Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year contender 2021

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei V

And I haven't even played it yet.

But it will be the GOTY. Everyone knows it.

There really isn't much competition this year though. I'm a SMT fan but even if SMT V turned just about average or meh like IV which started strong and ended eeeeeehhhh it would be enough to make it the RPG GOTY.

I am not seeing how they could fuck up V though unless development was as troublesome as IV's. Game really felt like as if three different directors were working/directing the game at the same time. Music of V is already on point, and the cast doesn't look as fucking horrible as 4A's cast. Let's just hupe that V's battle system will be as good as 4A's. Also, change your profile picture back to the old one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't beaten a single western developed crpg released in 2021, despite buying a few.

I have played Solasta. Other than that, I beat Biomutant. Add some 2021 jrpgs, and that's it.

I can't really make a serious list this year. Neither is it worth it for me to vote in any GoTY threads.

My aim has been to complete some of my backlog, but there have also been more replays of old games, than I anticipated.

Shadenuat

Arcane
pathfinder character building ______ <<< __________ other rpgs

jahy-jahy-sama-wa-kujikenai.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
Let me see... WOTR , cringey writing, most companions are forgettable , strongest woke agenda ever. Everyone hate the crusade mini game , uninspired dull clone of HOMM with 3/4 of the stuff not working or gamebreaking bugs. When asked if people enjoyed the puzzles, its an overwhelming NO! button answer... Overtuned npc stats but its to compensate the brain dead AI , i can agree with you guys on that. Bugged, unoptimized , unplayable piece of shit with gamebreaking bugs but less than kingmaker release. End game so "epic" and bloated even meredoth got vaccinated for life. Can possibly fry your gpu if you dont force vsync .

Verdict : 10/10, highly recommended , rpgcodex game of the year.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
also YOOO I can vote in my first GOTYRPG because I am actually playing an rpg
:positive:

won’t be playing another one for years so I’ll savor this moment

Reality

Learned
Jupiter Hell gave me the most fun, even if it was a step down as a roguelike from doomRL.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bravely Default 2.
But to talk of Western games: Solasta, Wrath of the Righteous and Trials of Fire are the best games I played 2021, and all are flawed in some way.
Wildermyth and Urtuk were pretty good aswell, but I didn't play them as much as I planned to. Nevertheless they share Trials of Fire's "flaw" of being mostly a procedural experience instead of hand crafted.
None of those games are extremely good compared to previous years, if I had to vote now my vote would go to Solasta.
Wasn't extremely impressed with Encased, that could have needed more time in Early Access. A difficulty option above "your rolls are not fudged in your favor" would have been nice.

Shin Megami Tensei V

And I haven't even played it yet.

But it will be the GOTY. Everyone knows it.

There really isn't much competition this year though. I'm a SMT fan but even if SMT V turned just about average or meh like IV which started strong and ended eeeeeehhhh it would be enough to make it the RPG GOTY.

SMT has a pretty high quality baseline, it is very rare for a SMT game to be worse than slightly above mediocre.
Would be pretty funny if it snatches Codex GOTY, 2020 a JRPG came quite close with Yakuza like a Dragon getting very high results while Wasteland III was the highest Western game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Just list them: name, date released, platform. Then dissect them just a little: type, bugs, pros, cons, end. Make it short and sweet.

I honestly hesitate on playing any release thr first year or two. I might buy it if severeky discounted but until all its add-on DLC, and a generous amount of patching I just pass. It doesn't stop me from watching vids and weighing comments.

WOTR GOTY? Eh.. dunno.

J1M

Arcane
I think it's pretty clear that Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will win. It caters to the needs of our community:

lKXk7MK.jpg
Why are game companies hiring furries. Literally what the fuck.
It's the soy version of becoming a missionary. Also, the pay is too low to support a wholesome person with a wife and kids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom