Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Humongous Entertainment Thread

As some of you may know, after leaving LucasArts Ron Gilbert founded a company called Humongous Entertainment, and shortly afterwards he hired poached Dave Grossman away from LA as well. Humongous focused on games that were functionally classic Point and Click Adventure games (with the earliest ones apparently bearing a... somewhat litigiously provocative similarity to their LA SCUMM contemporaries), but geared towards children between the ages of 3 and 12 depending on the franchise. Their franchises were Putt-Putt, Freddie Fish, Spy Fox, and Pajama Sam.

I never played any of these games when they came out. I was a few years too old for them demographically, and it was the mid-90s where all the cool kids were chasing FMV and 3D acceleration, so these games weren't even on my radar till my adult life.
The first one I played was Pajama Sam 1 (1996). I played it around 8(?) years ago with my nephew who was basically the exact target audience (I think he was 5 when we played it). We both had fun, but it didn't make much of an impression on me, and we didn't play any further HE games, instead using it as a springboard into the more established canon I was familiar with (King's Quests, Monkey Islands, etc.).

Flashforward to now and, due to my memory of it as a fine "baby's first adventure game", I've been playing Pajama Sam 1 (and then 2 and then 3...) with my son who is just shy of 3 years old, and I have to say these games are... pretty great! We've both been having a great time. It's really been a treat watching him realize that he has some agency over the character and it's not just a cartoon. My enthusiasm for the games is undoubtedly in part due to constantly being exposed to awful, awful children's media -the vast majority of which is insufferable brainworm garbage- but these games legitimately feel like Gilbert/Grossman games (albeit ones made for children). There are some really good jokes in here (as well as great VA in service to them).

Perhaps most impressive to me is the design of these games though. To be clear, they're very much designed for young children and therefore extremely easy, but they have a surprising amount of versatility. Each entry is fundamentally about finding the 3 or 4 MacGuffins that Sam needs to face his fears/fix his mistakes, but in each game there are two possible seeds for each MacGuffin (and the seeds are specific to the MacGuffin, so they can be mixed and matched). So for example some runs Sam will need to get his mask by helping a carrot freedom-fighter (who fights against the corrupt course system) free his fellow radicals, but in other runs he'll need to discover alchemical secrets in order to create a potion of invisibility so he can sneak in and steal his mask from some sentient furniture. Each seed plays completely differently, so there's almost no overlap between runs with totally different seeds. It's a pretty neat trick that I wish had been copied by more adult oriented adventures of the time.

I also appreciate the allowance of sequence-breaking (using that term loosely since it's a game for 5 year olds). The first case of this I noticed was in the first game. There is a character named Otto that is an anthropomorphic wooden boat who refuses to give Sam a ride across a stream because "his cousin's best-friend's dentist knew a guy made of wood who got in water and sank" (see? very Gilbert/Grossman). The solution to the puzzle is to find a piece of wood and throw it into the water in front of Otto so that he can see that wood does, in fact, float, but! Sam can actually find this piece of wood before meeting Otto, and even better upon walking onto Otto's screen he can just throw the wood in the water without talking to Otto or even learning about his situation. Doing so still solves the puzzle, but also leads to a totally different dialogue between the two, and I'm hard-pressed to think of many other adventure games that reacted to or allowed for that sort of thing.

So. Anyone else have thoughts on Humongous Entertainment's games? Or recommendations for similar games that toddler friendly and not total crap? The Internet Consensus as far as I see is that Freddie Fish is kind of crap, Putt-Putt is ok, and Pajama Sam and Spy Fox are great (but like I said, I've only played the Pajama Sams). I know MRY has kids and I think Aeschylus might too? But suggestions are welcome from all.

Also anyone know what ended up happening to the company? Gilbert and Grossman both left abruptly, the company got sold and almost immediately shuttered, and Gilbert's co-founder was sentenced to 30 months for fraud, all in a pretty short period of time. There's not a lot of info out there about it from what all I've seen, but what little there is definitely suggests an interesting story.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
From what I've gleaned over the years, the reason why the company got sold off is because they published a strategy game called Moonbase Commander that did horribly, and the Backyard Sports series just became an all-consuming monster for the company. And when the Backyard games started becoming crap, well, the company just died off.

Suggestions for children, I'd suggest Sierra's children's games, primarily Mixed-Up Fairy Tales and Mixed-Up Mother Goose. Which are basically toddlers matching games with the trappings of Sierra games of the era. I think the Goblins series would be good for children, not toddlers, but the same age that would watch Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry. You play a gradually decreasing number of goblins, who have to solve some grand quest. In the first two games, the goblins each have unique abilities that you use to solve each puzzle. The only problem is that they're not easy games, and they're not fast titles. There's always some element in the game put there to pad it out. I also remember liking the Dr. Brain series, oddly enough The Time Warp of Dr. Brain and IQ Adventure, the one in a top-down style published by Knowledge Adventure. That one's actually the closest to a traditional adventure game the whole series did, Sierra or Knowledge Adventure. The whole series, for the most part, was basically glorified mini-game collections centered around being a mad scientists assistant. People mostly remember the ones designed by Corey Cole and his wife, of Quest for Glory fame. I don't, because the ones my school had were the ones I mentioned.

Anyway, Humongous Entertainment. I think I played all the adventure games at the time except maybe the last Freddy Fish and the last Pajama Sam. I think they can be put forward for my love of the genre today, that and the Myst series. I also played the crap out of the Big Thinkers series, Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear's minigame collection, and the solo Fatty Bear game. Fatty Bear's about what some kid's toys do while the household is sleeping. Its the easiest of the bunch, the whole map is open at the start and its more of a scavenger hunt. Also, it started Humongous's habit of putting really, really bad music mini-games in. Like just noise, really, no chance of making anything decent.
Big Thinkers was basically just another mini-game collection, with some decent educational value. I'm not really sure there was a point to the game in retrospect, since I don't remember an ending condition.

I don't remember much about Freddy Fish, I think I only played two of them recently out of nostalgia's sake, the first two or three, but since the theme was detective work underwater, and every time the culprit was the shark duo, it seemed to have wasted that. I remember the 4th one being amazing as a child though, since it actually involved solving a mystery for once. There's also a movie theater in one of the games that has some funny self-parody work. I think I played the fifth maybe once, and the disc broke in the drive.

As to the rest, I think I can explain the overall opinion tending towards what age group they're for. Putt-Putt is for like the 6-10 range, and is mostly about a sentient car dealing with friendly people to solve minor inconveniences, with except to Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon, which has a moon rover trapped on the moon. With the unfortunate implication that the US government in the Putt-Putt universe abandoned a sentient on the moon, and if you think about it, brings up some unfortunate thoughts. Putt-Putt is bright and cheery, and the main character is the child protagonist of a '50s sitcom. And there is just a ton of sing-a-longs in each game, even moreso than the other series. And all the puzzles were basically just mini-games. Pajama Sam is about a kid's imagination in confronting his own fears, and had a slightly higher age group. It also has actual puzzles. Spy Fox is the highest age range, if I'm not misremembering, and is generally a parody of James Bond, something people look on fondly, since they now understand some of the context. The first two games also had better puzzles than the rest of the range, and they even have multiple endings depending on whether or not you correctly deal with the villain. (three has multiple endings too, its just not as good as the first two) They even have a little mini-section after the bad endings. Serious, adult adventure games don't even do that, even if they have multiple endings.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I waited for this thread for ages.

Pajama Sam 1 is the best game ever made. Never saw such variativity in Adventures (maybe in Blade Runner?)

ed1c44c3b9723b88bd7f77e716df4ea5.jpg

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I fucking loved Spy Fox and Backyard Baseball.

Pablo Sanchez was based beyond his years. Amazing stats.

Pablo-Sanchez-2ff94b5b-7690-43db-950d-5f14b244217b.jpg

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do not have kids (guess I just give off that stupid dad-humor energy), but way back in the day when I was teaching English to younger kids, I did actually use a lot of the HE games as a way to engage them, and they were pretty universally beloved by anyone from 3-6yo or so. Like you I sort of missed the target age range for the games growing up.

In terms of old games for kids, I always enjoyed the Super Seekers/Solvers series of games (actually everything by The Learning Company was good). I also remember really liking the game Museum Madness, though I think that's aimed at slightly older kids. As others here have mentioned a lot of the Sierra kids games were also quite good, if maybe not quite as graphically charming as the HE ones.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Putt%27s_house.png

Putt Putt literally taught me English.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom