with '#' to signify that I think they look interesting or good, after seeing quite a few titles that are probably worth playing rather than just cataloguing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom